Options

[Vanguard:SoH] Account re-activiation

Tapeworm711Tapeworm711 Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
I heat they are Re-activiating 60 day or older accounts so people can check out whats new/improved. Not sure If im the only one on the planet that really enjpyed thier time with Vanguard. I actually reactivated mt accound a day before they annouced this. DOH.

Judging by the lack of a single thread, I imagine this is the case. =(

Say it aint so!!

Tapeworm711 on

• Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I actually did enjoy this game but I stopped playing because the the poor performance... I want to take advantage of this account reactivation but I can't for the life of me find out where I can re-download the game.

edit: nm, I had to download that station launcher beta in order to re-download the game.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Is this part of the re-launch of the game they were going to do? And if so, what's been improved/changed?

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    anti-everythinganti-everything Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've got an entirely new computer since stopping in February, it's nice to see what this game is intended to look like. I wasn't able to play long enough to see many of the problems that people had issue with, so it's nearly a completely fresh experience for me.

Yesterday I abandoned the gank fest PvP server and rolled an elf sorcerer on a PvE server and had a lot of fun getting to level 7. Hope that continues.

anti-everything on
    550191-1.png
  • Options
    JungsUJungsU Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    so how are things shaping up?

At the moment i'm looking for a world to get lost in, since i've burned out on wowgenericmmorpg#666.

I've decided to go with a slightly more 'hardcore' mmorpg but can't decide between EQ2 or Vanguard.

I know Everquest 2 has improved dramatically over the years, but i heard the same things about Vanguard... Can anyone post their experiences/opinions (preferably objective) regarding these 2 MMORPGs?

JungsU on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The only thing I can say about EQ2 is that I've played their "trial" thing and I just couldn't get into it at all. I didn't like the way the models looked and none of the buildings looked like they belonged in the world. It just didn't do anything for me at all. I much prefer Vanguard as the models are much better IMO and the world is much more expansive. There are still some issues. The game is still a bit of a resource hog especially in cities, it can get pretty choppy but the choppiness isn't much of an issue outside the main cities. The crafting system is pretty neat there is a wiki link all about crafting on www.vanguardcrafters.com and there lots of races and a good amount of classes to chose from.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So, is there any way to get a trial of this? I played a bit at beta, liked it, then didn't buy it due to the bugs and crap.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I don't believe there is a trial yet. I think they were/are working on one but its going to be a stand alone client along the lines of the EQ2 trial of the isle. Which isn't a bad idea I guess seeing as how the full client is about a 18gig download.

LittleBoots on

• Options
    edited December 2007
    18 gigs... why?!?!!?

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Is this part of the re-launch of the game they were going to do? And if so, what's been improved/changed?
    I'd be interested in knowing, too.

I've made some major hardware upgrades since I left. Vanguard seemed to have a lot of potential, but it barely even functioned on my old PC.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Vanguard runs better but keep in mind it runs better than vanguard used to, which is to say that even though it runs better it still runs worst than most MMOs. They've updated character occlusion which means that now if a character is behind a wall or something (i.e out of your line of sight) they're not drawn which helps a lot in towns but the game still needs a beast of a machine to run on anything other than their "balanced" graphics setting with a reasonable frame rate.

To give you an idea my machine is fairly old, AMD64 4000+, 2gigs or ram, Nvidia 7800GT CO, and two old ass 80gig PATA HDDs. I run the game on balanced settings and out in the open or in dungeons I probably get a FPS in the 30s until some fighting goes down. Once the spells start spamming it probably drops in the 20s or below. In major cities I get a FPS in the teens until I duck into a shop or tavern. So its playable but not ideal. Newer machines shouldn't really have a problem with the game except that I hear there are a few bugs with 8800GTX cards. The game is still a bit buggy and you will see odd graphical glitches like NPCs with no bodies just floating hair and weapon but for me the game has enough depth and potential that I can over look these things

LittleBoots on

• Options
    edited December 2007
    18 gigs... why?!?!!?

Its 18gigs because the enviroments and teh huge liek xb0x and its running on the Unreal engine. I'm pretty sure its the art assets that drive up the size.

LittleBoots on

• Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Effectivly its 18 gigs cause sigil didn't have a clue how to code / create there world and keep it from having to rendor everthing etc. So far SoE is doing a very good job of optomizing and fixing all the leaks. They have added a ton of new quests etc for the middle levels. It seems they are about 2 publishes way from doing a "re-release" so it shall be interesting to see what happens.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    chrpnkchrpnk Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Reinstalled, logged on, checked the guild list and saw the last time most people have been on was April, ran around on my camel, then logged off.

I would probably check this out more of other people were on.

chrpnk on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Have they changed the zone loading mechanics yet? 'Cause, seriously, fuck that shit. :|

Glal on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Vanguard is about 100x better in the bugs department, but is approximately 0x better in the performance department. Seriously, people with 8800ultras are getting low 20s FPS in town. If the bugs were the determining factor, then go ahead and give it a try.

They also lowered the leveling curves for less grind, and adjusted a few game mechanics. There's not much new stuff in terms of content. Hell, they don't even have helmet graphics in yet, and my vulmane's ears still poke through his hood.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It's somewhat sad when the reasons you (with which I mean myself) like the game are "because it's sort of like EQ2". Performance was shit, zone loading mechanics should never have left beta, but the game did have little bits here and there that made me keep playing for the first 'free' month. Lost all interest when the people I know stopped playing though.

Glal on
  • Options
    KiithKiith Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So, is there a 60 day re-activation for old player? I'm in work at the moment, and cant get on the site, but i'd love to go back and try this again....assuming its free. It could have been an amazing game, but since there was not one playing it, it was a bit on the slow side. Especially since its supposed to be more group oriented then most MMO's.

Kiith on
    The very existense of flame throwers proves that at sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves "I want to set those people over there on fire, but i'm just not close enough to get the job done."
  • Options
    dachishdachish Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    chrpnk wrote: »
    Reinstalled, logged on, checked the guild list and saw the last time most people have been on was April, ran around on my camel, then logged off.

That's not true sir! I was on a mere month or two ago! =)

dachish on
    My heart it ceases, my breath undrawn.
    Eyes forever focused, on the sanguine, metal dawn.
  • Options
    chrpnkchrpnk Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    dachish wrote: »

You have like 32 alts in the guild, I can't keep track of that.

chrpnk on
  • Options
    dachishdachish Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    dachish wrote: »

You have like 32 alts in the guild, I can't keep track of that.

That's very, very true.

dachish on
    My heart it ceases, my breath undrawn.
    Eyes forever focused, on the sanguine, metal dawn.
  • Options
    TimmerTimmer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Beta player here and played for a month after retail; quit for the usual reasons...

Started playing again the other day taking advantage of the free game time right now. It's still like I remember it (ie, very rough and not even close to finish) but it's actually quite playable now which it wasn't before.

There's something about the game that I really do like. Maybe it's the feel of "here's a big world: have fun!" that's missing from newer MMOs or maybe it's the interesting classes. I do really like the crafting and now that it's been re-worked a bit and no so painfully crazy, it's a fun mini-game (don't know if it's practical yet, though).

While the combat animations are still not very fluid, I do like that I can tell what every move I'm doing just by watching my character and it all makes sense. It has a very deliberate feel to both the animations and the combat itself. It makes me wish they could have perfected the original slower-pace combat system they were working on (although it's still slower than most games). I am having a blast playing my Paladin both just watching my character fight and in using fun strategy to survive fun fights.

I hope SOE continues to put some money into the game because if they do it can end up being a nice little game.

Timmer on
  • Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Read what you guys said here, and looked at the Vanguard website. Hmm... now I'm left with the decision to either re-activate my old L65 Rogue in EQ1, or try out Vanguard.

Are there enough people playing Vanguard to get groups, or is the game still kinda in DOA failure mode until possibly the re-launch? And what do you do when you reach level cap? Is there "raiding" or anything, or is it more open-ended like the original UO?

JediNight on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Wow... okay so I've been playing since this promotion. It's still very rough. Very very very. So sad.

However, it is playable and man there's a good game under all that crud. I finally got my Paladin to the low 20s and got into some good groups. Once you get over the dungeon art design just not being immaculate like in WoW or LoTRO and just play the game, it's very fun. Dungeon crawling and tanking is quite stressful! Tanking in particular is very interactive and constantly involves keeping many targets on you. Pulling is back as sometimes splitting entire rooms will keep you alive. The quests in some of the dungeons could use some work but so far having the most fun just exploring.

They do have a neat system with bosses in dungeons where you have to 'spawn' or 'unlock' them and they instantly get locked to your group so there's no worry of someone grabbing it (not that that's a huge problem with the low player pop here).

All in all, I don't know if I'm going to resubscribe right away (I paid for LotRO for 3 months before VG did their promo) but I think after the next update I will in a few months -- this game has a great feel of adventuring and plenty of quest content (I mean tons, I end up outleveling 70% of my quests it seems since I try to grab every one I can). Many quite entertaining and small thread oriented.

I must also add that while the animation engine is pretty rough (read: jerky feeling) the animations themselves are great -- My paladin has at least 8-10 unique melee attacks, almost a 1:1 for move:animation which is great and they're pretty spiffy moves too. It's quite nice compared to most games where there's 1-3 'special move' animations at most.

Jedi: To answer your questions:
    - It might be worth a check out. Just be prepared for a lot of roughness at first, especially depending on which race you choose as each has their own starting area some better than others (some areas look worse than EQ1 while others look great).

- So far there's not a ton of players but tonight I did two PUGs for two dungeons and each time got enough people within 10 minutes of broadcasting LFM messages and both groups were quite fun and pretty good for PUGs.

- There's really not much end-game but that's not a factor for me since if I have fun for even just a few months then woo. They just added their first raiding area but beyond that, there's really not much there unless you're into crafting player boats and houses but I haven't looked into what's involved with all of that. I will say though that if you level up in the three spheres at the same time (Diplomacy, Crafting/Harvesting, and Adventuring) it'll take you a good amount of time to max your character out.

I really hope the VG group can get the game decently polished somewhat soon and add more content and get more people playing -- the core game really deserves better than the buffy unfinished state the current game is in right now (and even now it's still a lot of fun).

Timmer on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    What I don't understand is how MMO companies (especially SOE) can consistently make the same mistakes over and over and over again to shoot themselves in the foot right from release. MMO history is littered with the husks of failed games released too soon.

Sony has to realize that THE most important time for an MMO is those first 1-2months the game is out, so if the game doesn't run well in that time period, people aren't going to play beyond that first free month. Yet obviously Vanguard had a lot of hype going for it before release, and they chose to push it out far too early and bomb it.

You think they would have learned after SWG was still-born early that the best return on investment is just wait until its ready. Or after all the rushed EQ expansions. Or look at games like Anarchy Online or WW2Online... Auto-Assault more recently ...

JediNight on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    JediNight wrote: »
    What I don't understand is how MMO companies (especially SOE) can consistently make the same mistakes over and over and over again to shoot themselves in the foot right from release. MMO history is littered with the husks of failed games released too soon.

Sony has to realize that THE most important time for an MMO is those first 1-2months the game is out, so if the game doesn't run well in that time period, people aren't going to play beyond that first free month. Yet obviously Vanguard had a lot of hype going for it before release, and they chose to push it out far too early and bomb it.

You think they would have learned after SWG was still-born early that the best return on investment is just wait until its ready. Or after all the rushed EQ expansions. Or look at games like Anarchy Online or WW2Online... Auto-Assault more recently ...

Sony did not make this game. Sigil did. Sony bought it after release when Sigil and kept it from closing down due to Sigil having no money left.

Same lesson but not the same company. There are a lot of interesting articles about the history of this game. But in short, bad management made them pretty much led them to have to re-do the game like a year before it got released. So what we're playing is mostly a quick and dirty attempt to get the game to releasable state which is why it's in alpha-beta phase right now. It's really sad since they have some really awesome parts to the game and if they were able to start with what they have now and have full development time starting with this, the game could have easily been in the EQ/EQ2 league of games.

Timmer on
  • Options
    SkayelSkayel Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm playing this free period as well. I played at release like so many other people and quit for the same reasons as they did. They game, as has been said, is very playable and I'm having a good time in it. Populations seem fine since they did server mergers, and getting groups isn't usually much of a problem. If it is a problem there is always a good amount of solo stuff to keep you busy until you find one. There is a huge amount of content, at all levels, even endgame raiding.

Also, crafting is very useful all throughout the game. About 80% of all level 50 people i inspect are wearing mostly crafted gear, the other 20% in raid gear.

Skayel on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    So they aren't charging to play right now? For how long does that last? 0_o

JediNight on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    JediNight wrote: »
    So they aren't charging to play right now? For how long does that last? 0_o

They reactivated all closed accounts (I think accounts had to have a minimum play time to qualify) so it's not a "anyone can play for free" thing as much as a "hey come play the game again" promo.

Timmer on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Skayel wrote: »
    Also, crafting is very useful all throughout the game. About 80% of all level 50 people i inspect are wearing mostly crafted gear, the other 20% in raid gear.

That's good to hear. It seems to me to still suffer from every MMO crafting design of "yay I can finally make an item that would have been good for me last week" syndrome. That said, the crafting mechanics I totally love -- it's a true mini game in itself.

Timmer on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Timmer wrote: »
    Same lesson but not the same company. There are a lot of interesting articles about the history of this game. But in short, bad management made them pretty much led them to have to re-do the game like a year before it got released. So what we're playing is mostly a quick and dirty attempt to get the game to releasable state which is why it's in alpha-beta phase right now.
    I was under the impression that the game was originally funded by MS, who with the coming of the 360 shifted focus from "we will do anything to dominate the MMO market!" to "we will do anything to dominate the console market... THIS time!", resulting in them suddenly dropping the game and Sigil running around like a headless chicken, trying to find someone else to fund the project. And even when they did, the programmers they were given were essentially people who made Sim Whatever games who knew nothing about MMORPGs and how they differ from normal games, slowing down development time further.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    Timmer wrote: »
    Same lesson but not the same company. There are a lot of interesting articles about the history of this game. But in short, bad management made them pretty much led them to have to re-do the game like a year before it got released. So what we're playing is mostly a quick and dirty attempt to get the game to releasable state which is why it's in alpha-beta phase right now.
    I was under the impression that the game was originally funded by MS, who with the coming of the 360 shifted focus from "we will do anything to dominate the MMO market!" to "we will do anything to dominate the console market... THIS time!", resulting in them suddenly dropping the game and Sigil running around like a headless chicken, trying to find someone else to fund the project. And even when they did, the programmers they were given were essentially people who made Sim Whatever games who knew nothing about MMORPGs and how they differ from normal games, slowing down development time further.

From everything I remember and have read since, no programmers were changed until Sony bought Sigil after release. The funding was just that, funding and publishing support. Sigil and MS parted ways and SOE became the publisher and with that came a chunk of money to finish the game. I think it was around this time that they kinda scrapped Vangaurd 1.0 and made Vanguard 1.5 which is what we're playing now. When Sony purchased Sigil they obviously let go many of Sigil's employees (I do know they kept a few like "Glip" and the lead class designer which makes me happy as it's the best part of VG IMHO) and brought in some of their own. They are now working on re-doing much of the back end that is VG's biggest issues (graphics engine, network engine, client coding). They've made big leaps in graphics performance. I hear they're really concentrating on network and client code currently. Hopefully they can wrap those up and get a good toolset built so the content creators can get up to speed and finish/fix/create new content.

Timmer on
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    i may check this out, see what's new...i did like it a fair amount but got bored shortly in.....hmmm

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    RivulentRivulent Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    After getting tired of WoW once more, I thought about reactivating my vanguard account. Then I read about Sony potentially selling off it's mmo division to an indian company, to increase profits. I went ahead and just rolled another alt in WoW :/

Rivulent on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    ummm.. That story was false.

I'd like to try Vanguard again, but I'm not sure if the optimizations mentioned above would let me get more then ~10fps with this computer.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    You know, if there was a trial of this I would get it, probably enjoy it, then buy it. But since there isn't I don't want to throw my money away on a bet. They're missing out on potential customers!

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    You know, if there was a trial of this I would get it, probably enjoy it, then buy it. But since there isn't I don't want to throw my money away on a bet. They're missing out on potential customers!

They will soon but they're trying to get some more core things fixed. Right now it's still in a funky state (much more where a late-end beta should be unlike the alpha state of the game at release). They are planning a re-launch early this year hopefully.

Honestly, though, if you think you might like it I'm sure you can get the game for cheap which comes with a month free. I know I'm not everyone but I generally don't mind spending <$20 for a game that I may only play for a month.

Timmer on