As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Comic

• Options
    Rey Del AguilaRey Del Aguila __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    I guess G&T couldn't contain that not only are they better at reviewing games but they are also faster at reporting industry news. Kotaku/Joystiq/Gamasutra watch out.

Rey Del Aguila on
    Because you know who SAID you know what with you know who, let's keep that between me and you.
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    That's awesome.

Not the comic.

That some guy got fired.

I hate people.

We know. You made a thread about it.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    this seems to be the review in question

seems pretty even-handed to me

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    rank you didn't seem to hate me all that much
    but it could have been one of those inner, festering hatreds i've heard so much about

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    ZombotZombot Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Gabriel wrote: »
    The comic is true. You should see the news breaking soon.

Whoa.
    If this comic is true, then I take back what I just said.

Zombot on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Koshian wrote: »
    Lol! wrote: »
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    Can they really fire someone because they gave a game a "meh" review?
    Wiggins, this is america
    Of course they can.

This is a new level of fucking stupid.
    And I know stupid.

they boy's got experience in stupid
    dude like 200 more xp in stupid and he gains a level

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Koshian wrote: »
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    Can they really fire someone because they gave a game a "meh" review?
    Wiggins, this is america
    Of course they can.

This is a new level of fucking stupid.
    And I know stupid.

they boy's got experience in stupid

Someone broke a ping-pong table in gym a couple days ago, because they jumped on it.
    I was like "What the fuck made you think that was a good idea? I knew that was a bad idea."

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    dude jumping on ping pong tables is either
    a. dumb
    b. fuckin' awesome

your friend took a gamble and he lost. there is no shame

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    This wasn't a friend of mine, it was some idiot. I'm not even sure who it was.
    All I know is, goddamn, that was the best table. It was back in this little room, so it was great for playing ping-pong off of the walls and ceiling. No out of bounds, except for the door to the rest of the gym.
    Not anymore, though.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wow, this comic is up really early

Wow, that is some insanely crazy news. I hope the dude can get hired quickly by some other publication.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    can someone explain the second panel to me

also is jeff gerstmann somebody important or something

Zek on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

That really does not seem malicious in any way. It almost sounds like the dude wanted to like it, but he just couldn't.

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Zek wrote: »

Have you visited Gamestop.com lately?
    It looks like they have all kinds of Kane and Lynch shit on there, including a "make your own trailer" thing.
    I know this because I have it open in another tab.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    PiptheFair wrote: »

That really does not seem malicious in any way. It almost sounds like the dude wanted to like it, but he just couldn't.

Could well be an accumulation of dissonant reviews.

the infamous 8.8?

Regardless, get him on 1up yours pronto I wanna hear his side of the story and that seems like the best place to do it.

I always felt that he was the only good thing about Gamespot. I mean, doesnt mean he is awesome or anything but if he got fired by giving an honest review and pissing off sponsors than I fully support him.

Fucking Gamespot.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

he's saying, pretty much, that kane & lynch is advertised so MUCH on the site, that the author of the review damned himself by dissing someone who is putting money into the company

yes

mully on
  • Options
    CriticalCritical Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Have you visited Gamestop.com lately?
    It looks like they have all kinds of Kane and Lynch shit on there, including a "make your own trailer" thing.

Yeah. Basically, the guy gave a game they were pushing heavily on their site a not so stellar review. This made them look like idiots, which they are, because they were pushing the fuck out of shit game. So they canned him.

Critical on
    edesig.jpg
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Him getting fired is great news.

Edit: By which I mean I haven't enjoyed his writing in years. I'm kind of confused that pissing off an advertiser got him fired rather than a pattern or mediocrity.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Jimothy wrote: »
    Quethal wrote: »
    oh look I got the sticky. Also since this is my thread, any comic edits that are not rapturously funny will be met with jailing.

So, someone needs to do an edit with Jesus in it?

Alternatively, they should put Jesus in more comics. It's been a while.

Gabe was in this thread. The very next post, actually.

If Jesus is in the next comic, you can all thank me.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Whatever, he was getting a paycheck for playing video games and writing about it, and then he pissed off those people who in a not so round about way pay those checks. If I paid some ones bills they better know when to keep their mouth shut. Not saying he should have lied but it was a game about a Killer and Sociopath. If he couldn't stomach it he should have asked to get another assignment. Then they could have fired him for not doing his job. These are video games. Manhunt, GTA, Condemned etc. This is the industry he works in. Gabe and Tycho have a really good position in that they only advertise a game if they like it and even then it can get complicated as was the case with Prince of Persia2. Whatever, cry me a river.

Rey Del Aguila on
    Because you know who SAID you know what with you know who, let's keep that between me and you.
  • Options
    CriticalCritical Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Whatever, he was getting a paycheck for playing video games and writing about it, and then he pissed off those people who in a not so round about way pay those checks. If I paid some ones bills they better know when to keep their mouth shut. Not saying he should have lied but it was a game about a Killer and Sociopath. If he couldn't stomach it he should have asked to get another assignment. Then they could have fired him for not doing his job. These are video games. Manhunt, GTA, Condemned etc. This is the industry he works in. Gabe and Tycho have a really good position in that they only advertise a game if they like it and even then it can get complicated as was the case with Prince of Persia2. Whatever, cry me a river.

Did you even read the fucking review?

Critical on
    edesig.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2007

I don't know if you're the stupidest person to ever post on these forums, but I know you're top 5 material.

Tube on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well, who knows the details behind his being fired - maybe this was just a last straw or he flipped off his boss when they confronted him about it or something - but this definitely seems like evidence that they planned in advance for the game to get a good score in conjunction with this ad campaign. Which is more than a little sleezy, regardless of what they do to the reviewer.

Zek on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ok good I'm not the only who thought I was going insane when I read that dude's crazy post

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I don't know if you're the stupidest person to ever post on these forums, but I know you're top 5 material.

Yeah well I am not a mod so...

Rey Del Aguila on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Stupid fuck.
    He didn't say it was too violent/vulgar/coarse/whatever.
    He said it was a good idea, with poor execution.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I kind of respect him.

But then again I have never read any of his reviews so..

Projeck on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I have a friend who does freelance work for Gamespot.

I wonder what he'll think of this

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Are you saying he mod staff fills the top 5 idiot bracket?

MKR on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Hey CT I am sure that if you were quoted in a newspaper or something as saying the people who pay you do a poor job that they would be graceful to you. But I don't think you would say anything.

Rey Del Aguila on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I have a friend who does freelance work for Gamespot.

I wonder what he'll think of this

I hear they may have an opening for a staffer

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    MKR wrote: »

If we're including mods he's like top 20 material.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Hey CT I am sure that if you were quoted in a newspaper or something as saying the people who pay you do a poor job that they would be graceful to you. But I don't think you would say anything.

So he was supposed to lie, because Gamestop was plugging Kane and Lynch?

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Rey should be a D&D mod

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

how high are you currently?

is the answer "so high?"

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    MKR wrote: »

If we're including mods he's like top 20 material.

This isn't including GnT right

Projeck on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

You are missing the point in the most spectacular fashion. You are doing so because you are slow.

Tube on
  • Options
    MathildaMathilda Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    YeahIDontKnowEither.png

You know, actually reading the review before you started flapping your gums might have beeen a good idea.

Mathilda on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    PiptheFair wrote: »

how high are you currently?

is the answer "so high?"

Tell Suave and Carewere hello

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Malice AforethoughtMalice Aforethought Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Can you honestly be so dense? You don't see the conflict of interest here?

Malice Aforethought on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    * Artificial Intelligence is quite lacking
    * Weapons don't feel right
    * Characters and storyline do everything in their power to drive you away from the game
    * No online co-op mode.

This is what I was talking about. Seems he didn't like Kane or Lynch.

Rey Del Aguila on
This discussion has been closed.