As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New "Dune" movie on the works, Peter Berg directs

• Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Can Wincott do any other voice than "evil badass"? :P (Can't really remember him from A:R, only from The Crow.)

I think a little more "gruff" Leto would be interesting. Not Wilford Brimley gruff though.

Wilford Brimley for Thufir Hawat! He could milk his cat for insulin to keep his diabeetis in check.

All I can imagine is him yelling at Paul "Eat your goddam oatmeal!!"

"Never sit with your back to the door! The sounds my mustache makes could be imitated!"

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2007
    I like the guy they had for Stilgar in the miniseries.

Echo on
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Willem Dafoe would do a good Yueh.

And I always kinda thought of Gourney Halleck as an R. Lee Ermey kinda guy.

but this is why I don't cast movies for a living. :P

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Can Wincott do any other voice than "evil badass"? :P (Can't really remember him from A:R, only from The Crow.)

I think a little more "gruff" Leto would be interesting. Not Wilford Brimley gruff though.

Wilford Brimley for Thufir Hawat! He could milk his cat for insulin to keep his diabeetis in check.

All I can imagine is him yelling at Paul "Eat your goddam oatmeal!!"

"Never sit with your back to the door! The sounds my mustache makes could be imitated!"

I'm at a loss, is there some sort of word play we can do that combines Brimley's "beetis" gag with something in Dune?

If you don't know what I'm talking about. see:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pod4jIKT_kA&feature=related

VoodooV on
  • Options
    Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Playing 'Perfect Cast' is old. Playing 'Nightmare Cast' is all the rage.

Paul: Hayden Christensen

Chani: Lindsay Lohan

Duke Leto: Tom Hanks

Lady Jessica: Jennifer Lopez

Feyd: Stiffler from American Pie

Piter: Screech from Saved By The Bell

Baron Harkonnen: James Gandolfini (or exhume Marlon Brando and put him on strings)

Gurney Hallack: Hugh Grant

Thufir Hawatt: Charlie Sheen

Stilgar: Tom Hanks (with beard + blue eyes)

Emperor: David Hasselhoff

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    BrynjBrynj Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Playing 'Perfect Cast' is old. Playing 'Nightmare Cast' is all the rage.

Paul: Hayden Christensen

Chani: Lindsay Lohan

Duke Leto: Tom Hanks

Lady Jessica: Jennifer Lopez

Feyd: Stiffler from American Pie

Piter: Screech from Saved By The Bell

Baron Harkonnen: James Gandolfini (or exhume Marlon Brando and put him on strings)

Gurney Hallack: Hugh Grant

Thufir Hawatt: Charlie Sheen

Stilgar: Tom Hanks (with beard + blue eyes)

Emperor: David Hasselhoff

Screenwriter: George Lucas

Paul and Jessica scramble off the sand and up the rocks, away from the approaching worm.

PAUL: You cannot win! I have the high ground!

WORM: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Brynj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2008

NARRATOR: Look, it's raining. How is this possible? For he is the Shwizatz Haderach!

EMPEROR: HAX!

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    remind me again why they can't make a movie 5 hours long? I think it would be worth it in this case.

Shade on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Shade wrote: »
    remind me again why they can't make a movie 5 hours long? I think it would be worth it in this case.
    Sitting for more than two and a half hours causes irreversible arse damage.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Shade wrote: »

people have to watch it.

anyway, this shouldn't be just a visualisation of every page like you want - it should be an interpretation else there's no value in it except for fanboy fodder.

Paul!!!

y0bjgnxs.jpg

haha, I can just imagine the nerd rage

Perdurabo on
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My love for the original Dune novel began when I had to read it in high school. Take that, nerds who didn't want to read The Great Gatsby! I've never picked up the sequels Herbert or the "sequels" by *shudder* Kevin J. Anderson...

Yeah I liked the Sci-fi mini series of Dune and the other mini-series that covered the second and third books in the series. So while this movie may suck, at least I can enjoy the David Lynch-weird-awesomeness of the original and the excellent acting of the mini-series.

And you know what? Patrick Stewart better be in this version, any big or small part really. 'Cause he's awesome!

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    My love for the original Dune novel began when I had to read it in high school. Take that, nerds who didn't want to read The Great Gatsby! I've never picked up the sequels Herbert or the "sequels" by *shudder* Kevin J. Anderson...

Yeah I liked the Sci-fi mini series of Dune and the other mini-series that covered the second and third books in the series. So while this movie may suck, at least I can enjoy the David Lynch-weird-awesomeness of the original and the excellent acting of the mini-series.

And you know what? Patrick Stewart better be in this version, any big or small part really. 'Cause he's awesome!

Even if its the part of one of those water seller chicks?

VoodooV on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Even if they do this movie somewhat well (like the miniseries), its still going to be way too long. There is simply too much stuff going on in Dune to put it into a single movie, I dont see any way of pulling it off in under 3 hours.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    KaimetsuKaimetsu __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Even if Patrick Stewart doesnt play Gurney Halleck again he should still be in this someplace and he should call Paul "young pup" at least once just because.

Kaimetsu on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Kyle MacLachlan is old enough to play Duke Leto by now...that could be interesting.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Patrick Stewart should fly in with the Enterprise at the last moment, try to negotiate a compromise & FairTrade spice for everyone, opine a bit about how conflict is bad, and that marrying off the Princess as part of the deal is terribly uncivilised and humanity is beyond that in the 90's.

And then the massed fleets of Sardukaar should blow them out of the sky for being pussies.

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    man... this thread has brought back the awesome from the original movie.

Awesome being patrick stewart & sting.. not the vasiline on the camera lenses.

Although I could see 'stiffler' shouting I WILL KILL HIM!

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    As long as they don't make it fucking rain on Arakis again, I'm down.

Meiz on
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Patrick Stewart should fly in with the Enterprise at the last moment, try to negotiate a compromise & FairTrade spice for everyone, opine a bit about how conflict is bad, and that marrying off the Princess as part of the deal is terribly uncivilised and humanity is beyond that in the 90's.

And then the massed fleets of Sardukaar should blow them out of the sky for being pussies.

Sardaukar don't have fleets, silly.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Also I don't know if any of you watch The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, but the beauty contest episode has a Gom Jabbar reference which just about made me do a spit take.

It also had an entire episode that basically parodied God-Emperor of Dune, which was glorious.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Sardaukar don't have fleets, silly.

They did in the Lynch filum, I forget whether they were in the book. If they don't, they should do. And they should vaporise the Enterprise. In a suitably ultra-violent and imperialistic manner.

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    One of my favorite part about the books was that they had shields and lasers, but God help you if you used them against each other.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2008
    I'm excitedly waiting for "Dune, Where's My Car"

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    DickerdoodleDickerdoodle Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    thorpe wrote: »
    Also I don't know if any of you watch The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, but the beauty contest episode has a Gom Jabbar reference which just about made me do a spit take.

It also had an entire episode that basically parodied God-Emperor of Dune, which was glorious.

Damn I missed that one! Have to go check it out.

Re:Fleets
    I believe those were all Guild ships. The Emperor and everyone else kisses their ass. I don't know how they would fare in a space battle against Star Trek tech though they certainly seem more limited. You'd have to get Sardaukar ON to the Enterprise. And then see how those half body shields fare against phasers.

Dickerdoodle on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Practicalities, practicalities. Sardukaar would comprehensively rape their eye-sockets. Everyone (even Trekkies) knows that Star Trek types would die horribly in any collision with another storyline that didn't hand out deux ex machina like candy.

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    WillemWillem Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If the combined awesome of Sting's Feyd and Patrick Stewart's Gurney Halleck can't save a Dune film... then what hope have the younger generation?:!!:

Willem on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    They have Hayden Christensen. He is the Chosen One!

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    GlorfindelGlorfindel Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    thorpe wrote: »

Damn I missed that one! Have to go check it out.

I believe those were all Guild ships. The Emperor and everyone else kisses their ass. I don't know how they would fare in a space battle against Star Trek tech though they certainly seem more limited. You'd have to get Sardaukar ON to the Enterprise. And then see how those half body shields fare against phasers.

The Guild may have transported the Saudaukar there, but Imperial warships could have been in the Heighliners.

Glorfindel on
  • Options
    WillemWillem Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

NARRATOR: Look, it's raining. How is this possible? For he is the Shwizatz Haderach!

EMPEROR: HAX!

Haha. When the Indiana Jones movies came out on DVD, my brother and I had a running joke exactly like what you just said. We'd "write" aloud our own Lucas screenplays from his perspective while watching one of his movies, but specifically it would include the "How is this possible?!" And "Incredible, Indy escapes! I can't believe it!"

Willem on
  • Options
    BrynjBrynj Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Practicalities, practicalities. Sardukaar would comprehensively rape their eye-sockets. Everyone (even Trekkies) knows that Star Trek types would die horribly in any collision with another storyline that didn't hand out deux ex machina like candy.

TITLE FIGHT

http://www.grudge-match.com/History/ds-enterprise.shtml

Brynj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Oh yeah?

Gandalf vs. The Millenium Falcon

GO GO GO

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    We don't need a new movie. We need another mini-series with the same people from Children of Dune (sequel, gimme)! I loved Children of Dune. More of that, please. :)

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    They should just give up. Dune is such an internal book that it will never make a good conversion to a video format.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »
    They should just give up. Dune is such an internal book that it will never make a good conversion to a video format.

.... except for the movie and the mini-series ?

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Well, the books after Children of Dune are were it really starts getting strange.

Echo on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well, the books after Children of Dune are were it really starts getting strange.
    I don't see a reason why someone would actually want to make a movie out of those books. I mean, there's some small stories within those books one could make a movie of, but the complete story? No way, Jose.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah. And Leto II in God Emperor feels more like a background figure with tons of smaller stories wrapped around him, and if you skip those stories, what is there left to make a movie from?

Echo on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    So very true. but still. I'd be curious to see Heretics and Chapterhouse on the screen.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    shutzshutz Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I never really got Patrick Stewart as Gurney Halleck in the Lynch version. And now, I actually think he could make a good Thufir Hawat. Or perhaps a good Emperor.

The guy who played Halleck in the miniseries was great. So, either him, or someone like him would be great. Ha, maybe someone like Colm Meaney (O'Brien on TNG and DS9) could do the role justice. Although that sounds a little bit like aiming too low.

For Leto, we really need someone with a more hawkish face. It's supposed to be a very distinctive Atreides trait. Paul should have that too, but in a lesser manner. I didn't like the looks for these two characters in the miniseries (no black hair or hawkish features...) even though I preferred their performances. Actually, for Leto, Hugo Weaving could probably do it well, although he's becoming a little over-exposed in all those big epic movies and franchises (LotR, Matrix, V for Vendetta...) Kind of like how Harrison Ford, within less than 10 years, managed to star in Star Wars, Indiana Jones AND Blade Runner.

Brad Dourif MUST play Piter DeVries.

I'll have to give more thought to the rest of the cast... I still can't think of someone right to play the Baron...

I would also welcome a new perspective on Alia.

Lastly, they should break up the novel into three movies, like the book was split up into three parts. Either that, or make it into two movies. It's a toss-up between 3x2h movies, or 2x3h movies, I think. 3x3h would be pushing it, and might seem overlong, considering what happens in the middle part.

shutz on
    Creativity begets criticism.
    Check out my new blog: http://50wordstories.ca
    Also check out my old game design blog: http://stealmygamedesigns.blogspot.com
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

do phasers count as lazguns?

the polar opposite of cinnamon is frogs. Later on in the beauty contest episode, they also reuse some of the trippy bits of the original dune movie.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.