Options

Installing Windows 2000 on a SATA HDD

urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R haterRegistered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
So here's the deal:

I have this Windows 2000 disk, and I need to get this OS installed on this SATA HDD. The HDD is recognized by the BIOS just fine, and even by Dell's handy dandy "Hard Drive tester". Both of these check out just fine.

So I boot up the Windows 2000 disk, and get through the first prompt then it says: "Unable to find a Hard Disk to install Windows 2000 onto. Hit F3 to quit."

Fuck. Okay... So I went to Dell's website and looked around for a SATA driver of some sort. I found a few, burned the image to a floppy, and hit F6 when the Windows 2000 first starts up. It finds the driver, and goes through it's normal prompts.

I get to the same part, and it still can't seem to install the SATA drive. Any ideas?

urahonky on

• Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You'll have to pick the option called "Third Party RAID driver" during the install and then pick the driver there.

Samphis on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Samphis wrote: »
    You'll have to pick the option called "Third Party RAID driver" during the install and then pick the driver there.

Yeah F6 at the beginning. :( I've tried that. I'm using a Western Digital HDD, and their website doesn't have any floppy drivers for it. :(

urahonky on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You need the driver for the SATA controller, not the HDD. If you post your model of Dell PC, we can probably narrow it down for you.

Also, you can try embedding it into the Win2K disc using a tool like nlite.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You need to find your motherboard's drivers for the SATA interface and copy them to a floppy or CD and load those after hitting the F6.

When you went to Dell's website, did you do the "driver download" section and input your service tag?

I would suggest doing that and download (and extract as they all come in .exe packages) all of the SATA controller drivers from there. If those don't work (if that's what you did already) then perhaps call up Dell and ask them about what brand motherboard or SATA controller you are using and download some drivers from the manufacturer directly.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Bah!! I found it. Well.. I don't know what I found, but it's working now. I went into the BIOS and started enabling a TON of stuff related to SATA (none of which sounded correct, but I was desperate).

Thanks for the help guys :P Sorry for taking your time up.

urahonky on