As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best or Worst Christmas as a Child Gamer?

• Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think the best Christmas was when we first got the N64. Only after we opened it did we realize it didn't come with a game, so me, my Dad and my brother went out to buy Super Mario 64 immediately, and we we're in gaming heaven. My worst Christmas was when I got the Sega Saturn as a gift, which of course I was asking for. Turns out the Saturn couldn't read the game discs properly, and couldn't be played. I was upest to say the least, but thankfully my dad got it replaced pretty quickly.

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I just remembered one of the most awesome Christmases ever. Well, technically Christmas Eve since I usually do Christmas Eve with my Dad's family, and Christmas with my Mom's... But anyways.

Christmas Eve 1998. Starsiege: Tribes. After opening all our presents and having dinner, I proceeded to play the ever loving fuck out of it that night, and for many years after, but that first night of Tribes was just fucking awesome.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Tahldon wrote: »
    Good greif and a half!

I just got off of the phone with my mom and she was thinking about buying my little brother a Playstation 2. Being as though I have all three Next Gen systems, I kind of felt bad for him. I told her that I'd find him a Wii cause all of the other systems have games that might be too complicated for him. I'm not home so I have to shop online. NO store had them. The Wii is almost non existant online.. all except for the Bundles.

I ended up finding a bundle for him.. for like $599.99. That's more than I paid for my PS3! So, hopefully the brat will be happy. The only gaming systems he's owned has been a Gamecube. Everything else is mine and I don't live at home anymore. He deserves something, I suppose.

Christmas is such an expensive part of the year... I just bought a PS3 and a Wii Bundle all in the same month. :? Oh well..

Naaaaaw.<3

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    GrygonosGrygonos Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Christmas 1986 - NES + SMB + Excitebike + Slalom + Hogan's Alley (kicked the piss out of Duck Hunt imho)
    Christmas 1992 - SNES + SMW + HAD-O-KEN!

Grygonos on
  • Options
    SNESSNES Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Just before Christmas, a homeless man gave me his SNES.

<3 homeless guy.

SNES on
    MP:H-2019-3115-7752
    MKDS Friend Code: 476-802-986-689
    AC:WW Friend Code:3823-1420-6253
    Pokemon Friend Code: 3222 2050 0417
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I cried.. CRIED as a kid when all I wanted was a game for my Genesis and I got a GIANT bible instead. You should have seen the look on my face as I opened the massive package to find a 10lb bible. Now I feel terrible for crying, but for Christ (pun) sake that's a terrible thing to do to a kid, what were they thinking?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Spanky The DolphinSpanky The Dolphin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Oh man, that just says right there, "we don't care about your feelings."

Spanky The Dolphin on
  • Options
    KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The Christmas I got the NES Bundle with Mario, The Light Gun, and Hogan's Alley.

The following Christmas I got Kid Icarus, Metroid, A new Atari (I had a ton of games) and Galaga I believe.

KimFidler on
  • Options
    dantreedantree Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    OK, so this will definately date me as a gamer...

Not sure of the year, but definately the 80's, my brothers and I had scoured the house looking for were the presents were hiding out, we did this every year, yes it sort of ruined christmas, but it made us good liars on Christmas day.

I think my parents may have caught wind of this and one year they kept the big present at a neighbors house.

Christmas morning we opened the presents, many of which we already knew. when we were done my dad got us to go downstairs, we all did and there hooked up to the tv was an Atari 2600.

It was love at first sight, we all took turns for the rest of the day playing astroids and defender.

Years later we got an Atari 7800, and later still a nintendo, then a Super Nintendo, but for some reason the Atari 2600 was the best, I suppose its because it was the system was the one I lost my gamer virginity to.

dantree on
    psn: dantree
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I wanted a game for my birthday, can't recall which.

I got a tissue box and a sleeping bag liner.

Thanks mum

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I got a Jaguar CD for xmas when it came out. I really don't even remember wanting it but I had lots of fun with Myst and Blue Lightning, lots of good memories. People think of the Jag as a joke now but it wasn't at all clear to me then what direction games were headed in, and I was bored with the SNES by that point.

Saddler on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Saddler wrote: »
    I got a Jaguar CD for xmas when it came out. I really don't even remember wanting it but I had lots of fun with Myst and Blue Lightning, lots of good memories. People think of the Jag as a joke now but it wasn't at all clear to me then what direction games were headed in, and I was bored with the SNES by that point.

There was some good fun to be had on the jaguar. Tempest 2000, Rayman, good ports of NBA Jam TE and Primal Rage... it wasn't like jag players had no fun. Until it got ported, Rayman was worth the price of admission alone.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Back when Pokemon Gold and Silver came out, I was still on a Brick Gameboy. My grandparents sent me Gold and a Gameboy Color.

I was ecstatic. Then out came the GBA a couple of years later, and they sent me that one too--only in the middle of summer. I was ecstatic.

Senshi on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I remember unwrapping a copy of Myst, realizing that it came on a CD, and assuming that since our computer at that time couldn't read CDs one of my other presents must be a CD drive.

I guessed incorrectly.
    :shock::D8-)

jothki on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Zeta wrote: »
    The best christmas ever was when I was a wee lad of 6. I was a nintendo freak, and the snes had recently just came out. That was ALL I wanted and ALL I talked about for MONTHS. Anywho the big day came and I tore downstairs like...well... a kid on christmas to open my gifts. I open gift after gift of snes games. Eventually I open my last present and realize that all I have are snes games but no snes. I sat there and wondered if maybe Santa had made an error somewhere. Just then, my dad taps me on the shoulder. I turn around and hes looking at me with his hands behind his back and says "It's Dangerous To Go Alone. Take This!" and reveals a brand new SNES in his hands. He hands it to me and does the "new item" sound from zelda. I was so happy I couldn't believe it.

Your dad is the best man in the world. Kudos. :D

Henroid on
  • Options
    VulpineVulpine Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Christmas '91, or thereabouts - it's certainly the earliest I can remember (I was born in 1986). It was the first year we'd been living in our new house, having had to live with my Nana while all our belongings were moved from London, so it was a fairly special Christmas anyway.

We all open our presents from our stockings, with the usual cheer and merriment, then go downstairs to open the larger gifts from each other under the tree. And when all this is complete, my Dad brings out one more:

A Sega Master System. With Sonic. Oh yes. Oh, yes.

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Vulpine wrote: »
    Christmas '91, or thereabouts - it's certainly the earliest I can remember (I was born in 1986). It was the first year we'd been living in our new house, having had to live with my Nana while all our belongings were moved from London, so it was a fairly special Christmas anyway.

We all open our presents from our stockings, with the usual cheer and merriment, then go downstairs to open the larger gifts from each other under the tree. And when all this is complete, my Dad brings out one more:

Model 2 revision 2, with sonic built in? Or Sonic as a stand alone cart?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I can't remember how old I was but I remember waking up really early one christmas morning to find Sonic 3D!! I LOVED it at the time (although never completed it, ever) Also getting an N64 a good few years later, with Mario 64. That had to be the moment for thousands of people that revolutionized gaming! Mario 64, was the nuts for SO long.

Also did anyone else LOVE Lion King for Mega Drive (Genesis rofl)?

Snare on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Sonic was built into the Master System? O.o

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Model 2 with Alex Kidd built-in, Sonic as a cartridge also in the box, and two controllers.

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Model 2 with Alex Kidd built-in, Sonic as a cartridge also in the box, and two controllers.

That'd be a Model 2 revision 1.

I love the SMS. Easily my favorite console of all time. It's what got me into gaming. I assume you later picked up Wonderboy III?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Oh yes, absolutely - I spent so much time on that it's unreal, although Hades Armour made the end a little too easy. I loved my Master System, and definitely need to buy another - I only got rid of it when the RF connector broke. It's my favourite console, too, just pipping the Dreamcast to the post.

Speaking of Wonder Boy III, is the Turbografx port on the Virtual Console exactly the same as the Master System version, or are there any major differences to be aware of? Was thinking of buying that.

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NastymanNastyman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I don't really remember any of my childhood Christmases except one.

A Nintendo 64 was all I wanted and looked forward to as I was a rabid Nintendo fanboy. I didn't ask for a Playstation the year before because I didn't care for that new fangled crap. Discs were dumb and cartridges were old school! I was so sure I was going to get my N64 and I kept talking about how awesome it was going to be when I would play it for the first time on Christmas day. I guess my parents got a little annoyed...

So on Christmas morning my sister and I come out of our rooms, wake our parents up so we can open presents, and sit down under the tree. I'm a little worried since all the presents I'm opening are underwear, socks, clothes, and other junk. Kids don't give a shit about clothes...

So as I'm opening these shit presents (well, I did get a gameboy game or two.) My sister opens a fucking Playstation. This blew my mind. I didn't even think she liked games and couldn't believe my parents spent that much money on something that she might not even like. So I'm guessing this was one of those "shared presents" between siblings and my parents had gotten the PS over the N64. Needless to say, the Nintendo fanboy in me was sad.

So I'm sitting there lying talking about how cool the Playstation is and how much I liked it and my mom walks over to the fucking closet and pulls out a big box and two smaller boxes. I thought these were presents for my parents that they exchange after us kids are done opening our own. But my mom walks right over to me and sets them down in front of me. I was in disbelief. My parents were never the types to spoil us, but sure enough, they bought both a N64 and a PS that year.

Super Mario 64 and Cruisin' USA were played for hours on end before I even bothered hooking up the Playstation for my sister who got something generic on it like baseball or someshit. I never really did get into the Playstation. Final Fantasies were played and a few other games but I never got into it as much as the N64. Hell, to this day I still don't really like em all that much. I got a PS2 and then sold it to my dad a year later with the only 2 games I ever got for it, FFX and Ace Combat 4. A few of my friends have PS3s but they don't wow me all that much.

And even now that I'm nearing 20 years of age I still want a Wii for Christmas this year...

Nastyman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Oh yes, absolutely - I spent so much time on that it's unreal, although Hades Armour made the end a little too easy. I loved my Master System, and definitely need to buy another - I only got rid of it when the RF connector broke. It's my favourite console, too, just pipping the Dreamcast to the post.

Speaking of Wonder Boy III, is the Turbografx port on the Virtual Console exactly the same as the Master System version, or are there any major differences to be aware of? Was thinking of downloading that.

Well, like all ports of wonderboy games, there are small differences. For one, Wonderboy is a girl in this game, and instead of Lion-man, we get Tiger-man. Otherwise it's a generally improved port - different graphics (I refuse to call them better, but some might like them more). The big difference is the ability to save your game - it was one of the few Turbo Grafx 16 games to support the memory included with the Turbo Booster Plus and the Turbo CD, so if either was present you could save your game rather than relying on those damned passwords.

Other than that, I can't think of any differences. The music is even the same, although it sounds slightly different due to the different hardware on the turbo grafx.

Man, I'm gonna download that game right now. I already have the real hu-card but my turbo grafx is at home.

EDIT: To clarify, I mean download it for the wii.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    ViolyntViolynt regular
    edited December 2007
    Define child gamer.

I'm 18 and my parent's just bought me a brand new computer and gave it to me early.

Core2Duo 6550,8800gt(512ram),2 gigs of DDR 800,160 gig HD, Asus Pk5-e and a 600 watt Corsair power supply. My dad and I put it together.

I don't remember much from the early years though.... my dad was into PC gaming back in the early 90's (and still is) and I remember playing Doom over lan against him quite a bit. He also had an ISDN line to rock on Quake 1/2. So with him having the same hobby as me (more like I got it from him) we bought games as soon as they came out and systems which didn't leave much for Christmas.

Let me try and think... Ah yes I remember getting a Dreamcast with about 15-20 games ( I asked for the DC and a game or 2 but this is when the system was dying so everything was cheap), which kept me busy for a few months.

Although it's hard to beat this one.

Violynt on
    f4ded.png
    violynt.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Speaking of Wonder Boy III, is the Turbografx port on the Virtual Console exactly the same as the Master System version, or are there any major differences to be aware of? Was thinking of downloading that.

Well, like all ports of wonderboy games, there are small differences. For one, Wonderboy is a girl in this game, and instead of Lion-man, we get Tiger-man. Otherwise it's a generally improved port - different graphics (I refuse to call them better, but some might like them more). The big difference is the ability to save your game - it was one of the few Turbo Grafx 16 games to support the memory included with the Turbo Booster Plus and the Turbo CD, so if either was present you could save your game rather than relying on those damned passwords.

Other than that, I can't think of any differences. The music is even the same, although it sounds slightly different due to the different hardware on the turbo grafx.

Man, I'm gonna download that game right now. I already have the real hu-card but my turbo grafx is at home.

Jolly good - think that warrants a purchase myself then when I get back home. It's a shame the TG-16 never saw a large-scale official release here in Europe, but I was too happy with my Master System to mind much about other consoles. (I didn't even get a Mega Drive until 1998!)

Now you've got me on eBay again trying to find a cheap boxed MS... :D

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Violynt wrote: »
    Define child gamer.

I'm 18 and my parent's just bought me a brand new computer and gave it to me early.

Core2Duo 6550,8800gt(512ram),2 gigs of DDR 800,160 gig HD, Asus Pk5-e and a 600 watt Corsair power supply. My dad and I put it together.

I don't remember much from the early years though.... my dad was into PC gaming back in the early 90's (and still is) and I remember playing Doom over lan against him quite a bit. He also had an ISDN line to rock on Quake 1/2. So with him having the same hobby as me (more like I got it from him) we bought games as soon as they came out and systems which didn't leave much for Christmas.

Let me try and think... Ah yes I remember getting a Dreamcast with about 15-20 games ( I asked for the DC and a game or 2 but this is when the system was dying so everything was cheap), which kept me busy for a few months.

Although it's hard to beat this one.

Man, i got a Dreamcast on launch day. It was the most BAD-FUCKING-ASS experience ever. My birthday is September 7th, so when I heard sega was releasing their (ultimately final) console on the 9th of september, I knew the stars were aligning for me. Nearly a full year before it's launch, I asked my parents if I could get one for my birthday. They told me it was too much, but if I could save up enough for half of it, they'd pay the other half as a birthday gift. This was... 7th grade at the time? I had around 10 months to scrape up $100, which wasn't easy for a 7th grader. I fucking raked leaves and mowed lawns for weeks until I scrapped together that $100 and walked happily to the EBGames to preorder my dreamcast. It was the first and only system I've ever preordered. I went ahead and put down $5 Sonic Adventure and $5 for another game (I didn't know what I'd want but the guy said as the launch came closer I could come in and decide what game my $5 would reserve). I ended up reserving Soul Caliber.

September 8th, 1999 felt like a 48 hour day. I remember that the 9th was a thursday. My parents let me skip school on the 9th. Back in those days midnight launches weren't the rave, so I had to wait till 10:00 am on the 9th to pick up my dreamcast. I was there waiting as EBGames opened. On 9/9/99, I came home a happy camper with Sonic Adventure, Soul Caliber, and a brand fucking new dreamcast (it's born-on date still reads 8/99). I didn't pick up a VMU, so that meant I had to play all my games in one go. By the end of the day, after a good 10 hours of marathon gaming, I was playing as Super Sonic fighting perfect chaos. I actually played through Sonic Adventure as all characters in 1 sitting when I first got my dreamcast, and holy fucking shit was it amazing. Probably one of the greatest gaming experiences of my life. I didn't even pop in soul caliber until the 10th of september. September 9th, 1999 was an entire day devoted to the Dreamcast and Sonic Adventure.

Man I miss that system.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Jolly good - think that warrants a purchase myself then when I get back home. It's a shame the TG-16 never saw a large-scale official release here in Europe, but I was too happy with my Master System to mind much about other consoles. (I didn't even get a Mega Drive until 1998!)

Now you've got me on eBay again trying to find a cheap boxed MS... :D

The Turbo Grafx is probably the best system for Wonderboy Lovers. It saw ALMOST the entire series get released. Wonderboy was of course ported to the NES as Adventure Island, and the TG16 gets an upgraded port of the original as New Adventure Island. Wonderboy II: Monster World was ported as Burikki Man. Wonderboy III: The Monster's Lair was ported to the Turbo CD as one of the launch games, under the title "The Monster's Lair." Wonderboy III: Monster World II: The Dragon's Trap was ported to the Turbo Grafx as "The Dragon' Curse." Wonderboy IV: Monster World III was ported as "The Dynastic Hero." The only game it didn't see was Monster World IV, which technically isn't a wonderboy game.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    NastymanNastyman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    TSR I swear we must be the same person. Love for Wonderboy, Dreamcast on launch day with a 1 sitting Sonic Adventure run, I'm sure there's more...

Nastyman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Nastyman wrote: »
    TSR I swear we must be the same person. Love for Wonderboy, Dreamcast on launch day with a 1 sitting Sonic Adventure run, I'm sure there's more...

I am Johnny Everygamer.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ive... Never played any game from start to finish in one sitting outside of older games that didn't have a save feature anyways.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The Turbo Grafx is probably the best system for Wonderboy Lovers. It saw ALMOST the entire series get released. Wonderboy was of course ported to the NES as Adventure Island, and the TG16 gets an upgraded port of the original as New Adventure Island. Wonderboy II: Monster World was ported as Burikki Man. Wonderboy III: The Monster's Lair was ported to the Turbo CD as one of the launch games, under the title "The Monster's Lair." Wonderboy III: Monster World II: The Dragon's Trap was ported to the Turbo Grafx as "The Dragon' Curse." Wonderboy IV: Monster World III was ported as "The Dynastic Hero." The only game it didn't see was Monster World IV, which technically isn't a wonderboy game.

If all of these see release on the virtual console, I will be a happy man. Which one was "Wonder Boy In Monster World"? That was the other Wonder Boy I had on the Master System, and seem to recall it being Wonder Boy V, though the series' numbering has always been a total mystery to me.

You do have impeccable taste in games, it must be said.

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I remember that one Christmas the only game I got was Timesplitters 2, because that was the only game I asked for, because there were no other damn games out for the Gamecube at the time. I blame Nintendo for that crappy Christmas

Franko on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2007
    I remember getting Gameday 98 for the PS1. (football game)

My brother and I played for 4 hours on Christmas day. This was our first sports title. We didn't know you had to place the icon of your controller under your team.

Yes, we watched the computer play itself for 4 hours thinking that we were playing. We were convinced that the computer just did most of the stuff for us and that the few times the computer seemed to react to our button presses, well... we thought those were the only actual gameplay elements.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

If all of these see release on the virtual console, I will be a happy man. Which one was "Wonder Boy In Monster World"? That was the other Wonder Boy I had on the Master System, and seem to recall it being Wonder Boy V, though the series' numbering has always been a total mystery to me.

You do have impeccable taste in games, it must be said.

That would be "Wonderboy IV: Monsterworld III"

It's easy to keep the games straight. Wonderboy is a series of 4 games, and Monsterworld is a series of 4 games. The second wonderboy is the first monster world. There are two wonderboy III's - one is a sequel to the first monsterworld (wonderboy III: Monster World II AKA The Dragon's Trap) and the other is a wonderboy game with no ties to monster world (Wonderboy III: The Monster's Lair, although it does mention stuff relating to Monster World). The sequel to Monster World II, and Wonderboy III, is called "Wonderboy IV: Monster World III" in japan, but domestically it was called "Wonderboy in Monster World." This is extra confusing because the second wonderboy was called "Wonderboy II: Monster World" in japan (aka the second wonderboy, first monster world) but Wonderboy in Monster LAND in the US and UK.

The final game in the series is Monsterworld IV, which is not a wonderboy game. You don't play as the legendary hero, and in fact you're a girl in the game. It's a sequel to Monster World III, not a sequel to Wonderboy IV, if that makes sense. There is no Wonderboy V.

Get the genesis or turbo duo versions of the game you're talking about. Both are on the VC. The genesis version is called "Wonderboy in Monster World" and is the best version of the game. The Turbo Duo version is called "The Dynastic Hero." The Dynastic hero has CD quality music, but I think the music in the genesis version is leaps and bounds better (the underwater/ice world music is so haunting). It also changes the sprites which is a shame because the genesis version features some nicely drawn, SD-style bosses. The ice boss is my favorite.

The Dynastic Hero also lacks parallax scrolling, which the genesis version used well. Both versions are much, much, MUCH improved over the SMS port, which is truthfully awful. Half of the game is missing in the SMS port, and the other versions play so much better that it's criminal. Honestly, you should pick up these instead of The Dragon's Curse because I consider them to be the pinnacle of the series and an improvement over even Wonderboy III. If you've played the entire series there is so much fan service and little nods that it'll put a smile on your face all day. For example:
    the 2nd to last boss is the boss from the original wonderboy - the King of Monsters. And the mysterious room which changes you into a pygmy is the transformation room from Wonderboy III.

Great game.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Organichu wrote: »
    I remember getting Gameday 98 for the PS1. (football game)

My brother and I played for 4 hours on Christmas day. This was our first sports title. We didn't know you had to place the icon of your controller under your team.

Yes, we watched the computer play itself for 4 hours thinking that we were playing. We were convinced that the computer just did most of the stuff for us and that the few times the computer seemed to react to our button presses, well... we thought those were the only actual gameplay elements.

Sounds like Pro Evo plays today! Great story :)

Snare on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I totally got a Model 2 revision 2 Master System when I was like age 5. I screamed with joy.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Whoa. I didn't even know there was a Mega Drive version, let alone it was on the VC already. I absolutely adored the SMS version, so to find that there's more of it makes me look at my stock of points cards and envision them immediately plummeting.

I always preferred The Dragon's Trap to ...Monster World, though. I remember once I knocked the cartridge slightly as I booted the game, and got very odd results: it started up with a Sega Mark III logo, and when I actually got into the game, I was Hu-Man, but in the hub village, and with some pretty good equipment. Fun times.

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Whoa. I didn't even know there was a Mega Drive version, let alone it was on the VC already. I absolutely adored the SMS version, so to find that there's more of it makes me look at my stock of points cards and envision them immediately plummeting.

I always preferred The Dragon's Trap to ...Monster World, though. I remember once I knocked the cartridge slightly as I booted the game, and got very odd results: it started up with a Sega Mark III logo, and when I actually got into the game, I was Hu-Man, but in the hub village, and with some pretty good equipment. Fun times.

Protip: Enter "we5t 0ne 0000 000" as the password when playing in wonderboy III.

Also, just trust me on the genesis version of Wonderboy in Monster World. I equate the SMS port to Zelda I on the NES to and the Genesis version to Zelda III on the SNES. It's that much of a difference. The genesis version of Wonderboy in Monsterworld is actually my all time favorite game, bar none. Even Sonic CD. I am so in love with that game it's crazy.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    High praise indeed! Consider it purchased as soon as I get back home and can commandeer the Wii from my brother. (Or I might just give in and hunt down the cart on eBay).

We5t 0ne... Westone were the developers, weren't they?

Edit: What's the soundtrack like for Wonder Boy in Monster World? Is it the same as the SMS version's music, only better? WB III has a phenomenal soundtrack, but Monster World never really stood out for me.

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]