Check out this thread for an update on DJ Eebs.

PC Must Haves?

• JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    What did I play, you ask? SimCity, SimCity 2000, SimPark, SimIsle, SimFarm, SimAnt ...and a bunch of really, really obscure games like Orbiter and JezzBall (and Colonization, Kings Quest IV, Oregon Trail and a few others that are more wellknown). That was on the ol' computer of '93 - when hard drives were smaller than RAM is now. Windows 3.1, I salute you.

You really like those Sim games dontcha? :)

Will Wright spoke a few months ago at the MS campus, as part of the MS Research talks. He spent a lot of time talking about how he designed all of those Sim games, in particular The Sims. Brilliant, brilliant guy. Also, very entertaining to listen to. He's also very fond of ants. Someone asked him if he would ever revisit SimAnt and make a sequel and I think he said he'd think about it, but that obviously they're busy with Spore. :)

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Sappy113Sappy113 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If ya wanna expand your library with some older titles, there are some titles that still are and forever will be full of massive amounts of win. These are some games I've grown up with, that have left a mark on the industry and that are just plain awesome. Oh, and you can probably pick them up cheap from any retailer.

Probably all mentioned in the thread allready, but anyhoo:

Baldurs Gate series
    Heroes of Might & Magic 3
    Morrowind
    Sam & Max
    Max Payne
    Planescape Torment - a massively underappreciated title. It's in no way technically brilliant by todays standards, but it still blows most, if not all, of todays titles out of the water in regards to writing on storyline.
    Civilization 3

Sappy113 on
    People are bastardcoated bastards with bastard filling
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Dont know if this has been said before, but the Orange Box, obviously. Every single part of it.

TheBog on
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Typing of the Dead is the first game I put on a new Windows install, and anyone who doesn't like it is a terrible person. Also, I'm given to understand that it's available on Gametap now.

Orogogus on
  • Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If you like Civ any, I would immediately suggest all of Paradox Interactive's games.

the addictiveness of Hearts of Iron 2 (a WW2 game) and Europa Universalis 3 (a 1450-1850 game) makes Civ4 look like shit.

Ethan Smith on
  • MasoniteMasonite Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Smashism wrote: »
    One word

SCUMM

+ Grim Fandango + The Longest Journey.

Masonite on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Red Faction, simply because the little bonus room where you have lots of explosives to play around with is just so much fun.

RoyceSraphim on
    steam_sig.png
  • LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The Longest Journey + Dreamfall.

Titanquest is lovely if you enjoy frantically clicking.

SimCity 4 for the aspiring city planner in all of us.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If you like Civ any, I would immediately suggest all of Paradox Interactive's games.

the addictiveness of Hearts of Iron 2 (a WW2 game) and Europa Universalis 3 (a 1450-1850 game) makes Civ4 look like shit.

While I appreciate the in-depth nature of Paradox games (and greatly enjoy their modability), there's a significant shift when going between the two groups (and somewhat of a smaller one between individual paradox titles). I'll still heartily recommend them if you love grand strategy, minor historical basis and a love for modifying things (or you just enjoy complex things) - but someone sold on Civ has a high probability of being overwhelmed/bored/annoyed at the complexities and (often present) lack of description of features and functions.

The cheating AI irks me to no end; it's worse, but often more subtle, than the Civ games. Of course, usually it's much easier to exploit, too.

That all sounds like I'm bashing the Paradox games, but if you enjoy implementing grand strategies, thinking game-years into the future and playing for long periods of time (while still willing to climb the Everest-like learning curves), there's nigh-endless fun in there. It's like the mission planning of Rainbow 6, with the overmap of the Total War games with some Civ thrown in (also, sprinkle on a little bit of RTS resource management). It tastes delicious, you've just gotta crack that hard outer shell.

Also, you have to not care about graphics (ask yourself: "Am I satisfied looking at a Risk board game?"

Edit:
    And if we're going for must haves, I'll still recommend SimCity 3000 above Sim City 4.

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    For recent (Mostly 2007 releases) games I'd go with, some of which you already have but anyway. Oh, and italics indicates favourites of mine which happens to be a fair few of them:

/* Strategy */

Supreme Commander + expansion
    Company of Heroes + expansion
    Command and Conquer 3

Age of Empires 3 + expansion
    World in Conflict
    Galactic Civilizations II: Dark Avatar
    DEFCON

Sid Meier's Civilization IV + expansion(s)
    Settlers 6

/* RPG */

The Witcher
    Neverwinter Nights 2 + expansion

Titan Quest + expansion

/* FPS and FPS/RPG */

The Orange Box
    BioShock
    STALKER

/* Adventure */

[New] Sam and Max
    Secret Files: Tunguska

Wait, Europa Universalis is good? Sigh, I thought it sucked and never really tried it.. I think I have a copy floating around here somewhere but unfortunately I think it's lost..

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Since my choice (10 times over) was already said (Max Payne 1 & 2), I have to post this instead.

Daemonion wrote: »
    Becks wrote: »
    I'd say one must-have for any PC is a monitor

a very close second to that is a keyboard, followed by the ubiquitous "mouse" peripheral

What the hell are those? I don't have any mice!

Wait, how am I pointing and clicking and typ

PARADOX

P E R I P H E R A L P A R A D O X

SithDrummer on
  • SolidGobiSolidGobi Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Seconded! I would just recommend EU3 over 2 for a first time Paradox gamer because it is way more open ended then EU2. IE more "like a Civ game" then other Paradox games. Meaning you can have fun things like Poland colonizing North America!

SolidGobi on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If you are having problems with SS2, I think you are supposed to right click the actual exe and have XP run it as 98, 95, ect. I went through the entire list until I found one that didn't crash. It was worth it, just haven't played due to the controls.

RoyceSraphim on
    steam_sig.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'll put out a shout for No One Lives Forever and the sequel. They're funny FPS games that still look pretty good today. Who doesn't love Cate Archer?

emnmnme on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If you are having problems with SS2, I think you are supposed to right click the actual exe and have XP run it as 98, 95, ect. I went through the entire list until I found one that didn't crash. It was worth it, just haven't played due to the controls.

There's default control setups you could load from the control menu which are more like a regular fps.

august on
  • NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Carmageddon 2 is made of ultimate win!

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Sappy113 wrote: »
    If ya wanna expand your library with some older titles, there are some titles that still are and forever will be full of massive amounts of win. These are some games I've grown up with, that have left a mark on the industry and that are just plain awesome. Oh, and you can probably pick them up cheap from any retailer.

Baldurs Gate series
    Morrowind
    Sam & Max
    Max Payne
    Planescape Torment - a massively underappreciated title. It's in no way technically brilliant by todays standards, but it still blows most, if not all, of todays titles out of the water in regards to writing on storyline.
    Civilization 3
    Also, most of these are on Gametap.

Baldur's Gate I & II, Planescape: Torment, the new Sam & Max series, Heroes of Might and Magic (all of them), and Civ III & IV are all on there. Plus, it's only 99 cents for the first month, and if you don't like it you can just cancel it.

The only forseeable downside is that you can't really run any mods for some (if not all of them) because of the way Gametap stores files on your computer. It's definitely not a deal-breaker, though, at least for me.

EDIT: Also, for System Shock 2, there's a Windows 2000/NT/XP patch available around teh intarwebz, though I always had trouble with it on my multiprocessor machine nonetheless. If you want to play it, I'd have to recommend you do it on a single core machine, just for ease of use.

freakish light on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I just wanted to say that if you like RPG's you should get the Morrowind Gold pack and the entire Baldurs Gate series. Those should keep you occupied for quite a while.

Silpheed on
  • robcat09robcat09 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Silpheed wrote: »
    I just wanted to say that if you like RPG's you should get the Morrowind Gold pack and the entire Baldurs Gate series. Those should keep you occupied for quite a while.

I just noticed they are selling all three Gothic games (with expansion) in one box for $30 at Best Buy.
    Don't complain about the control scheme - learn it and embrace it, and you will find some of the best gaming to be had. Oh yeah, laugh at the terrible voice acting, but not at what they are actually saying, because the story is quite intruiging.

robcat09 on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Don't complain about the control scheme
    Agreed. It was perfectly designed so that the player learned how to manipulate it better alongside the player's character becoming more proficient in battle.

SithDrummer on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Must Haves:

Warcraft3 & The Frozen Throne
    Orange Box, all of it.
    Fallout 1, +Fallout 2, I think. I've heard it's good but haven't played this one.. only recommending it because you can eBay the collection on one disc for around 10dollars.

I do not recommend Hellgate:London. I don't know who did, but they have it in for you imo 8-)
    I do not recommend Vampire: Bloodlines until you have some spare time - it's ok but I'd hardly call it a must have. Also, I forget what the moniker was but I enjoyed the first one much more. I think it has aged decently except for the meatball right hand :) It was about 5 times as polished as Bloodlines and 1/5th as cliche, imo.

fadingathedges on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It was Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption.

freakish light on
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    And it was no where near the game Bloodlines is. If you like vampires at all Bloodlines is a must own. It's $20 on Steam.

Drool on
    edited January 2008
    I got Bloodlines for ten, they sale it now and then.

My friend got it for five on halloween ;p

Redemption - right!
    Bloodlines is graphically superior - it's what 5ish years younger? - but the dialogue is so painful so much more often than Redemption. The plot and presentation are also just worse all around in BL, in my opinion.

fadingathedges on
    edited January 2008
    All other things aside, the game is probably worth $20 just playing through the game as Malkavian. Honestly.

freakish light on
    edited January 2008
    You're crazy. The characters are much more interesting and the dialogue is much better in Bloodlines.

Drool on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Bloodlines' dialog is painful? Its plot and presentation are worse? Blasphemy! I can understand someone preferring Redemption's plot (and not much else), but Bloodlines is a masterpiece of the genre that does everything right, plus a ton of bugs.

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited January 2008
    Bloodlines' dialog is painful? Its plot and presentation are worse? Blasphemy! I can understand someone preferring Redemption's plot (and not much else), but Bloodlines is a masterpiece of the genre that does everything right, plus a ton of bugs.

Until Nines talks? :lol:

In Redemption - the dialogue between Christof & Anezka was somewhat painful early on, but in Bloodlines almost all of the dialogue is horrid.
    There are some exceptions - the security guard and the afro salesman at the back of the truck have some good lines. The radio is occasionally good. The TV made me laugh once, when it was like
    blahblah the warehouse exploded, at this time the police think it was... YOU

but their isn't enough to make me love it ;p I'm nearing the end now, I think, and mostly just playing it to finish it.

fadingathedges on
    edited January 2008
    Which vampire clan did you pick? If it's not Malkavian, quit and start one. Right now.

If it is, there's something horribly, horribly wrong with you.

freakish light on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Diablo II + Lord of Destruction Exp Pack. One thousand times over. It's amazing. You cannot respectfully call yourself a PC Gamer if you haven't at least tried it. Doesn't matter if you like it or not. Just play it. Chances are you'll love it anyhow.

Also Starcraft + Broodwar Exp Pack. Prettty much the same explanation as Diablo II.

And Warcraft III + The Frozen Throne Exp Pack.

Jedi Knight II was an excellent FPS. The multiplayer on that game was awesome. I'm not really sure how the online community has held up as of late, but I imagine there is still a fair amount of people who play that game.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited January 2008
    Pretty much everything Christof says is dumb and that nun is a vapid cunt. Even the bit characters in Bloodlines are more interesting.

Drool on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Star Wars the Best of PC isn't a bad purchase for the price. If only just for Republic Commando. A game that really needs a next-gen online co-op remake already.

Inquisitor on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    More like a sequel - Empire Commando. Hunting down rebel scum.

august on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I would also accept that.

Inquisitor on
    edited January 2008
    Yes I'm Malkavian. My dialogue is pretty ok, it's the entire world around me I have a problem with. The game - dialogue and otherwise - has yet to surprise me. To expound on that, it has yet to not have exactly what I expect around every corner and in every discussion. Every problem is expected and has the expected solution. That doesn't make for much fun, imo. I specifically remember being suprised in Redemption waking up in the Society of Leopold - the 'scene change' if you will was very cool, and Christof transitioned at that point from being a whiny emo douche into embracing what he had become. It took half the game to do it, but that makes it much more believable, imo.

Christof was kindof a douche, but his dialogue was at least somewhat forgivable because of his origins as a knight in the middle ages.
    Anezka gets alot less vapid after Prague.

All of the quests in Bloodlines make me feel like I'm running errands for assholes.

All the quests in Redemption (that I recall at least, it's been a few years) were great fun. The golem in the jewish district of old Prague? Being forced to move around during the day to enter the cathedral, sticking to shadows? Playing as a human for awhile made the game better as well imo.

In Bloodlines you fight a cheapass, bland boring prescript of Dr Steinnman from Bioshock (Stan Gimble) who drops a human arm you can swing at people. The whole experience bored me.
    In Redemption you may have found a secret panel in an altar that slides away to reveal the forearm & hand/claw of some dead saint / vampire / i forget and it's a relic that you can wield along with a riot shield and deal aggravated damage :P I gave it to my nossy, Sam I think his name was. This delighted me.

fadingathedges on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yes I'm Malkavian. My dialogue is pretty ok, it's the entire world around me I have a problem with. The game - dialogue and otherwise - has yet to surprise me.

Well that's your problem right there. Malkavians have a strong insight into everything and the dialog gives away every plot twist and turn 2 hours before it even happens. They're fun for a second playthrough so you can get into arguments with stopsigns and hear the television anchor talk to you but for a first playthrough you're just spoiling the game for yourself, because your crazy brain telegraphs everything for you before it happens.

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited January 2008
    I really don't think that's it.
    But let's stop hijacking.

OP: play both and tell us which game experience you preferred. :D

fadingathedges on
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    To start I'd say Quake1-4(there is an Ultimate Quake package with all 4 that sells for 50 bucks or less), Doom3+expansion, Heroes of Might and Magic 2,3 and 5(with the latest expansion, makes the game A LOT better), MDK (if you have a fry's store, they sell a double pack with 1&2 for 5 bucks), Serious Sam First and Second Encounter (different from Serious Sam 2, which wasn't that great imo), Nox (a fun diablo clone that is unique with great multi, but sadly no one plays the multi anymore), Painkiller, and it might be extremely difficult to find the retail version, but Close Combat 1 is a really fun war game.

In a nicer list:
    -Quake1-4
    -Doom3+expansion
    -Heroes of Might and Magic 2, 3, 5 (5 with Tribes of the East expansion)
    -MDK1
    -Serious Sam First and Second Encounter
    -Nox
    -Painkiller
    -Close Combat

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • PuddingSenatorPuddingSenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Sappy113 wrote: »

Baldurs Gate series
    Morrowind
    Sam & Max
    Max Payne
    Civilization 3
    Also, most of these are on Gametap.

Baldur's Gate I & II, Planescape: Torment, the new Sam & Max series, Heroes of Might and Magic (all of them), and Civ III & IV are all on there. Plus, it's only 99 cents for the first month, and if you don't like it you can just cancel it.

The only forseeable downside is that you can't really run any mods for some (if not all of them) because of the way Gametap stores files on your computer. It's definitely not a deal-breaker, though, at least for me.

EDIT: Also, for System Shock 2, there's a Windows 2000/NT/XP patch available around teh intarwebz, though I always had trouble with it on my multiprocessor machine nonetheless. If you want to play it, I'd have to recommend you do it on a single core machine, just for ease of use.

Does Gametap work on x64 Vista yet? Last time I tried it was a few months ago and the main program wouldn't even launch. They also said there were "no plans" to support it, which seems ludicrous to me.

P.S. Please don't tell me I shouldn't be using Vista because it sucks, or that Gametap shouldn't support it because it sucks, etc. I'm just interested in knowing if they've fixed the problem or have any plans to at this point.

PuddingSenator on
    edited January 2008
    From what I've read, there are a couple of issues with x64 Vista support. First, a bunch of games won't run under Vista for one reason or another. Second, part of the disk management system Gametap uses isn't x64 compatible, and it's not something they developed in-house but licensed from some other company. So no, I don't think there's going to be support for it anytime soon. Sorry.

freakish light on