As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

changin' mah name

real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I want to change my name. I actually want to no longer have a last name. This might seem pretty obnoxious, but I have a rare first name, so I feel like it is fairly reasonable. (Plus, my last name is ridiculously long and hyphenated.) I am currently attending college in Portland, OR, but I am from the Bay Area. Can you guys tell me what I need to do in order to get my name changed, or if I can make this kind of change at all? I briefly looked online and I saw sort of kit of forms I can order, but they were pricey (something like 50 dollars, if I recall correctly).

real_pochacco on

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think I have to say, as a representative of sanity, don't do it. Change your last name, sure, but if you don't have one at all you're going to be annoying people for the rest of your life.

Hell, a lot of stuff, especially electronically, requires that a last name be entered to work, so you'll need to come up with something to use.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I'm thinking that I will be putting N/A a lot.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I have a friend who legally changed from female to male. Based on what he had to do, from what I recall, is you need to appear in court and explain why you want your name changed to this. Mostly theres a background check and some questions to see if you are trying to run from some debtors or anything, and I beleive there is some standard fee for all of this. I think your first step is contacting the court house. That, or Google.

You're going to be saying "No, it's just Svengali" (or whatever your name is) quite alot.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I'm thinking that I will be putting N/A a lot.

Then just make your last name Na, and just go by your first name when in casual conversation.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    You're going to be saying "No, it's just Svengali" (or whatever your name is) quite alot.

Heh, yeah, but it's better than saying, "I don't wanna tell you my last name because you'll fuck it up when you inevitably repeat it back to me in disbelief."

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

Heh, yeah, but it's better than saying, "I don't wanna tell you my last name because you'll fuck it up when you inevitably repeat it back to me in disbelief."

So why not just change your last name to like smith or something instead of dropping it completely and making your transition period a living hell?

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    And it's still worse than just changing your name to something simple. Maybe it's just me, but I have to strongly resist the urge to smack people when they introduce themselves with some messed-up name change.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I mean, I don't want to ditch my last name because I think I'm sooo awesome or something. I just can't really think of any last name I like, and I like my first name, so I might as well just stick with that.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I mean, I don't want to ditch my last name because I think I'm sooo awesome or something. I just can't really think of any last name I like, and I like my first name, so I might as well just stick with that.

I recommend that you think longer and harder about this.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    SkyGheNe wrote: »

I have thought for a good long time about this. My main concern is the form question, what happens when I want to fill out some online form and they ask for my last name and the form won't let me move on unless I put something. Other than that, I don't really see any problem with having no last name.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    seconded. I reccomend you try doing this without legally changing it, just for a while, to see how it's going to affect you.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

I have thought for a good long time about this. My main concern is the form question, what happens when I want to fill out some online form and they ask for my last name and the form won't let me move on unless I put something. Other than that, I don't really see any problem with having no last name.

you're just going to have to call customer service every single time you want to do something online... Also, every one of those customer service people are going to think you're a scammer, because it's going to take a while for the name change to go through the entire system so that they don't still see the old info.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    You mean, I try and act like I already have my name changed in social situations and that sort of thing?

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Even if you don't think it's pretentious or anything, you do understand how annoying it's going to be for other people, right? Or is that one of the highlights of this for you?

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yea, why not?
    If you get married, will she drop her last name?

Improvolone on
  • Options
    CojonesCojones Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yea, why not?
    *shudder*

I don't see why you have to legally change your name at all. Why not just pretend that it's something else?

Cojones on
    exmac.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Scooter wrote: »

Even if you don't think it's pretentious or anything, you do understand how annoying it's going to be for other people, right? Or is that one of the highlights of this for you?

No, no, I am not doing this just to annoy people.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    BlochWaveBlochWave Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_change

Well that was easy ^_^

Basically there are legal steps to do it officially, which are necessary to get your social security card and crap in the right name, but in theory you can go by whatever the hell you want so long as you go by it EXCLUSIVELY, but don't forget the legal name. You also can't use it to evade debts or be unlawful, accidentaly or otherwise, so notify everyone that would care and change your name on all your cards, bank accounts, etc.

Edit: So my understanding is you basically you don't have a "legal" name for matters that don't use your social security number as an identifier(which uses the name on your social security card, which is the name on your birth certificate unless you change it officially)You can go to court, be sued, etc. under a name of your choosing so long as you use it exclusively and without intent to deceive or confuse

BlochWave on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I recommend changing your last name to one of the following: Kickass, Uppercut, or Fightmaster.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yea, why not?

No way

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Well, okay, duh, but the point was that doing this legally could really throw some wrenches in the works. That wiki quote is by far the most helpful.
    In other words, just go by it.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    You mean, I try and act like I already have my name changed in social situations and that sort of thing?

exactly, spend about two or three months introducing yourself as just "guy", correct people, get used to the reaction, start changing all of your personal stuff that you can legally change without changing your name. It's like getting a temporary tattoo... Try it out and see how it feels, then make the decision.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't know - whether or not you want to annoy people, it will have that sort of effect on them.

Think of it this way...I would list the pros and cons of changing your name. There is a psychological benefit, it seems, if you change your name - as in it will make you happy. I just see a lot of things down the road that would annoy me to no end...taking out loans, mortgages, credit cards, jury duty, anything and everything that requires paperwork...

Which is everything in this damn country.

So I don't know. To me it wouldn't be worth it, but if it really makes you that happy...whatever works.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    BomanTheBearBomanTheBear Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    stryker116 wrote: »
    I recommend changing your last name to one of the following: Kickass, Uppercut, or Fightmaster.
    Staff Seargent Max Motherfucking Fightmaster already has the monopoly on that one. He can't take that one.

By the way, one of my coworkers here was named Sako Zadoyen, and about a year ago he dropped his last name and is just Sako. Aside from people making Cher and Bono jokes to him, I really don't think he's had any problems. Also, it hasn't annoyed any of us, we all think it's pretty cool.

But it depends on OP's first name. What is it, if you don't mind sharing?

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Instead of going to all the trouble of getting your name changed, you could learn to live and let live :P

Out of curiosity, what school do you go to?

Sami on
  • Options
    ConvaelConvael Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Sami wrote: »

Instead of going to all the trouble of getting your name changed, you could learn to live and let live :P

Out of curiosity, what school do you go to?
    Yeah... I have a last name that like one other single person in America has (I'm Italian) and every single time someone hears it or has to read it they completely fuck it up and I have to say that everyone always gets it wrong, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to change it. Why can't you just deal with it?

Convael on
  • Options
    JivesJives Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I've been told, in england at least, all you need to do to change your name is start calling yourself by the new name.

Jives on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

No, no, I am not doing this just to annoy people.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure Bono doesn't think he's pretentious either.

And even people who do bless themselves with silly names like The Edge have legal names that they use to do "normal" things. If you're going to insist that people never know your second name ever (and have them think you're nuts) you may as well keep a legal name that follows English naming conventions to make things easier.

By the way, I think this is a really pretentious thing to do.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    stryker116 wrote: »
    Staff Seargent Max Motherfucking Fightmaster already has the monopoly on that one. He can't take that one.

By the way, one of my coworkers here was named Sako Zadoyen, and about a year ago he dropped his last name and is just Sako. Aside from people making Cher and Bono jokes to him, I really don't think he's had any problems. Also, it hasn't annoyed any of us, we all think it's pretty cool.

But it depends on OP's first name. What is it, if you don't mind sharing?

You already knew him though. It's first impressions that will be a killer.

Can you imagine a job interview?

"Hi, I'm Joe Smith, and you are?"
    "Jimmy."
    "Jimmy...?"
    "Just Jimmy, no last name."
    "Ok..." *scribbles down Jimmy Asshole on his notes*

Scooter on
  • Options
    BomanTheBearBomanTheBear Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Actually, I did meet him as Sako. It didn't even dawn on me to ask what his last name was until a little while ago. But your hypothetical situation is dead on if it isn't the right name. If there's a remote possibility that someone else might have the same name, or if the name sounds dumb on its own, it won't work. Sako just seems to work.

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The two or three people I've dealt with in life (I've worked in a call center a few years, you hear EVERY name in the book) have put the letter X as their last name. That way, they have something to sign or put onto online forms. Personally, I like the idea better of a killer last name - maybe just take an everyday object that should not be a last name - Steven PecanNutLog, Robert MelonBaller, Matthew ToothbrushHolder, or maybe Richard ThreeHolePunch.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    QuirkQuirk Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Herby wrote: »
    The two or three people I've dealt with in life (I've worked in a call center a few years, you hear EVERY name in the book) have put the letter X as their last name. That way, they have something to sign or put onto online forms. Personally, I like the idea better of a killer last name - maybe just take an everyday object that should not be a last name - Steven PecanNutLog, Robert MelonBaller, Matthew ToothbrushHolder, or maybe Richard ThreeHolePunch.

This would be a good idea, since there is no obligation to follow any naming conventions other than on certain legal documents you don't NEED to tell anyone your last name if you don't want to, and if you do want to tell them then at least they get a laugh

Quirk on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't know what line of work you plan on going into, pochacco, but if it's something even vaguely professional or office-related, you're shooting yourself in the foot. No one is going to hire someone with just a first name. It's not going to happen.

And yeah, all you have to do to change your name is start using a different one. My recommendation would be to drop one part of your hyphenated name, or, if you don't feel right doing that (don't want to piss off one of your parents), find and choose something you like. Why this huge aversion to having a last name, anyhow?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    As an alternate option, have you considered breaking the hyphenated last name into a middle name and last name combination? Like if your name was Johnny Timmy Smith-Roberts maybe switch it to Johnny Timmy-Smith Roberts. That way you can sign Johny T Roberts.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Jives wrote: »
    I've been told, in england at least, all you need to do to change your name is start calling yourself by the new name.

You've been told a lie. You have to legally change your name, for it, to you know, be legal.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    Bob SappBob Sapp Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Split your first name into two names. Problem solved.

Unless your name is one syllable...

Bob Sapp on
    fizzatar.jpg
  • Options
    GigatonGigaton Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Bob Sapp wrote: »
    Split your first name into two names. Problem solved.

Unless your name is one syllable...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kal_Penn

It could work...

Gigaton on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My last name is also ridiculously long and hyphenated too. I'd like it to be easier to spell for people but thems the breaks. Having no last name at all is going to be harder to get people to write down on forms a long last name.

In all casual situations use whatever name you choose and in professional situations try a different name. At the place I interned at this summer one of the employees used a different name outside of work. Didn't seem to cause him any trouble.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    GigatonGigaton Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Gafoto wrote: »
    My last name is also ridiculously long and hyphenated too. I'd like it to be easier to spell for people but thems the breaks. Having no last name at all is going to be harder to get people to write down on forms a long last name.

In all casual situations use whatever name you choose and in professional situations try a different name. At the place I interned at this summer one of the employees used a different name outside of work. Didn't seem to cause him any trouble.

Funny you should mention that. While taking summer classes and a few during the Fall semester, I told everyone to call me by a different first name to see how it would work out.

Turns out that I significantly prefer the name I choose for myself instead of my given name and I'm seriously considering changing my first name to reflect my preference. But what I didn't expect to happen was that over time I grew to hate my old name and cringe mentally whenever I'm called by it in public.

Gigaton on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I had a friend in the same boat. His name was Graham Parker-Finger. Guess which side of the hyphenation he dropped?

Also, go to your city hall or courthouse and ask a clerk. There are a lot of things that require you to look stupid but only for a second or two before you can get what you want.

Uncle Long on