As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So, whats the deal with white people? <Culture Association>

An-DAn-D EnthusiastAshevilleRegistered User regular
edited December 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Hopefully I'm not the only one that has noticed/experienced this...but here it is.

Basic Question Of The Thread
Do you think white people are more prone to cultural appropriation?

While there are always exceptions to the rule, I have found that in this age of computers and digital watches, that white people (in the United States at least, not too up-to-date on white-people culture in other countries) seem to try to associate themselves more often with other cultures, than people of other races.

Quick Examples:
- "Wiggers"
- "Wapanese"
- Those people with red hair so they immediately think they're allowed to continuously drink to excess because their 1/100 Irish and its in their blood.
- Or even people that are a quarter-plus Native-American or European (or some other country) and they obsess over that bit of blood and associate 100% of themselves with that aspect.
- Et Cetera

I guess, basically, I want to figure out if this is something other people have noticed as well and if so...why? I'm all about respecting and learning about other cultures, but when you go into the "deep end" as it were and ignore the culture of the country you were born in/live in now, that kind of bothers me....and generally, I've experienced white people doing this a lot more than other races. Is it just some kind of rebellion-thing? Lack of culture in the area?

Hopefully I worded this in a generally understandable way (first D&D topic :winky:)...I found it a bit difficult to put into intelligent words, but there it is.

An-D on

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I foresee this thread ending badly.

But whatever, I'll respond. Do you have any sources for your claim? You're just saying "well, from my experience..." and for all we know there could just be a high amount of white people doing that in your area.

Not to mention, I know a fair amount of black people that act white, as well as asians that act white, and blacks that are obsessed with Japanese culture...

See what I did there?

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    It's a struggle for identity.

ege02 on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    ege02 wrote: »

What a glib generalisation.

Leitner on
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm skeptical of all this "culture association" shit. Look, you aren't born with a culture. You've got to pick it up from somewhere; what's wrong with picking any one group over another?

I think the motivating factor here in the US is that we have comparatively larger areas with a single culture. Since people don't regularly interact with other cultures (you might find the same culture for a thousand kilometers around), they tend to mistake their own culture as a lack of culture. Americans often fall into the trap of seeing themselves as without a culture of their own rather than seeing themselves as part of an American culture.

In Europe, a German can't help but notice that he is a German. He sees frequently the differences between his culture and that of, say, France, a hundred kilometers away. That's less true in America. Here American culture is sort of the baseline, and it tends to fade into imperceptibility if you don't regularly encounter other cultures.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    An-D wrote: »
    - Those people with red hair so they immediately think they're allowed to continuously drink to excess because their 1/100 Irish and its in their blood.
    - Or even people that are a quarter-plus Native-American or European (or some other country) and they obsess over that bit of blood and associate 100% of themselves with that aspect.
    - Et Cetera

The red hair/Irish thing... please, other than anecdotal evidence, offer me some proof. The next point... so what, I should evenly divide (or proportion) my time between two (or more) cultures as to please you/society?

Satan. on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2007
    An-D wrote: »
    Or even people that are a quarter-plus Native-American or European (or some other country) and they obsess over that bit of blood and associate 100% of themselves with that aspect.

I should probably ban fireguy from this topic, so I don't have to read the resulting freakout.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Leitner wrote: »

Fine.

It's a struggle to be different.

ege02 on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    As a Brit, and one who has lived in Scotland for the past 8ish years, I do have to say that there are certain types of American tourists that just have a big neon sign saying "Please take all my money and laugh at me" above their heads. I have no problems with people finding out about their past and maybe having a nice wee trip to Scotland 'cos their great-great grandfather was a quarter Scottish...but then with the buying of everything "Scottish" and the loudly proclaiming of their Scottish identity at every single opportunity just makes me laugh, cringe and die a little inside. I know there's that whole "roots" issue for some people from the States, but it kinda seems that after a few generations what's more important is your family rather than some peasant from the 1800's.

Then again, I don't really care about my family's past that much. I know I'm English for at least the past five generations on both sides of the family and that we've been working class through and through till really my parents' generation. Otherwise, not really something I'm going to waste time and money on.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I have red hair and do not drink to excess. Or at all.

I strain moisture from the atmosphere using millions of tiny nanotubes on the outside of my carapace.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    In general Americans seem to obsess about their ancestry quite a lot; all those celebrations on St Patrick's Day and naming children "the III" and so forth.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Fine.

Still not seeing it. There are a huge variety of differences between various white groups. A Brit is likely going to have less in common with a white american then a black american is. Maybe it's a more American centric occurence with the fact that you have had so much turbulence in the countries make up in the last few hundred years. Still pretty dubious of that though, you anything to support your assertion?

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Fine.

Still not seeing it. There are a huge variety of differences between various white groups. A Brit is likely going to have less in common with a white american then a black american is. Maybe it's a more American centric occurence with the fact that you have had so much turbulence in the countries make up in the last few hundred years. Still pretty dubious of that though, you anything to support your assertion?

Just my cynicism.

ege02 on
  • Options
    Locutus ZeroLocutus Zero Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well, assuming this is a legitimate phenomenon in America, it would make sense that it would only manifest in white people. They are the only racial group in America without an built-in culture. We have our shared American culture, but being a white American doesn't come with any "old country" or culture.

Locutus Zero on
    Locutus+Zero.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2007
    BobCesca wrote: »
    As a Brit, and one who has lived in Scotland for the past 8ish years, I do have to say that there are certain types of American tourists that just have a big neon sign saying "Please take all my money and laugh at me" above their heads. I have no problems with people finding out about their past and maybe having a nice wee trip to Scotland 'cos their great-great grandfather was a quarter Scottish...but then with the buying of everything "Scottish" and the loudly proclaiming of their Scottish identity at every single opportunity just makes me laugh, cringe and die a little inside. I know there's that whole "roots" issue for some people from the States, but it kinda seems that after a few generations what's more important is your family rather than some peasant from the 1800's.

Then again, I don't really care about my family's past that much. I know I'm English for at least the past five generations on both sides of the family and that we've been working class through and through till really my parents' generation. Otherwise, not really something I'm going to waste time and money on.

They're pretty weird over here, too. "I'm 10% Scottish, 15% German, 25% Irish, and 50% Swedish." I never saw people talk much about where their great, great, great grandparents came from before coming here.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Elki wrote: »

They're pretty weird over here, too. "I'm 10% Scottish, 15% German, 25% Irish, and 50% Swedish." I never saw people talk much about where their great, great, great grandparents came from before coming here.

It is something people take pride in.

It's not wrong.

Just pathetic.

You are not your parents or your grandparents.

Like I said, struggle for identity.

ege02 on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's a pity because America has a huge, unique cultural identity and actually exports a lot more culture than it realises. History and a country's longevity only make up a very small part of a country's culture.

The trouble with trying to adopt another culture is that unless you actually move and actively live in the midst of that other culture, you can't really wholly identify with it. You get a warped idea of 'tradition' and stereotypical views of what that culture is about.

Janson on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Elki wrote: »

Its a nation populated by successive waves of immigration from an extremely wide variety of countries and cultures. I hardly find it surprising that people talk about where their ancestry is from.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2007
    I personally think its a suburban disease. I when I'm living in DC/maryland theres plenty of pride in the area and years of standing history that even the highschools have records to be broken and history to be understood.

When I was in North Carolina in the suburban sprawl that is the research triangle, I was surrounded bu kids from every state, randomly uprooted and thrown into a new high school. Not only was my campus only about 2 maybe 3 years old when I got to it, but a majority of the kids in my age group had maybe moved in at about the end of middle school.

I wouldn't say that the white kids were cultureless, or rampantly clinging to other cultures because I think that alot of the pretty influential/popular cultures that area are inherently white (Preppy/sports, Skaters, Indie rock and Garage bands). But I think that alot of Identity crisis occurs. Perhaps kids that don't identify one of those social cultures in suburbia rationalize and claim their independence from the suburbs by clinging to something outside of it.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It's far from being the only country to have experienced large numbers of immigrants from a variety of cultures, yet what Elki is describing is pretty unique to the US only.

Janson on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    In general Americans seem to obsess about their ancestry quite a lot; all those celebrations on St Patrick's Day and naming children "the III" and so forth.

You kidding? Most people probably couldn't tell you what state their great grandparents were born in, let alone where their ancestors came from.

My best guess is I'm 45% German, 40% English, 10% Irish, and 5% Other. The only reason I even know that is my dad was into geneology for a while. I've never given a shit.

As for those examples, St. Pat is a day when everyone pretends to be Irish, even or especially if you have no Irish ancestry. And I've never met an American, or anyone, named "the III". Even Jrs are rare without maybe looking back a generation or two.

Scooter on
  • Options
    thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Perhaps because we're largely taught in school that America is a "melting pot," so people begin to wonder what they are, ignoring the large amounts of American culture that we all grow up. All I have is anecdotal evidence, but many people I know seem to be obsessed with their ancestors and finding out what other people are.

thanimations on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Janson wrote: »
    It's far from being the only country to have experienced large numbers of immigrants from a variety of cultures, yet what Elki is describing is pretty unique to the US only.

Its more or less the same in Canada, though theres a much larger French influence of course. And while there are other countries that have experienced immigration from many places, how many of those countries have the vast majority of their population descended from immigrants in the last, say, 100 years?

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Australia's always a good example.

Janson on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I don't understand what the big deal is here. My mother's Latin-American and my dad is mainly Irish-American, and I'm proud of both of those heritages. It's not 'pathetic, and it's certainly not a 'disease'. It's just something to be proud of. I do consider myself an American first and foremost, and I love my country but I'm proud of my European and Latin heritages all the same.

People here identify themselves by their heritages to differentiate themselves from other Americans and to have something to take pride in. There's nothing wrong with that.

Food on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    black americans are arguably as removed from old country culture as whites are. Now maybe it's because most black americans wouldn't be able to find out where in Africa they're from, but there seems to be less interest in that sort of thing in the black community?

Sam on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Food wrote: »
    I don't understand what the big deal is here. My mother's Latin-American and my dad is mainly Irish-American, and I'm proud of both of those heritages. It's not 'pathetic, and it's certainly not a 'disease'. It's just something to be proud of. I do consider myself an American first and foremost, and I love my country but I'm proud of my European and Latin heritages all the same.

People here identify themselves by their heritages to differentiate themselves from other Americans and to have something to take pride in. There's nothing wrong with that.
    Everyone read this again.

Locutus Zero on
    Locutus+Zero.png
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think the big problem is with the category of "white." It covers too many things, and that's where the problem is. I thought about this during one of those stupid "why is there no white history month" conversations (where people hate it when you bring up Irish Heritage Month, Italian Heritage Month, etc.)

If you don't look at a culture as "white," but as the subcategory then you see, well, more culture.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    BobCensa wrote:

Thats pretty much what I'm trying to talk about. Its great to have some curiosity and pride about where you came from, but theres a point where it just becomes...well, for no better word really, foolish. I was born in the United States, so I associate myself with that...pretty much without question. Its kind of weird that that just doesn't come naturally to others (to me anyway).

An-D on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Why?

Why can't you simply be your own person? Why do you have to be "American" or "Turkish" or "Latin"?

Why do people feel such a strong urge to identify themselves with their nationality? Why are you feeling pride with that nationality? Even if your ancestors did great things, they were different people; they were not you. The fact that you carry some of their genes does not entitle you to any pride, because having someone's genes doesn't make you that person.

ege02 on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Why?

Why can't you simply be your own person? Why do you have to be "American" or "Turkish" or "Latin"?

Why do people feel such a strong urge to identify themselves with their nationality? Why are you feeling pride with that nationality? Even if your ancestors did great things, they were different people; they were not you. The fact that you carry some of their genes does not entitle you to any pride, because having someone's genes doesn't make you that person.

People don't exist in fucking vacuums.

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Greeper wrote: »

Why?

Elaborate.

ege02 on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Greeper wrote: »

Why?

Elaborate.

I'll certainly try:

People have identities. These come from a lot of different things. You aren't your parents or your grandparents, but they lived so that you could. Lots of your ancestors gave up a lot to continue their family line (maybe), your country also doesn't exist without the people in it. Your country is made up of the people in it.

You kind of owe the things that created you to do good by them. Your family, your friends, and yeah, your country.

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I never said you didn't owe them anything.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Why?

Why can't you be both your own person AND your culture? Is it silly to be truly prideful that your great-great-whatever did something? Sure. Is it silly to pretend no one in your family and heritage existed before your grandparents? Yep.

Locutus Zero on
    Locutus+Zero.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Why?

Why can't you be both your own person AND your culture? Is it silly to be truly prideful that your great-great-whatever did something? Sure. Is it silly to pretend no one in your family and heritage existed before your grandparents? Yep.

False dichotomy. Not feeling family or national pride does not equate to not loving your family or nation or not recognizing their existence.

ege02 on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Some of us maybe just like history.

Some of us enjoy a sense of community. I think this is the big one, really. Humans are not solitary creatures.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    FawfulFawful __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Well it's not like you earned it or anything, so where does that feeling of pride come from? I don't really understand it. Personally, I feel pride when I get recognition for an actual accomplishment, such as when I graduated college, or when I got promoted at my job. But feeling proud just because you were born? Eh.

Fawful on
    hytd.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Fawful wrote: »
    Well it's not like you earned it or anything, so where does that feeling of pride come from? I don't really understand it. Personally, I feel pride when I get recognition for an actual accomplishment, such as when I graduated college, or when I got promoted at my job. But feeling proud just because you were born? Eh.

Yeah. I feel like the only rational reason for feeling pride is personal accomplishments.

People do have a sense of identity that is related to family and nation, but I don't see how pride factors into that.

ege02 on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

Why?

False dichotomy. Not feeling family or national pride does not equate to not loving your family or nation or not recognizing their existence.

you aren't recognizing things which defined their existence.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Yes, their existence, not yours.

I mean the whole thing is basically about claiming a piece of the glory on the basis of association.

ege02 on