As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

car trouble

JermJerm Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys, I don't know much about cars and I have a situation.

I have a 96 lexus ls400, not sure how old the battery is but i think it's less than 2 years. The past two nights at work I've needed a jump to start my car, the car started fine both mornings but at night both times it was dead. Tonight the headlights were very dim so i take that to be a sign that the battery is dying? This happened occasionally before maybe two or three times and I would just jump it on be on my way. Now though with two nights in a row I'm concerned that the battery may be failing.

Anyways I've got a graveyard shift tomorrow and a flight to catch soon after and I'm hoping to use my car. Does anyone know what this is? Is it just a dead battery? If so, approximate cost and time?

thanks in advance

Jerm on

• ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If its a dead battery, no more than 100 bucks.

Could also be the alternator, or a mystery electrical problem, something shorted thats draining the battery. For a lexus, id say probably 400+ installation unless you can do it yourself. If its an electrical problem, diagnosis is by the hour, so probably in the same range (400 bucks).

Autozone will test the battery and the alternator for free.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • MrBallbagginsMrBallbaggins Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If it's an electrical drain as Zeon suggested, you can test it by removing the positive battery cable from the battery, and then touching it to the post. If it sparks, then you've got a drain. If not, it's likely just the battery or alternator.

If it is a battery drain, you can get a disconnect from Wal-Mart for something like 2.96, to where all you have to do is twist a knob to disconnect your battery. It's a pain in the ass to do it every time you go somewhere, but a very cheap fix.

MrBallbaggins on