As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Resurrection of FASA?

MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
So did anyone see this? Did a cursory search and found no mention of it.

http://www.smithandtinker.com/news/

Apparently this is Jordan Wesiman's (founder of FASA) new company, and he has bought the 'electronic entertainment' rights back to Mechwarrior, Shadowrun, and Crimson Skies.

Is it too much to hope for? A Shadowrun game that's actually an RPG? A real successor to Mechwarrior?

A man can dream...

Killjoy wrote: »
No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
MolotovCockatoo on

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've been playing a bit of Anarchy Online since it's free now and it had me thinking.
    If they ever made a good Shadowrun MMORPG, I will never see the sun again.

Djiem on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2007
    I'll be playing Shadowrun IRL in December 2012.

Echo on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Echo wrote: »

you're under arrest for pre-crime how do you plead

shitpost aside, man, a no-shit Shadowrun MMO would basically mean I would forget what color the sky is. I hope this news pans out.

Ledneh on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2007
    Ledneh wrote: »

Immortal elves told me to do it.

Echo on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's gonna be awesome. I'll be at my PC, playing some hacker who's at his PC. It's like metagaming. There are layers.

Djiem on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    god I would kill for a new mechwarrior sim

i would fry people with PPCs and stomp on their houses and launch SRMs at their children

Brolo on
  • Options
    TxdoHawkTxdoHawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'd like a new Shiny Mechwarrior, a real one on the PC, not that "FPS with a Mech skin" stuff that MechAssault basically was.

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Man, if they make a real battletech game again (as opposed to the bull crap they put onto the Xbox) I will ruin so many pairs of pants.

...so many...

see317 on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Rolo wrote: »

i would fry people with PPCs and stomp on their houses and launch SRMs at their children

fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap oh god it chafes fap fap fap

Lemming on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Make me a new Crimson Skies.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Would it be compatible with the Steel Battalion controller?

Couscous on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

When alphaware comes out, wait and spring for the delta, except for the datajack, because that's low enough essence and way too awesome to wait for.

piL on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

I would throw countless dollars into building PC rig worthy of a new MechWarrior game comptabile with the Steel Battalion controller D:

Crank some "crowd control" action with an Urban Mech and an AC5. Cop that protesters!!
    MW2M reference :D

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    OK here we go:
    The intro begins with a camera following the front of a Mad Cat II stomping forwards, firing lazors. Pans up, two brigands fly overhead, one firing rockets, with an airship just visible behind them. Camera flicks back and shows a couple of Daishis kablooming. The camera looks through the pilot's eyes, then the perspective fisheyes and fades to blue. The camera moves back to see the scene through a monitor, with a teched-up elf watching the entire scene.

It should be called Crimson MechRun.

Suriko on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Suriko wrote: »
    OK here we go:
    The intro begins with a camera following the front of a Mad Cat II stomping forwards, firing lazors. Pans up, two brigands fly overhead, one firing rockets, with an airship just visible behind them. Camera flicks back and shows a couple of Daishis kablooming. The camera looks through the pilot's eyes, then the perspective fisheyes and fades to blue. The camera moves back to see the scene through a monitor, with a teched-up elf watching the entire scene.

Eh.. well I've heard worse...

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Suriko wrote: »
    OK here we go:

A proper mechwarrior intro is not complete without the POV mech getting killed horribly.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=-X3GD0UnBCk
    http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=KPlXXUhtVqc&feature=related
    http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=at9hxU864Fg&feature=related

Brolo on
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ledneh wrote: »

shitpost aside, man, a no-shit Shadowrun MMO would basically mean I would forget what color the sky is. I hope this news pans out.

You and me both. Dear god I pine for a truly good cyberpunk MMO. No WoW clones plzkthx. Something with real honest to god social systems and player run everything. Kinda like EvE, but without the spaceships and time based skill progression.

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    MechWarrior 5 please, it would help me forget MechWarrior 4.

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Obligatory statement that the Wiimote and nunchuck would be an excellent controller for a big stompy mech game. Maybe not enough buttons, though you could throw in a few nunchuck gestures as well.

jothki on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    New Crimson Skies please!

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

What does this mean? Like, an oXbox game? It's my understanding that the SB controller isn't compatible with the 360, and getting it to work with a PC involved several additional pieces of hardware and software.

Also, in my opinion the SB controller was pretty bad compared to the kinds of setups you can get for a PC, which give you access to more buttons, switches and axes without moving your hands off the stick and throttle.
    jothki wrote:
    Obligatory statement that the Wiimote and nunchuck would be an excellent controller for a big stompy mech game. Maybe not enough buttons, though you could throw in a few nunchuck gestures as well.

Do you mean a mouse-driven one, like Mechwarrior 3 or Starsiege, or a lighter game like MechAssault? The remote doesn't seem like a good fit for the kind of giant robot game that's usually designed for joystick+throttle+keyboard; shaking the remote to switch from active to passive radar or lock a target sounds kind of hokey, at least to me.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    As much hate as Mech 4 got, it was the best balanced for multiplayer, and anyone that says different didn't play in a league. Mech 2/3 were awesome, but their multiplayer was buggy and all kinds of broken.

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Screw a new mechwarrior game (not really), what I want is a new MechCommander

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Velmeran wrote: »
    As much hate as Mech 4 got, it was the best balanced for multiplayer, and anyone that says different didn't play in a league. Mech 2/3 were awesome, but their multiplayer was buggy and all kinds of broken.
    Oh dear, don't you dare speak bad words about MechWarrior 3's multiplayer. MW3's multiplayer was all kinds of awesome bundled in more awesomeness.

Don't you dare.

squirly on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Orogogus wrote: »
    jothki wrote:

Do you mean a mouse-driven one, like Mechwarrior 3 or Starsiege, or a lighter game like MechAssault? The remote doesn't seem like a good fit for the kind of giant robot game that's usually designed for joystick+throttle+keyboard; shaking the remote to switch from active to passive radar or lock a target sounds kind of hokey, at least to me.

Mouse-driven, I'm thinking that the Wiimote configuration would parallel a mech with the legs and turret largely disconnected fairly well. Like I said, lack of buttons would probably be the biggest issue. You might be able to work around it with clever menu design, though.

jothki on
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Why didn't people like Mechwarrior 4?

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The problem with Mechwarrior is that I don't think anyone can think of a way to improve on the core gameplay of Mechwarrior 2.

So then you are kind of stuck, aincha?

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    The problem with Mechwarrior is that I don't think anyone can think of a way to improve on the core gameplay of Mechwarrior 2.

So then you are kind of stuck, aincha?
    Good point. Hmm..

1. Take core MW2/3 gameplay
    2. Beef up the graphics
    3. Expand upon everything that is MW, for example, have dropships more than just cool parts of the story, and so on.

So, they wouldn't need to necessarily change the core gameplay, just take what's there and slightly expand upon it, take advantage of modern computers, etc. Of course, to do this you'd really need some of the old MW developers and just people who know MechWarrior, especially so to not upset fans and since fans for MW would be us old school kids, some of us tend to be incredibly vocal and take all failures by devs to heart.

squirly on
  • Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Mercenaries was the best MW game. Awesome customization of Mechwarrior 2 with strategic money management simulator? Yes please. I mean the others were cool and all but it lost a little bit of flavor in my opinion when you could just choose whatever kitted-out mech you wanted for a mission.

My favorite was a Daishi (can't remember the clan name) with a small laser in every conceivable slot. I would alpha strike and a mech-shaped laser wall would fly out (and usually I would blow up from the heat). That and I liked buidling mechs around one giant weapon, like Firemoths with a gauss rifle and jump jets and loads of ammo/heat sinks, or Kodiaks with double UAC20's so I could just lumber around blowing legs off in one shot.

God I remember when MW2 came out and I was BLOWN. AWAY. by the fact that you could shoot the individual limbs and pieces off of mechs. Sooo cool.

MolotovCockatoo on
    Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I really need to load up these games now that I have a grasp and understanding of both the rules and universe. At the time I kept wondering why I couldn't fire my Quad-PPCs more then once before needing an emergency shut down.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My favourite mission in Mercenaries was that one in the ice freighter. Mainly because I always lost.

My favourite Mechwarrior 2 mission was that one where you blew up the nuclear powerplant and had to retreat to a distance of kilometres

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    ValernosValernos Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Djiem wrote: »
    It's gonna be awesome. I'll be at my PC, playing some hacker who's at his PC. It's like metagaming. There are layers.

And the reality filter for your hacker could be sitting at a PC, playing a game with a character that hacks in to systems.

Wouldn't that dumpshock be fun!

Valernos on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Spoit wrote: »
    Screw a new mechwarrior game (not really), what I want is a new MechCommander

after the abortion that was mechcommander 2 I just want some good mechwarrior 5 with nice solid matchmaking service.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Shadowrun MMO
    I picture logging in and getting an email about a `service' for a `mutual friend', going to meet with the Johnson, and having an 80% chance of it ending in a firefight before you even got the `quest'. Then you'd get in the car, drive through machine gun fire, explode and make a new character.

AWESOME

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    God I remember when MW2 came out and I was BLOWN. AWAY. by the fact that you could shoot the individual limbs and pieces off of mechs. Sooo cool.

You could do that on the original Mechwarrior. In fact, mechs were more destructible than in MW2.

And my goodness, the Battlemaster's head was an easy target.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    A mechwarrior MMO would work in a EVE-Online kinda way, where permanent loss is the way to go. If you just get to magically keep your mech and parts after fighting, then its all arcade style, and thats so not what Mechwarrior is about.

That being said, there are ALOT of things they could do to make MW2 better, expecially hit box and systems. I would of liked to see individual pieces of armor being blown off exposing systems that I can then take out. Environments also could finally play a bigger role then they ever did in any of the MW games. It's always been more about hiding behind a object, or below, I want to see city scapes we can go into, knocking down buildings on people so they have to spend some time getting backup, cave ins, and other wild things (Space and the ocean are a must).

I'd also kill for a Heavy Gear 3.

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Thank God. I guess Weisman finally got fed up with Microsoft Games Studio. Which also means that MGS lost one of its more creative internal directors.

Also keep in mind that Weisman can't go more than 3-4 years without making a new company. He does it for fun, just like he makes new games. But yeah.. I can only see this as a good thing.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    all my dicks are coming at once.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    All of you Mechwarrior people need to get out of my Shadowrun thread.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    >>>>>[Fraggin' A, chummer.]<<<<<
    - Hayasa (12:04:43/12-8-67)

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg