As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TF2 - OS Paged Pool Memory Please Go Screw Yourself!

SparrowSparrow Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
So after hearing everybody rave about it for so long I finally kicked myself in gear and got around to buying Team Fortress Two. So just as I'm enjoying racking up the kills as a engineer (Seriously, a class thats based around camping? awesome.) I notice these nice little red letters across the top of my screen, shortly after the game crashes and gives me the wonderful "OS Paged Pool Memory Low" message.

Now I'm not a tech savvy person and I have no idea what this error message means but a quick search on google tells me to end all non-essential programs and background applications. Which I do, excluding the Firewall and security features (Im not that computer illiterate) and proceed to re-boot the game. This time it runs for about twenty mins. or so before the same thing happens.

Can anyone here help me out?

What is OS Paged Pool Memory?
and,
Is there a safe way to increase it?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sparrow on

• Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Did you change your boot.ini file to include the /3GB switch? I did that and this error popped up and eventually crashed TF2. Every time. Make sure you are not using that switch.

Shens on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Unless it automatically does this via an update or something, no. I haven't touched anything.

Sparrow on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I don't know if this is any help but Steam support has a page on this.

xraydog on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    As xray's link says, if you're using AVG or some other antivirus products that usually causes the paged memory error. It's not enough to turn them off; unfortunately you have to uninstall them. I ended up switching to Avast! and haven't had a problem with steam since.

Smasher on
  • Options
    xtaxta Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    i just ran into some "CULinkedList" overflow error with tf2

xta on
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    xta wrote: »
    i just ran into some "CULinkedList" overflow error with tf2

its been doing that since the last update.

Shade on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    xraydog wrote: »
    I don't know if this is any help but Steam support has a page on this.

Ah, thanks for the link. Looks like its my anti-virus, thats going to be a fun one to fix...

Sparrow on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I have RAM to spare, so I just increased my PPM to something awful.

Mortal Sky on