As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best PCI card made

SmilingoatSmilingoat Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
im having a hard time finding a pretty solid answer on what the best performing PCI card was, not PCI-express. we are updating my parents computer so my mom and play sim city scocieties (on low settings im sure) and all the MB will accept is PCI... i had an old 9800pro, was there ever anything better made? if so what was it? any factory OC versions that work well? they will be getting a new comp in about 1 year and they will keep this one as basically an internet user/old games player.

game will be played at lower resolutions obviously, but not extreamly low hopefully. anyway she has 1GB of DDR so this is the one thing that will make her system meet the system requirements (has a P4 2.4)

thanks for the help guys, im continuing to search, but most sites say "upgrade to AGP" but at this point that would be rediculas, and in a year they will have a new computer and skip AGP all togeather (with PCI-E)

again thanks, fast replies would be great, trying to set this up before chirstmas and will have to mail order the parts.

whos havin butt-seks
Smilingoat on

• Options
    edited December 2007
    shit, apparently the 9800 was AGP... had that mixed up... which means its probably going to be an even worse card than that... gah, i hope i can find something that will work for what she wants.

Smilingoat on
    whos havin butt-seks
  • Options
    Shark_MegaByteShark_MegaByte Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Googling didn't find many relevant results so I listed some products.

(NewEgg - show all PCI video cards)

If you prefer ATI, looks like there are a few chipsets with PCI in the X1000 series, otherwise the highest is 9250.

Sorry I can't help with the "which is the best" part; I'm not sure if I've ever even had a PCI video card.

Shark_MegaByte on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    PCI is basically dead as far as graphics cards go. If it's any consolation, Sim City 2000 is a much better game than Societies and will run on an older computer. Heck, even Sim City 3000 should work with that setup. Societies runs like crap even on computers that meet the requirements so you're going to have trouble with a computer limited to PCI.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    PCI is basically dead as far as graphics cards go. If it's any consolation, Sim City 2000 is a much better game than Societies and will run on an older computer. Heck, even Sim City 3000 should work with that setup. Societies runs like crap even on computers that meet the requirements so you're going to have trouble with a computer limited to PCI.

yeah. but to be honest she plays sim city 4 on this damn thing, and still lives with it, she doesn't mind sub 30fps. which drives me insane. so if i can get it to the point where it plays, then in 1 year when she upgrades to a new competent computer she'll get to play it with ease.

we went with the Radeon X1550 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Video Card, was pricey at $90, but its chirstmas, and she should now be able to play the game (Slowly) and the Sims 2.

Smilingoat on
    whos havin butt-seks
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I would sooner buy a new motherboard with onboard video than buy a new PCI graphics card.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    IconoclysmIconoclysm Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Dunno if it's still of any use but the highest specced PCI card I've ever seen was a NVidia FX5600.
    Christ knows if any are still available in the retail chain, but you may get lucky on ebay.

Iconoclysm on
    t=54717