As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can a corporation be charged with murder?

DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy EaterRight behind you...Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
A corporation is defined as a legal entity or a juristic person with certain rights and privileges afforded to it, in which the several members are considered to act as a single entity.

Consider this case. In short, CIGNA Healthcare declined to pay for a teens liver transplant, then reversed their decision hours before the girl died. The family has requested that the district attorney charge CIGNA with murder or manslaughter.

So, what are the legal rights of the corporation, and how far do they extend to the corporation being considered a legal entity in terms of being charged with something normally directed at a single person? If charges are brought up and the corporation found guilty, how would such a crime be punished since there are ranges provided under the law, most of which require prison time?

Dalboz on

• Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Here in the UK a company can be charged with corporate manslaughter, but the only time I've ever heard of anyone being charged is after a train crash.

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    It's stuff like this that makes me surprised that we don't see more shooting sprees in insurance offices. It's always a mall or a school or something.

Doc on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Shouldn't you just charge the douches who made the decisions...?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ryuprechtryuprecht Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Isn't there a good samaritan law that states that if you have the skills to assist someone in need you must? Maybe I'm crazy but I thought I heard something like this. As in, if you are a doctor and the man in front of you at the grocery store clutches his chest and falls to the ground, you are obligated to assist to the best of your ability.

Seems like the company proved it had the ability and in the end it did not violate their fiduciary responsibilities to approve the transplant, and in choosing to delay....

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    What I find pretty terrible is that the brother went through a bone marrow transplant to save his sis, and then this happens.

That is some pretty painful surgery.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The US government will never support holding the insurance industry responsible for the terrible things it does. The lobby is too strong, their pockets too deep.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Here in the UK a company can be charged with corporate manslaughter, but the only time I've ever heard of anyone being charged is after a train crash.

Manslaughter or reckless neglect &c. I could see. Not a murder charge. It's kind of hard for an office building to get a good grip a gun.

moniker on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    ryuprecht wrote: »
    Isn't there a good samaritan law that states that if you have the skills to assist someone in need you must? Maybe I'm crazy but I thought I heard something like this. As in, if you are a doctor and the man in front of you at the grocery store clutches his chest and falls to the ground, you are obligated to assist to the best of your ability.

Seems like the company proved it had the ability and in the end it did not violate their fiduciary responsibilities to approve the transplant, and in choosing to delay....
    This is kind of a weird area. If you're a medical professional, you do, in fact, have a duty (in the U.S., anyhow) to assist anyone having a medical emergency in the immediate area. Beyond that, though, I don't think it's constitutional to require people to help others. There are good samaritan laws that protect good samaritans from civil liability (like if I pull someone from a burning car, and they end up paralyzed because I fucked up their neck, they can't sue me for it), but not really anything that would require them to act.

I think the idea of corporate personhood is retarded. A corporation is a legal construction; you should be able to hold it liable for a death, and receive compensation, or to charge the officers of that corporation criminally for the corporations actions, but the corporation itself shouldn't be able to be charged criminally.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    With regard to crimes like murder, no I don't think a corporation can or should be able to be charged. At the end of the day it was a few people who made and approved the decision that resulted in the above situation, and any cases of liability or criminality should instead pursue those individuals rather than the corporation as a whole, considering as a corporation they were not directly responsible since this was a single isolated case rather than widespread use of the company's resources to commit a crime. If there is a case whereby a majority of a single corporation's resources are being used to commit a crime, then in that situation I believe you could successfully charge the company, but not this one.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Shinto on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    There was a similar case where a fire fighter died of Leukemia I believe because the insurance company wouldn't honor his claim, they approved it after he died of course.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think its one of those evolving principles. If a corporation can attract all sorts of other rights that accrue to a natural person then being held culpable for murder is surely only a matter of time. Plus I think there probably is a market for televised trials of corporate fatcats.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    GOJIRA!GOJIRA! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If Law & Order taught us anything; its that DA McCoy can win a jury case, but any conviction probably wouldn't survive an appeal.

GOJIRA! on
    "We are cursed," said Iyad Sarraj, a Gaza psychiatrist and a human rights activist. "Our leaders are either Israeli collaborators, asses, or mentally unstable."
    Sounds vaguely familiar...
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    In FutureCourt there is no appeal.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Shinto wrote: »

how do you pinpoint them? There's a whole chain of command involved, from the mouth-breathing case officer to the CEO, and ultimate responsibility can lie with any one of them. case officer might be a chode, or might be under orders from above. orders might have been misinterpreted, etc etc. The company will close ranks immediately to prevent anyone getting a good idea of how their operation works, and pinning ultimate responsibility on a person or persons without simply nailing the scapegoats becomes very difficult.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wait, you don't even have corporate manslaughter in the US?

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Thinatos wrote: »
    ryuprecht wrote: »

This is kind of a weird area. If you're a medical professional, you do, in fact, have a duty (in the U.S., anyhow) to assist anyone having a medical emergency in the immediate area. Beyond that, though, I don't think it's constitutional to require people to help others. There are good samaritan laws that protect good samaritans from civil liability (like if I pull someone from a burning car, and they end up paralyzed because I fucked up their neck, they can't sue me for it), but not really anything that would require them to act.
    I think it's not so much that you're required to assist them, as you're required to assist if you're on the scene since your presence may have dissuaded others (i.e. if you stop at a car crash, someone else might not).
    Thinatos wrote: »
    I think the idea of corporate personhood is retarded. A corporation is a legal construction; you should be able to hold it liable for a death, and receive compensation, or to charge the officers of that corporation criminally for the corporations actions, but the corporation itself shouldn't be able to be charged criminally.

Agreed. Criminal law deals with the conduct of individuals, not entities.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Æthelred wrote: »
    Wait, you don't even have corporate manslaughter in the US?
    IANAL, but I am a legal geek, and I've never heard of it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    A buddy of mine from Glendale told me about this earlier, he thinks he might know the girl's family. This is shitty.

What kind of sentence does corporate manslaughter get a company in the UK?

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've only hear of civil stuff in the states, or something where it can be tied to a malicious act by an individual. (the state's attorney's and shit can sue people, but I'm fairly sure that still counts as civil.)

even then, I mean shit... fucking blackwater. christ.

naw, we don't have any sort of anti-business laws like that.

rico, is the closest thing I know of.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It really makes the most sense to treat it as a civil and not a criminal issue. You can't make a corporation serve prison time, you can only punish a corporation by making it pay fines or damages.

In a criminal trial there is a much higher burden of proof than in civil law so it would be easier to actually get a favorable decision.

The clear disadvantage of civil litigation is that corporations can hire legal teams who are experts at clogging up the process in the hopes that plaintiffs will eventually have to drop charges or settle because they can't afford to continue.

oldsak on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    There haven't been that many corporate manslaughter cases brought to court in the UK yet and few of those result in a prosecution. The cases usually suffer for lack of evidence, probably partly due to some of the reasons Cat outlines.

Anarchy is right in saying that it's mostly been rail companies that are charged. This case saw only a fine over Health and Safety laws, with the execs escaping a coprorate manslaughter conviction.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I wouldn't bother with manslaughter/murder. Wrongful death however? Absolutely.

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Shogun wrote: »

Which is civil law, not criminal.

oldsak on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    oldsak wrote: »

And? In the US you can't charge a corporation for murder or manslaughter. If they want some justice done their best bet is a wrongful death suit. Don't get me wrong no amount of money will ever be worth the daughter they lost. Period. But I'd at least try to get something out of the bastards. Of course then people's premiums rise etc etc. Vicious cycle and whatnot. What else are they supposed to do?

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

And? In the US you can't charge a corporation for murder or manslaughter. If they want some justice done their best bet is a wrongful death suit. Don't get me wrong no amount of money will ever be worth the daughter they lost. Period. But I'd at least try to get something out of the bastards. Of course then people's premiums rise etc etc. Vicious cycle and whatnot. What else are they supposed to do?

Well yeah, that was my point. If they want to effect some sort of punishment on CIGNA they'll have to take action themselves and can't hope that the government will be able to punish them criminally.

That and corporations shouldn't be subjected to criminal liability because civil law is better suited to deal with them.

oldsak on
  • Options
    Spacehog85Spacehog85 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    It's stuff like this that makes me surprised that we don't see more shooting sprees in insurance offices. It's always a mall or a school or something.

No kidding. My insurance turned down medicine for my kid about a month ago. Not a big deal, we just went with the generic stuff. The thing that gave me the red ass was the nice little pamphlet I recieved about two weeks later asking me if I wanted to obtain health insurance for any pets I may have.

Now hearing this, I don't even know where to begin to express my outrage. I really don't feel like reading the article, did it mention the precise reason for her to have it denied? She was a kid. With a liver problem. I'm willing to bet she didn't drink, so why in the fuck isnt she getting ready for santa with her new freaking liver? fucking corperate assholes. everyone is a fucking number and no one matters. doc is right. someone needs to run up in there like, as much as I hate to refrence a movie right now, the two angels did in dogma. blow all of those overpaid drones into the next fucking life.

Spacehog85 on
  • Options
    Spacehog85Spacehog85 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    now i just fucking read it and know im only more pissed off
    The family’s “loss is immeasurable, and our thoughts and prayers are with them,” Cigna said in a news release Friday.

“We deeply hope that the outpouring of concern, care and love that are being expressed for Nataline’s family help them at this time,” the company said.

wow. im sure their canned fucking response is really making the family feel better
    Despite the reversal, Cigna said in an e-mail statement before she died that there was a lack of medical evidence showing the procedure would work in Nataline’s case.

“Cigna HealthCare has decided to make an exception in this rare and unusual case and we will provide coverage should she proceed with the requested liver transplant,” that statement read.

why is it important wether or not it would work? i understand because there are other people on the list. but i doubt that is why cigna denied it. isnt any shot to save a life worth it? perhaps if she was a politicians daughter or the daughter of the asshole who had the final say in turning them down? i wonder how much it would matter then.

Spacehog85 on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

The movie 'Quiz Show' springs to mind.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Well yeah, that was my point. If they want to effect some sort of punishment on CIGNA they'll have to take action themselves and can't hope that the government will be able to punish them criminally.

That and corporations shouldn't be subjected to criminal liability because civil law is better suited to deal with them.

I don't know, criminal negligence might still be applicable to corporations or individuals taking place within them. Even though charges may never stick due to the higher burden of proof and such it still seems like an avenue that should be accessible to people depending on the situation. I know it was part of the Hyatt collapse, though I don't think the architect got any sentencing and was just stripped of his license by the AIA and his firm got reamed in civil suits. (Which was really too bad for him, because it was the dumbass intern's fault even though he should have been more attentive to his fuckups. It's also why we have the highest liability insurance behind doctors)

moniker on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Well obviously if a person or persons acted negligently to the degree that they would be criminally liable, they couldn't shield themselves behind the corporation. However it's far more likely that the corporate structure is to blame than any individual or individuals.

Criminal liability would exist if someone negligently failed to follow protocol, or perhaps didn't properly access the girl's case. You have to remember though that the procedures of these insurance companies are set up to deny as many claims as possible.

The corporate entity itself could not be held criminally liable for the reasons i mentioned before.

It would be interesting to see if you could hold someone who designs a business model that leads to such predictable results criminally liable for negligent homicide. These models are usually an amalgam of established predecessors though and it's hard to say who, if any one, is responsible for the methods they employ.

oldsak on
  • Options
    cliffskicliffski Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Theres been lots of situations in the Uk where is amazingly clear that certain idiots in corporations are the reason that people died (like train crashes due to cost cutting) and despite tons of arguing and court cases, none of the management of those companies EVER ends up personally taking the blame.
    I find it pretty disgusting.

cliffski on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm going to need examples here.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    There's the unfortunate case of Bohpa;l. One of the only cases I know where the CEO was charged with homocide (manslaughter) due to corporate malfeasance. Unfortunately the guy will never appear in front of an Indian court.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    Shinto wrote: »

how do you pinpoint them? There's a whole chain of command involved, from the mouth-breathing case officer to the CEO, and ultimate responsibility can lie with any one of them. case officer might be a chode, or might be under orders from above. orders might have been misinterpreted, etc etc. The company will close ranks immediately to prevent anyone getting a good idea of how their operation works, and pinning ultimate responsibility on a person or persons without simply nailing the scapegoats becomes very difficult.

I'm not sure that those generalizations hold up in specific cases. I mean, no doubt there are attempts to obscure information and whatnot, but is it more than in any other criminal case? And we didn't seem to be totally unable to send people to jail in the wave of financial misdoing here in the U.S. around 2001.

Shinto on
  • Options
    ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    in BC if a worker dies on the job, all of that workers superiors, all the way to the top can be charged with some type of manslaughter if the employee was deemed to have inadequate training to safely perform the task that killed them.

it's fairly new, so noone's been charged, as far as i know.

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    entropykidentropykid Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If corporations could be tried for murder, Bayer alone could be tried for the death of millions(Holocaust, AIDS tainted Factor 8 medication, etc)

Coca Cola and Chiquita Banana could be charged with mass slaughter in Latin America

Dyncorp would be charged with organized child sex slavery kidnapping in Bosnia circa 1999-2002

I WISH corporations could be held responsible, and not in that Enron limited hangout sort of way

Anyone seen the powerful documentary "The Corporation"?

entropykid on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I'm just curious how is it Bayer is responsible for the holocaust?

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I'm just curious how is it Bayer is responsible for the holocaust?

Not really responsible, but helped facilitate it in the same way as IBM's adding machines kept the cow cars of 'undesireables' on time. The Corporation actually is an excellent documentary regarding the twisted form that corporations now embody which are only partially restrained by regulation when you go up to the big boys. It's still the best way to keep my boss from losing his house if something goes wrong and the company gets sued/fails, of course, but the spectrum is so broad as to need consistent reminding.

moniker on
  • Options
    clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Dalboz wrote: »
    A corporation is defined as a legal entity or a juristic person with certain rights and privileges afforded to it, in which the several members are considered to act as a single entity.

Consider this case. In short, CIGNA Healthcare declined to pay for a teens liver transplant, then reversed their decision hours before the girl died. The family has requested that the district attorney charge CIGNA with murder or manslaughter.

So, what are the legal rights of the corporation, and how far do they extend to the corporation being considered a legal entity in terms of being charged with something normally directed at a single person? If charges are brought up and the corporation found guilty, how would such a crime be punished since there are ranges provided under the law, most of which require prison time?

There are some things about this case that really don't sit right with me. The fact that the patient was in a vegetative state for week before she finally died. Would a transplant committee really sign off on giving a liver to someone in this state, even if the insurance company signed off on it. This entire situation seems to be playing off the notion that since the kid died, it must be the evil insurance company's fault. As much as I dislike the insurance industry, the family looks to be setting things up for a nice civil suit that will get settled quickly due to the bad press.

clownfood on
    photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546