As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Delicious veggies...sans cheese?

Aoi TsukiAoi Tsuki Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I am thin, but not healthy, largely because my diet is shit. I grew up eschewing anything that started its life growing in the ground, off a vine, etc., i.e. NO fruits or veggies but Granny Smith apples. Well, I'm 23 and safely out of the dinnertime power struggles that made me so stupidly anti-veggie in the first place, and I can just see my kids ten years from now: "Why the hell do we have to eat our peas? Mom never eats hers!" And my then-husband will side with them, the bastard, and I'll have to eat the damn peas anyway and then spank the kids for swearing at the dinner table.

I've perused the "healthy veggies" threads of H/A Past, and I got a lot of good info out of it, but none tailored to this one quirk of mine, as I've never met anyone else whose culinary mind was stuck in first grade. My aim here is to make myself eat better, and while I've no issue with brown rice, lean meats, etc., they're (generally) more expensive than decent vegetables--besides, I'm approaching the age where people are less likely to offer me pizza than a nice spinach lasagna, and I can't always discreetly pick icky-looking chunks out of it and drag them to the side of the plate without someone noticing. The only bit of advice I've gleaned from friends has been to drown whatever I try to ingest with Velveeta, which would necessitate carrying a jar of it to in-laws' houses/dinner parties/lunch with the President, and fuck that.

TL;DR: How to make veggies taste good without dousing it in delicious, delicious hot cheese? Also, good "starter" ones?

Aoi Tsuki on

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Green beans are good to start with, I'm horrible about vegetables but I love em, corn pwns as well (with some butter, yumz), from there you can move on to other stuff. I still hate peas but they aren't that great for you anyway.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    perfect cooking is your way to go - one of the reasons that veggies are so abhorred in the first place is that they're quite often boiled to death - greens especially. with greens, for example, you really need to only cook them momentarily, so that their colour comes out - usually, as long as they still have any life at all in them, you only need a bit of salt and pepper for a perfect side dish

other than that, nothing beats a good roast. splash some olive oil, salt and pepper over a tray of pumpkin, potatoes, sweet potato, honey-drenched carrots, onion halves and a bulb of garlic - bake it up until everything's crisp and yummy. if you still have an avid hatred of vegetables after that there's no recipe around that can save you

but yeah. start at home. wean yourself onto vegetables by cooking some really nice meals. once you've come to appreciate veggies when they're good, the worst they can do when they're bad is bore you

edit: oh, on the corn front, try a squeeze of lime juice, followed by a dash of mixed cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. healthier than butter and it tastes amazing. and don't boil the stuff, use the barbeque if you have one!

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Fuck corn.

Onions are where it's at. Just start throwing them into everything.

Also, try steaming vegetables. I <3 steamed cauliflower or broccoli.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    One of the main things is just to force yourself to eat them at first - your tastebuds will adapt to the food, in much the same way they do in people who switch out sodas and juice for water - for the first while, it tastes really bland, but then your tastebuds redevelop their sensitivity because they're no longer being overwhelmed with stronger flavors from sugar and fats. That said though, a lot of people can't cook veggies for shit, and that makes them really unpleasant. Rule 1 is never cook them too long - only taters and other root veggies need actual cooking time, pretty much. Most greenery only needs a couple of minutes at most - their colour should brighten and they should only soften very slightly.

In the meantime though, stir-fry is a great way to add flavour without unhealthiness. Ginger, soy sauce, chilli, fish sauce, lemongrass, honey, etc etc - there's a million different ways to do a stir fry. I think I've posted my method here before but it may have been pruned, so try getting a small cup and mixing a teaspoon of crushed garlic, several teaspoons of soy, and a teaspoon of grated fresh ginger (the dried stuff can be used in a pinch but is really most suitable for baking) together, and stir that through any kind of stir-fry.

Also, my mum found a great one for jazzing up steamed greens like broccoli/brussels sprouts: Steam them as normal, but while they're steaming, put some oil and crushed garlic and a small handful of pine nuts in a frypan and toast them over a moderate/low heat for a few minutes. Combine everything in a bowl and toss it together. Its pretty much the only way I like broccoli :P

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You cant really change personal preference about these sort of things all willy nilly just because you feel like it. If stuff tastes bad to you, it tastes bad to you. You either have to put up with eating it and not enjoying it because you know it is better for you than alternatives, or eat pretty much nothing but that kind of thing until your body accepts it and starts to dislike OTHER types of food when ingested.

I know tons of people that go a long time without eating or drinking something (IE Red Meat or Soda) and when they come back to it, they just can't stand it.

Take some asparagus, and try to get it younger so the stalks are an even thickness or cut the bottoms off until it is mostly the same thickness, and wrap the heads in foil. Toss in a little bit of balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper and grill. Grill until it is fork tender and then toss again in the vinoil mixture. Consume. Sans foil.

Its basically green perfection.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TrowizillaTrowizilla Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Get a steamer basket! Veggies are much better for you and better-tasting when you steam them. Try adding a spices to things; lemon pepper is really good on broccoli, cumin is excellent on cauliflower, a little soy sauce is excellent in stir-fry, etc.

If you at all like fruit smoothies, you can get quite a lot of nutrition from them. Throw your favorite fruits (peeled, of course) into a blender, add some carrots in, maybe some honey, and some ice, and blend it all together. You can do this with milk, too; milk + ice + bananas + blueberries is my favorite sort of breakfast in the world.

Trowizilla on
  • Options
    Aoi TsukiAoi Tsuki Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You cant really change personal preference about these sort of things all willy nilly just because you feel like it. If stuff tastes bad to you, it tastes bad to you. You either have to put up with eating it and not enjoying it because you know it is better for you than alternatives, or eat pretty much nothing but that kind of thing until your body accepts it and starts to dislike OTHER types of food when ingested.

I know tons of people that go a long time without eating or drinking something (IE Red Meat or Soda) and when they come back to it, they just can't stand it.

You've a point, if to a somewhat defeatist end. I often have trouble with the consistency of what I'm eating as much as the flavor, i.e. corn is too mushy. Steaming/stir-frying may help crisp things up a bit, and if not, I can always go the drown'd-in-dressing route (hell, it's not calorie-cutting I'm after, just veggies).

Smoothies? Hm. Are apples too firm to work well in those? I've seen/tasted/enjoyed plenty of strawberry mixes, but I loves me some tart apple flava.

Aoi Tsuki on
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've found it's all in the right veggies. I hate cabbage and anything made with it sans coleslaw (since you can't even taste the cabbage anymore) as well as certain other veggies.

However, sweet corn.. awesome. Growing up a good part of my life in New Jersey, they had absolutely awesome sweet corn. If you can find it, it just needs to be boiled and it needs nothing else, but many butter/salt/pepper it for additional taste.

Many peas/beans are great. I love sugarpeas...they taste great. Also, like it has been suggested above. Steam your veggies, many a tasty veggie has lost everything there is to lose in boiling. It's an old fashioned way to cook them and it really destroys almost all flavor.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Smoothies can work with anything, just get a mixer/blender that can handle whatever you put into it. Flavor will probably be a bit tough to work out, apples don't play that well with others in terms of flavor.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    However, sweet corn.. awesome. Growing up a good part of my life in New Jersey, they had absolutely awesome sweet corn. If you can find it, it just needs to be boiled and it needs nothing else, but many butter/salt/pepper it for additional taste.

I have eaten this corn, it is wonderful!

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    One of my favorite combinations is to cut up half an onion into long, thin slices, a whole red bell pepper, various chili peppers, and to fry that combo up. Caramelized onions over pretty much anything = delish. Throw some garlic salt and pepper on there too.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    GameHatGameHat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Personally, I'd try a bunch of raw veggies first. Raid your grocery's produce section!

Try nearly everything you can - even if you don't like a lot of them, you might find one or two you like.

For myself, I've found few vegetables that taste better cooked. Ruins a lot of the texture and flavor.

Not universal, just my opinion.

See if you can find a few vegetables that taste good au naturel!

...and if that fails, just start throwing little bits of them into everything you cook

GameHat on
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Vegetables are a lot better raw.

supabeast on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hell yes veggies are better raw. Do you eat sandwiches? Of course you do. Stack the shit out of your sandwiches with vegetables. I load mine with sweet onions, green peppers, jalapenos, and lettuce/spinach.

Basically the only way I get vegetables is by throwing them into everything I eat. You don't necessarily have to eat a full serving of vegetables all by its lonesome. Work them into more foods you eat and it'll be easier on your palate.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The Cat wrote: »
    One of the main things is just to force yourself to eat them at first - your tastebuds will adapt to the food, in much the same way they do in people who switch out sodas and juice for water - for the first while, it tastes really bland, but then your tastebuds redevelop their sensitivity because they're no longer being overwhelmed with stronger flavors from sugar and fats.

Actually, it could also be the opposite - stronger-flavoured veg are probably really unfamiliar and very strong flavours for her.

In any case, I'd recommend something that doesn't have overwhelming veggie flavours, but still contains lots of veg. Something like a minestrone-style soup made with chicken stock as the base, with lots of blander veg like baby peas, carrot, onion, celery, leeks, beans, corn, brocollini, zucchini, spinach (if it's not too bitter for you), etc.

Dice the carrots, onion/leeks, celery, and finely chop some garlic and cook them over medium-low heat in a heavy-based pan with olive oil until soft. Then add your stock/water, bring to the boil, add the rest of the veggies, then turn down the heat and simmer for about 20min-half an hour. The veggies should be tender, but still colourful, and not disintegrating. Stir some freshly-chopped herbs through after it's cooked.

Just make sure it's well-seasoned (you don't want it to be bland) and absolutely full of veggies. Also, since the stock is the base of the dish, it should be as good as possible. Stock cubes won't cut it. Use those tetra-packs of stock, or better yet, use home-made stuff. Splash some olive oil over the top before you serve, or you could even grate some parmesan over it to ween yourself off the cheese

Soups are really flexible. You could add pasta like risini, chickpeas, croutons, etc to it, and pretty much whatever other vegetables you want/can get your hands on can go in there. If you absolutely can't live without meat, throw some shredded, cooked chicken breast in towards the end of cooking, or fry off some salami/bacon with the onion - although the stock should be meaty enough for you.

Some general veggie tips - go to a greengrocer, and ask him/her what's good, what's in season, and how to check for freshness. Don't forget to salt your veg - either directly if they're cooked, or with dressing if they're raw, but be careful not to over-salt - salt is a flavour enhancer, not replacer. Sharp, citrus flavours generally go well with raw/lightly-cooked veg, and fresh herbs like chopped parsley/basil go really well with pretty much all veg.

As a general rule, veggies are blander if boiled/steamed, and more flavourful if fried/roasted/grilled, so if a vegetable tastes too bland for you, try frying it, and if it's too strong, lightly boil, steam or blanch it. A lot of vegetables have a high natural sugar content, and their flavours are really enhanced by frying off in oil. The french miripoix is a good example of that, and is a classic base for lots of dishes - onion, celery and carrot diced and fried or sauteed until glossy, soft and slightly sweet. As far as tinned veg goes, avoid them if you can - although tinned tomatoes are good, and in some cases better than fresh, and tinned beans/chickpeas, etc are way more convenient than dried. As far as frozen goes, fresh is better, but if you're just boiling, then they're fine. More old-fashioned cookbooks (from the 70's, say) tend to have lots of recipes for veggies that are geared towards the carnivore, so you'd probably do well to get your hands on one of them and work your way through the book.

But, pretty much, just force yourself to eat everything. It won't hurt you.

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    MunacraMunacra Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Thinatos wrote: »
    Fuck corn.

Onions are where it's at. Just start throwing them into everything.

Also, try steaming vegetables. I <3 steamed cauliflower or broccoli.

Man everything tastes way better with onions.

Grilled onions with lemon and salt by themselves are delicious.

Munacra on
  • Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If you find steamed vegetables too bland, drizzle a bit of chimichurri on them. I just discovered this wonderful simple seasoning yesterday and can confirm that it's fantastic on broccoli. And steak. And sandwiches. I'm certain it would make a spectacular addition to cauliflower (which I'm not a big fan of), asparagus, carrots, and everything else. Just don't pour it on by the liter, since oil is a major ingredient, but if you add less fat from that than the cheese you'd use instead, you're already making a healthier choice.

Another obvious thing that comes to my mind would be adding tomato sauce to dishes.

Fresh peas, right out of the pod, make for a nice snack or garnish.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    Soups are great, its true. There are lots of pumpkin soup recipes that don't taste much like pumpkin, f'r instance. And yeah, minestrone recipes are good ways to 'hide' veggies.

WRT tastebuds though, its worth pointing out that your perception of tastes does change quite markedly as you age - kids don't like greens because they really do taste more bitter to a child than to an adult (the same applies to a whole range of foods, actually). Your tastebud function does change a bit as you age, so things you remember as awful are likely to seem much nicer now, if not awesome, even without attempting to retrain yourself.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    burntheladleburntheladle Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I suggest fried rice - it's easy to cook, it a good way to eat several types of veggies, but without it being overwhelming because mostly it's rice (and a little ham or chicken doesn't go astray). Just chop up some veggies you can tolerate (I like to put onion, carrot, celery, zuchinni and capsicum in mine), add rice, maybe some meet, and pour soy sauce over the lot.

And I second the roast veggies - they are delicious.

The other good thing might be a simple tomato based pasta sauce - just throw some veggies in.

Don't make a meal ALL vegetables, because that would be boring and probably won't encourage you to enjoy them, just incorperate them into meals you already like.

burntheladle on
    What would Zombie Pirate LeChuck Do?
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I started eating a lot of veggies around 15 or so (when I realized how unhealthy I was) and what I found worked very well was eating lots of different kinds of veggies, for variety. Don't stop when you find something tolerable, try out a lot of different things to make sure you won't burn yourself out on that steamed broccoli you don't really love but don't exactly mind.

personally, I found boiled asparagus (with lemon and olive oil) and beets to be some of my favorites. Salad is definitely a great way to get used to your veggies, too. I found I could incorporate vegetables I really hated (Tomatoes) into a salad and it would help me get used to it without being too overwhelming. Just try to stick with vinaigrettes, if you start dousing your salads with creamy salad dressings you'll start to lose the healthy side of things pretty quickly.

Just remember to buy what's in season, try lots of different vegetables, and explore different ways to cook them. BBQ is one of my favorite ways to eat onions and peppers. Just try your best to make it fun for yourself and I'm sure you'll do great.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Garlic + oyster sauce + veggies = great
    My favourite is cauliflower or celery. If you steam veggies, oyster sauce is good for dipping to add some more flavour.

Underdog on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Mixed greens + black beans + cilantro + avocado + pico de gallo = tasty salad. No dressing needed.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    RubickRubick Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I've been the same was as you for pretty much my entire life - I spurned anything green and vegetable like. Now that I'm taking more interest in my health, I'm trying a few to see what I can find that I enjoy. My favorites so far are grilled asparagus and zucchini - good stuff, with some seasoning. You just need to get past your initial "It's a vegetable therefore I hate it" mentality and start trying stuff, cooked different ways.

You should also try as many different fruits as you can, as well. Strawberries, grapes, raspberries, bananas - taste great and good for you.

Rubick on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Soup soup soup. Vegetable soup is fantastic, fun and easy to make, stores well, and damn good for you. I make the Alton Brown recipe ( http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_28714,00.html ), and as long as you use low-sodium broth then there isn't very much bad that can be said about it.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Try picking up a Vegan cookbook. Theres one I have, if you want me to get the title for you just PM me (not because it's secret, but because otherwise I'll just forget), that has a ton of great recipies that are easy, and don't require a lot of wierd ingredients or spices. And since it's a vegan cookbook, obviously theres no cheese.

Chop Logic on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Steamed broccoli + twist of lemon > broccoli and cheese. Classier too.

ViolentChemistry on