As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

On the costuming, or lack thereof, of female characters

themocawthemocaw Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
So I was reading this recent thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=42769 and reflecting on the costuming, or lack thereof, of female characters in video games.

Look, I like some cheesecake as much as anyone else, but ya know, it's getting kinda old. It's even more ridiculous on MMORPGs, where apparently "Full Plate" for guys tends to mean "80 pounds of steel," while "Full Plate" for girls translates to "Stainless Steel bra and thong, if you're lucky." Seriously, it's not that hard to design female characters who look good but don't look like they're on their way to a Girls Gone Wild shoot.

Examples:

Konoko from Oni
Konoko_character_guide_gray.jpg
Skin-tight bodysuit? Check. C-cup boobs on a slim figure? Check. But what makes the outfit believable are the add-ons: assault vest with a backpack, heavy boots with greaves, pouches and so on. Her alternate outfit makes sense too: leather jacket, t-shirt, and jeans. Asskicking gear.

Ayame, Tenchu Sleeveless top, hakama, tabi and sandals with laces up the calves. All in black. Hair drawn back in a tight and high ponytail. Unlike certain other ninja girls, Ayame looks like she's ready to go slit some throats and infiltrate a castle, not lounge on the beach and play volleyball. Oh yes: and her outfit looks like she can actually do a backflip in it and not fall apart.

Her alternate armor outfit tends to look good too.

Thoughts?

themocaw on

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This is how you sell games to overweight sweaty nerds. Duh.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, I'm fine with Sex Sells and all but I need to see the love for the guys as well. Sex up the chicks all you want, I won't use them if I don't like it but when you never sex up the guys the double standard starts to get a little annoying.

I really wouldn't mind if they had multiple costumes for characters as well. Then you can choose to be as slutastic as you want.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Oh man that's what they need. Stainless steel thongs for dudes in games.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DagrabbitDagrabbit Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The worst was Sudeki on the oXbox. My wife came in while I was playing it and cocked her head slightly.

"That outfit seems...improbable."

Dagrabbit on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You know what I would have loved to have seen? Female counterparts of the Team Fortress 2 characters. I think playing as Heavy Weapons Girl would have been hilarious.

Rook on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Rook wrote: »
    You know what I would have loved to have seen? Female counterparts of the Team Fortress 2 characters. I think playing as Heavy Weapons Girl would have been hilarious.
    Okay, I haven't even played the game....but am I the only one who read this and immediately thought of Rosie O'Donnell in a hard hat smoking a stogie while wielding a minigun?

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The costuming of women in video games is improving rapidly. Just off the top of my head:

Alyx Vance in Half-life 2
    Miranda Keyes (as much as I hate her) in Halo 2/3
    Ashley, Tali, and Liara in Mass Effect (the armor looks exactly the same on males and females, only slightly altered to fit. No skin whatsoever)
    Jade in Beyond Good and Evil
    Jenny in The Darkness
    The intel chick from Gears of War

I'm sure if I took some time, I could list off another dozen or two. Sure, you'll still see a lot of games that try to sell purely on sex, but those characters are often forgotten quickly. I think most of the better (and story focused) developers are beginning to realize this.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    skippymchaggisskippymchaggis Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Evangir wrote: »
    The costuming of women in video games is improving rapidly. Just off the top of my head:

Ashley, Tali, and Liara in Mass Effect (the armor looks exactly the same on males and females, only slightly altered to fit. No skin whatsoever)
    Jenny in The Darkness

I'm sure if I took some time, I could list off another dozen or two. Sure, you'll still see a lot of games that try to sell purely on sex, but those characters are often forgotten quickly. I think most of the better (and story focused) developers are beginning to realize this.

A couple more examples off the top of my head:
    Chell in Portal, as well.
    Female costumes in Lord of the Rings Online

skippymchaggis on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Jenny in The Darkness

A couple more examples off the top of my head:
    Chell in Portal, as well.
    Female costumes in Lord of the Rings Online

Now that I think of it, Bioware in general has been very tasteful with female outfits. In Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights (and Obsidian's NWN2), Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and (to a slightly lesser extent) Jade Empire all have strong female characters that wear appropriate-for-ass-kicking clothes.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    The costuming of women in video games is improving rapidly.

It IS getting better but until we have a female character in such loose fitting dumpy clothing that you can't tell how big her tits are not much will have changed.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Magic Pink wrote: »

It IS getting better but until we have a female character in such loose fitting dumpy clothing that you can't tell how big her tits are not much will have changed.

And i'm sure that day will come as soon as the female videogame demographic is as big as the male
    in other words i'm not sure it will ever happen

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Unless you count Matriarch Benezia and her giant, alien melons that look they're about to fall out of her shirt at any moment.

Invisible on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Okay, I haven't even played the game....but am I the only one who read this and thought of Rosie O'Donnell in a hard hat smoking a stogie while wielding a minigun when I read this?

I thought we wanted female?

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    runwiledrunwiled Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

And i'm sure that day will come as soon as the female videogame demographic is as big as the male

And let's not forget this is a trend prevalent in other media. Women have to live up to a much higher body standard than men, and it really is disgusting.

runwiled on
    mpmdoodsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Invisible wrote: »
    Unless you count Matriarch Benezia and her giant, alien melons that look they're about to fall out of her shirt at any moment.

True, there is that... Most characters at least (including just about ever Asari in the game) are conservatively clothed.

Evangir on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I think they'll have to happen at the same time. Which is not really possible.

But, my main point is why not include these as options? It's not like games these days don't have the processing power or available memory.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Also: The female Malkavian costumes in Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines: Colons are pretty hot.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

But, my main point is why not include these as options? It's not like games these days don't have the processing power or available memory.

Because it takes time and resources that could be spent on other things. They'll start putting more options in when the demographic that would appreciate the extra choices is present. That just isn't in place yet.

Evangir on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Well, many games have more female gamers playing them than male gamers. But generally speaking, very few people want to play a potato sack wearing post menopausal woman. That's not just a targetting at male thing, people want there characters to be sexy and sassy. It's a fantasy, and people usually want to be buffer, leaner, taller, tougher, sexier etc.

The problem is generally when does it start becoming exploitative? I mentioned this in the other thread but costume doesn't freak me out as much as the grotesqueness of things like DOAs boob physics (or lack of physics), or Ivy's incredibly expanding cleavage. A2Ms Wet is a good example of just exploiting a character to sell a game.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Because it takes time and resources that could be spent on other things. They'll start putting more options in when the demographic that would appreciate the extra choices is present. That just isn't in place yet.

But I'm right here!

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

But I'm right here!

One person does not a demographic make.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The female Tremere look better than the Malkavians in Bloodlines.

Classy > trashy

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    runwiledrunwiled Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If you look at this another way, you could argue that women being presented as sexual objects in videogames is what keeps the female demograph low in the first place. It's also interesting to look at what games women are playing.

runwiled on
    mpmdoodsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Classy > trashy

Oh I see. I started the Malkavian because it sounded easier from the description... Aren't the Tremere the ones that can't suck the blood of a prostitute or bum? I wasn't sure how hard the game would have been with that.

Trashy girls are better...

urahonky on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    What I don't like about the skimpy outfits is first off they're insulting because they're basically saying I'm just a horny idiot who loves "the boobies", as if they know what I like on my women, and also it prevents me from liking a character. It doesn't matter how well developed their personality is if it looks like their giant gazongas are about to pop out at any moment.

Also I'm all for girls getting a little fanservice with guys. Not of the thong variety because even most women find that sick/hilarious but come on, it's not like I'm going to fear for my sexuality if I see some abs or back.

Gilder on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    urahonky wrote: »

Classy > trashy

Oh I see. I started the Malkavian because it sounded easier from the description... Aren't the Tremere the ones that can't suck the blood of a prostitute or bum? I wasn't sure how hard the game would have been with that.

That's the Ventrue.

Tremere use blood magic.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Classy > trashy
    The Gangrel pwns both of them.

She just doesn't care.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Classy > trashy

That's the Ventrue.

Tremere use blood magic.

I suck.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Classy > trashy

That's the Ventrue.

Tremere use blood magic.

I suck.

hoho

Rook on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, I'm fine with Sex Sells and all but I need to see the love for the guys as well. Sex up the chicks all you want, I won't use them if I don't like it but when you never sex up the guys the double standard starts to get a little annoying.

I really wouldn't mind if they had multiple costumes for characters as well. Then you can choose to be as slutastic as you want.

The guys are pretty unrealistic too. maybe the girls are more often, or to a further extreme, but it's not an issue of gender solely.

Evander on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The females in Valkyrie Profile 2 are pretty well represented. Even Silmeria's breastplate is both modest and actually covers all vital points.
    art-002.jpg
    Edit: Speaking of "knight" style armor, Chris from Suikoden III.
    150px-Chrislightfellow01.jpg

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Classy > trashy

That's the Ventrue.

Tremere use blood magic.

I suck.

hoho

Don't you go changing my words now Rook..!

Oh wait..

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Delzhand wrote: »
    The females in Valkyrie Profile 2 are pretty well represented. Even Silmeria's breastplate is both modest and actually covers all vital points.
    art-002.jpg

Fine example. I really need to play that game.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    art-002.jpg

I really need to finish it. I got to Odin, got completely devastated, and gave up. When your main character is 20 level above everyone else and still gets 1-shotted, it takes the wind out of one's sails...

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I always was a fan of Samus in her armor. She's completely covered but maintains a distinctly feminine shape.

Also, women in DAOC are always fully covered same as the men.

My current gf doesn't really give a damn about this sort of thing so I don't even think about it much. I used to when I was dating a wanna-be feminist (Ms. Equality damn sure never picked up a check!) but not so much anymore.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Oh, this reminds me of Delphi from Giants: Citizen Kabuto. More accurately, from the European version of the game. The devs just decided then to show that poor girl in her full beauty to us lusty gamers. :P

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    art-002.jpg

I really need to finish it. I got to Odin, got completely devastated, and gave up. When your main character is 20 level above everyone else and still gets 1-shotted, it takes the wind out of one's sails...

If we're talking about Suikoden 3, then it's probably a good idea to skip it... I bought it because my friend raved about the first two, but I was really disappointed by 3. I have no idea why, it just felt incredibly tedious to me.

urahonky on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Valkyrie Profile 2 gave you the ability to field a full team of thong warriors...

Frosteey on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Overly sexualized female characters, to me, show how immature the gaming medium still is. It's hard to be called "art" when girls run around in thongs all of the time.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I always was a fan of Samus in her armor.
    Samus would be a good example if there wasn't a reward picture of her stripping if you beat the game quickly enough.

I dunno, it may be the gay speaking, but I don't even know how people can find it attractive.

I mean, certainly you'll concede that
    shII_kallen_costume_0_1.jpg

is infinitely better than
    shII_kallen_costume_1_1.jpg

and that
    shion.jpg

doesn't even make sense.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
This discussion has been closed.