As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hitman trailer totally screwed over the movie...

marz_1982marz_1982 Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Is it me, or did the trailer seem based on a completely different movie? We went to see it, expecting another Bloodrayne abortion, and were pleasantly surprised when it wasn't actually that bad.

For example:
The trailer hinted at strong involvement with the church.
The only thing the church was involved in, was the location for the final showdown. WTF - protected by divinity??

The trailer hinted at some love scenes, pfft
I killed myself laughing... When the girl came on to him, he happily stuck a tranquiliser into her neck, got up and brushed himself off. Hahaha

Your thoughts on the movie? On the actor?

marz_1982 on

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's an alright movie. For a video game movie it's fantastic.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Was he actually an assassin or did he just go around with dual machine guns like your standard action movie hero?

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    He was actually an assassin. There was one major gunfight, the rest was of the violence was very.. precise.

Detharin on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    did he play dress up with everyone in the movie just to see what their clothes would look like on him?

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    AlephAleph Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I thought it was pretty bad. Timothy Olyphant's talent is completely put to waste as 47. Still beter than most videogame adaptations though.

Aleph on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I was expecting a truly terrible film, something that could be enjoyed for all the wrong reasons, ala Doom. I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't a fantastic film by any means, but overall pretty competent. I didn't think the cast was particularly stellar. He did dress up a couple of times, and was generally pretty Hitmanesque, so I'd call it a win.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The trailers really did screw over the film. I *almost* didn't go to see it, but I did and it was a pretty decent movie. (Especially considering all the other video games -> movie conversions)

Had some bad bits, had some good bits. I enjoyed it and that's all that matters in the end.

And the part about his origin:
    Were they just kids trained to be assassins instead of clones? I just got that impression.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2007
    See this guy here?

That's David Bateman. He does 47's voice in the games. He even looks the part for the movie. But nooo...

Echo on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I also thought the movie was pretty bad. By that I mean just horrible acting and horrible writing. Like others have said though, for a video game movie, it could have been a lot worse.

But yeah, I actually thought the trailers made the movie look better than it was.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Echo wrote: »
    See this guy here?

That's David Bateman. He does 47's voice in the games. He even looks the part for the movie. But nooo...

Damn, wish they had cast him instead, Olyphant is just way too young. Jason Statham (Transporter) would've made a nice hitman as well, but he's maybe a bit too pretty. >.>

Agreed that it's one of the best game->movie conversions, and was actually quite fun to watch.

marz_1982 on
  • Options
    AlephAleph Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Olyphant is 39.

Aleph on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2007
    Aleph wrote: »
    Olyphant is 39.

He looks pretty baby-faced in the trailer.

Echo on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So when faced with the general consensus in this thread (it's a decent movie), compared with the 13% RottenTomatoes score, who do I believe?

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So when faced with the general consensus in this thread (it's a decent movie), compared with the 13% RottenTomatoes score, who do I believe?

Rotten Tomatoes, gamers are giving it a pass because it isn't Uwe Boll quality.

yakul on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Rotten Tomatoes gave Beowulf a 73% when I looked to compare it to Hitman. Beowulf is the worst movie that myself or any of my friends have seen this year. Spider-Man 3 beats it on a technicality (that it had Spider-Man 1 and 2 before it building up expectations).

devoir on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Beowulf was better than a 73%, if you ask me, and Hitman was absolutely terrible. There were so many stupid things in the movie that I lost count, but here, I'll try:
    The Organization is so secret that nobody knows they exist, but they have contacts in every government? What does that even mean? How does anyone hire them if nobody knows who they are?

The evil plan was never ennumerated. They introduced a detailed science fiction reconstructive surgery double plot hook and then never explained who the "president" really was or why him being in power was bad, aside from the mere fact that he was a hardliner.

They never explained why the Organization sold 47 out, given that it was an obvious setup and he was one of their best agents.

The assassins sent to kill 47 attacked... eachother. Just because the director wanted an artistic Resevior Dogs-style standoff. How do assassins that stupid survive training?

They didn't bother editing all of the footage they took directly from Dark Angel the TV series (yes, it's confirmed in the credits). In the flashbacks many of the children had their bar code tattoos on the back of their necks, rather than the back of their heads, as the Organization agents do. Very, very lazy.

The entire bit in the church at the end was never explained, either. Was the Organization complicit in the scheme? Why? What did it gain them? Why did 47 have a key that unlocked the secret room in some Eastern Orthodox church with his stuff when he was on a mission to simply kill the Russian president?

Quite honestly, I was hoping to see the movie the trailer suggested, because that's the hook of the game: assassin for the Vatican genetically engineered to be a killing machine. But they used a script that might as well have been rejected by Doug Limon when doing a Bourne Identity movie.

The one thing I liked about the movie was the cute little Russian prostitute, and even she was essentially only there to walk around naked (which is fine by me...). She had absolutely nothing interesting to do or contribute except be some foul-mouthed eye candy that 47 has to protect. If they were planning on killing her in the first place, why set her up as a witness?

I got the impression that they left a pretty good movie on the cutting room floor, but what I saw was a wasted effort.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    BomanTheBearBomanTheBear Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Beowulf was better than a 73%, if you ask me, and Hitman was absolutely terrible. There were so many stupid things in the movie that I lost count, but here, I'll try:
    The Organization is so secret that nobody knows they exist, but they have contacts in every government? What does that even mean? How does anyone hire them if nobody knows who they are?

The evil plan was never ennumerated. They introduced a detailed science fiction reconstructive surgery double plot hook and then never explained who the "president" really was or why him being in power was bad, aside from the mere fact that he was a hardliner.

They never explained why the Organization sold 47 out, given that it was an obvious setup and he was one of their best agents.

The assassins sent to kill 47 attacked... eachother. Just because the director wanted an artistic Resevior Dogs-style standoff. How do assassins that stupid survive training?

They didn't bother editing all of the footage they took directly from Dark Angel the TV series (yes, it's confirmed in the credits). In the flashbacks many of the children had their bar code tattoos on the back of their necks, rather than the back of their heads, as the Organization agents do. Very, very lazy.

The entire bit in the church at the end was never explained, either. Was the Organization complicit in the scheme? Why? What did it gain them? Why did 47 have a key that unlocked the secret room in some Eastern Orthodox church with his stuff when he was on a mission to simply kill the Russian president?

Quite honestly, I was hoping to see the movie the trailer suggested, because that's the hook of the game: assassin for the Vatican genetically engineered to be a killing machine. But they used a script that might as well have been rejected by Doug Limon when doing a Bourne Identity movie.

The one thing I liked about the movie was the cute little Russian prostitute, and even she was essentially only there to walk around naked (which is fine by me...). She had absolutely nothing interesting to do or contribute except be some foul-mouthed eye candy that 47 has to protect. If they were planning on killing her in the first place, why set her up as a witness?

I got the impression that they left a pretty good movie on the cutting room floor, but what I saw was a wasted effort.
    Haha, that spoiler is hardly a spoiler at all, in fact, it's a time-saver. Now I don't have to go watch the movie to figure out what's wrong with it.

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Haha, that spoiler is hardly a spoiler at all, in fact, it's a time-saver. Now I don't have to go watch the movie to figure out what's wrong with it.

Glad to be of service. /bow

You're probably just better off downloading screenshots of Olga Kurylenko's nude scenes. Olga was, sadly, the only redeeming quality of the film.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    BomanTheBearBomanTheBear Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Dude, you are just full of helpful suggestions.

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ChurchChurch Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Mortious wrote: »
    The trailers really did screw over the film. I *almost* didn't go to see it, but I did and it was a pretty decent movie. (Especially considering all the other video games -> movie conversions)

Had some bad bits, had some good bits. I enjoyed it and that's all that matters in the end.

And the part about his origin:
    Were they just kids trained to be assassins instead of clones? I just got that impression.
    Despite popular belief, clones have to be born just like everyone else, and 47 is no exception. I don't think anything about his childhood is mentioned in the games, but I imagine that that's exactly what it would have been like, so the answer is both.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I actually rather enjoyed the movie. Olyphant is a good actor in my book, based on his other movies and was great in A Girl Next Door. Based off the game, it is a considered a good if not great game movie.

precisionk on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Beowulf was better than a 73%, if you ask me, and Hitman was absolutely terrible.

Just for the record, RT is not out of 100%. It's a thumbs up/thumbs down system. 73% means 73% of reviewers recommend it, which is not a bad review at all really.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Adrien wrote: »
    Beowulf was better than a 73%, if you ask me, and Hitman was absolutely terrible.

Just for the record, RT is not out of 100%. It's a thumbs up/thumbs down system. 73% means 73% of reviewers recommend it, which is not a bad review at all really.

Oh, well that is really good, then.

Thing about Beowulf is that they took some controvercial choices that are bound to turn off some viewers, and my cousin told me on Christmas that he wasn't interested when he found out it was animated (which... I don't get at all, and the fact that he didn't even know until later that it was animated was pretty telling that it's not your standard animated feature). So it's expected that it will have strong, but not universal, appeal.

I learned something today about Rotten Tomatoes.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I enjoyed Hitman it was a decent shootem up style movie without a ton of jump cuts so you could actually follow the action. Olyphant was competent in the role and combined with his Die Hard 4 role I could see him getting similar action roles.

And Draco about one of your spoilers.
    The key that was in his stuff was sent to the interpool agent by 47, in the movie the guy claimed the russian guy sent the stuff as a farewell gift, but in reality it was 47, that's why he knew that the whole thing had been seet up. At least that's how I interpreted that after seeing the end of the movie

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Preacher wrote: »
    The key that was in his stuff was sent to the interpool agent by 47, in the movie the guy claimed the russian guy sent the stuff as a farewell gift, but in reality it was 47, that's why he knew that the whole thing had been seet up. At least that's how I interpreted that after seeing the end of the movie

That still doesn't make any sense.
    47 expected to have the guy assassinated when he went up to give the speech; did he even know about the special room in the heavily defended church? Why would he even go there? How did he expect the Interpol guy to save him, when the Interpol guy was constantly thwarted by the Russian government? The entire involvement with the church at the end was inexplicable. Unless 47 is like Ben Affleck in Paycheck and used a see-the-future machine to know what was going to happen. "Okay, I need to send the key to this guy, and make sure there's some sort of method of surviving a machine gun assault of a Russian gunship helecopter in this little room, and cut the gas line on the chopper so it immediately goes away afterwards..."

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

That still doesn't make any sense.
    47 expected to have the guy assassinated when he went up to give the speech; did he even know about the special room in the heavily defended church? Why would he even go there? How did he expect the Interpol guy to save him, when the Interpol guy was constantly thwarted by the Russian government? The entire involvement with the church at the end was inexplicable. Unless 47 is like Ben Affleck in Paycheck and used a see-the-future machine to know what was going to happen. "Okay, I need to send the key to this guy, and make sure there's some sort of method of surviving a machine gun assault of a Russian gunship helecopter in this little room, and cut the gas line on the chopper so it immediately goes away afterwards..."

You're hung up on thinking that the case was the same one from the hotel room, it wasn't, the russian guy didn't send it along, the hitman did before he made his trip down to kill the politicians brother, which is why he talked to the cia guy to set up his extraction, that was the favor he was asking for

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2007

You're hung up on thinking that the case was the same one from the hotel room, it wasn't, the russian guy didn't send it along, the hitman did before he made his trip down to kill the politicians brother, which is why he talked to the cia guy to set up his extraction, that was the favor he was asking for

Alright...
    That doesn't change the fact that it would take incredible levels of foresight to know that the Interpol guy would put it together and somehow get to him... before the Russian military killed him. Why they didn't just rocket the stupid room I don't know.

The favor he should have asked the CIA for was an escape route from the church. Using the Interpol guy was just stupid and makes 47 into Nostradamus.

Regardless of this one plot point, the rest of the points I made stand. The movie was either an exercise in lazy filmmaking or outright terrible editing... probably both.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Echo wrote: »
    See this guy here?

THE DUDE IS EVEN 47 YEARS OLD.

seriously though, How did they drop the ball on that?

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Muhahaha, thanks for that. I must've watched the movie with my brain switched off to have missed half of that (Blame it on the end of the year, and looking forward to the holidays!).

Regarding one of your points...
    Which scenes were taken from Dark Angel?

marz_1982 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    marz_1982 wrote: »

Regarding one of your points...
    Which scenes were taken from Dark Angel?
    The bit showing him as a kid in Catholic Murder School. All the bald children with bar codes on their... necks...

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    Willeh DeeWilleh Dee Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hitman was absolutely terrible. There were so many stupid things in the movie that I lost count, but here, I'll try:

You just said everything I wanted to, the movie was pretty retarded, almost so much so it was unenjoyable.

Willeh Dee on