As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

EBStop Direct Download: Experiences?

JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
I'm looking to download a copy of RCT2 from EB's direct-download service. However, I'm pretty scared of not having hard copies of my software, and the only service I have ever used for Direct Download was Steam (and then for only two games).

Has anyone used EB's service? Is there anything I should know about: strange limitations on the games, inability to patch, or other wierd stuff? How about a way to back up the installer so I have a working copy even if EB for some reason explodes tomorrow?

I recall hearing some lousy reviews of TryGames.com in a Worms thread awhile back, so I'm feeling a bit anxious over the service.

SteamID -- JerikTelorian
XBL: LiquidSnake2061
Shade wrote: »
Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
JerikTelorian on

• IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Personally, I would not do this. If the service isn't as popular as they are planning it to be, I can see them canceling the service, and requiring all sorts of hoops to jump through before you can play the game you bought again.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    That is my primary concern, but I'm wondering if it can simply be activated by a Key, such that I could burn the installer to a CD and activate it with-or-without them.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm a hard copy guy, but Direct2Drive has worked for installs and reinstalls quite well in my experience. I'd suggest going with them if they have the game.

LaPuzza on
  • JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    D2D doesn't have the full version, they lack one of the Expansions. For the same price, I'd just go with EB, if I decide to nab it.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian