As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Offensive Lyrics Discussion

oddmentoddment Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Here in the good old United Kingdom, there is a bit of a hoo-haa going on involving Fairytale Of New York by The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl. Basically, Radio 1 have decided to edit out the word 'faggot' from the song 20 years after its initial release, with no previous attempts to do so, as it may cause offence to some listeners. Here is a link to the story and comments from Radio 1 listeners (I have submitted a comment which they have yet to put up, but if they do it will be under the name of 'Andrew').

I myself agree that this word should be edited out of the song when played on national daytime radio. It is an offensive term to gay people, and other offensive terms would never be allowed to air on radio. Yet many people see this as being 'too politically correct'. I always find this said when it comes to issues regarding homosexuallity. No-one stands for racism in this day and age (and we shouldn't stand for it!), so even older films/music/tv shows are edited accordingly or not shown at all if they are deemed to be racist. Yet if it is a homophobic term there is uproar that people are being silly and going too far. I totally agree with free speech, but there are some things that are just not appropriate. Even though I am myself gay, I would stand up for anyones right to think that homosexuality is wrong or unnatural - that is their point of view and its fine. However, derogatory terms (which Fairytale of New York uses - the word 'faggot' is an offensive term in this context, and so would the word 'gay' if it is used to put someone down - I often hear people calling stupid things gay, denoting that gay people are stupid) and inciting hatred is NOT fine.
Everyone is entitled to their own point of view, but everyone is also entitled to equal treatment, respect and the same rights.

I could go on and on about this, as I feel quite strongly about gay rights in general, as well as human rights, but I shall leave this open for discussion now. If my comment is posted on the site I linked to, I shall quote it on here, as I think I was a tad more coherant on there.

So go on then, discuss!

PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
oddment84.png
*Thanks Thanatos!
oddment on

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I don't have a problem with censoring biggoted/rascist terms on the radio.

Not at all.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Is that link I posted not working for anyone else? Stupid link.
    But basically, the comments on there (except one tiny comment) are all saying how stupid it is to edit out the word. I've visted several other sites with this news story aswell, and every comment there has been the same. It irritates me greatly!

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Also, all the people responding to the article are fucking idiots.

"Zomg, outrage!"

"It's a Christmas song for God's sake!"

"The world has gone too PC."

People are fucking stupid sometimes.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My dad claims that "faggot" in Ireland was never connected with homosexuality. The Shorter Oxford Dictionary puts the first use of the word as a term of abuse in 1541, when it was directed against women. A 1902 use is as another word for a dummy.

While the original intent of the lyrics may not have been associated with homosexuality, I see nothing wrong with changing the lyrics for an audience who now associate faggotry with homosexuality.

The Ronan Keating cover has the alternative lyric "You scumbag you maggot, you're cheap and you're haggard", which still fits the sense.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Are homosexuals more offended by the word "faggot" today then they were 20 years ago? I am a little confused.

When you say "I totally agree with free speech, but there are some things that are just not appropriate", that sort of contradicts itself, to me at least. I see free speech as complete freedom of expression, not as freedom of expression, but with predetermined limits.

While homophobia is something that the planet would be much better off without, I don't see how we can have a free speech environment when certain words or ideas are off limits.

I don't mind a word as hurtful as faggot being removed from the radio, but it's sort of strange to me why it took 20 years for someone to get the initiative to remove it.

Einhander on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The entire song is two people yelling insults at each other, so I'm not too bothered about this particular track being played on the radio in full. And I'm as PC as they come.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, I agree the meaning of the word was probably different to how it is now being interpreted. However it is now associated with gay people almost exclusively (the only other time I've heard it used is for a horrible food made of livers... my mum used to force feed us them, and by god were they foul!) and when said in a way that sounds offensive like in Fairytale of New York, it isn't really acceptable.

And yes TehSpectre, the comments on the site are ridiculous, and I'm quite annoyed they've not posted anything OTHER than comments by people who are oppossed to the edit. Even if I'm the only person who has made a comment supporting it, they still should post the comment to give an equal balance to what is being said.

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Here's a youtube of the music video, in case anyone reading hasn't heard the song.

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Æthelred wrote: »
    The entire song is two people yelling insults at each other, so I'm not too bothered about this particular track being played on the radio in full. And I'm as PC as they come.

But thats the thing, they're yelling INSULTS. Why should faggot be classed as an insult? It denotes that being gay is a bad thing. They don't yell racially abhorrent terms at each other, and I know faggot in this song probably wasn't meant as a slang for gay at the time, but it does now, and that should be taken into consideration. Every other insult slung in this song isn't prejudiced to a certain group of people so theres no problem there.

And yeh, Einhander, it does seem a bit strange it took 20 years, but is that really such a big deal? And I can see how I might be a bit contradictory with what I said about free speech, but is it not a general rule that racism of any kind will not be tolerated even in countries where freedom of speech exists? It is not stood for, so then why should prejudice towards gay people be tolerated? People can think what they like, and I don't even mind that Christians I know have told me I'm going to hell because I am gay, because that is their belief. But to call someone by a derogatory term isn't acceptable at any time, neither is inciting hatred, violence, or denying people equal rights due to them being 'different'.

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    oddment wrote: »

I know faggot in this song probably wasn't meant as a slang for gay at the time, but it does now, and that should be taken into consideration.

I don't know if I buy that ignorance of actual intent and meaning is a very good reason to be justifiably offended.

If a person with a poor vocabulary hears me call someone Niggardly, am I suddenly promoting hate speech?

Scosglen on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Scosglen wrote: »

I know faggot in this song probably wasn't meant as a slang for gay at the time, but it does now, and that should be taken into consideration.

I don't know if I buy that ignorance of actual intent and meaning is a very good reason to be justifiably offended.

If a person with a poor vocabulary hears me call someone Niggardly, am I suddenly promoting hate speech?

It will be assumed you are, and even if it's later found that you weren't, you'll be asked to step down from your position.

This has happened many times with teachers and public officials.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Oddment, your ideas on this seem very selective to me. You use the word 'offensive' without specifying who it offends, and seem to assume that offensive things are not allowed, even in fiction. Strong proponents of freedom of speech, like myself, would say that whether something is offensive is completely irrelevant to whether it should be allowed. Many less extreme than myself would say that there's nothing wrong with showing bad things in fiction/art.

I remember the words - things like 'you're an old slut on junk'. This is targeting specific groups - addicts, women etc.

The word faggot is, as far as I know, an insult directed at gay people, or more usually at straight people to insult by implying they're gay (and indirectly insult gay people again).

There are several mistakes you make :

that this insult is directed at a specific group but others aren't (don't all insults target a particular group?) -

that hate speech is not tolerated despite freedom of speech laws/principles (free speech should mean just that - not just speech you don't agree with)

that anyone is being insulted in this song (these are fictional characters insulting one another within a narrative)

Your argument is quite naive - have you heard of 'The Merchant of Venice'? That's anti-semitic. In-numerable works of art, from games through songs to movies, feature characters insulting each other in ways we wouldn't be happy to hear directed at us.

Why is this any different?

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    ddment you make a point that you feel that homophobic people should be held to the same level of accountibility that racists are. In the US, racism isn't tolerated very well on an individual level, but as part of living in a country founded on free speech the Klan can hold a rally in the middle of Times Square as long as they get the right permit. They can hold a march if they want, which will even feature police protection, which is paid for by local tax dollars.

If a group of people wanted to show similar distaste for homosexuals, they'd be allowed to. You can't give any group of people "less" freedom of speech than anyone else, or else the whole idea falls apart.

If I come across a racist, or a homophobe, or a misogynist, or a religious nut, I just have to accept that they have ideals that are different from mine. I have no more right than them to express my thoughts. No one can decide what is appropriate for everyone.

Einhander on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Having looked up the lyrics of this song, I see no particular reason it shouldn't be edited out on national radio.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Radio airwaves are considered public property in the US, so I guess that's the angle BBC1 is taking it; in other words, since virtually anyone has access to the signal, that means it's subjected to more stringent standards than a pay-per-listen service. It's like the difference between cable and broadcast TV.

thanimations on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Having looked up the lyrics of this song, I see no particular reason it shouldn't be edited out on national radio.

Because free speech appalls you?

poshniallo on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I'm not suggesting we control what people think at all... as I say, I'll defend peoples right to believe what they wish to. I have no problem with people using the term in the context of fiction either, but here we are again at equality - on a national radio station which has a responsibility not to promote any kind of biggitory, and who always blank out racially offensive terms, why should it not be acceptable to blank out a homosexually offensive term?
    Yes, people can change the station, they can change the channel, etc... but thats not always the case. Radios played in stores being one example.

As for the comment you made, Poshniallo, about other insults (I assume you mean in the song at this point) not being directed to a certain group... in this song, no. Slut isn't exclusive to women, and it is used on an individual level, whereas the word faggot, while being directed at an individual, is also offensive to a larger group of people due to another comment you made:
    The word faggot is, as far as I know, an insult directed at gay people, or more usually at straight people to insult by implying they're gay (and indirectly insult gay people again).

I'm at work, so I'm backwards and forwards on PA, but keep the discussions coming. I think its good to hear all the different opinions. What I have said is just what I believe of course, and theres no way I can enforce that on others and wouldn't want to, but I would hope my opinions have some merit. I do find the term faggot offensive, I find it offensive in Fairytale Of New York, even if it wasn't originally intended that way, especially played on national live radio. I also believe that, in Britain at any rate, casual homophobia has become too much of a norm, and it should not be the case.

Anywho, look forward to reading more posts!

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    poshniallo wrote: »

The airwaves are considered a public asset and subject to socially set standards of decency. The song is not being legally enforced in censorship to private audiences, or on media with a higher effort of consumption which one would note has been a popular guideline for public censorship (i.e. cable networks etc. where one makes an active effort to gain access).

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    RuzanRuzan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Heh, you can take christ out of the courthouses without blinking but you start an uproar about the word "Faggot" in a song. This is one screwed up world.

Ruzan on
    If you say "plz" because it is shorter than "please" then I'll say "no" because it is shorter than "yes".
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I also believe that, in Britain at any rate, casual homophobia has become too much of a norm, and it should not be the case.

Aha, but, who are you to judge what is appropriate for the rest of Britain? Can anyone really hold that responsibility? Can you really allow a suit at a radio station decide what is appropriate for an entire nation without a thought?

Of course, the BBC works considerably differently than private broadcast companies in other countries (so I may be out of my element), but it still comes down to a small group of individuals making a decision that affects the rest of the country. The individual should be responsible for deciding what ideals they'd like to be presented with.

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Ruzan wrote: »
    Heh, you can take christ out of the courthouses without blinking but you start an uproar about the word "Faggot" in a song. This is one screwed up world.

Christ in a courthouse is a Church and State issue, which is an entirely different thread of worms.

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Ruzan wrote: »

Because clearly tacit attribution of justice to a religious system claiming to dispense it is exactly equivalent to a word used derogatorily on occasion to insult individuals by implying they are homosexual, and which in popular usage barely means that in a serious capacity anymore.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Free speech isn't about defending people's right to think certain things - it's about their right to say them.

In the song, slut is directed at one person, faggot at the other. Slut absolutely is usually applied to women. The usage may be changing, but it's definitely still primarily aimed at women. Also promiscuous people. The word 'bum' is used to insult homeless people. The fact that you are not a member of these particular groups and have no problem with these negative words being used reflects poorly on you - why should you only care about insults directed at a group you are a member of? Or do you just deny that they are insults directed at people full stop?

What does 'promoting' bigotry mean? Do you really think some fictitious people insulting each other in a pop song makes bigotry more prevalent? Or do you require people to comply with the most shallow interpretation of unbigoted regardless of whether it has any effect at all?

I don't think you're really engaging with the posts here - I think you should read the posts a little more clearly.

poshniallo on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Your right, and I *did* hijack this thread, my bad.

Ruzan on
    If you say "plz" because it is shorter than "please" then I'll say "no" because it is shorter than "yes".
  • Options
    Nexus ZeroNexus Zero Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think this is absolutely disgusting. The word, in this context, is not imbued with any kind of anti-homosexuality sentiment and if you want to read that into it then you have your own problems, don't project those onto the rest of us. Do you honestly believe that this song is used to incite hatred against gay people?

At most the word should be edited from songs produced today when played pre-watershed in the same way 'fuck' would be. Anything else is further over-reactionary bullshit from the nancypants PC brigade, a group of people so spineless and petty as to make me be ashamed that I share citizenry with them.

Edit: And there's nothing at all strange that this took 20 years. It hasn't been a bloody insult for the past 19! This is some stupid American import that I have not once heard in regular discourse.

Nexus Zero on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007

The airwaves are considered a public asset and subject to socially set standards of decency. The song is not being legally enforced in censorship to private audiences, or on media with a higher effort of consumption which one would note has been a popular guideline for public censorship (i.e. cable networks etc. where one makes an active effort to gain access).

I don't understand why you think 'public assets' are more subject to censorship than others. Censorship is necessary, beneficial and good depending on the effect it has. Why would the fact that it is government-owned change the principles concerned?

poshniallo on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Nexus Zero wrote: »
    I think this is absolutely disgusting. The word, in this context, is not imbued with any kind of anti-homosexuality sentiment and if you want to read that into it then you have your own problems, don't project those onto the rest of us. Do you honestly believe that this song is used to incite hatred against gay people?

At most the word should be edited from songs produced today when played pre-watershed in the same way 'fuck' would be. Anything else is further over-reactionary bullshit from the nancypants PC brigade, a group of people so spineless and petty as to make me be ashamed that I share citizenry with them.

This connects on another point - this kind of censorship doesn't help gay people. It just makes the people doing it seem so petty and disconnected from reality, that it diminishes the battle against real bigotry.

poshniallo on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I remember an issue like this popping up very recently here in the US over the word "Niggardly".

Ruzan on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    I have no difficulty finding words offensive by themselves without any context whatsoever. Because I make the maximum number of sense.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

I don't understand why you think 'public assets' are more subject to censorship than others. Censorship is necessary, beneficial and good depending on the effect it has. Why would the fact that it is government-owned change the principles concerned?
    Why do you think in this case it is not necessarily beneficial and good? One of the wonderful benefits of many of those other terms is that they're rather opt-in in how they define a group - except "faggot". Now, I am not gay, and I know that most of those on the forums here really wouldn't be offended but in broadcasting to a public medium I'm not sure we don't have a net gain from ensuring that someone casually listening to a radio station won't feel like they are socially frowned upon.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    And yet again I come back to one rule for one... it would cause mass uproar to broadcast a racially offensive slur, as it would to go up to someone of a different racial background and verbally abuse them. It is against the law to do such a thing, so why is it any different when it comes to homosexuallity? Tell me that you don't agree with homosexuallity, I won't care, but use a gay slur against me and I will be offended.

This is opening a massive can of worms though. To summarise, I'm not saying that I can judge what is right for the whole of Britain, but when things like racism and religious intollerance are not acceptable on public media, why should homosexual intollerance be acceptable? This is what I mean by casual homophobia. People don't throw around the 'n' word or associate it with being stupid or bad (and rightly so, that is racism), yet the word faggot is allowed, and I might add that people like Chris Moyles (a Radio 1 DJ) has in the past used the word 'gay' as a word to describe something as stupid or bad, which is totally derogatory. In the public media, this should not be allowed. I completely agree with what electrictylikesme has said.

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    And yet again I come back to one rule for one... it would cause mass uproar to broadcast a racially offensive slur, as it would to go up to someone of a different racial background and verbally abuse them. It is against the law to do such a thing, so why is it any different when it comes to homosexuallity? Tell me that you don't agree with homosexuallity, I won't care, but use a gay slur against me and I will be offended.

This is opening a massive can of worms though. To summarise, I'm not saying that I can judge what is right for the whole of Britain, but when things like racism and religious intollerance are not acceptable on public media, why should homosexual intollerance be acceptable? This is what I mean by casual homophobia. People don't throw around the 'n' word or associate it with being stupid or bad (and rightly so, that is racism), yet the word faggot is allowed, and I might add that people like Chris Moyles (a Radio 1 DJ) has in the past used the word 'gay' as a word to describe something as stupid or bad, which is totally derogatory. In the public media, this should not be allowed. I completely agree with what electrictylikesme has said.

Because you have to understand, people, and I cannot emphasize this enough, it's words that are most offensive, not ideas. The use of the word "faggot" in American Idiot is very clearly meant as an attack on homosexuals and not an attack on homophobic hill-jacks.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I'd like to know how the OP feels when this song is played now. When it gets to the part that used to say 'faggot', do you feel some kind of satisfaction in knowing that the vocals dip for a half second? Do you feel warmer and safer knowing that there was once a moderately insulting word that wasn't directed at you or anyone who shares your lifestyle? Do you thank whatever god it is you pray to that a couple million people were just saved from the indignation of hearing 0.5 seconds of great Irish folk music? Do you not cringe at how absolutely shallow you're being because although the word is gone the meaning remains? Why don't you push for the song to be pulled completely? People will find out what the word is, the song's a classic and they'll fill the gap in their minds.

Congratulations, censorship has once again solved nothing.

Nexus Zero on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The. song. is. fiction.

And the acceptance or lack of acceptance of other words isn't relevant - why should this word be censored?

Also you conflate 'racism' and other kinds of bigotry with 'someone using a particular word'. This is an astonishing over-simplification.

And censorship angers me deeply. You need a much better reason than 'I don't like that word' to censor it. What effect does the use of the word have here? Not some made-up sort-of-connected thing that Chris Moyles might say. This word. In this song.

poshniallo on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Logical consistency is a terrible reason to do anything. In the recent past, the coalition-types have invaded Iraq - should they now invade every other country whose leader they think is evil?

Censoring this word because others are censored? Is it really that simple for you?

poshniallo on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    what I think about in this situation is all the instances where a guy calls another guy a "girl" as an insult.

surely this is on par with calling someone a "faggot" as an insult as well?

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Guys we need to hurry up and do a radio-edit of Huck Finn...

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Nexus - Then let them fill in the word themselves! That is up to the individual. Yet again, would you be saying this if it was a racial insult thrown at a fictional character, broadcast on national radio?

I still feel that in this case, the censorship is justified. I don't know why it has taken 20 years to happen, but I know that I have been offended by this when I have heard it before, just like when I've heard the word used elsewhere as a negative term when in the public domain.

And Nexus, you say 'moderatley insulting'? It is one of the worst words that can be directed at a gay person in my view, and so it is by no means moderate. If you want to listen to the song uncensored, you are free to do so because the song hasn't been censored for private consumption as elictricitylikesme has said. It has just been censored publically, and thus far only on Radio 1.

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    saint2e wrote: »
    what I think about in this situation is all the instances where a guy calls another guy a "girl" as an insult.

surely this is on par with calling someone a "faggot" as an insult as well?

Yes, except that not even the fundiest of fundies think that being born a girl is a choice. So arguably worse. But only with context, and context isn't important to deciding what to censor. We censor based on the idea that every word is an island, a complete thought with meaning and usage and direct-objects fully contained within itself.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I still feel that in this case, the censorship is justified. I don't know why it has taken 20 years to happen, but I know that I have been offended by this when I have heard it before, just like when I've heard the word used elsewhere as a negative term when in the public domain.

I've already explained that this hasn't been an insult for 20 years, let alone 5. It is an American import that didn't make it's way over here until recently.
    And Nexus, you say 'moderatley insulting'? It is one of the worst words that can be directed at a gay person in my view, and so it is by no means moderate. If you want to listen to the song uncensored, you are free to do so because the song hasn't been censored for private consumption as elictricitylikesme has said. It has just been censored publically, and thus far only on Radio 1.

Fair enough, 'moderately' was a bit snarky of me. But in this instance you are pathetically projecting meaning upon a word that has none. Look, even I wince when Jedi Mind Tricks say "it's unnatural, like the love between faggots." In fact, I feel slightly guilty for listening. This is not that. You have tragic personal issues if you feel better for this song's censorship. It wasn't directed at you, it wasn't directed at homosexuality.

Stop.

Being.

Spineless.

Nexus Zero on
    sig.jpg