As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A better Metal Gear Ac!d thread (NSF56K)

Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Games and Technology
My last thread on this game sucked so I'll try again becasue this game kicks serious ass and I wish to discuss it.

box-l.jpg

Screenshots
metal-gear-acid-20050405000115892.jpgmetal-gear-acid-20050405000116283.jpg

metal-gear-acid-20050405000121236.jpgmetal-gear-acid-20050405000124626.jpg

metal-gear-acid-20050405000122017.jpgmetal-gear-acid-20050405000120345.jpg

To sum it up this game is Metal Gear Solid Silent Storm Yui-Gi-Oh! Tactics. It looks and feels exactly like any other Metal Gear game (specifically solid 1 and 2) with all the sneaking around and knocking-on-walling-guard confusing you could ask for, but now it's in turn based form!

game_01_01.gifgame_01_02.gif
game_01_03.gifgame_01_04.gif
game_01_05.gifgame_01_06.gif

If you wern't taking turns and managing cards and 'cost' (the game's version of Action points that define how much you can do in a turn) you would think you are playing a regular Metal Gear game. Before each mission you must construct a deck of 30 cards (this number increases after a few missions) to take into battle with you, these cards can range from allowing snake to take out and fire a silenced socom, firing a Nakita missle, buffing a weapon by adding a scope to it, equipping a stealth unit, rondhouse kicking an enemy or even summoning the power of one of many, many Metal Gear characters, old and new to aid you. Huge pics below to show just a few of the many cards in the game that range from the first Metal Gear game, the most recent ones and even references to other animes and games and such related to the MG universe

2.jpg
8.jpg

This is a very complicated game to get to grips with but after a whiloe it comes together so well, you can completley customise how you want to tackle a misson. Build a deck based on sneaking around, completley invisible while cutting guys up with Solidus' dual blades? Sure thing! Build a deck based around sniping and toying the enemies from afar? You bet! Go completley rambo with assualt rifles, stinger missile launchers, machineguns, grenades and flamethrowers? Awesome. Things get even better when you have a second team-member to control and can work together to bring down all the bad guys and accomplish your missions.

More info about the story, game mechanics and it's place in the series can be found on it's wikipedia page here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_Acid

To anyone who hasn't played this game and owns a PSP or loves Metal gear Solid or solid, fun, turn based tactical gaming, hell, anyone who enjoys collectable card games too should really pick this fantastic, now really cheap game up, and those who have, what are your opinions on it? I'm nearing the end on my first runthrough and have picked up most of the game mechanics, but one still confuses me, what is the significance of the red and blue arrows on each equip card?

Anyway, I hope some people are as enthusastic about this game as I am and would like to hear what other people's experiences of it were.

tf2_sig.png
Hotlead Junkie on

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The first game is boring, the second is much better. This comes from a person who loves Cardpgs's.

Funnily enough, they really didn't change all that much from the first to the second, yet I can't stand playing the first one and love the second one.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I have the second one, and I like it enough to be playing through it a second time on Extreme. The second Vince fight is kicking my ass, especially the P8 guys who keep knocking me out. If I've never played the first one, would I like it after having played the second?

I prefer outdoor environments, and the constant "warehouse > factory > warehouse > hangar" stuff is getting to me.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Good timing. I'm 5 or 6 missions in, just met Teliko. I'm really enjoying it so far, and it's nice to see hints of developing complexity and room for strategy. I'm not an SRPG or Card RPG fan, but I am a Metal Gear and JRPG fan, so this isn't too far out of my range.

Dodging attacks left and right is freaking awesome.

Renzo on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I started playing it, and it's kinda complicated.
    I hope it gets better.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    You say the first is boring but the second is much better? I love how tense the first can get thanks to the tough situations and great music, for a turn based game it's pretty damn exciting. I just fought the boss in one of the final areas of the game, this fight lasted about 20 munites and was great, tense fun, lots of times I thought 'holy shit' during that battle. The final blow to him was great, Teliko threw a grenade in desperation before I had to make her run away, but then snake had just enough time to shoot the grenade at the guy's feet before the boss could get away.

Escaping the power plant in the dark was hella hard but I loved it and finally beat it after my 3rd of 4th attempt. I'm nearing the end and the story has been very intuiging and I'm genuinley wanting to know what is going to happen next.

By the way, Stormwatcher, feel free to ask any questions about the game's mechanics, I found them very confusing at first too and I'd be happy to help. I'll be buying the second game for sure. I bought Final Fantasy Tactics and Monster Hunter two and so far have only played 30 munites of each wheras I'm nearly at the 30 hour mark of MGA

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This is one of the series I will certainly look into if/when I ever get a PSP.

I like the MGS universe, (and when I am in the mood for it, the narrative) but I hate the gameplay, and especially the controls. So these intrigue me.

LewieP on
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I loved MGA. Played it about a year ago and I've recently felt the urge to fire it up again. I think I got over 20 hours out of it.

The thing I enjoyed most was setting up a long chain of evasion and counter cards which would allow me to take out damn near an entire room if they surrounded me.

I should probably start MGA 2 sometime.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    matsurimatsuri Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    MGA looked very appealing to when I used to play it about long time ago. I like its stylish look, enjoyed the game very much. I am also looking forward for MGA 2 which I am going to try it out very soon.

Cheers

matsuri on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I loved both MGA games, although each had a couple parts that pissed me off. Notably, some difficult boss fights and dependence on certain rare cards in the first one, and some timed areas in the second one.

The mechanics of the second one were fine tuned just slightly enough to pick up the pace of the game (wall hugging and turning didn't take up your turns/cost).

Second one played better, but I think the first had a better story. However, the first game did end on a huge cliffhanger, and then they put the second one essentially on its own again without really continuing the first.

I really miss this type of traditional metal gear storytelling. Ghost Babel for the GBC had it too, and I adored it. The series lost me with MGS3, and I just don't know if I care about MGS4. Bring back some more sidestorys.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Is this the game that has that huge PSP Add on of the "Solid Eye" or whatever that huge block of black plastic is?

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Is this the game that has that huge PSP Add on of the "Solid Eye" or whatever that huge block of black plastic is?

The second one, yes. And it's awesome. And it's cardboard.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    At the end of the second game, wasn't it revealed that
    Snake had been killed/captured shortly after the cliffhanger in the first game, and you were only a clone of the original snake, who had the same identity crisis in AC!D 1?

Doesn't that leave all the gigantic government conspiracies of the first game unresolved still?

If I had free time these days, I'd probably replay both of them. Some of the best stories in all of Metal Gear. Continuity has really hampered the series.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    AhhseeAhhsee Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Nah, they solve a lot of that in the story of the 2nd game. It's worth a playthrough if you wanna know how fucked up the story really is. So first game is good if you need a background, but definitely get the 2nd, since it plays better overall, and it wraps the whole story up... as well as any story in the MGS universe. It's screwy, but it tries to make sense.

Good game though, and good characters. Last fight of MGA2 though? Stupid :\ Way too easy of a fight.

Ahhsee on
    newsigji1.jpg
    Click image for my huge backlog :\\\
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    So, anyone care to help me with building a deck to beat the final boss? I wouldn't mind restarting the fight but each time I play it the fight lasts for about an hour before I die and have to restart. Does anyone have a good deck setup to beat the fight?

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The very thought of this game makes me ache with longing. My old roommate had this on his PSP and I played it quite a bit, though I never got very far. I, unfortunately, cannot afford this PSP business, and cannot play the awesomeness of this game. This roommate is also the reason I own a copy of Mega Man: Powered Up! that hasn't been played in more than a year.
    From what I played of the game, it was pure sex, even the unconventional cutscenes were awesome. I also want to check out Acid 2, I've heard that the art style was a little more graphic novel-y.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    So, anyone care to help me with building a deck to beat the final boss? I wouldn't mind restarting the fight but each time I play it the fight lasts for about an hour before I die and have to restart. Does anyone have a good deck setup to beat the fight?

For MGA1?
    Put a couple box cards into the girl's deck, and just hide her in the box for the whole fight. She doesn't really help much. As for snake, get as many nakita and stinger missile cards as you can into his deck. They're really the only things that do considerable damage.

Unfortunately, those cards are kind of rare. The last boss fight in MGA1 is kind of a bitch because snake can be killed in one hit if you mess up your timing.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    CreativeNameHereCreativeNameHere Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm bumping this topic because these games rule and I've decided to play through them again.

Also MGA3 possible. http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2008/08/25/metal-gear-acid-3-possible-on-playstation-network-says-hideo-kojima.htm

CreativeNameHere on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm bumping this topic because these games rule and I've decided to play through them again.

Also MGA3 possible. http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2008/08/25/metal-gear-acid-3-possible-on-playstation-network-says-hideo-kojima.htm

On PSN?

CURSE YOU KOJIMA!

Make something for my wonderful 360, Wii, or PC....

Even another PSP game...

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I wonder if by on PSN they mean they'll release it as a downloadable psp game. I've kinda held off buying AC!D 1&2 used because I was hoping they would hit the PSN store.

EDIT:
    Actually I went back to the original Eurogamer article (not the blog post) and nowhere do they mention ps3 or even an AC!D 3. I not really sure if they are talking about a new AC!D or rereleased the first two digitally. Personally I'd be kinda surprised if they did more AC!D games since I don't think they sold all that well. At least not as well as portable ops for example. But we'll see....

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.