As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer Security

langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Why doesn't computer security have more of an academic presence? It's very easy to find wild conjecture discussing computer security and its importance to the corporate world. If it's so damn important why aren't there more legitimate courses of study centered around it?

Perhaps it is more of a trade skill? Or an esoteric realm of knowledge only meant for the chosen few (they still call me Bruce Schneier?)

Please. Discuss.

langfor6 on

• Options
    BomanTheBearBomanTheBear Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's like the technological version of the NBA. If you're good, the right people hear about you, find you, and employ you for retarded amounts of money. One of my 20 year old friends just got hired by Viacom for $550,000 starting pay. Naturally, he dropped out of college.

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    I thought it was mostly rolled into CompSci programs. I know I've seen professors from here and there bloviating on the topic before.

but yeah, its a murky world, and people who show aptitude for it tend to get headhunted and given in-house training wherever they end up.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Because information security (I'm not using the term computer security because computer security is a very small part of information security) is still wrongly viewed as product-based, rather than process-based. People, especially those at the top of organizations and corporations, think they'll just buy the latest off-the-shelf program and install it on their systems and voila! their systems are secure.

Yeah, it doesn't exactly work that way.

The good news is that corporations are starting to realize this, and they are starting to pay more attention and budget to information security (mostly thanks to Sarbanex-Oxley and similar coporate executive liability laws). Everyday they spend more and more money on developing and implementing policies, procedures and guidelines to protect their information assets. As a result, the need for people who understand that kind of stuff is increasing.

Within the next 5 years you'll be seeing a lot more education programs that focus solely on information security. The Information School at my university is developing a Master's program on it, for example. I'm sure many other higher education institutions are as well.

P.S. Your friend is either a genius or the company that hired him is run by idiots and will soon go bankrupt. $550,000 is an insane amount, and I cannot think of many cases where it can be justified for a 20 year old.

ege02 on
  • Options
    SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    ege02 wrote: »
    P.S. Your friend is either a genius or the company that hired him is run by idiots and will soon go bankrupt. $550,000 is an insane amount, and I cannot think of many cases where it can be justified for a 20 year old.

Perhaps he can use his superpowers to keep out hackers using only his mind... or that guy is totally full of bullshit.

Snarfmaster on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    He's pretty brilliant. I neglected to mention that he cracked Viacom's servers "because he could," and if you have a torrent of anything that's ever leaked from the company, it's probably because of him. Last semester, he got caught, and they said instead of prosecuting, he could work for them. For 550k. So now his job is closing the holes he himself opened. Perhaps all of that is extenuating circumstances and most programmers aren't that lucky.

On the downside, he's a bit of a pompous cock who sucks at conversation and is pretty much worse at everything else. But that's not what companies hire programmers for, right?

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

On the downside, he's a bit of a pompous cock who sucks at conversation and is pretty much worse at everything else. But that's not what companies hire programmers for, right?

He could hire me to be his conversation tank. I'd only take a modest percentage...

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    friend of mine got his masters in security, from a university down here. The another, which I attended seemed to offer a similar degree, IIRC. both are accredited and everything.

here is a link to MIT's Online Courseware for their undergraduate security class.

organized stuff is out there, but probably more in the form of certificates(sun, cisco, microsoft certified whatever).

It's kinda a moving target and changes a fair bit so it kinda makes formal education a bit weak. my impression from reading a few white hat blogs, most folks who purport hired into the field, have general CS degree and focused on security cause it is what they were interested in and managed to convince someone to hire them for.

I'd have a fairly hard time believing someone who told be they made $550k a year from a company they ripped off. If it was someone I only knew online, I'd pretty much just consider them full of shit. If it was someone I knew IRL, i'd expect evidence in the form of sports cars, mind blowing computer hardware and pimp living arrangements. A collage student? unless there was visible evidence otherwise, I'd pretty much assume had a breakdown and was actually living out of a box somewhere, and wasn't willing to tell me the truth. meh, I know folks who are in computers and make in the range of $100k without degrees, so I guess it's not impossible.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    It's like the technological version of the NBA. If you're good, the right people hear about you, find you, and employ you for retarded amounts of money. One of my 20 year old friends just got hired by Viacom for $550,000 starting pay. Naturally, he dropped out of college.

Yep. With the right knowledge, certifications and networking you can basically demand your own pay and people will pay it. Especially in corporate environments where trade secrets are so important.

Satan. on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've heard so many of the "I knew a guy who hacked into some company's servers and instead of suing the shit out of them, they hired him" stories over the years and every single one of them has turned out to be bullshit.

Now it's entirely possible that Boman's story is the one example of the archetype that isn't complete BS, but he might as well telling us "dude, I know this guy who can bend spoons with his mind." I know where the safe bet lies.

This is especially true considering that most "hacking" is just social engineering, and learning that robs black hatting of a lot of its mystique. It's like seeing the trapdoor behind the magician's trick; the answer to the question "how did he do that" turns out to be so simple that you feel stupid for not figuring it out at first glance. "So you just called people in our corporate directory on the phone posing as company IT support until you found somebody stupid enough to give you their password?" When you discover that you don't pay the guy $Texas to shore up your network, you spend 5 seconds and send an email to the whole company saying (albeit in a slightly more professional tone), "Hey, stupid fuckers. Don't give out information to people you don't know cold-calling you out of the blue, k?"

Because ege is totally right. It's not computer security, it's information security. The part that involves plugging holes in technology you learn as part of your basic networking certification or by attending the occasional Microsoft/Cisco/Oracle/whateverflavoryourcompanylikes/etc trade show. You install patches on your products, wrap inherently insecure technologies (like Windows file sharing) up in VPNs or SSL encryption, enforce strong password policies, keeps your antimalware software up-to-date, deploy a good asset management tool, and run the occasional portscan or password breaker. There, you've taken care of your tech. That's step one, and any systems monkey can do it. Step two involves making sure your people give the right information to the right people, don't give the wrong information to the wrong people, that your people only have access to enough information to do their job at any given time so if a leak occurs the leak is contained, and if a leak occurs the right people know about it as soon as possible. That involves having good processes in place and making sure people know their roles. This happens at a much higher level than just the tech, and requires cooperation from people at every level of corporate management from HR up to the CEO, because as the classic T-shirt that you see on every third geek at Defcon says, "there's no patch for human stupidity."

And I'm sorry, but the only way a 20-year-old could do that part of the job well is if he'd been working in the corporate world since the age of 10. It's not an age thing, it's an experience thing. You can't learn it from a textbook or from late caffeine-fueled nights on your Linux box. You can only learn it by interacting with people and seeing how things work in the corporate environment.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    As far as the tech side goes, my friends take CS classes on it. I wasn't aware there was a shortage.

And yeah, hyper-secure tech doesn't help much when your people don't use secure practices.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    I've heard so many of the "I knew a guy who hacked into some company's servers and instead of suing the shit out of them, they hired him" stories over the years and every single one of them has turned out to be bullshit.

Another reason I found it hard to believe was that it's a federal crime nowadays to hack into private systems.

It doesn't make sense. Think about it: the kid doesn't have much of a choice anyway, so why would they pay him so much? The company clearly has tremendous bargaining power, so it would make more sense for them to employ him with as minimum a salary as possible, because his other choice is getting sued and jailed.

ege02 on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    MrMister wrote: »
    And yeah, hyper-secure tech doesn't help much when your people don't use secure practices.

The UK government is aptly demonstrating this at the moment, what with losing the personal data of several million people and all that jazz.

Burnage on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    As far as the tech side goes, my friends take CS classes on it. I wasn't aware there was a shortage.

It's one arm of things. Your people can practice secure procedures but if you don't have the tech, it would fall apart anyway. Each requires the other to function optimally.

Satan. on
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

With a field as important as it is, and with as much depth as there is, I was curious as to why there aren't an abundance of entire curricula. I took a few psychology classes when I was in school but I'm not qualified to cure your schadenfreude.

I understand the human element, but surely there still exists a need and/or a desire to obtain that in-depth technical knowledge.

This may just be an exposure of personal character weakness here. I've always preferred a formalized plan of study to learning on my own (ie night after night in my basement on my linux box). I'm always afraid that there will be gaps in my learning, and this doesn't just apply to this particular subject.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The other thing (in reference to secure practices) is that IT has to be user friendly when requiring people to use secure practices. Just about everyone I know immediately turned off the Windows Vista user authentication thing because it popped up at almost every single basic function of the computer.

So while it may implement a way to be secure both technically and in practice, because it's such a pain everyone disables it after a while (topical example - the other is not using an SSH client or whatever and just working outside a secure environment because it's easier).

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    langfor6 wrote: »
    I understand the human element, but surely there still exists a need and/or a desire to obtain that in-depth technical knowledge.

It's available, if not through academic sources. Every week my mailbox at work gets filled with junk mail from places like Global Knowledge, Microsoft Learning, etc. wanting to give me crash courses in Windows network security.

Perhaps it's too much of a tradeskill, maybe it's too technology-specific, I dunno.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    langfor6 wrote: »

It's available, if not through academic sources. Every week my mailbox at work gets filled with junk mail from places like Global Knowledge, Microsoft Learning, etc. wanting to give me crash courses in Windows network security.

Perhaps it's too much of a tradeskill, maybe it's too technology-specific, I dunno.

One problem is that by the time the person completes the coursework, what they learned is already obsolete.

ege02 on
  • Options
    theparttimetheparttime Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    there is an undergrad class on comp security at my university.

didn't take it because it didn't fit into my sched and supposedly wasn't one of the easier cs classes.

theparttime on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007

I'm calling complete bullshit on this one. There's no way any major company like Viacom would pay an unproven asset $550,000 a year, especially one that is only 20 years old.

As far as an academic presence for Computer Security, there is a rather sizable one. Cryptology, intrusion detection systems, etc. all have a pretty good following in the fields of Computer Science.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

I'm calling complete bullshit on this one. There's no way any major company like Viacom would pay an unproven asset $550,000 a year, especially one that is only 20 years old.

There might be more to it than we know. I can think of a couple of edge cases; for instance, if he hacked into their systems and discovered that they have been involved in legally questionable practices, and threatened to disclose them to the authorities when they said they were going to sue him... something like that may justify that kind of salary.

But that's like a one in a billion probability.

Aside from that, it's simply unheard of for a 20 year old -- who doesn't even have a college degree -- to have an executive-level salary.

ege02 on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, unless Boman's friend is at some sort of Will Hunting level of genius at what he does, it's a difficult scenario to buy into.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Anecdote: The only time I've heard of that kind of offer in real life was when the FBI got a guy to fly from Russia to the US on the pretense of being hired for a job so that they could arrest him the moment he landed on US soil. It was related to the surge in managed botnet services.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Hey, call bullshit all you want, but this stuff is exactly what he told me, and he's been stealing shit off their servers for years. As for the pay, he could completely be lying, but he got hired at the end of September, dropped out of school four days later, and bought himself a new Mercedes. And (I haven't talked to him in a couple months) I think he's not in jail. So if someone's lying, it's him, because this is exactly what he told me.

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    He's selling drugs.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I doubt it, the kid's scared of substances (including nyquil). Although knowing him, that would be hilarious if that were the case. No one would suspect it.

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Hey, call bullshit all you want, but this stuff is exactly what he told me, and he's been stealing shit off their servers for years. As for the pay, he could completely be lying, but he got hired at the end of September, dropped out of school four days later, and bought himself a new Mercedes. And (I haven't talked to him in a couple months) I think he's not in jail. So if someone's lying, it's him, because this is exactly what he told me.

Your friend is bullshitting you so hard then. Sorry to say.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Yeah, unless Boman's friend is at some sort of Will Hunting level of genius at what he does, it's a difficult scenario to buy into.

Even if he was a Will Hunting level of genius, they wouldn't give him that much. Again, it all goes back to being an untested asset. Ultimately, at any big company, HR would be in ultimate control of the salary and they would say "no fucking way" to that kind of salary and they wouldn't even care if he was the smartest man in the world.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    Anecdote: The only time I've heard of that kind of offer in real life was when the FBI got a guy to fly from Russia to the US on the pretense of being hired for a job so that they could arrest him the moment he landed on US soil. It was related to the surge in managed botnet services.

This happened with a German hacker and the Half-Life 2 source code being stolen. Gabe Newell told the hacker that he would hire him to improve security and then arrested him as soon as he landed in America.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    You may be right. He probably doesn't get paid nearly that much, and was just showing off. Regardless, they must be giving him alot. The point I was trying to make is that if you're good at security you'll get picked up like he did.

By the way, excellent signature.

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You may be right. He probably doesn't get paid nearly that much, and was just showing off. Regardless, they must be giving him alot. The point I was trying to make is that if you're good at security you'll get picked up like he did.

Dropping out of college and showing up in a new car is not proof of anything. Even a dishwasher can lease a lexus.

Snarfmaster on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Dropping out of college and showing up in a new car is not proof of anything. Even a dishwasher can lease a lexus.

Yeah, but not really. "So you'll be contributing... 45% of your monthly income to this car payment alone?" is usually followed by laughs and laughs and laughs. Not saying this guy is right (seriously, the back-and-forth on that subject is getting old already) but there is no reason for the hyperbole.

Satan. on