As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Valuable skills

precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Curious, I always see on craigslist people who will trade things I would like ala ATV's and stuff for work done on their house, tattoo work etc. I do computer work as a job and everyone and their job is a tech nowadays, so my skills are pretty much worthless when it comes to barter time. How can one learn this stuff? Is it just a matter of buying books and trying? I don't come from a very handy family so really, I am at a lost.

I feel like Napoleon Dynamite and I need some bo staff skills.

precisionk on

• Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You learn these skills just like any other, find someone to teach you and practice.

I get the feeling though that people are looking for professionals to do this work. I don't think anyone wants a tatoo from a guy who only dabbles in the art or wants somebody whose last project was a dog house to work on their house.

Unless you have some sort of latent aptitude you just never had the opportunity to bring out, you're not likely to develop a skill at a professional level unless you pursue it as a profession. I mean, as an example, just consider the difference in aptitude between someone who likes to tinker with computers in his spare time and someone who has been working in IT for the past 10 years.

All that being said, I have a friend who is learning tatoo through a sort of apprenticeship with a guy who runs a parlour. He works full time as a graphic designer however so a lot of the skills are transferrable and it's mostly a matter of working with a new medium.

oldsak on
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    oldsak wrote: »
    You learn these skills just like any other, find someone to teach you and practice.

I get the feeling though that people are looking for professionals to do this work. I don't think anyone wants a tatoo from a guy who only dabbles in the art or wants somebody whose last project was a dog house to work on their house.

Unless you have some sort of latent aptitude you just never had the opportunity to bring out, you're not likely to develop a skill at a professional level unless you pursue it as a profession. I mean, as an example, just consider the difference in aptitude between someone who likes to tinker with computers in his spare time and someone who has been working in IT for the past 10 years.

All that being said, I have a friend who is learning tatoo through a sort of apprenticeship with a guy who runs a parlour. He works full time as a graphic designer however so a lot of the skills are transferrable and it's mostly a matter of working with a new medium.

Indeed, I was thinking more along the lines of labor work then anything, like carpentry or something. My brother is a tattoo artist so I know how that process works.

I guess it all relates to finding and learning a skill. My only real skill I have is having the gift to gab and be able to get anyone to talk to me about any subject comfortably. Though, I don't know how to use this as a career and or jump off point.

precisionk on
  • Options
    JustPlainPavekJustPlainPavek Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well, if you're looking to learn carpentry / construction sort of skills, find your local Habitat for Humanity affiliate, and go out and build every weekend. I don't think I'm at the point where I'd sell my services to others, but I know I've learned a lot, and I came to it completely unskilled. Short of apprenticing yourself, I don't know who else is as willing to take volunteers for that kind of thing as Habitat.

Or, alternatively, I guess you could watch a lot of Bob Villa tapes or something.

JustPlainPavek on