As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vista SP1 RC: Don't install it. [Rage's free technical advice thread, too]

RageRage Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Social Entropy++
Edit: Got a random OS\software\hardware question and lost your G&T fedora? Ask it, and I'll answer it to the very best of my extensive abilities and knowledge.

- OS tweaking\usage\interoperability
- Software\drivers\compatability
- Hardware: gaming rigs, custom builds, etc...

Fire at will.

----
This probably belongs in G&T but that place is greasy. This may only be of interest to current Vista users anyway, all 8 of us.

Microsoft officially released the first Release Candidate for public consumption today, and along with it, a laundry list of fixes that addresses everything except the noted compatibility issues with certain hardware, software and drivers.

The list currently covers roughly 300 hotfixes and performance improvements, and according to the press release today, is not an exhaustive list, meaning there are more fixes in the works expected to be slipstreamed into the final service pack release due near the end of Q1.

- MS TechNet: RC Vista SP1 release notes:
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/49281e52-71d0-43e0-a885-4c229587c88d1033.mspx?mfr=true

WinUpdate Vista pre-requisite updates:

KB935509 This updates is only required on Windows Vista Enterprise and Windows Vista Ultimate editions (which have Bitlocker capabilities). This update is required prior to installing KB938371, the second prerequisite update and is required to prevent potential loss of data on Bitlocker encrypted systems during updating.
KB938371 This update consists of fixes for several components (including the TrustedInstaller), increases the success rate for installing the service pack and enables the service pack to be uninstalled successfully.
KB937287 This is an update to the “Servicing Stack” or the Windows Vista component installer technologies built into Windows Vista. This update enables the built-in installer to properly and successfully install the service pack.

[WARNING]: If you're brave enough to give this RC a shot, fair warning that release candidates are 'as-is': no warranty, no exchanges, no returns and no bitching if it hoses your system.

I highly, HIGHLY recommend you have a backup solution readily available to restore your Vista system to its previous state, be it virtualization, imaging (ghost) or whathaveyou. Beta OS fixes are not for the faint of heart. This cannot be emphasized enough.

Also note: this release is time-bombed. RC1 will not validate after June 30, 2008. The SP will need to be uninstalled completely before the gold SP1 release is applied.

With that taken into consideration, you may download and install the Service Pack via the following:

- http://www.windowsupdate.com
- http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9DE6260E-4275-482D-9524-DE850C4DD91C&displaylang=en

Good luck, and godspeed.

Rage on

• Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah my new laptop came with Vista which I'm not to happy about. Why couldn't they just keep XP, at least that borders on functional.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My laptop blue-screened minutes after downloading this. Not even a regular blue-screen, but some sort of white-font-size-2-text-completely-covering-the-screen-with-some-blue-barely-visible-between-words blue-screen.

I am not a fan of Vista in any way, shape, form, or interpretation of the term. I'm unhappy.

EDIT: I wish I got a screencap, shit was nuts.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The Vista "experience" varies pretty widely. I've been running Vista Enterprise on a Dell D620 Centrino Duo for over a year now and I've never had a single problem, and I just got around to bumping it up to 2GB of memory last month.

Rage on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah my new laptop came with Vista which I'm not to happy about. Why couldn't they just keep XP, at least that borders on functional.

this is precisely what i came in here to say
    i freaking hate it
    i want xp but i'm too lazy to switch it

mully on
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm running Vista on a Commodore 64 and needless to say it doesn't work too well. Fucker keeps trying to steal my refrigerator. Not mention its continual attempts to break into the Pentagon and upload some program net.skye or something like that. What a fucker.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    I tried running vista, but my laptop started resonating with other laptops. I'm thinking I'll get a bunch of laptops together and create a little virtual reality world with all the quantum computing power I've got going on.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2007
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    I tried running vista, but my laptop started resonating with other laptops. I'm thinking I'll get a bunch of laptops together and create a little virtual reality world with all the quantum computing power I've got going on.

now you're thinking with portals

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Kazhiim wrote: »

You fool that's how Peter Molyneux came into existance. AND THEY'RE STILL SEARCHING FOR THE PATCH THAT WILL SHUT HIS GOB.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Need more qubits to run my quindows quoftware.
    D:

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    MeatPopSICKleMeatPopSICKle Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I know some of the people who made Vista, I will not be updating anytime soon.

MeatPopSICKle on
    SignatureSeries6.jpg
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Shit, obligatory:
    Micro$oft Satan 666
    Rich and paid 4 by terrists n shit
    straight up dawg 4 real they be all out the moneys n still be suckn

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    I run Vista and from my experience, a lot of the complaints I hear about it seem blown out of proportion.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    SephSeph Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    XP+WINDOWBLINDS=HAHA BITCHES

Seph on
    doit.png
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Windows Vista: The new M.E.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    mully wrote: »

this is precisely what i came in here to say
    i freaking hate it
    i want xp but i'm too lazy to switch it

You probably don't want to anyway. I got a new laptop this past fall and there are no XP drivers available for it meaning a roll back to XP would actually worsen performance.
    Druhim wrote: »
    I run Vista and from my experience, a lot of the complaints I hear about it seem blown out of proportion.

How do you blow lack of driver availability out of proportion.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I really enjoy vista. I probably wouldn't have shelled out money for it, but the free copy I got is ace.

Edit: So far I haven't had any driver issues.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    yeah, drivers haven't been a problem for me yet

and let's face it, over time it will become less of an issue as more and more companies will make the latest drivers fully Vista compatable

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I use Vista

I don't see what the problem with it is

probably because I do nothing but use word and maybe play texas hold 'em

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    TxdoHawkTxdoHawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, I am going to hold off on this for the time being.

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I test this shit.

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wait. Yesterday something downloaded and updated and I don't know what. They better not have snuck this shit up on me. I'll be hellsa miffed.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    Wait. Yesterday something downloaded and updated and I don't know what. They better not have snuck this shit up on me. I'll be hellsa miffed.

It wasn't this. They don't do that with beta patches.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    I already hate XP, soooo...

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    PotU wrote: »
    I already hate XP, soooo...

Then you would be interested in SP3 which supposedly makes it faster.

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Druhim wrote: »
    yeah, drivers haven't been a problem for me yet

and let's face it, over time it will become less of an issue as more and more companies will make the latest drivers fully Vista compatable

I like Vista, and everyone I know running it has had similar, fairly positive experiences with it, even though Apple tells us we're horrible for doing so.

People seem to forget that things were not very smooth with the Windows XP launch either, although not nearly as severe as Vista due primarily to XP being built upon an already-proven x86 platform in Windows 2000, but there were problems, especially in driver compatibility.

XP became the high-water mark only after a lot of time, fixes and TWO service packs.

SP1 was a big turning point for XP then, so maybe history will repeat itself for Vista...who knows.

Rage on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Whenever I get depressed about Windows XP or Vista not working properly, I dig deep into my closet and find the Pentium 133 w/64MB of RAM I keep there, boot up Windows 95, and attempt to install a network card.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    When I hear shit like this it makes me glad that
    1) I force everyone in the office to run Win XP
    2) I'm starting to get used to Ubuntu.

I thought the rule of thumb with MS OSes was to stay away from them until a tried-and-true Service Pack 1. Good luck to those of you daring enough to try this. I hope nothing seriously wrong happens to your computer.

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I don't think anything's going to explode....

Malkor on
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm running Linux on my homework network, and I've never been happier with the functionality, stability, and fucking enjoyment factor of my machines. I have kept a Vista partition on my main desktop, but I don't boot into it very often.

Of course, I virtually never game, and when I do, it's retro. So I suppose it's not for everyone.
    Needless to say, I won't be using any Vista SP release candidates. If I even update to SP1, it will be long after the major kinks are ironed out.

naporeon on
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    naporeon wrote: »
    Of course, I virtually never game, and when I do, it's retro. So I suppose it's not for everyone.

Crossover Linux supports newer games like WoW, so I suspect your retro games would run just fine, too.

As soon as they make a Linux client for some proprietary software I use at work, I'm going to make a complete switch to Ubuntu.

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Oh I absolutely agree that I won't be downloading this service pack.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    is ubuntu hard to get around

I might put it on my ps3

I always wanted to dick around with linux

unless linux is something that's not for dicking around

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    HoA-playerHoA-player Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Not much harder then Vista, just a few thing different you have to get used to.

HoA-player on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I'm running Linux on my homework network, and I've never been happier with the functionality, stability, and fucking enjoyment factor of my machines. I have kept a Vista partition on my main desktop, but I don't boot into it very often.

Needless to say, I won't be using any Vista SP release candidates. If I even update to SP1, it will be long after the major kinks are ironed out.

Because you're a sissy. Grizzly Adams neckbeard notwithstanding. <3

I work in a primarily Unix-heavy environment, and currently, on my desk I have the following:

- Dell D620 running Vista Enterprise
    - Sun Ultra20 x64 Opteron running Ubuntu 7.04 and Solaris 10 (dual)
    - MacBook Pro running Leopard and WinXPSP2 (bootcamp)

...and I love them all equally and for different reasons.

Yay. The polarity divide between operating systems gets fuzzier and fuzzier.

Rage on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Crossover Linux supports newer games like WoW, so I suspect your retro games would run just fine, too.

As soon as they make a Linux client for some proprietary software I use at work, I'm going to make a complete switch to Ubuntu.

Linux is definitely worth trying. I've been using Wine, but I've had a hell of a time getting Steam to work. I have a relatively small partition for Ubuntu, and I really don't want to have two Steam directories on my HD.

Malkor on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I run 64-bit vista ultimate on my PC that I built myself and it works fine because I am a professional.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Maybe you're misunderstanding what I said.

Retro gaming is super easy in a Linux environment, particularly with a switch-friendly desktop distro. There are hojillions of interpreters and emulators out there. That's not a problem.

It's access (or lack thereof) to some current titles that might prove a problem for gamers more devoted than myself.

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Weaver wrote: »
    I run 64-bit vista ultimate on my PC that I built myself and it works fine because I am a professional.
    I am not a Microsoft hater. Really. At all.

I enjoyed post-SP2 XP immensely, and have no problem with Vista.

I just find Linux a more engaging and intellectually profitable experience.

naporeon on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I love the new DX10 graphics capabilities

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Still a sissy.

Edit: a /dev/null sissy

Rage on