As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Free Virus Protection

FutoreFutore Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
My computer has recently been owned by some awfully designed virus/spyware/adware.

Regardless of it's ridiculous attempts to get me downloading its products, it's slowing down my computer and getting annoying.

I'm broke and need help?

Anyone know of a good virus protection that is free? Or if someone has an extra subscription code lying around? Any help would be appreciated beyond belief.

ETqXK.png
Futore on

• Options
    snarkssnarks Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sounds like you need anti-spyware software more than anti-virus, but having both never hurts...

for starters, I'd run Adaware and then Spybot: S&D. Both are free.
    Then, I'd either download a free anti-virus program like AVG, or run an online free virus scanner like Trend Micro House Call ( http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ )

snarks on
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Download windows defender from Microsoft. most likely you got spylocked/Winfixer. Is there a piece of annoyance that sits next to the clock saying you system may not be secure?

It's a pretty nasty sucker that weeds it's way in because some page told you you needed a codec for a video and you were dumb enough to click on it and run the executable, or it took advantage of a javascript/IE URI overflow bug.

I've just been formatting computers when I see them at work with that. The bugger digs it's way into the system files, and is constantly updated by the company that makes the program.

halkun on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Avast! or AVG for antivirus,

Windows Defender AND Sypbot S&D for spyware.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    CojonesCojones Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Avira Antivir is ten kinds of rad as far as free antivirus software goes.

Spybot + Ad-Aware 2007 + Windows Defender is also something of a requirement.

Cojones on
    exmac.png