As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Finish Deus Ex: Why do these scientists know all the passwords?

ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Games and Technology
Let's Play: Deus Ex

deusex-top.jpg

So, everyone here seems to love Deus Ex but no seems to have done a LP of it that I could find (probably out of fear of getting lynched for fucking it up, which I will probably do in a spectacular fashion) so I thought I'd have a shot at it. But first, for the few heathens that have no idea what Deus Ex is, a little history:

The game was released in 2000 for the PC and later ported to the PS2 in 2002. Set in a dystopian world during the 2050s, the central plot follows rookie United Nations Anti-Terrorist Coalition agent JC Denton, as he sets out to combat terrorist forces, which have become increasingly prevalent in a world slipping ever further into chaos. As the plot unfolds, Denton becomes entangled in a deep and ancient conspiracy, encountering fictional recreations of organizations such as Majestic 12, the Illuminati, and the Hong Kong Triads throughout his journey.

So who will we meet during this exciting adventure?

JCDenton.jpg

This is us, JC Denton. Fresh to UNATCO, he's here to kick ass and take names. He also likes to wear sunglasses at night.
JCKillswitch.jpg

Deserted after killing every member of security in UNATCO, half of the New York police department and several MiBs. What a Badass

PaulDenton.jpg

Paul Denton, our brother and the first augmented agent at UNATCO. He's a pacifist and probably a vegetarian. To spite him, we'll see if we can find any puppies to kill.
PaulKillswitch.jpg

Deserted with JC. Also a badass.

JosephManderley.jpg

This is Manderley, our boss. He gives us orders, pays us and lets us rig the soda machine to give out orange soda instead of lemon-lime. Oh JC you prankster.
ManderleyDead.jpg

There are some things a GEP gun can't fix. Manderley was not one of these things.

AnnaNavarre.jpg

This is Anna. She's a cyborg. She's a fucking bitch. She takes out her aggression that JC is better than her in every possible way by killing terrorists. JC takes out his aggression by playing Duke Nukem Forever.
AnnaNavarreKIA.jpg

Killed in Mission 3 Part 2 for being a colloasal bitch and doubting JCs status as 'awesome incarnate'

GuntherHermann.jpg

This is Gunther, our other mentally challenged cyborg friend. He likes big guns and dead terrorists.

180px-AlexJacobson.jpg

This is Alex, he's the voice inside our head (No, not the one telling us to burn things) that will give us information. Basically, he's our resident Tech Geek.
AlexDeserted.jpg

He deserted because I would have killed him otherwise.

180px-JaimeReyes-1.jpg

This is Jaime (I'll be making fun of how you pronounce his name later) and he's our doctor. He helps us shove chunks of stuff into our body to make us kill things better.

SamCarter.jpg

This is Sam Carter. He gives us the exploding sticks that makes the peoples fall down.

JaniceReed.jpg

This is Janice Reed. She's Manderley's secretary and she's also a bitch. I swear all the women in this game have a huge stick shoved up their collective asses. Maybe I'll shove a slightly sharper stick up there as company.
JaniceDead.jpg

She didn't even get a snappy line of dialogue. She got what she deserved, utter disdain and merciless death.

Smuggler.jpg

The Smuggler is our friend. He sells us weapons. Good weapons, weapons that make JC a very happy person. Is The Smuggler, in reality, Santa? Only time and certain illegal interrogation techniques will tell.

(All Character Bios from now on are spoilered. I'm assuimg new people are gonna watch this, maybe not.)

Chapter 2 Characters
TracerTong.jpg

Tracer Tong is awesome, despite his wtf face. He gives us cool stuff, stops our killswitch, gives us a base and probably orders us whores on the weekend.

This will be a video LP but that might change depending on how well this goes. I'll be letting you guys make some of the decisions on what to do (The game is full of choices and I'm not against playing differently than I normally would). I'm also not sure how big each update should be, whether I should blast out huge chunks or try and keep each video short. Either way, give me some feedback after the initial video:

Thanks to Lork for linking me to Vimeo, much better quality video.

Chapter 1 - NEW YOOOOOORK NEW YOOOOOOOOOORK

Introduction: Let's get some training! (Google Mirror)

Mission 1 - Liberty Island: Paul can go to hell for this non-lethal shit. (Google Mirror

Intermission 1: UNATCO HQ: He got Lemon-Lime! (Google Mirror)

Mission 2 Part 1 - Battery Park: Fuck pacifism. (Google Mirror)

Let's Play Deus Ex - Bonus 1: Rocket Castration and Not-so-Friendly Fire

Mission 2 - Part 2: If this is Hell's Kitchen then I'm the goddamn chef. (Google Mirror)

Mission 2 - Part 3: Ladders that do not go anywhere close to heaven.

Intermission 2 - UNATCO HQ: Things aren't right here... (Vimeo Mirror)

Bonus 2: The greatest democracy the world has ever known! (Vimeo Mirror)

Mission 3 - We debate the ethics of gangs and drug dealers.

Mission 3 - Part 2: Catching a Plane to pain.

Intermission 3: I think they're hoping we catch bird flu.

This isn't China...

Chapter 2 - China is so racist

Jailbreak

I swear to god this better be Hong Kong.

What do you mean 'Fetch Quest'?

Schwing!

VersaDeath (Oho, Puns!)

VersaLife 2: Electric Boogaloo

Return to Escape from New York with a Vengeance!

KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Night of the Not-So-Living-Dead

Here we mark the death of Stage6. R.I.P Noble Website, you served us well.

Chapter 3 - <Insert Joke about Wine/Cheese/Frogs/White Flags here> aka Paris - The City That Never Bathes.

I Hope You Like Brown Part 2

I Need a French Hooker and Some Zyme.

Looking for Some Cheap Hookers

You lost your virginity WHERE?!

Though I Walked Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death...

...I Fear No Evil...

What's a Deus Ex?

60% of the game's major black characters are in this area.

I died more the first time

PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
Italax on

• Options
    themocawthemocaw Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Fuck yeah! Bluedotted, baby.

themocaw on
  • Options
    mr weenismr weenis Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    we are watching your career with great anticipation, or something

seriously, im excited about this

mr weenis on
    Nickle wrote: »
    972 dicks is a lot of dicks. :(
  • Options
    NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Blue dot!

Also, most pictures in the OP seem to be not working.

Noray on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I'll rehost them and fix that then.

EDIT: Ok, they should work now.

Italax on
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    aight, I'm interested in where this goes. Best of luck.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Damn, I wanted to do this when I had some more free time. I suppose I could always do Invisible War.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Oh man, I just tried to record the opening mission. I got as far as the first enemy who proceeded to 1-shot me right off the bat. It was ok because I forgot my mic but holy shit, I died to the first enemy. Also, about the poor video quality, does anyone have any tips? I'm using fraps atm and recording at anything but half-sizw will lag the video to hell.

Italax on
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Why does Jaime look like a midget in that picture? That is seriously freaking me out.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    HazzHazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Okay, yes.

Hazz on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Man I can't believe we haven't had a LP of this amazing game yet.

Australian++ by the way. :)

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I got this game on the free dvd-rom that came with PC Gamer a long time ago, but never installed it. After watching about 10 minutes of this video i'm now furiously searching for it. Thanks a lot. :x
    <3

I'll catch up with the videos after I play a bit. Thanks for doing this.

Aistan on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Fantastic video. I will definitely be keeping up with this one.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The models remind me of Half Life. I've always wanted to try this from all the hype I've heard, but never had a chance.

I'll have to remember to watch the videos when I'm at a library so I can abuse their DSL.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    The models remind me of Half Life. I've always wanted to try this from all the hype I've heard, but never had a chance.

I'll have to remember to watch the videos when I'm at a library so I can abuse their DSL.

Well, it's on Steam.

august on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I'm uploading now, holy fucking shit. 4 tries, many deaths and I had to drag my mangled body to the commander. That was a trainwreck of an attempt, I have no idea why I screwed up so bad. Hopefully it makes it more entertaining.

EDIT: I'M GONNA FUCKING KILL SOMEONE I FORGOT THE MIC ON MY PLAYTHROUGH OADF9GYUARWGPAYIREWHOGK OH FUCK YOU

Uh, I'll have to rerecord my commentary and put it over the top. This will delay the update. I'm gonna go and slit my wrists now. I am so annoyed. Has anyone got a good program for just recording audio, I'm gonna need it to get the hours worth I missed.

Italax on
  • Options
    IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Just use the one included for free with windows. As long as you have a good mic, the quality is good.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Every single game of Deus Ex I see, the skin picked is the Latino one. Must be those dusky Latin charms that make it preferable to the albino skin. Nobody picks the albino.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Italax wrote: »
    I'm uploading now, holy fucking shit. 4 tries, many deaths and I had to drag my mangled body to the commander. That was a trainwreck of an attempt, I have no idea why I screwed up so bad. Hopefully it makes it more entertaining.

EDIT: I'M GONNA FUCKING KILL SOMEONE I FORGOT THE MIC ON MY PLAYTHROUGH OADF9GYUARWGPAYIREWHOGK OH FUCK YOU

Uh, I'll have to rerecord my commentary and put it over the top. This will delay the update. I'm gonna go and slit my wrists now. I am so annoyed. Has anyone got a good program for just recording audio, I'm gonna need it to get the hours worth I missed.

the open source program audacity is what I use
    you can find it at sourceforge

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Ohtsam wrote: »

the open source program audacity is what I use
    you can find it at sourceforge

Yea, I used that. Also realised that my hard drive maxed out near the end of recording. So there's gonna be a jump from parts. This entire video has been a mess, my next one will suck less I promise. I'll upload it tomorrow.

Italax on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Looks like someone's gonna have to glue you back together in hell!

... I'm so sorry.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Aistan wrote: »
    I got this game on the free dvd-rom that came with PC Gamer a long time ago, but never installed it. After watching about 10 minutes of this video i'm now furiously searching for it. Thanks a lot. :x

You poor fool! Play it now, now, now! And yeah, be careful about what you read in this thread, DX has one of the best game plots and it would be a shame to spoil it.

Oh, and don't feel forced to always do the obvious thing. The programmers were genious and programmed a very durable plot into the game. There are a lot of things you can do in the game that are far from obvious, which can have far reaching effects, from how characters react to you to who lives and who dies. Even exploiting game bugs to keep characters who are supposed to die alive will change things. Here are a few minor examples from the first level:

(Minor spoiler for the first stage):
    A lot depends on how violent you are. When you run into some guards, they complain about being ordered not to kill terrorists. If you claim that you're going to mow them down, they'll give you some help. If you kill all the terrorists in your way, some characters will be pleased and some will be angry (you can probably guess who)

There's a friendly agent captured by terrorists. You can rescue him and give him a gun, and he'll spread the word about how great you are. You can rescue him but refuse to arm him and tell him to hide, he'll spread the word that you're a glory hog. You can ignore his cell and he'll claim you abandoned him. You can sneak in, accomplish your objective, and leave without killing a single guard, and he'll *really* rip into you when he finally gets rescued.

At HQ, you can sneak into the woman's restroom and get caught. You get bitched at by the woman and later your commander, and word starts to spread around HQ that you're a perv.

None of these are particularly impressive, I just wanted to drive home that just because the game says "Do X to accomplish Y" You can do Z to accomplish Y, or do W to accomplish V, and the game script is usually durable enough to react to it. I missed so much cool stuff on my first playthrough because I just blindly followed orders and ignored everything else.

Bremen on
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh Jesus.

This is gonna be one complex Lets Play. You better get video working right because if you plan on taking screenshots you're fucked.

*EDIT*
    Oh yeah, and good luck. Make sure to explore the ladies rest room for me.

Remington on
  • Options
    Ghandi 2Ghandi 2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The theme song still makes me giddy. Nice job so far.

And if it makes you feel better, no matter what you do your LP will be better than this one.

Ghandi 2 on
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ghandi 2 wrote: »
    The theme song still makes me giddy. Nice job so far.

And if it makes you feel better, no matter what you do your LP will be better than this one.

But... but... it has ghost in the shell music!

Which is oddly appropriate, when you think about it. They have lots of similarlities.

Bremen on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Ok, I'm uploading now but this is really bad. I'm so sorry, the next video will not suck this hard, I promise. The audio is a little quiet (Also at certain point my speech impediment shows up really badly, which is annoying but I can't do anything about that :/) but the music isn't loud anyway. If I sound like I can't be bothered at the start, it's because I was recording this audio after 3 hours of playing and it was 2AM. I'm going to make a fun list of everything that went wrong with this recording so you can laugh at me and my stupidity.

1) I died to the security bot on my first attempt. I also forgot the record the mic.
    2) I died to the first enemy you meet from a point blank headshot.

Now for everything that went wrong with the video I show here:

3) I died to the enemy in the bunker in one hit because i timed my stun rod wrong.
    4) I miss the enemy on the ledge inside the statue and trigger all the guards on the ground floor to attack me, who take out my legs and force me to crawl the rest of the mission
    5) Fraps records really large videofiles, so my Hard Drive got filled just before I rescued Gunther.
    6) I forgot to record audio for the video I did get.
    7) The rerecorded audio for the first 2 thirds of the video is kinda quiet.

So yea, really sorry about this and I promise the next video will be better. We're getting into the good part of the game anyway. My quicksave is working anyway, so that will save me a lot of pain.

Also:
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Every single game of Deus Ex I see, the skin picked is the Latino one. Must be those dusky Latin charms that make it preferable to the albino skin. Nobody picks the albino.

I was seriously considering picking the albino. Hell, at one point I was planning on calling JC 'Ghost', picking the Albino model and running through the the Chinese stages with a sword yelling "FOR WINTERFELL!" every time I killed someone.

EDIT: Google Video is processing it now. No idea how long that takes.

Italax on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Here we go, 1 hour of me fucking up:

Mission 1 - Liberty Island: Paul can go to hell for this non-lethal shit.

I'll leave the Augs up to you guys. The only exception will be regeneration, which I'm getting to matter what any of you say. So we have a choice between stronger melee attacks and the ability to lift heavy objects. Tell me soon so I can do the next update.

Italax on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Intermission 1: UNATCO GQ: He got Lemon-Lime!

Next time: Castle Clinton

I'll try and do this the stealthy route to get extra dialogue with Paul and Anna. Also, you bastards are sick so I'll show you that you can in fact kill a starving child in this game. With a rocket launcher.

Italax on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I wonder what historical figure Castle Clinton was named for .... hmmm.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Narration is awesome, Italax. You remind me of SomeBloke who shoutcasts Company of Heroes replays.

"Oh yeah, I like throwing stuff at people."

"What are you doing? I don't understand."

"I'm throwing stuff at you."

:lol::lol::lol:

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    freelancepolicefreelancepolice Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    On visiting New York I insisted we visit castle Clinton so I could see where I got the key from Harvey in real life and so you know give that kid some candy, mace him and chuck him in the water.
    (only after getting the key code :o)

freelancepolice on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StupornautStupornaut Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I can understand why a lot of people love this game, even though there's a couple things (mostly its ridiculous voice acting and general ugliness -- not a "lol old grafix effects" ugliness, but from a design sense) that kept me from going apeshit over it when I bought it recently. Still, I'm looking forward to this, since maybe it'll convince me to gloss over those flaws and enjoy the whole do-whatever freedom the next time I pick it up.

Stupornaut on

Stupornaut.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    On visiting New York I insisted we visit castle Clinton so I could see where I got the key from Harvey in real life and so you know give that kid some candy, mace him and chuck him in the water.

I'm gonna do worse than mace him.

Italax on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

I'm gonna do worse than mace him.

I gave him the candy, stabbed him in the neck and threw him off the pier.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I wish I had Deus Ex.
    :(

Rizzi on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Rizzi wrote: »
    I wish I had Deus Ex.
    :(

Steam... ?

august on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    God DAMNIT Italax.

You made me install it for the 7th time in 3 months.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I had 2 months at work with about 5 hours downtime each day, I played Deus Ex 4 times back to back over that period.

I can't even look at the game now I'm that sick of it. I hope I didn't ruin it.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This fucking game, I always get a bit further than
    Paul dying or not depending
    and then something catastrophic never fails to happen to prevent me playing it. One time my hard disk died, the most recent time someone nicked my disk and the crack didn't work because I had the HD shit on there. I really want to finish it but I'm almost certain I never will.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    ZanteZante Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    emnmnme wrote: »

Yeah, I wish the albino was chosen. He's kind of cool. I actually half want to install the game again just to choose the albino, except you hardly ever see JC anyway.

Zante on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    don't you see JC every time he talks to anybody

LaCabra on