As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Feel the PAIN (It's Out!) -- PSN Network

BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
Pain hits this Thursday guys on PSN.

slingshotpaindl3.jpg

About wrote:
PAIN™ boldly tackles a rarely explored area of video-gaming… comedy. The unique mechanic of the game allows the player to load a character into a human-sized, ultra-powerful slingshot, and fire the character into an active, physics-controlled environment, filled with precarious and humorous situations. Players receive points by stringing together painful collisions and inducing chaos in the environment.

KEY FEATURES

Multiple playable characters each with a very unique personality and attributes as well as character specific in-flight poses.
Plenty of ways to play in both Single and Multiplayer, including modes like Spank the Monkey, Mime Toss, PAIN Bowling, Fun With Explosives, and even more to come in future releases.
Relive every cringe-worthy smash and crash with the replay system in PAINâ„¢. Use the free camera to get the best angle on your best ouchies.
Unique physics model created on Havok powered events, allow for amazing ragdoll animations, while ensuring that duplicating incidents is almost impossible. Keeping gameplay fresh over and over no matter how many times a player is launched into the same environment.
Robust online community feature set lets you compete with other players around the world on Global Leaderboards, track your friend's scores, and connect to the upcoming PAINâ„¢ website, where you can participate in polls, get developer updates, and provide feedback to make for a more PAINful experience in future expansions.

This is one of the PSN downloadable titles I'm kinda excited about. I wish there was abit more of a robust multiplayer mode, but still this game looks like tons of fun.

When people ask me, “Hey Coker, what project are you working on?” I reluctantly tell them that it’s PAIN. I say “reluctantly” because I have found that it’s pretty much impossible to do the game justice without actually having it right in front of someone to show it to them.

Sure, I tell people that it’s a crazy game in which you launch a character from a giant slingshot into a downtown area and smash him into stuff and blow stuff up and you snatch Mimes out of the air so you can slam them through plate glass windows and you blast monkeys out the side of a building in an attempt to stop another player’s character from successfully crashing into bowling pins and you can play as a dude named Ed in a cow suit and so on and so on…

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/11/27/bring-the-pain-thursday/

Bamelin on

• Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Someone download this and tell me if it's cool. When I first heard about it I thought it was kind of hokey and didn't really give it much thought, but now it does kind of look fun. I might get it.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    an active, physics-controlled environment, filled with precarious and humorous situations. Players receive points by stringing together painful collisions and inducing chaos in the environment.

Sounds a lot like that JFK assassination simulator.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Anyone downloaded yet? I'm kinda tempted but I won't do it until I hear from the unwashed masses.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    Magnum's MustacheMagnum's Mustache Registered User new member
    edited November 2007
    I downloaded it last night. It seems like a great game to play with a couple of pals, sitting around, drinking beers, but I'm not sure how long I can sit and play it by myself outside of unlocking features for head to head. That being said, I think it's worth the $10 bucks for the laughs I got playing it for the first time.

Warning: My roommate had a seizure while we we're playing this game. I'm not saying that there is any kind of causal relationship here, I'm just saying that one minute I'm enjoying a beer and a new vid, and the next I'm sitting in the ER until 3 in the morning. No kidding.

Magnum's Mustache on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Why is there no demo for this? It sounds interesting (in the same way that Jackass is interesting) but I would like to try it before I slap down $10 that could be spent on Eye of Judgement boosters.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    LaredenLareden Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    See videos here, here and here.

I was playing through the tutorial and got to the part where you have to perform a "Super Ooch". I can't figure out how to do it. It says once you hit something to shake the controller until the Ooch meter catches on fire. Yeah.... that doesn't seem to work for me. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Lareden on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This game is tons of fun and totally worth the $10.

Lareden: If you've played Resistance, the motion is exactly the same as the one used to shake off fire/tags/etc in that game. A vertical, one-inch, reciprocating motion works well for me. (Probably because I've got plenty of practice at it :winky:)

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Looks like a download tonight for me. Ill post impressions this weekend.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    vandalayvandalay Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lareden wrote: »
    See videos here, here and here.

I was playing through the tutorial and got to the part where you have to perform a "Super Ooch". I can't figure out how to do it. It says once you hit something to shake the controller until the Ooch meter catches on fire. Yeah.... that doesn't seem to work for me. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Hopefully I can help. I spent a good 10+ minutes last night shaking my controller like it was going out of style to perform a "Super Ooch." I had no idea what was going on, especially since everyone I ran into said it was easy to perform.

Then I thought about my Rock Band guitar USB dongle, and had a moment of inspiration. I removed the dongle, then went into the PS3 in-game menu (hit the PS button on the controller) and chose the "Turn off Controller option" and went back to the game.

At this point the game will say, "Please reattach controller 1" (or something) and you can hit the PS button on the controller again.

After that, I could do a Super Ooch within 10 seconds of trying. :)

Do you have Rock Band? I'd be curious if that's the commonality with people experiencing this problem. If not, maybe it's just the act of turning the controller on and off while playing the game. :/

vandalay on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I do have Rock Band. I'll give that a shot. My SIXAXIS was set to number 3 and I couldn't start the game until I changed it to 1 (which you can do without unplugging anything).

First I'll try that 1" vertical motion Lord Yod mentioned. I don't have RFOM, shooters are pretty much reserved for the PC in my mind.

Lareden on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Thanks vandalay!

I must have tried doing that thing for 30 min. When I got home this afternoon I tried various techniques to no avail. Then I unplugged everything from the USB ports, restarted Pain, and voila!

Lareden on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Why is there no demo for this? It sounds interesting (in the same way that Jackass is interesting) but I would like to try it before I slap down $10 that could be spent on Eye of Judgement boosters.

I wish alot of PSN downloadable games had more demo's. It's one thing I really like about XBLA.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Bought it, but I'm hitting the sack soon and won't have time to play until tomorrow.

On an unrelated note, I see that a new map pack for RFOM is out, so I had to grab that too.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    From watching the videos it seems like ragdolls are STILL teflon-coated. I would think 7 processors could crunch some friction at least.:|

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yah, it's Havok physics, so nothing we really haven't seen before.

I really enjoyed what little I did so far. Played through the tutorial, which then "unlocked" the single and multiplayer games. Tell you what this game really reminds me of: the Crash modes in the Burnout game series, where you're trying to put your car at just the right place at the right speed at the right time to cause maximum damage. Substitute a human for the car and you've got the right idea.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Tell you what this game really reminds me of: the Crash modes in the Burnout game series, where you're trying to put your car at just the right place at the right speed at the right time to cause maximum damage. Substitute a human for the car and you've got the right idea.
    Ex-fucking-zactly. I'm really liking this game. I bet I won't even play it that much, but it will be fucking awesome for when friends are over and we have a few goes at it.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Downloaded it and paid the extra dollar to have the big titty christmas chick.

I had a bit of fun with it... theres definitely plenty to do... I laughed out loud a few times especially when I launched cookie into the sewer taking out an old lady and getting creamed by the train TF2 style. I also downloaded Castlevania SOTN and played that the remainder of the evening.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Downloaded it and paid the extra dollar to have the big titty christmas chick.

I had a bit of fun with it... theres definitely plenty to do... I laughed out loud a few times especially when I launched cookie into the sewer taking out an old lady and getting creamed by the train TF2 style. I also downloaded Castlevania SOTN and played that the remainder of the evening.
    Is the titty chick worth it?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    That seems like a question one should never have to ask, IMO. :winky:

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I downloaded the chick. I'm a bit disappointed. She looks like a $10 crack-whore. Oh well, 99 cents I would have just blown on fast-food anyways.

Lareden on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    How does one unlock more play modes? I know there's a bowling game in it somewhere...

Lareden on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    That being said, I think it's worth the $10 bucks for the laughs I got playing it for the first time.

Warning: My roommate had a seizure while we we're playing this game. I'm not saying that there is any kind of causal relationship here, I'm just saying that one minute I'm enjoying a beer and a new vid, and the next I'm sitting in the ER until 3 in the morning. No kidding.

Heartless Bastard!

;)

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Played a little more, are there other levels besides the initial one? I think I've raped that place of all its beauty now.

And nothing is better than knocking out that guy in the horse suit... I get that out of the way first.

MistaCreepy on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    How does one unlock more play modes? I know there's a bowling game in it somewhere...

Bowling is multiplayer only.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Lord Yod wrote: »

Bowling is multiplayer only.
    That's kinda really retarded..

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    How's this for multiplayer? There's the bowling mode I take it, anything else?

Is there only the one city or are there more locations?

Definitely looking at buying this at xmas.

Also, is PSN "PlayStation Network" or "PlayStatioN"?

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Lord ShplaneLord Shplane Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    PSN=Playstation Network

Also, this looks fun. But I don't have a credit card to register with the PS Store, and my dad won't let me use his, so yah, I'm SOL.

Lord Shplane on
    Awww... My evil anime mask guy picture doesn't work. ;_;