As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Installing aftermarket memory heatsink

JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I just bought a pair of Thermaltake SpiritRS memory heatsinks, and I'm hung up on the bad instructions they give for installation.

It includes thermal paste for the copper tube that dissipates the heat to the heatsink, but also comes with these thermal tape strips that it says I'm supposed to put on the memory. Am I really supposed to tape it directly to the memory, or paste it to the heatsink clamps that get tightened around the memory module?

Anyone know for sure? Don't want to frag the memory before it even gets used ;)

JediNight on

• Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You tape the heatsink sides to the memory directly. Use the paste on the part of the heatsink sides that comes into contact with the pipe.

Edit: The most important thing to remember is to line things up properly so that the heatsink sides don't stick out on either side of the RAM, or you may have a bitch of a time trying to seat it properly in the board.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?