As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Once. 98% on Rotten Tomatoes. Glen Hansard sings the blues.

Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Once.

photo02yk0.jpg

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/once/

It is currently sitting with a 98% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, which is incredible.

It's on their top list for 2007 as well

Even A O Scott is calling it amazing, and that dude hates everything.

I watched it last night and the music was awesome, after the movie was over I went back and watched every song second time. The lead guy in the movie is from an Irish rock band called The Frames, which explains how he sings so well. The movie is a musical in that they two people write songs and then sing them, its not like Moulin Rouge or Mame where people just break out into song for no reason. The non song bits told a very basic story of a guy and a girl who meet.

For some reason I was not as blown away at all, the music I loved but I was very ambivalent with the rest of it. I didn't hate it, I was interested the whole time and the end did bring out a bit of emotion, but I wasn't blown away by the finest piece of cinema I have ever seen.

I do want the soundtrack now though.

Rated R for language only, one of the worst R ratings ever. Restricted to 18+ because of a bunch of 'fucks' spoken like the Irish do.

Clipboard03.jpg
I KISS YOU!
Lord Jezo on

• Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm glad someone else has had this movie come up on their radar. I saw it a couple of months ago, and I loved it, but it was only showing at the local independent cinema, which was an outrage.

Thoroughly deserving of its Rotten Tomatoes rating, if you ask me. I'm waiting for the DVD to come out over here, and I have already bought the soundtrack.

area on
  • Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I wasn't supposed to spend anymore money on stuff! I hate you!

Underdog on
  • Options
    SyphilisaurusSyphilisaurus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I just watched it the other night and was not as impressed as I was hoping to be. Maybe I wasn't in the right state of mind, though. To its credit, the ending did pack a bit of a punch, and the music was pretty great.

Syphilisaurus on
    adsigcopy4kn.png
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    A O Scott hates everything? That's a new one.

That said, I have heard many good things about this. Unfortunately, it never came out in a theater in my area.

setrajonas on
  • Options
    thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I saw it a few months ago and I thought it was decent, but it didn't blow me away. The music was good, of course, and I liked the recording studio scenes because I've always found that interesting, but overall the story felt hampered by its low budget. I think people should see it, especially if they like music, but I wouldn't call it my favorite of the year.

thanimations on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've got this sitting at home. I need to watch it.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png