As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What's so great about state rights anyways?

JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
As a Chinese American who moved here in 1994 at the age of 4, I do not see how state rights benefit our modern society of airplanes and cellphones. Please fill me in on how state rights improve our standard of living in 2007. Am I simply ignorant of history?

whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
Jinnigan on

• Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I suppose it was borne out of each state's desire to operate more separately as autonomous agents within the nation instead of having just one, strong central government.

My take on it is the federal government's job is more to handle broad domestic affairs like basic civil rights, and deal with international affairs, like trade or diplomacy. Everything else would be left up to the states to decide, which, in our democracy, is to say the particular population of that segment of land can determine and decide upon their own legal specificities differently than their neighbors. Instead of one national law for anything from traffic speeds to legal procedures, states can interpret and act independently. Choice, freedom, autonomy, etc.

But I'm working off of limited real knowledge here. This is just my impression based on facts and histories I've read and heard over time. My impression is real, and founded on real facts, but the actual knowledge which shaped my opinion... long since gone.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Jinnigan wrote: »
    As a Chinese American who moved here in 1994 at the age of 4, I do not see how state rights benefit our modern society of airplanes and cellphones. Please fill me in on how state rights improve our standard of living in 2007. Am I simply ignorant of history?

A tad. However, as someone who interned at the Massachusetts' State House, I can tell you that the states are inept at ruling effectively. Nowadays, "States Rights" basically mean "we want slavery" and other views that bigots know are not held by the majority. They just want their little island of ignorance.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The more gigantic the bureaucracy, the less effective it is. Localizing efforts allows for a better understanding of local issues. It's hard enough for counties to not overgeneralize between two cities. The interests of one location would also then be at the mercy of other locations: Do you really want Alabama having control over California?

Also keep in mind that the less educated populations tend to breed faster. The more you can reduce the control of the uneducated, generally, the better. :|

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Also keep in mind that the less educated populations tend to breed faster. The more you can reduce the control of the uneducated, generally, the better.

You're not born educated you know...

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    corcorigan wrote: »
    Also keep in mind that the less educated populations tend to breed faster. The more you can reduce the control of the uneducated, generally, the better.

ALABAMA

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007

It's a system that's worked since the birth of the nation. Well... except for the Civil War but we learned a lot since then! Read up on American history and you'll see it's about fair representation for all of the US.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    corcorigan wrote: »

ALABAMA

:cry:

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Podly wrote: »

A tad. However, as someone who interned at the Massachusetts' State House, I can tell you that the states are inept at ruling effectively. Nowadays, "States Rights" basically mean "we want slavery" and other views that bigots know are not held by the majority. They just want their little island of ignorance.
    Yeah, like when Massachusetts decided to allow gay marriage as a states right issue, they were being such stupid god damn bigots. And the idea that big empty states like Montana might not need the same speed limits as Rhode Island, pure racism.

Neaden on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Neaden wrote: »

Yeah, like when Massachusetts decided to allow gay marriage as a states right issue, they were being such stupid god damn bigots. And the idea that big empty states like Montana might not need the same speed limits as Rhode Island, pure racism.

The bastards!

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Neaden wrote: »

Yes, yes it is funny that I didn't mention that states are necessary in a country of America's size.

But I was speaking terms of the overarching American narrative.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The States were initially essentially independent, and grouped together for mutual benefit.

This is basically "So why don't England and France just become one country with one law, they're both in the EU!"

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2007
    I get states right, in some sense. It's good to delegate, and account for differences between the different regions. People who are really into state rights, though? I don't get them.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Locutus ZeroLocutus Zero Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    To the OP: The idea is to localize power as much as possible. There is no reason that someone in Washington DC should be deciding leash laws in Ashville, NC. We want people in Washington DC making choices that can only be made at the national level, like how interact with other countries and where we need naval bases and shit like that.

We want people at our state capital to decide things like how to keep up the road system and shit. We want people at town hall deciding leash laws. We want the home owner to decide what color to paint his house.

The state's rights vs national rights is just the most talked about aspect of this.

Locutus Zero on
    Locutus+Zero.png
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    One argument for them (made by a Supreme Court justice I believe, forget which) is the notion of "laboratories of democracy." What this means is that the states provide a more manageable segment of a democratic government for testing out new ideas in government, and you can get an idea of the effects and difficulties of it. For example, it would be a lot more likely that you could pass something like a universal healthcare system contained within a state than the whole country since political will on that matter will be distributed about the mean. Due to the smaller size, it would also be easier to administrate and could reveal how it would work in practice before trying to move it to a national scale.

Gay marriage is ironically another thing that could benefit from some states rights. Why? Simply because you are a lot more likely to find a couple of states sympathetic to granting marriage contracts for homosexual couples than you are going to get the representatives across the whole country. The problem then is how you deal with out of state marriage contracts, but that is a long discussion by itself.

Savant on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Elki wrote: »
    I get states right, in some sense. It's good to delegate, and account for differences between the different regions. People who are really into state rights, though? I don't get them.

The issue can be used as a Trojan horse for a ton of things, but it isn't really alone in that. Environmentalism has been used politically for a Trojan horse quite a bit as well, and a lot of the corporatists use "free marketism" as a Trojan horse for ends quite contrary to Smith's economics.

Savant on
  • Options
    lunasealunasea Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    According to the Federalist Papers, States serve as a localized government in which the people are better represented through their elected officials. Their reasoning essentially states that a government closer to the people would be more inclined to listen to the people. In addition, State governments and the federal government were supposed to push and pull against each other in order to reach a middle ground to the benefit of the people. Hence, the idea of federalism. States were also supposed to serve as a sort of contingency plan in case the federal government became tyrannical and start impeaching upon the rights of its citizens. But in a world of the CIA, Patriot Act, and the DEA these ideas seem kind of moot.

lunasea on
  • Options
    taco144taco144 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It allows states to decide what is best for themselves. For example, Hawaii shouldnt get 12 million dollars from the federal government each year for snow removal.

taco144 on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well, the power of the individual state has been greatly diminished since the Great Depression, when the National Gov't and FDR starting pulling the nation out of economic distress with increasingly larger federal grants. The states are so damn dependent on this money now that the government has the power to put as many strings attached to the money as it wants; the legal age for alcohol consumption, for example, is a state issue, but is universally accepted as 21 because the US gov't withheld grants to states on something (forgot what it was) until they raised their legal age. Same with the Gag Rule with reference to abortion, although this is more at a local level.

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Savant wrote: »

The issue can be used as a Trojan horse for a ton of things, but it isn't really alone in that. Environmentalism has been used politically for a Trojan horse quite a bit as well, and a lot of the corporatists use "free marketism" as a Trojan horse for ends quite contrary to Smith's economics.

There's few things I hate more than this. The cynicism involved in co-opting a cause because you assume (and sadly are right far too often) that it's members won't notice you manipulating the hell out of them to benefit yourself is depressing.

werehippy on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Savant wrote: »
    The problem then is how you deal with out of state marriage contracts, but that is a long discussion by itself.

Presumably the same way you deal with any other out-of-state contract, i.e. good old Article IV, Section 1, right?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007

Funny you should mention Massachusetts, the only state with legal gay marriage.

Federalism allows for greater experimentation in government. To some extent every state is able to shape its government to its taste, and to its local conditions. This lowers the stakes and the tension surrounding debates at the national level and lets government policy be specialized and focused on local conditions and issues.

Shinto on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Shinto wrote: »

Funny you should mention Massachusetts, the only state with legal gay marriage.

Federalism allows for greater experimentation in government. To some extent every state is able to shape its government to its taste, and to its local conditions. This lowers the stakes and the tension surrounding debates at the national level and lets government policy be specialized and focused on local conditions and issues.

The unintended flip side being it's easier for fringe groups to co-opt a smaller government and yank it wildly to one side or the other. There's a certain, special, kind of stupid that only comes up in mid-size groups.

werehippy on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    State governments are hidden breakwaters defending against the tyranny of the majority.

Or something.

If you trust some French dude a long time ago.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The States were initially essentially independent, and grouped together for mutual benefit.

This is basically "So why don't England and France just become one country with one law, they're both in the EU!"

Actually, there was a proposal to do just that at the beginning of the 20th century.

Also, it's a bit disingenuous to compare say, California and Rhode Island to England and France. England and France are two entirely separate nations, not just political units, and they have been culturally and linguistically separate since the fall of the Roman Empire. California and Rhode Island (and every other state within the union for that matter) have much, much more culturally and linguistic homogeneity than England and France, and they have never been meaningfully separate - aside from distance and local government.

Anyway, Federalism in the U.S. is pretty much a joke. The US federal government operates like a unitary government. When you compare the US to other federated countries like Canada, or Switzerland, you'll see that there is a vast gulf between how a more federal federal system works (Canada/Switzerland) and a less federal federal system (the US). In Canada, for instance, Quebec is able to dictate it's own language and immigration policies - what US state can do that?

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

I'm from Illinois. That is the most truthful truth in existence.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

People are inept at ruling effectively, but my monarch-o-matic isn't complete yet so we'll have to try our best anyway.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Science soon will genetically engineer a human more morally perfect than any man alive. The collective wisdom of 3000+ years of human civilization will be instilled within him, and all of history will be known to him.

We will then, on the dawn of his 21st birthday, grant him control over every nation in the world. Nations which do not recognize his authority will promptly be dominated through fierce diplomacy or force, leaving an entirely compliant and willing world for him to control.

He'll then decide humanity is just too corrupt to live, and secretly plots the destruction of the whole human race by actually acting as the head of a rebel organization bent on bringing his own leadership down. He will fabricate and heighten this feigned conflict until a nuclear apocalypse occurs.

And this summer, it will be up to one lone agent to stop him.

Jet Li is... The Reclaimer!

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The more gigantic the bureaucracy, the less effective it is. Localizing efforts allows for a better understanding of local issues. It's hard enough for counties to not overgeneralize between two cities. The interests of one location would also then be at the mercy of other locations: Do you really want Alabama having control over California?

Also keep in mind that the less educated populations tend to breed faster. The more you can reduce the control of the uneducated, generally, the better. :|

Wouldn't that be an argument against states rights?

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The most important reason for states right is it allows presidential candidates to sidestep touchy issues

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I don't think "states' rights" are always used to sidestep serious issues. Sometimes those politicians sre serious. o_O

Also, how much influence do the uneducated have on the political process anyhow? And really, not just by our impressions of how sour things have gotten, or based on our religious right leaders.

But, aside from that, would you rather one state go to hell being run by a bunch of morons, or for that state to influence decisions on all the states.

I for one choose eugenics.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Tarranon wrote: »

No.

If the dumbass population in the nation reaches 51%+, they would be able to do dumbass things with the entire country at once.

As it stands, the dumbass population can only do that in the specific states in which they reside, and the dumbasses in DC can only mostly do dumbass things to non-dumbass-majority states.

Ya get me?

--

If that's not clear enough: What if George W. Bush was not only president, but also Governor of every single state, all at once?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    State governments are hidden breakwaters defending against the tyranny of the majority.

Or something.

If you trust some French dude a long time ago.

That French dude was pretty smart.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

This.

Also, it allows for little experiments in democracy. Various policies can be tried in certain states, and emulated by others if they work well. Mishaps can be mitigated by not affecting the entire country.

The people who are really into states rights are (typically) probably some breed of xenophobe and/or nationalist.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007

No.

If the dumbass population in the nation reaches 51%+, they would be able to do dumbass things with the entire country at once.

As it stands, the dumbass population can only do that in the specific states in which they reside, and the dumbasses in DC can only mostly do dumbass things to non-dumbass-majority states.

Ya get me?

--

If that's not clear enough: What if George W. Bush was not only president, but also Governor of every single state, all at once?

Well, let's see with this here 51% dumbass thought experiment.

Your way, you've got a 51% stupid country while you're sitting tight in cali. I'd argue that if it's gotten that bad, it wont matter if you're in an enlightened state that much.

in the long run, wouldn't it be more productive to prevent those little islands of stupidity(ie; alabama in your example) from getting really bad?

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Well, let's see with this here 51% dumbass thought experiment.

Your way, you've got a 51% stupid country while you're sitting tight in cali. I'd argue that if it's gotten that bad, it wont matter if you're in an enlightened state that much.

It bought us until 2010 or so before it gets really really bad.

That's at least 10 years on Dubya.
    in the long run, wouldn't it be more productive to prevent those little islands of stupidity(ie; alabama in your example) from getting really bad?

Yes, also if unicorns would prance around in the front yard on Sundays.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Yewjenix? Tyranny?

And can we define "stupidity"? Because if we're talking serious, civil rights infractions here, we're supposed to have constitutional and legal safeguards to protect the people.

It wouldn't matter if 99% of the population wanted to outlaw blacks or gays or something, we can't do it.

Our fight now is getting the idiots to realize that disallowing gay marriage, for instance, falls into the category of "civil rights infractions."

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It wouldn't matter if 99% of the population wanted to outlaw blacks or gays or something, we can't do it.

Uh...

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    TimTheSlothTimTheSloth Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

If you think state govt. is inept you should check out the federal govt.

TimTheSloth on
    redtidesig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I always thought Iowa was just a state you were supposed to point and laugh at(see: their sex offender laws). And then I found out about the Iowa caucus. and then I came to know fear.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Uh...

I couldn't think of a good example. My point was that the very definition of "inalienable" rights protect even 1 person even if 299,999,999 want to take the right away.

JamesKeenan on