Options

ITT: (Some of us) Worship HL2

JellyMeetsJamJellyMeetsJam Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Games and Technology
So I played Half Life 2 when it came out. It drew me into its world and blew me away. It was and still is my favorite video game of all time. I didn't buy Episode One when it came out, but I recently bought the Orange Box. I just beat Episode One, and in my mind it continues the greatest game of all time (if you look at the extra episodes and the first game as one game). I've never cared as much for any character in a game or even movie as much as Alyx. I'm going to try and wait a little bit before having a crack at Episode Two so that I don't burn through them too fast, but suffice to say I'm exited.

I'm interested to hear everyone else's thoughts on the series so far. Am I stupid for thinking this is the greatest game of all time? Agree? Well I guess this thread should have some images so here it goes:
Halflife2_4.jpg
half-life-2-20041115111048369.jpg
half-life-2-20041115110932982.jpg
half-life-2-20041004102153060.jpg
half-life-2-20041115111116195.jpg
half-life-2-20041004102133575.jpg
half-life-2-episode-one-20060601044009785_640w.jpg
half-life-2-episode-one-20060601044015285_640w.jpg
half-life-2-episode-one-20060601044016551_640w.jpg
half-life-2-episode-one-20060601044029144_640w.jpg
half-life-2-episode-one-20060601044033534_640w.jpg
new-hl2-aftermath-screens-20060113063422480_640w.jpg
half-life-2-episode-one-20060601044000426_640w.jpg

JellyMeetsJam on

• Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm in love with Alyx. In the beginning of Episode One, right before you're to be thrown... just look at her eyes.

I melted...

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I hear the 360 version of Orange Box has a full HDR reworking of HL2 vanilla.

Is this ever gonna come to PCs? I know Valve loooong ago dismissed any hope saying it would be like a 6gig download but now its out there and actually been produced any chance? maybe?

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Regicid3 wrote: »
    I'm in love with Alyx. In the beginning of Episode One, right before you're to be thrown... just look at her eyes.

I melted...

You know, I'm starting to feel really awkward about having posted that pic for you. :P

subedii on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Half-life 2 did great things for interactive story-telling, facial animation, and scalable graphics engines in general... but I honestly don't think it was all that much fun to play. And that was at release. I personally felt the game was too long (The vehicle sections and Ravenholm in particular), and that the AI (both enemy and ally) was too simple to ever make the combat interesting.

I've always been a dissenting opinion on this one though.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    i'd be interested in hearing what people like about half-life 2 so much. i'm about 8 hours in at the moment and i struggle to make myself play it, though i feel obliged simply because it's a classic. the shooting's boring, the physics engine often feels dated (which hurts it a lot because it's the core behind a lot of the gameplay), and the environments are drab and uninteresting

and it has no story. no protagonist, no drive behind the narrative, no meaning. it's a firmly held gun or a floating crowbar hovering between outposts in a standard sci-fi dystopia. i don't know who i am, what i'm doing or why i should be doing it

i've been spoiled lately i know but i find it hard to see where all the hype and critical praise came from

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    One of the only times a game has made my jaw drop was in the opening level of Half-Life 2...
    Opening the door to the outside of City 17 was so magnificent, so stunning, so glorious. I had no idea my computer could even render graphics that spectacular without lag.

Black Ice on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    subedii wrote: »

I melted...

You know, I'm starting to feel really awkward about having posted that pic for you. :P

Uh...

:lol:

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The combat is archaic. They really need to do something about it, because we have been usin the same damn guns for a good 10 years now. They have no recoil, no specific hit direction, and the enemies just aren't that fun to fight.

The level design is pretty good though.

EDIT: Also, I hate the voice acting for most of the characters. It just seems so forced. The only good voices in the half life universe are barney and glados

wakkawa on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Good grief Half-Life 2? Come on, like there's anybody still interested in that franchise.
    Series still ranks highest for set-pieces as far as I'm concerned. CoD 4 came pretty damn close though!

HL2 didn't impact me quite like, say, experiencing the original's tram ride for the first time, but some of the scripted sequences near the end were pretty damn breathtaking.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The AI isn't that good, the combat isn't tight, and the vehicle sections blew, other than that yeah.

Edit: And Alyx isn't a good character.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Pharezon...

Don't... Don't say that...

Ever... AGAIN!

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I bought the game when it first game out on the PC, but I could never get into it. Picked up the Orange Box for 360 and forced myself to play through the whole thing, and it made me a huge fan. Yes, the games have their issues but for me it's probably the most immersive shooter experience I've ever had. I just feel like I'm in the world, with those characters.

I even talk to myself as if I were actually there commenting on the scenarios. It's a little weird cause I don't typically do that too much when playing games.

But yes, it's pretty awesome. And so is Alyx.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Pharezon...

Ever... AGAIN!

I'm not really a fan of Half-life 2... but I agree with Reg. Alyx was, and is, awesome.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Pharezon...

Ever... AGAIN!

What part? The AI isn't very good? The Combat wasn't tight? The vehicle sections sucked? Oh you mean Alyx is a horrible character and I was sad that she came back in Episode 2?

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I found alyx kinda annoying in a "stop fucking following me, you are useless" kind of way.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The end of Episode 1 was awesome.

Also the part in episode 2 where
    You're being chased in the antlion tunnels by that green antlion guard. That was perfect, I always just barely made it, shitting my pants as the galloping got closer and closer.

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Conf1.jpg

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I bought and played the first Half-Life and hated it - I was firmly on the side of Doom 3 during the big Doom 3/Half-Life 2 fan-debates. I preordered i]The Orange Box[/i] on Steam purely so I could play Team Fortress 2 (and participate in the beta, natch) and decided to give HL2 a go. I love it. It's a tremendous amount of fun, it's challenging, and I care about the characters. The last game I played where the characters actually mattered to me was Resident Evil 2 on the PC, but the events of HL2 are important in a way that RE2 never was. It's incredible.

I re-purchased the Half-Life 1 Collection, and I eagerly await the release of Black Mesa Source (which, let's be honest, is going to take a hojillion years). I feel like such a tool for passing up HL2 when it first came out. It's a landmark title, and although the physics do feel dated it doesn't bother me at all. Such a fantastic game.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I only played through the whole HL2 series recently, and all of them are pretty sweet. HL2 was a little long and i was getting real tired of it by the time I got to the prison section, but I kept playing and it was totally worth it for the ending stretch. Episode 1 was pretty good, but all in all I thought there was too much action and not enough quirky cut scenes, the opening and ending were awesome. Episode 2 was just plain fucking great. It constantly switched things up and felt fresh to the very end. And with that ending I really want the next episode out, now.

EDIT: And Alyx is a kick ass character, but her cheeriness gets on my nerves. Do you really have to smile all the time and give me a hearty "Good job, Gordon!" after every bloody thing I do? I'd like her more if she gave a subtle nod and a "let's go".

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    ...the characters actually mattered...the events of HL2 are important...It's incredible.

Exactly.

edit: If Alyx annoys you, the problem is there is a gaping vortex where your heart should be.

JellyMeetsJam on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    ...the characters actually mattered...the events of HL2 are important...It's incredible.

Exactly.

edit: If Alyx annoys you, the problem is there is a gaping vortex where your heart should be.

nope I have a heart. I just hate her with an extreme passion.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    PuddingSenatorPuddingSenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So we've now entered a point in time where it's cool to hate on HL2? That's fun and all I guess. I suppose it's always trendy to dislike something that is universally beloved, but I have no doubt in my mind that HL2 will go down as one of the all-time classics. It has it's flaws like anything else, and you can nitpick and bitch about those all you want, but there's no denying that this game was a fantastic experience.

PuddingSenator on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    So we've now entered a point in time where it's cool to hate on HL2? That's fun and all I guess. I suppose it's always trendy to dislike something that is universally beloved, but I have no doubt in my mind that HL2 will go down as one of the all-time classics. It has it's flaws like anything else, and you can nitpick and bitch about those all you want, but there's no denying that this game was a fantastic experience.

I dunno bad combat and AI seem like pretty big flaws even for the time it was released. There is no denying it was a good story experience though.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Bad A.I? You fight zombies, giant bugs, and the combine (who probably can't see shit in those stuffy helmets).

As for friendlies? Their game is simply off because they are in the presence of the mighty Gordon Freeman.

Oh, and I vote DOG as the coolest robot in anything evar.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Not true. Half-life 2 did some great things, but the core gameplay does not hold up, even by 2004 standards. At least in my (and apparently, others) opinion. Notice how everyone who didn't like Half-life 2 (except maybe Pharezon) wasn't being a cock about it?

Evangir on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I pretty much almost cried when
    Alyx got stabbed in Episode 2

I do believe I shouted "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" at my screen a la Vader.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Your spoiler tag failed!

Edit: and has been fixed. good show

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

i don't 'hate it because it's trendy', i find it boring because of the poor narrative and tiring, unexciting gameplay

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Dammit Khavall, fix your fucking spoiler. I haven't played Episode 2 yet.

Evangir on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Evangir wrote: »

Not true. Half-life 2 did some great things, but the core gameplay does not hold up, even by 2004 standards. At least in my (and apparently, others) opinion. Notice how everyone who didn't like Half-life 2 (except maybe Pharezon) wasn't being a cock about it?

It was intentional :P

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Dammit that's the second time I've confused spoilers and quotes. At least I fixed it reasonably fast.

Damn internet moves too damn fast I tell you.

Khavall on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    I pretty much almost cried when
    Alyx got stabbed in Episode 2

I do believe I shouted "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" at my screen a la Vader.

I did precisely the same thing. I also agree with the sentiment that HL2 is more of a story experience than a pure gameplay experience, and I'm okay with that.

The ending of EP2 is kind of crazy and awesome from a gameplay standpoint, and really got me pumped up, but I wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much without the story and everything that was at stake.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    bsjezz wrote: »
    and it has no story. no protagonist, no drive behind the narrative, no meaning. it's a firmly held gun or a floating crowbar hovering between outposts in a standard sci-fi dystopia. i don't know who i am, what i'm doing or why i should be doing it

I can understand Steam's methods for plot-conveying, and it's something that is pulled right out of the original game. HL1 was kinda difficult to follow, especially after we had cut our teeth on so many games that were laden with cutscenes that told the story for us, but you could glean the facts out of the occasional NPCs. In HL1 you at worst had a vague idea of what you were trying to accomplish at any given point. It's one of HL2's bigger weak points that the plot isn't as well conveyed to the player. For one thing, the second game has an entirely different feeling. It's less like a sci-fi movie and more like 1984 with guns, so it can be confusing right off the bat. That, and the voices are usually much too quiet and blend in with environmental noises, so you lose the plot-related details unless you've got your speakers cranked.

Most of us, it seems, just didn't let that bother us. Half-Life is supposed to play like an action movie, so I at least thought it somewhat understandable if the plot was veiled. The game is just outright fun to play, provided it's on Hard, which allows for the biggest window of opportunity for AI stupidity and gloat-worthy stunts. It was even better in the original and its big mods (Blue Shift/Opposing Force). "Okay, I'm cornered in a room with little cover, limited ammo and low health and there's a fuckton of soldiers and aliens scouting me out - can I pick 'em all off with the pistol? While dodging grenades?" If you've done something like this, it's just that which is the fun of Half-Life.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

I'm not sure trendy is the right word. The majority of this thread is positive.

JellyMeetsJam on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I loved HL2, but the episodes just don't add enough to be worth it. No new weapons or real gameplay advancements, the plot still moves slower than molasses on crutches, I'm getting the feeling that they're never going to explain the G-man, and I'm just plain losing my interest in the series.

Darlan on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The only fantastic experience I got from HL2 was the games that would follow based on its engine.

The enemies are boring, repetitive and not diverse at all. Oh look, it's the zombie area. Oh look the combine are here. Oh look fucking ant lions. Seldom if ever do you see them together and I felt pretty much the same from the 1st combine I kill to when I dispatched my 1000th one. Vehicles are dull, rickety and difficult to control. The story and dialog is bland, unimaginative and left the same taste in my mouth as licking an ashtray. It essentially boils down to Seinfeld only with aliens, without the funny and a pinch of twilight zone elements. I have to admit, I am a little biased after Deus Ex set the bar higher for my expectations, then again, I was never big on single player fpses. Mostly because of what I just mentioned. In this day and age, to have a protagonist have no viable dialog whatsoever is inexcusable with the advent of optical media. Hell, most developers now a days can do with 1 game to tell a worthwhile story. Not deal with this evanescent episodic bullshit.

Fucking Jar Jar has more back story then Half Life 2.

Meiz on
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm curious about what people don't like about the gameplay. The thing I've always loved about the HL games is that most of their creative effort seems to go into mixing things up.

Like... to all the people that dislike HL2:
    Please give me an example of a game with gameplay that isn't boring. I want to see if there's a rational explanation for all this.

Remington on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I am starting to get a little uncomfortable because I can suck it up when a game is pretty bad in one area or another if I can just have fun.

Come on, you people are telling me you didn't have fun cheating with the gravity gun? I skipped an entire area of Ravenholm by building me a staircase of exploding barrels. For a personal highlight, after rushing through ravenholm and the way out, and enjoying that fresh air and suddenly thinking, oh right, Alien cyborgs with guns.

I dunno, I guess i just roleplay more when i play games, I try to get in character and feel like that is me doing this shit, I am the guy with the MIT education (no that does not mean we get Will Smith in a movie version, although I Am Legend probably added more to that racket), I am the guy that just picked up a combine soldier and LAUNCHED him through a dozen of his buddies.

And the atmosphere of the beginning, if someone could come up with a game to capture that moment, with the silent antagonist with no guns and have him work through a larger area like that, *SQUIRT X 3*

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Half Life 2 is a wonderful, wonderful game and anyone who doesn't like it can suck my dick.

(if it makes you feel better, I'd probably ask you to suck my dick even if you didn't like it)

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Come on, you people are telling me you didn't have fun cheating with the gravity gun? I skipped an entire area of Ravenholm by building me a staircase of exploding barrels. For a personal highlight, after rushing through ravenholm and the way out, and enjoying that fresh air and suddenly thinking, oh right, Alien cyborgs with guns.

That's how I derive most of my fun from these games. In that one part in Nova Prospekt with the sideways-H shaped room where you have to set up turrets to hold off the Combine until Alyx comes...well, I've related it once here already, but making a wall of crates to keep out the majority of invaders while watching your little death-machines plug the remnants is the most rewarding thing ever on Hard, especially when you struggled through it regularly on Normal.

Silvoculous on