Options

Metal Slug 3 on XBLA next week

RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
So the phenomenal Metal Slug 3 is going to be the first XBLA game of 2008. For those who are unfamiliar with the game, it's a run and gun arcade shooter with excellent 2D graphics by SNK. It's going to cost 800 MS points ($10 USD) which some people have been complaining about it due to Metal Slug Anthology on the Wii, PS2, and PSP which comes with all of the Metal Slug games, but I figure that Metal Slug 3 is the best game in the series anyway so here's a cheap way to pick it up without spending full price for the whole game. Plus the XBLA version will online co-op, leaderboards, achievements, the convenience of being on the hard drive, and enhanced HD visuals. Judging from the screenshots at http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/m/metalslug3xboxlivearcade/ it doesn't fill up the entire screen, however the actual gameplay visuals look sharper than previous versions.

Anyway, I'm excited. Metal Slug has long been my favorite of the 2D run and gun shooters and this looks like a great version of a classic game. Online co-op for the win!

RainbowDespair on

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Money = gone

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Oh god YES!
    The only thing that prevents me from creaming my pants is the 360's D-pad. :(

Djiem on
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The only reason I stopped playing MS3 was because my Xbox broke and my 360 doesn't support it. Fuck paying money for a game I already own but I have no choice, the game is sheer fuckawesome on a stick.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Here is the full release:
    Gamerscore wrote:
    The fourth title in the "Metal Slug" series joins the Xbox LIVE Arcade library as "Metal Slug 3" arrives this Wednesday, January 2 at 9:00 a.m. GMT (2:00 a.m. PST).

An update of the original arcade version, "Metal Slug 3" is a run-and-gun video game updated with HD graphics and now features co-op multiplayer over Xbox LIVE. "Metal Slug 3" provides gamers with various route selections within each stage enabling players to play over and over. Join Marco, Tarma, Eri and Fio, the four veterans in the "Metal Slug" series, as they hit the battlefield to stop General Morden from disturbing the order and peace that has begun to return to the world. Throughout the game, various vehicles called "Slugs" are made available to help players in battle and to complete the mission. The game features co-op gameplay for up to two players over Xbox LIVE. Developed by SNK Playmore, "Metal Slug 3" will be available worldwide for 800 Microsoft Points and is rated T for Teen by the ESRB.
    * For more details on "Metal Slug 3" please visit:
    o http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/m/metalslug3xboxlivearcade/

I'm not sure if I ever played part 3. Is it worth the 800 points?

Bamelin on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think 3 is one of my least favourite of the Metal Slugs...

It is still fantastic though.

LewieP on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    The problem with the Xbox version was the stupid decision to not let you actually continue...

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So is this the same Metal Slug that was released on the Xbox? I already have the Xbox one but I will totallyu buy it again as its not BC + online coop!

I presume the original arcade was "stick" based so it might work well with the Hori Arcade Stick?

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Bamelin wrote: »
    Here is the full release:
    Gamerscore wrote:
    The fourth title in the "Metal Slug" series joins the Xbox LIVE Arcade library as "Metal Slug 3" arrives this Wednesday, January 2 at 9:00 a.m. GMT (2:00 a.m. PST).

An update of the original arcade version, "Metal Slug 3" is a run-and-gun video game updated with HD graphics and now features co-op multiplayer over Xbox LIVE. "Metal Slug 3" provides gamers with various route selections within each stage enabling players to play over and over. Join Marco, Tarma, Eri and Fio, the four veterans in the "Metal Slug" series, as they hit the battlefield to stop General Morden from disturbing the order and peace that has begun to return to the world. Throughout the game, various vehicles called "Slugs" are made available to help players in battle and to complete the mission. The game features co-op gameplay for up to two players over Xbox LIVE. Developed by SNK Playmore, "Metal Slug 3" will be available worldwide for 800 Microsoft Points and is rated T for Teen by the ESRB.
    * For more details on "Metal Slug 3" please visit:
    o http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/m/metalslug3xboxlivearcade/

I'm not sure if I ever played part 3. Is it worth the 800 points?

Dude. It would be worth 8000 points.
    Ok, I'm exagerating. But yeah, it's TOTALLY worth 800 points.

Djiem on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    features co-op multiplayer over Xbox LIVE

I don't have the points yet (only 60 left), but I'm going to pick some up tomorrow in anticipation. It looks like the screenshots were taken on a widescreen display, so hopefully they give you the option to resize the display how you wish (like the Sega XBLA games do, also SotN).

Anyway, I'm so excited.

Einhander on
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Will this work on normal X-box?

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    EliteLamer wrote: »
    Will this work on normal X-box?
    No.

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm all over this, should tide me over until Omega Five gets released.

Co-op over Live, so much love.

Still very jealous that Gunstar is on the Wii, I'd play that all day, it needs to hit Live Arcade.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm all over this, should tide me over until Omega Five gets released.

Co-op over Live, so much love.

Still very jealous that Gunstar is on the Wii, I'd play that all day, it needs to hit Live Arcade.

I wish Gunstar was co-op online.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My mouth is literally still open from reading this thread title.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Fucking HOT!

Now for the rest of the series.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    notagamenotagame Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Online co-op? Totally worth the money, even if it's just 2 player. If they support 4 player online co-op, well then it will be a fucking steal.

notagame on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I forgot I bought a Hori stick for fighting games. Metal Slug is going to rock so hard.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    How does one benefit from a stick at all? It's not like a fighting game where you have to be that precise.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    How does one benefit from a stick at all? It's not like a fighting game where you have to be that precise.

The D-pad on the 360 blows for 2D games. It's so much more difficult to cast spells in SotN than it should be.

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

It's not necessarily beneficial, but it mimics the original arcade game, which used a joystick. More like the arcade = more fun. Except for feeding the machine quarters.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    FYI, the Gametap version of this also has online coop.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    pvx22pvx22 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Can someone post some impressions of the Hori fighting stick? I've heard about it but I'm hesitant to spend 70 bucks on something without a stellar review.

pvx22 on
    Agent+Yanez.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    pvx22 wrote: »
    Can someone post some impressions of the Hori fighting stick? I've heard about it but I'm hesitant to spend 70 bucks on something without a stellar review.

It's fantastic. Feels just like a joystick you would find on an arcade machine. I'm not used to joysticks so I can't say it improved my playing very much, but it feels far more comfortable than the pitiful D-pad on the 360 controller. I don't regret paying $70 for it, although I don't use it very often. Metal Slug will hopefully change that.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Who the hell used the dpad on Metal Slug? I used the joystick on the OXbox version and had zero problems.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Who the hell used the dpad on Metal Slug? I used the joystick on the OXbox version and had zero problems.

Exactly what I was wondering. You guys know that there is a perfectly comfortable joystick situated in a much more comfortable position than the D-pad on the 360 controller, right?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Yes, but some people like precision for fighting games and junk, and the joystick is a much nicer alternative to the d-pad.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007

I use a good d-pad on Metal Slug.

Djiem on
  • Options
    Retarded_TurkeyRetarded_Turkey Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I hope Xbox Live is fixed so I can use my points card that I haven't been able to redeem yet.

Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I hope Xbox Live is fixed so I can use my points card that I haven't been able to redeem yet.

Maybe it's your console, you should PM me the code so I can check and see if it works on mine.

Einhander on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This is all assuming that XBLA is "up and running" next week...

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    baddmanbaddman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    christ guys you are flipping out over this. gametap has all the metal slug games with online co-op! metal slug 1 is even free to play right now.

baddman on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So, when they mention HD graphics, do they mean actual redrawn art, or those shitty emulator-like filters that seem to plague other "updated" games?

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    So, uh, fuck this game on Live Arcade. The 360's D-pad is way too shitty, and even though I prefer analog stick anyways, it's way to sensitive to read me pressing right as a down press. Hell, I had my stick 100% horizontally to the right, and my guy wouldn't stop fucking crouching.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Turkey wrote: »
    So, when they mention HD graphics, do they mean actual redrawn art, or those shitty emulator-like filters that seem to plague other "updated" games?

they're using the 2xSai filter. You can see it in the screenshots.

Redrawing 2D games is pretty much out of the question unless it's a big project like Street Fighter II HD. Redrawing sprites costs a TON of money.

On that note, I'd like to say that I fucking HATE that algorithm. It's so fucking ugly.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, I keep crouching too. I'm not sure it was such a good idea to buy it without trial-ing it after all. Anyway, I'll try to get better at it, so I can maybe get one fucking achievement.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    Yeah, I keep crouching too. I'm not sure it was such a good idea to buy it without trial-ing it after all. Anyway, I'll try to get better at it, so I can maybe get one fucking achievement.

Luckily I'm on the trial version. Thank Christ for free trials!

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Okay, just played it.

The only way this is better than the OXbox version is being able to continue after running out of lives.

The controls suck. (Hello, why the fuck did they map grenades to Y instead of the triggers like the OXbox version?) The framerate drops like a bitch, it didn't do that on the Xbox version. It's missing the item tracker. It's got horrible overscan issues on a SDTV. I did notice the sound have more oomph to it.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    (Hello, why the fuck did they map grenades to Y instead of the triggers like the OXbox version?)

Help & Options.
    Controls.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    (Hello, why the fuck did they map grenades to Y instead of the triggers like the OXbox version?)

Help & Options.
    Controls.

Still a stupid decision.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Help & Options.
    Controls.

Still a stupid decision.

Who cares? You can change it, and save the changes! In such a case, control-mapping shouldn't be held as a flaw for the game.

Djiem on