As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Computer Overhaul: Advice?

GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I've been having computer problems for months now. I blame WoW because the problems started there, but really it probably all started with a faulty chipset fan and failing on board sound. I dealt with the sound by getting a Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum, and went without a chipset fan for a while before eventually replacing it with a generic fan that didn't really fit my board but I just stuck on the chipset with thermal tape. Obviously, the system has problems.

Anyway, the system currently has:
Mobo: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, nForce4 chipset, socket 939
CPU: AMD Athlon XP FX-53 (I forget the speed offhand)
RAM: 1GB Corsair XMS DDR RAM
Video: 2x GeForce 6800 Ultra

So at first, I was looking around (mostly on Newegg) for a new socket 939 mobo to replace my Asus. I was hoping the Asus SLI Premium would still be available, but apparently they no longer carry it. The only socket 939 mobo (for ATX cases) they carried that supported SLI was a $50 piece of crap that apparently doesn't post half the time. I don't think that's a good alternative.

Anywho, with Christmas right around the corner I thought this was as good a time as any to look to revamping the system, as all of the components are now over 2 years old. I'd like to replace my mobo, processor, and RAM (I'm hoping a SLI compatible board with the 2x GeForces will still be adequate for video) at a relatively high level for not a lot of money. Not sure if I should go AMD or Intel this time around. I'd like a quick processor, 2-4 GB of RAM, and I'd like to spend less than 1k.

Thoughts?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
Grundlestiltskin on

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    1k is more than enough to replace what you want, and probably would even be enough to upgrade your video card too (which would hold you back with modern processors). Unless you're on a shoestring budget, Intel's Core 2 Duo 6600 is probably the best price/performace processor, even though it's a year old dual core, it's actually pretty comprable to AMDs brand new quad cores, though if you can wait a couple months, peryn is just around the corner. As far as RAM goes, unless you are running a 64-bit OS, 4 gigs will go to waste, and 2 gigs really is enough right now.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    What mobo would you recommend for the Core 2 Duo 6600? Newegg doesn't seem to carry an Asus mobo that supports LGA 775 and SLI (all mini ATX mobos for some reason).

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy