As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Getting a promotion during cutbacks

DVGDVG No. 1 Honor StudentNether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
edited December 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'll try and make this snappy. I am currently fulfilling the role of Test/QA Lead for one of the top ten projects of a major insurance firm in the US. This is great an all, except my job title and pay is still floating slightly below median of the entry level (IE instead of getting paid 65k as a QA Lead, I do that job but get paid 44k as a QA Analyst). This is due in large to the fact that no manager has stuck around for more than 10 months, due to frequent reorganizations.

I had planned on laying all my cards out on the table with the humongous amount of responsibility I've picked up the last year to say "I'm doing the work, but I want more monies", however the company is cutting their budget in the tune of 50 Million Dollars and getting rid of a shit-ton of contractors to fulfill that need.

What are steps I should take to get what I consider to be a promotion that I absolutely deserve when the company is cutting back?

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
DVG on

• oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    That is a tough situation.

Do you really want to stay with this company? If you do, that doesn't really give you a lot of negotiating leverage. If you don't have any other prospects, or aren't going to quit, then your employer has all the negotiating power and it's unlikely they'll give you much, if anything.

On the other hand, if you have alternative prospects and you let them know you'd really like to stay here, but you don't feel you're getting paid for the work that you're actually doing. Then they're probably still not going to give you the full 65k, but will give you enough to make you happy and stay, because there are costs associated with finding a new person, and at some point its cheaper to pay you more than to find another person.

Bottom line though, you have to be willing and able to leave the company for you to make it their while to pay you (significantly) more.

oldsak on
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well I probably should have said that I'm intending to go for the position between my current one and the one I'm actually doing the work for. While the full 65k would be great, I'm going to shoot for the 50-55 Senior Analyst position.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If you're doing the job of a Lead, ask for the pay of a Lead. It's a negotiation. They may just say "okay," or they may come back and ask if you'd be willing to take less; worst-case scenario is they say "no."

Thanatos on
  • Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Just ask. If you really don't want to keep doing the work for the current pay, try to get something else lined up just in case you want to play hardball with them. Just be straightforward and tell your boss. There's a good chance he already knows you're doing too much work for your current pay anyway.

I recently went through this with my own employer. Tons of people got laid off with no intention to replace them to cut back the budget. This resulted in myself and another guy I work with doing the jobs of people who were earning double what we were. Now we weren't supposed to know what the other guys were earning, as is pretty standard, so we couldn't just say "hey, bobo was earning $texas and I'm only earning $rhode island, let's see some more cash" but it was pretty obvious to everyone that we were doing a hell of a lot more work than we used to. The raises came very shortly after that with no arguments from management. We're still earning less than we should be, but it was a significant jump with more coming at official yearly raise time from the sounds of it.

Jimmy King on