As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Better Sleep

The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Falling to sleep has always been an annoyance for me, it usually takes around an hour to drift off. But lately, I just toss and turn in my bed. I was wondering if there are any special techniques or steps I can take to fall asleep faster.

LuciferSig.jpg
The_Lightbringer on

• Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Step 1 to any sleep related problem is to go to bed and wake up around the same time each day. If you do that for a week and still can't fall asleep easily then you should probably seek the advice of a doctor.

To help get you into the rhythm you can try some herbal remedies. Valerian root and melatonin are just two, if you go to your local pharmacy I'm sure you'll find some others. You could also try something like Unisom or Sominex but I'd advise against it because you'll become dependent on them.

edit:

Also, what you are doing in the hour leading up to getting into bed will have an effect on how fast you can fall asleep. Basically, anything electronic related isn't going to help. Grab a book and I'm promise your eye lids will feel like sandbags in no time.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Reading is good. Exercising during the day is good. Eating healthy is good.

I enjoy Melotonin, they're sleeping pills. Obviously if you take too many you can become addicted, so take them once or twice a week and you'll sleep like a rock.

Honestly, the first line of stuff works for me.

urahonky on
  • Options
    snarkssnarks Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Exercise is always good at putting me to sleep. Also, maybe cut back on caffeine a little bit?

Another tip is to save the bedroom for sleeping; if you can't get to sleep and know you won't get to sleep for a while, don't just lie in bed or mull around the bedroom, get up and only come back to your bedroom when you are ready to sleep.

This place has more good tips:
    http://www.helpguide.org/life/sleep_tips.htm

snarks on
  • Options
    alcoholic_engineeralcoholic_engineer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I usually have a horrible time falling asleep. The one way that I easily nod off is to be tired. It sounds obvious, but if you are sleeping in a little (say 9 hours a day or something) knock it back an hour. Getting up is a little more painful but if you keep at it, you will notice that you function just as well on less sleep, and going to bed is a hell of alot easier. I find this usually works best by getting up an hour early as opposed to staying up an hour later.
    Getting up sucks, but after it becomes a routine, it will work.

Failing that, dont watch tv or use a computer an hour before bed- read a book or something.

Valerian root and melatonin work, but should be avoided if possible. I save mine for the nights I have to go to bed early or when it is essential I get a good nights sleep (ie finals)

alcoholic_engineer on
  • Options
    tracertongtracertong Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Jack off 15 minutes before you hit the bed. If you have a space heater in your room turn it on.

tracertong on
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    tracertong wrote: »
    Jack off 15 minutes before you hit the bed. If you have a space heater in your room turn it on.

It's good the body and the mind.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Put on a video/audio recording of The Joy of Painting with Bob Ross.

Seriously, that man's voice is like horse tranquilizers for the ears.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    All sound advice, thanks!

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Don't watch TV before sleeping, up to like 2 hours. Don't sit on the computer, if you want to read something, print a bunch of stuff out and read a hard copy, or a book. This will help a lot more than you think.

Also if nothing works, try having 3mgs of melatonin(OTC) 2-3 hours before bed.

variant on
  • Options
    BlochWaveBlochWave Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Don't actually read lying down IN bed, your brain will associate lying down in bed with reading. Same with watching TV in bed. Make your bed solely for sleep. If you don't have anything forcing you to have a schedule like work or school, it can be hard, then you get all screwed up and when you DO end up on a schedule(helllooo graduating college and going to work 8-5 :( )you'll be all manner of screwed for a while

Don't drink caffeine less than a few hours before bed at best, don't eat right before bed, don't exercise, etc. You get everything you need to do done then you wind down. The most important thing is to hit a routine. Usually the problem for me was sleeping late on a weekend then ending up being up late before having to wake up early on Monday, then napping when I got home from school, staying up late, waking up early, napping, etc. Vicious. And then when you DO stave off the nap and get to sleep on time, it takes another week of doing it right before you start to feel right.

Good times

BlochWave on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Try to cut sugar and caffiene out of your diet.

Exercise when you first get home from work / school if you dont already get regular physical activity.

Dont do anything stimulating for about an hour before you want to sleep. That can include reading if you are like me and get too easily engrossed in your books. I cant even just catch up on the forums because it will set my mind spinning on different possibilites and solutions to problems.

A very light non sugar snack an hour before bed can help. Dry sandwich with no spreads or condiments / no sugar yogurt. Maybe a glass of milk or water.

Also, make sure to not nap during the day. Sometimes I can get away with a 45min nap at the most (if I only got 4 or 5 hours the night before). If you do an hour or more, you run the risk of hitting deep sleep that can make you more alert.

Sometimes I also brush my teeth an hour before bed, so that the minty toothepaste doesnt make me feel alert.

I have a shift that means I have to be in the office by 5:30am so I'm usually up at 4:30am and trying to get to sleep around 9:00pm.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski