Options

Why are moderators dicks?

JoeSomebodyJoeSomebody Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
The more I read through old and interesting posts, the more I realise -- despite the forums relatively mature audience -- a lot of the moderators are pricks. Can we like . . . petition for a recall?

Huh. I wonder how this post will fly with the moderators. "See ya. You will be banned."

JoeSomebody on

• Options
    Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    I agree, there seems to be something of a double standard that goes on.

I also agree that you're probably about to get banned.

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    Sarastro, you're an annoying prick, that's kind of why you've had some issues with the moderators.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Ni-ice.

That would suck, because, as you can see, I'm heavily invested in this tag with my aweseome avatar, no profile contribution, and my like 4 total posts.

JoeSomebody on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Sarastro, you're an annoying prick, that's kind of why you've had some issues with the moderators.

Whoa. Down, boy, down.

JoeSomebody on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Honestly, you'll probably be infracted, perhaps to prove a point, but also because it's not exactly the accusation that's bad, but the somewhat caustic way it was presented.

But on topic, that Thinatos, amirite? I mean, bitter and angry. Did you see his "Christmas" avatar?

:shock:

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Dynagrip wrote: »

I think the man's point was precisely that some moderators behave like annoying pricks too.

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    But on topic, that Thinatos, amirite? I mean, bitter and angry. Did you see his "Christmas" avatar?

I'm sorry, James; I'm not aware of this incident. Could you link it, please?

JoeSomebody on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Coming from someone who is currently jailed...

the mods are the only thing that keep this forum from degenerating into a cesspool of unreadable crap and ignorance. IMHO

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    That's a good point. But I'm not advocating for no mods (or am I..........!) just new ones.

JoeSomebody on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    As a whole I actually tend to like the various moderators. They generally put forth amusing or well-thought out posts in their areas of interest, and yes they break forum rules a bit but nothing too major.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The mods around here are actually fairly nice if you're not A: a complete retard, and/or B: you're always acting like a raging douchebag. If you fall into either (or both) Category A or Category B, it's not hard to see that the people who must monitor our behavior might get a weeeee bit peeved at you and perhaps address you with a different standard of treatment than everyone who's not like you.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    It's hard to say exactly how much worse it'd be without moderator tyranny. Things are pretty good now, but that might just be because of the crowd a debate thread on a gaming forum might be. Penny-Arcade is pretty high brow.

However, have you seen the Ron Paul threads? Some of the mods can be pretty bitter about it, and sure, maybe sometimes it seems like they give infractions for smaller things than should be deserving, but really, things could be a lot worse, and most of the mods seems to refrain from too much abuse, even when you get the feeling they really want to toss out a ban for stupidity. Then again, there probably has been a ban for that.

Probably from that fuckin' Thanatos. Patrick War-CRAP-ton!

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    The more I read through old and interesting posts, the more I realise -- despite the forums relatively mature audience -- a lot of the moderators are pricks. Can we like . . . petition for a recall?

Huh. I wonder how this post will fly with the moderators. "See ya. You will be banned."

Because of people like you?

Well, that's harsh. You're just officious and boring. You should see some of the loonies we have to deal with. Also, I think perhaps you might be missing a little something about the tone of this forum.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I agree, there seems to be something of a double standard that goes on.

he won't, but damn is it ever tempting to infract you. Dyna's right, you're a raging twat anywhere outside H/A. Which is odd, because with most people its the other way around.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I know for a fact that Tube's banned people for being stupid.

And for being annoying.

And for being passive aggressive.

And for being libertarians.

But he's Tube, our Mighty Morphin' Rock n' Roll Hedgehog Overlord, so it's okay.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Tube's always right, though. You can't argue with right.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The Cat wrote: »
    Because of people like you?

Well, that's harsh. You're just officious and boring. You should see some of the loonies we have to deal with. Also, I think perhaps you might be missing a little something about the tone of this forum.

I don't know what you know of our American culture, but have you ever heard of "Donald Trump"? He has this thing, where he says "You're fired." But since you're a mod, and ban instead of firing, I could totally see it, y'know...

What was the word you used, Cat, a while back... It meant something like incensed, or caustic or bitter, but started with a 'C'

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    there seems to be a lot of "do as i say, not as i do" with certain mods, but their infractions and such are fair. i am bothered when i see the same mods breaking the forum rules. but on the whole, they do a heckuva job.

looking through your admittedly short posting history, JoeSomebody, it looks like you didn't bother reading the rules thread. infractions around here are given pretty fairly, so man up.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    I know for a fact that Tube's banned people for being stupid.

And for being annoying.

And for being passive aggressive.

And for being libertarians.

But he's Tube, our Mighty Morphin' Rock n' Roll Hedgehog Overlord, so it's okay.

Sometimes I read through the Banned thread for the sake of hilarity. It never fails.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think a lot of stems from the fact that the moderator's word is law. They decide, and the decision must be obeyed. Most of the time I see them acting like dicks is when someone has publicly gone into tantrum mode, often complaining that "the man" is getting them down.

japan on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Tube's always right, though. You can't argue with right.
    Well you can, but you'll be struck down by the Wrath of the Gods if you do. It's not really worth all the trouble of experiencing an excruciatingly painful death to bother attempting.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    It's like police brutality. It's just the eventual result of having so much power! Have you ever heard of the Stanford Prison Experiment? Now, this is only an internet forum, but human brains are human brains, y'know. So I'm leading the rebellion.

Attica! Attica! Attica!

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Shit, man, I know what an asshole mod is like, and they're a lot worse than the dudes and dudettes here. Banning people for "bickering", which is an excuse for banning people for "winning" debates against other mods or mod-favorites. This forum is fucking great, and the mods do a great job of keeping it alive and readable without being tyrants. Seriously.
    at least on G&T, I dunno about terrible places like SE++

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, when the mods start calling users a "raging twat" I think it's about to be locked.

Just remember:

We must unite!

JoeSomebody on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Mods breaking the rules doesn't bother me much more than, say, cops breaking the law. I mean, sure, they shouldn't be doing it because it's their job (that they don't get paid for) to uphold the laws by which we must all abide, but they're human and thus imperfect so meh. Besides which our mods are the mods ever, so I think it all balances out.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, when the mods start calling uses a "raging twat" I think it's about to be locked.

Just remember:

We must unite!
    To be fair, when the mods call someone a "raging twat," it's usually because they are, in fact, being a raging twat.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Seriously, people can shut up about smartass remarks in infraction notices and the like. That's freakin' showmanship. You weren't around when the dude moderating this forum back in the day was editing other people's posts to make it easier to shoot down their arguments. That's bad moderation, not a sprinkling of cusses.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    japan wrote: »
    I think a lot of stems from the fact that the moderator's word is law. They decide, and the decision must be obeyed. Most of the time I see them acting like dicks is when someone has publicly gone into tantrum mode, often complaining that "the man" is getting them down.
    Or someone bitches about Cat seems to be passionate about women's rights.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Seriously, people can shut up about smartass remarks in infraction notices and the like. That's freakin' showmanship. You weren't around when the dude moderating this forum back in the day was editing other people's posts to make it easier to shoot down their arguments. That's bad moderation, not a sprinkling of cusses.
    Dr. D?

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, when the mods start calling uses a "raging twat" I think it's about to be locked.

Just remember:

We must unite!
    To be fair, when the mods call someone a "raging twat," it's usually because they are, in fact, being a raging twat.

Yes. Also, I think we are done. Go read the rules thread, and complain to the admin if you think you haven't been given enough sweet, sweet attention for one day.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Dr. D?
    Evander.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.