As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Reliving the Party] PS1

xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
playstation%20logo.jpg

Not necessarily late, but because I recently discovered the joys of playing PS1 games on my PSP (via the PS3 of course) through wifi I want to pick up some games from yonder to play when I'm on lunch or something at work.

I generally know what's good and what-have-you from the era, but at the moment I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed because the library is HUGE. The three games I own right now (and just tested) are Silhouette Mirage (excellent Treasure game), Ogre Battle, and Castlevania: SOTN.

This thread isn't just for this purpose. It's also to relive the glory days of the Playstation.

I'm thinking about finding a copy of MGS1 (or stealing it from ShimSham next time I'm home), and while FF7 does seem tempting, I'm not too sure if it will do well portable.

shark2.jpg
XBL - Follow Freeman
xWonderboyx on

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    CRASH TEAM RACING

CRASH TEAM RACING

CRASH TEAM RACING

better than mario kart 64 by a fucking mile. by a fucking mile !!

TheSonicRetard on
  • xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I played a demo for it once. It was fun.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Soul Blade

It will teach you to want the Soul Calibur series to return to it's routes.

Edit: and if you haven't played Chrono Trigger, get that too.

LewieP on
    edited January 2008
    I had so much fun with Crash 1 and 2 and CTR. Crash 3... not to much, and I never played any of the others. But Crash 1 and 2 are so fucking good. They're Donkey Kong Country in 3D.

TheSonicRetard on
    edited January 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    Soul Blade

It will teach you to want the Soul Calibur series to return to it's routes.

YES! I had that game way back when and I was pretty good at it.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Bob SappBob Sapp Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    CRASH TEAM RACING

CRASH TEAM RACING

CRASH TEAM RACING

better than mario kart 64 by a fucking mile. by a fucking mile !!

Yes! Playing this game multiplayer fucking ruled back in the day.

Edit: I also recommend Ape Escape.

Bob Sapp on
    fizzatar.jpg
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    PS1 had some great classic game revivals...

Space Invaders
    Asteroids
    QBert
    Pac Man World
    Ms Pacman Maze Madness
    Frogger 2

Just avoid Centipede & Frogger 1...

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oddworld 1 and 2.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Colony Wars!

And The Legend of Dragoon.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wow, looking back, I can't believe the PS1 was $300 - $350 at launch. Thirteen years later and now handhelds are many times more powerful.

Abe Oddysee might be hard to see on a PSP screen but I'd bet a 2D fighter would work well. Street Fighter Alpha 3, maybe? KoF '95?

emnmnme on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Are you Read - E?

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    edited January 2008
    I just want everyone to know that this is also the best thing that has come from me owning a PS3. I don't have any PS3 games for it, but this makes it all worth it.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    FF7 / 8 / 9
    GTA 1/2
    Crash Bandicoots
    Castlevania SOTN
    Ape Escape
    MGS
    Need for Speed Hot Pursuit
    Pong
    Cool Boarders.

Way to go, Ps1. Way to go.

edit - Oh and Parasite Eve 1/2

DekuStick on
    edited January 2008
    Kagera wrote: »
    Are you Read - E?

more like "R U E"

TheSonicRetard on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Any of the Deception games; notably 3.

Both Fear Effects, Die Hard Trilogy, Umjammer Lammy.

Way too many RPGs.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited January 2008
    Holy shit.

I thought I had some idea of the games to be mentioned, but my limited memory really fucked me.

Now I want to find and play all these games again. Dammit.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
    edited January 2008
    Are you Read - E?

more like "R U E"

"U R Not E"

Kagera on
    edited January 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Way too many RPGs.

Oh shit, the Die Hard Trilogy. I remember those games. They were awesome, especially the third game. I loved just driving around running people over, and then using the wipers to clear away the blood on the windshield. :)

Dashui on
    edited January 2008
    Dashui wrote: »

Way too many RPGs.

Oh shit, the Die Hard Trilogy. I remember those games. They were awesome, especially the third game. I loved just driving around running people over, and then using the wipers to clear away the blood on the windshield. :)

And setting them all on fire when you "diffused" a bomb.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
    edited January 2008
    Upon more testing, action games will be more suited for local play (ie, in the bedroom on my local wifi while the wife reads) because there is a slight lag when playing via internet. However, I have just given myself a huge RPG library where timing isn't so important.

I'm going to be in trouble some day soon.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
    edited January 2008

Way too many RPGs.

Man, it was all about the lethal enforcers style 2nd game.

How about the old shit like Loaded? That game is still a blast for simple, no minded fun.

TheSonicRetard on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Way too many RPGs.

Man, it was all about the lethal enforcers style 2nd game.

How about the old shit like Loaded? That game is still a blast for simple, no minded fun.

Yeah but it'd be hard to see on a PSP screen.

emnmnme on
    edited January 2008
    Upon more testing, action games will be more suited for local play (ie, in the bedroom on my local wifi while the wife reads) because there is a slight lag when playing via internet. However, I have just given myself a huge RPG library where timing isn't so important.

Don't forget - both Lunars were ported to the PS1. And while Lunar: Silver Star on the Sega CD is better than Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete on the PS1, that's like saying 10 diamonds are better than 9.

Also, Thunder Force V is on the PSX. And it kicks so much ass, just like all Thunder Force games kick ass.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Crash Team Racing is fuckin' keen.

Clint Eastwood on
    edited January 2008

Don't forget - both Lunars were ported to the PS1. And while Lunar: Silver Star on the Sega CD is better than Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete on the PS1, that's like saying 10 diamonds are better than 9.

Also, Thunder Force V is on the PSX. And it kicks so much ass, just like all Thunder Force games kick ass.

When I was younger I never had the cash available to buy Lunar: SSSC, but I rented that thing EVERY FUCKING WEEKEND. Even after I beat it, I was renting that game just to play through again. Holy shit, this is the game I am getting. Like, now.

Edit: wow, there are a bunch of assholes charging like, 80 bucks.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Places rented Working Designs games? O_o

That said, the sequel has to be played also.

I wish I could recommend Elemental Gearbolt, but that game has to be played with a lightgun.

Not just because it's better, but because it's impossible to beat otherwise.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    just like all Thunder Force games kick ass.

LewieP on
    edited January 2008

TheSonicRetard on
    edited January 2008
    Places rented Working Designs games? O_o

I wish I could recommend Elemental Gearbolt, but that game has to be played with a lightgun.

Not just because it's better, but because it's impossible to beat otherwise.

My local Blockbuster had it and every time you rented it they placed a 20 dollar hold on your credit card (in this case my parent's credit card because I was ~15) because they rented you the hardbound book with it.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • thedude_frombaywatchthedude_frombaywatch Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    was legend of legia on PS1? Damn , that was an awesome game.

Great RPG.

I played that alot with my brother.

Legend of Legia

Remembering the PS1 is great because it was so awesome

thedude_frombaywatch on
    xbl tag: Dynamis King
    MineCraft: Menetherin
    Steam: Vloeza_SE++

edited January 2008
    was legend of legia on PS1? Damn , that was an awesome game.

Great RPG.

I played that alot with my brother.

Legend of Legia

Yeah that was the game with the rock, paper, scissor type combat system (maybe it was more high, medium, low), but either way it was cool.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
    edited January 2008

Hell fucking yes it was. I was never really enamored with the PS2, but the PSX was golden. It really earned the top spot, it was so great. Easily in the top 5 consoles of all time, IMO.

TheSonicRetard on
  • thedude_frombaywatchthedude_frombaywatch Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

When I was younger I never had the cash available to buy Lunar: SSSC, but I rented that thing EVERY FUCKING WEEKEND. Even after I beat it, I was renting that game just to play through again. Holy shit, this is the game I am getting. Like, now.

Yea, but it comes with some limited Painted world mat and a badass art book and some other stuff. I remember buying it when it came out. I never did get to unlock that bathing scene..

But whatever heh, the game was great

thedude_frombaywatch on
    xbl tag: Dynamis King
    MineCraft: Menetherin
    Steam: Vloeza_SE++

edited January 2008

Yea, but it comes with some limited Painted world mat and a badass art book and some other stuff. I remember buying it when it came out. I never did get to unlock that bathing scene..

I unlocked the bathing scene after powerleveling for about 10 hours just so I could barely scrape by with those fucking hard ass monsters. The girl bathing scene. The guy one was basically given to you. So gay.

Also, I got all the bromides. That was kind of fun.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
    edited January 2008

I unlocked the bathing scene after powerleveling for about 10 hours just so I could barely scrape by with those fucking hard ass monsters. The girl bathing scene. The guy one was basically given to you. So gay.

It would have been interesting to see how many 100% OCD people would have worked to get the guy bathing scene if it was just as hard as getting the girl one.

Kagera on
    edited January 2008

It would have been interesting to see how many 100% OCD people would have worked to get the guy bathing scene if it was just as hard as getting the girl one.

All it involved in the original was finding a bar of soap and the right spring(they were separated a good distance away from each other, if memory serves).

It wasn't animated or anything though, just a still.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited January 2008
    To kill the quote tree...

In the remake you had to battle your way through a ridiculously difficult forest. The reward was a still image that might have scrolled slightly with some laughter in the background like girls presumably do when they bathe with each other with lather covering all the right places.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
    edited January 2008
    How about that one game with Bruce Willis? Apocalypse. I loved that game.

Dashui on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I was fond of the first Croc game.
    Croc: Legend of the Gobbos. Good platformer..

Rizzi on
  • MonaroMonaro Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Hell fucking yes it was. I was never really enamored with the PS2, but the PSX was golden. It really earned the top spot, it was so great. Easily in the top 5 consoles of all time, IMO.

Same feeling as I have. Not sure why I loved the PSX so much more than PS2. My PSX library is my 3rd largest library behind Mega Drive an Master System libraries (though most of them were second hand this decade, whilst most PSX games were bought on release. Bah make it second largest then :P

Short list of some of my highlights from the PlayStation that could work well portably:

Racing:
    WipeOut XL/2097*
    Destruction Derby 2 or RAW

RPG:
    Alundra
    Final Fantasy Anthology/6/Chrono Trigger

Shooter:
    G-Police/G-Police 2**
    R-Type Delta

Platform:
    Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee/Exoddus
    Medievil

*Though last time I played it I had difficulty seeing, as the graphics had not aged well for such a fast game

**Quite rare and probably too dark for the small screen. Fucking fantastic games though. Wish they'd re imagine it on the PS3

Monaro on
    steam_sig.png