As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Latest OSX update killed my MacBook

saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
And I'm trying to get on the apple website to get any kind of information and it crashes IE7 and Firefox on my PC.

I got the little notifier on my MacBook to install updates so I went along with it and told it to install and restart. Well, it just closed finder then sat there for ten minutes doing nothing at all so I had no choice but to do a hard restart by holding down the power button. It restarted but it's stuck in the new operating system mode where it asks me all my personal info and wants me to give it a profile picture. I do all that and it just asks me all over again.

So now I'm trying to get to the apple website and it crashes IE7 and Firefox apparently due to some Quicktime error (GOD I FUCKING HATE QUICKTIME). Anyone else having the update problem or problems getting the apple website to load?

XBL: heavenkils
saltiness on

• Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Try safari?

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It isn't a panacea, but this really does sound like a permissions problem. When I had my Leopard install go bad, it was because it had the permissions set incorrectly and it couldn't install updates properly.

Try running Disk Utility from your OS X CD and run Repair Permissions. Then play it's silly game with the profiles, and see where it leads you. None of your home folder data should be gone (hopefully!)

Lewisham on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yes once Finder closes OSX does whatever it does, then restarts. Can take a while too.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Thanks for the responses. I wound up just taking my laptop to the apple store after class this morning because it's only a few blocks from my school. Apparently it was an issue with the permissions like Lewisham said. It took the genius bar guys a good 45 mins to fix it, they said they've never seen one so messed up.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils