Options

Behold the [Chat] soldier control the globe slowly

• Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Good god, I hope noone has the idea to put up such a database over here. D:

Yeah, it's really one of the worst things ever. You'll get these indignant rednecks that defend it all the time, but have no functional understanding of things like the Bill of Rights or criminal psychology.

Come to think of it, I wonder if it's the same crowd that advocates lethal punishments for offenders all the time.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    If there is an OhioPAX, playing outside shall be on the agenda.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    My folks didn't use violence, they actually secluded me. I was unable to watch television, go outdoors, play video games, or anything else. I was told to stay in my room, meals were brought to me, and I could read books for two hours a night. I did that twice and after that I never fucked up again until college, or at least I didn't get caught. : )
    I got sent to my room once... my parents forgot they had left the laptop in my room when I was tinkering around with Linux (I quickly came to my senses). An hour later my dad bursts into the room and I'm making a failing effort at coding. He just laughed.

Satan. on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I can't believe that there are people that look down on parents who use things like the belt judiciously.

My mom had a belt she kept specifically for the purpose of beating me with.

Swear to god, it was called "the skull belt" for it's skull modeled buckle. Imagine the fucking terror.

"Don't make me get the skull belt out!"

I bet you were one well behaved child. D:

Watching my brother get the belt for being feisty was enough to keep me in line 99% of the time.

Uh, actually no. Not really. Not at all, actually. In fact, you could argue the only reason she had or needed it (and used it often) was because I was so bad.

It's ok, though. She didn't just use the belt. She had a talent for improvisation.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, you want to know what will make a sex offender relapse? Fucking publicly humiliating him, driving him out of school and turning him into a social outcast.

You're assuming you know the motivation. There's more than one, you know, much as feminists wrongly claimed the opposite twenty years ago.

If you don't think putting up fliers of someone being a sex offender around campus is going to utterly destroy someones social status and completely humiliate them then you are daft as all fucking hell.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Maybe it's because of the recent stories about Sex offenders reoffending and killing kids (there were a couple in tacoma that killed some young kids). I just don't think there is a problem with pointing it out that there is a potential danger to other kids at the school from one of their own. Washington has a horrible track record as of late with losing track of dangerous offenders and I wouldn't put it past them to put someone very apt to reoffend back into a situation that allows it to happen.

And yeah I don't think he should get to have a normal life, at the age of 16 he got convicted of a pretty serious sex offense. You are not normal anymore at that point.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Man all I did when I was a kid was play tag. Hell, not just tag dorky tag like those variations you make up when you're really bored but it would be dinosaurs or Star Wars or something because I went to a small school full of nerds.

My girlfriend used to play Mercy though, and like... "hit each other until one of us bleeds" games like that. She got really sad around like 3rd grade when suddenly 5'1" wasn't so tall and she stopped being able to bust heads quite so handily.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Preacher wrote: »
    Maybe it's because of the recent stories about Sex offenders reoffending and killing kids (there were a couple in tacoma that killed some young kids). I just don't think there is a problem with pointing it out that there is a potential danger to other kids at the school from one of their own. Washington has a horrible track record as of late with losing track of dangerous offenders and I wouldn't put it past them to put someone very apt to reoffend back into a situation that allows it to happen.

And yeah I don't think he should get to have a normal life, at the age of 16 he got convicted of a pretty serious sex offense. You are not normal anymore at that point.

Way to fuck over any chance of rehabilitation.

I'm off for class, later.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My dad always made me choose the belt. I would go into his closet and come out holding this super thin cloth belt he had every time. He'd just give me The Look and say "Nice try."

My dad is a scary, scary man when angry. I'm bigger than him now, am out of college, live on my own, etc. etc. and I would still be terrified of him if he started yelling.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, you want to know what will make a sex offender relapse? Fucking publicly humiliating him, driving him out of school and turning him into a social outcast.

Or what will allow him to reoffend is him blending into society earning trust from those around him and then repeating his offense. A kid of that age commiting a sexual crime to warrant a class 2 or 3 ranking is someone I'd not want any of my future children around ever.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited December 2007
    My parents beat the hell out of me when I misbehaved or defied them. From getting smacked with spoons and hairbrushes to belts and fists. It's hard to actually draw a correlation here, but I turned out to be a very defiant and intransigent young man with authority issues. It's almost as though I sought out fights and beatings when something seemed "wrong" to me.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Some extreme, isolated cases are not necessarily indicative of the entire community of offenders. It's true that sex offenders are least likely to rehabilitate, but that has more to do with our system of dealing with them than anything else.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    When I think of wussification I think of all the stupid shit my parents let me do as a kid and all the news stories of kids being denied playing tag, or sliding down a slide. Or the dangers of dirt.
    We used to shove each other in juniper bushes all the time.

That shit hurt! And it would leave these little toxic welts all over your body for days. I mean, if that's what it takes to keep kids from being wussies, then viva las wussies.
    Pine cone fights are where it's at.

Big fucking stick you found in the woods samurai sword fights are where its at.....

Man, I used to do all of this stuff. Now you guys have reminded me that I haven't played outside in ages, mostly because it's not cool any more for me and my friends to play outdoor games that aren't also sports. Also cause I don't know any other 19-yr-olds who are really up for pine cone fights or stick fighting. :(
    One problem for me and activities like that is that I have an uncanny ability to hit people right between the eyes.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm pretty sure such a list would go against the basics of human rights over here.

Appart from that, wasn't there a pretty convincing case why those databanks are trouble just some days ago? California IIRC?

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Man, fireworks. The shit we used to do with fireworks.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Rehabilitation has consistently failed for sexual predators, yet there are still people pushing for it. I guess it's ok to want someone like that to be free as long as it's not your neighborhood right?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2007

You're assuming you know the motivation. There's more than one, you know, much as feminists wrongly claimed the opposite twenty years ago.

If you don't think putting up fliers of someone being a sex offender around campus is going to utterly destroy someones social status and completely humiliate them then you are daft as all fucking hell.

If you think that they're only going to do it again because someone triggers it by humiliating them or that it will be easier to pull off the crime after being publicly tagged, well, something or other, I don't really even care. There's no information on the offender, I'd personally demand more than a registry listing before I went telling people about it but if I find out a guy is a date-rapist I think it would be okay to point that out to girls who let him buy them drinks.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So, uh...speaking of didn't accomplish anything...

My psychology final was a joke. 20 short answer questions. That's all there was.

And you know what scares me?

The majority of the students in the class are still working on it.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

Way to get in the last word and then leave..... You're like the ending of the Sopranos

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Haphazard wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure such a list would go against the basics of human rights over here.

Appart from that, wasn't there a pretty convincing case why those databanks are trouble just some days ago? California IIRC?

I'm sure Feral knows about it. I know that's one of his biggest problems right now.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Some extreme, isolated cases are not necessarily indicative of the entire community of offenders. It's true that sex offenders are least likely to rehabilitate, but that has more to do with our system of dealing with them than anything else.

Or that they are simply not able to be in society. A sexual crime is one where the victim is scarred for life, they don't get to rehabilitate they always have the knowledge of their attack with them. My mother was the victim of a rape, she used to work a counseling line. I have zero sympathy for sexual offenders, in my mind they are the rabid dogs of our society.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Hey Fluffy, you're a psychotic liar who's just spouting bullshit because you're mad that the GOP lost congress.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Or what will allow him to reoffend is him blending into society earning trust from those around him and then repeating his offense. A kid of that age commiting a sexual crime to warrant a class 2 or 3 ranking is someone I'd not want any of my future children around ever.

You are looking at it from the wrong perspective. He is 16 years old. a kid. kids are fucking idiots. you beat kids around, let them think hard on their mistake, and then you let them go. If he was forty, I would be far more worried about his mental condition.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I didn't even know a minor could be a sex offender.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Tarranon wrote: »

You are looking at it from the wrong perspective. He is 16 years old. a kid. kids are fucking idiots. you beat kids around, let them think hard on their mistake, and then you let them go. If he was forty, I would be far more worried about his mental condition.

His being 16 also lends itself to the questioning of his motives. Was it because he was a victim himself and was under the strain of perceived power-differentials or was it because he felt he was entitled?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Way to get in the last word and then leave..... You're like the ending of the Sopranos

ZING!

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Gooey wrote: »

Why couldn't they be?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Happening younger and younger gooey, it's scary. I don't know if its because we are actually catching them now, or something else. Recent cases of video taped sexual assaults and gang rapes by teenagers is a scary thing to me.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

That's what I was saying earlier. If he did something bad enough to actually be charged underage with a sex crime, and it not be on a sealed juvenille record, then what the hell is he doing back in a high school?

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited December 2007

That's what I was saying earlier. If he did something bad enough to actually be charged underage with a sex crime, and it not be on a sealed juvenille record, then what the hell is he doing back in a high school?

The high-school administration's jumping to defend him before the kid could walk away after putting up the posters combined with this suggest locally-important mommies and daddies.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

I am guessing they didn't know. As I said Washington state has a problem with losing sex offenders. Our tracking methods are off and recent cases have proven that is to the detriment of communities these guys are in.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    "New Yorker Alison Wilson was walking down Prince Street in SoHo last week when she heard a woman’s voice right in her ear asking, 'Who’s there? Who’s there?' She looked around to find no one in her immediate surroundings. Then the voice said, 'It’s not your imagination.'"

That’s right — some bunch of fuckheads have invented street ads that beam their vocal pitch right into your goddamn head:

"The billboard uses technology manufactured by Holosonic that transmits an 'audio spotlight' from a rooftop speaker so that the sound is contained within your cranium."

D:

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Man, I'm really looking forward to Be Kind, Rewind.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    "New Yorker Alison Wilson was walking down Prince Street in SoHo last week when she heard a woman’s voice right in her ear asking, 'Who’s there? Who’s there?' She looked around to find no one in her immediate surroundings. Then the voice said, 'It’s not your imagination.'"

That’s right — some bunch of fuckheads have invented street ads that beam their vocal pitch right into your goddamn head:

"The billboard uses technology manufactured by Holosonic that transmits an 'audio spotlight' from a rooftop speaker so that the sound is contained within your cranium."

D:

That's all kinds of fucked up.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2007

D:

Turns out my class is later then I thought.

And they better make that shit illegal fucking fast.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited December 2007

D:

You know, I've worked with this kindo f thing a little bit - with banks of antennae (for light/ EM waves) or speakers (for sound) you can shape beams to go where you want them to by using constructive and destructive interference. It's how radar arrays work. There have been a few set-top speaker arrays produced lately that shoot your multichannel sound in beams off at the points on your wall or ceiling that would correspond to surround speakers.

I have to admit that I hadn't thought of bouncing it off someone's noggin though.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hah, that's fodder for good old Warren!

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Man, I'm really looking forward to Be Kind, Rewind.

Is that the sequel to Pay It Forward?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007

D:

That's all kinds of fucked up.

Holy shit.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Though, now I kind of want a portable hand held one just to fuck with people.

Inquisitor on
This discussion has been closed.