As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend me some military fps's

Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
Well, I beat CoD4 a while ago on my 360, and it was good, and I'm still enjoying the hell outta multiplayer, but I've still got the urge to kill some folks in service of my country (or, well, any country really). So I need some recommendations for good military fps's on the 360, preferably with a decent single player campaign.

I've played the first hour or so of R6:Vegas and liked it, so it's definitely on the list. I've heard both GRAW games are good (but should I get the first one first or skip straight to the second?), but after that I'm kind of at a loss. Looking around I see that their are a lot of military-esqe fps's on the 360, and I was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with any others and could recommend either picking them up or skipping, stuff like MOH: Airbourne, that new Soldier of Fortune, or that America's Army game, or anything else.

Inglorious Coyote on

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Battlefield 2 or 2142 are good. I like 2142. I am the only person on these forums who does, but I never played BF2 so I don't get the whole "It's just BF2 all over again".

Khavall on
  • Options
    Something WittySomething Witty Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Are you looking for just straight modern military realistic shooters or are you good with sci-fi or anything of that sort? Because beyond the CoD games and the Clancy games I really can't think of anything good. From what I've heard MoH Airbourne is a steaming tird but if you're one of those people who still like WWII shooters I'd wait out for the new Brothers In Arms. Or you could just pick up CoD2 if your in the mood for some nazi killing. Avoid CoD3 though, that game just isn't worth it.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    Battlefield 2 or 2142 are good. I like 2142. I am the only person on these forums who does, but I never played BF2 so I don't get the whole "It's just BF2 all over again".

I like 2142 as well, don't worry. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    MOH: Airbourne, that new Soldier of Fortune, or that America's Army game, or anything else.

Those games range from mediocre to bad. Try to find a copy of Operation Flashpoint. Or hold out for the sequel.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    Something WittySomething Witty Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Americas Army on the 360 is exactly like GRAW 2. Seriously everything about it is the same except that it doesnt have as much customisation, there isnt as much polish, and AA is just a giant recruitment ad.

I'm just judging off of the demo so feel free to correct me.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Operation Flashpoint on the xbox was awful wasn't it. If you want a realistic PC FPS then I'd reccomend Operation Flashpoint too.

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    MOH: Airborne is one of my favorites in that series, but it's not a very realistic game. It's much more arcadey and fast paced than you may be looking for. Think the Arcade Mode in COD4.

Both of the GRAW games are fantastic. The second one immediately follows the plot of the first, so if you start with number two the plot may feel a little underwhelming.

ArmA on the PC is the successor to the Operation Flashpoint games, and it's pretty neat, if PC gaming is your thing.

Avoid the new Soldier of Fortune. It's a lame game made on the slightly creaky Call of Duty 2 Engine, literally of the "Kill Guys, Find Key, Open Door, Kill Boss" variety. It has bosses that look like normal enemies but just have a massive amount of hit points. That sounds kind of cool in a weird way, but it really isn't at all. I made the mistake of buying it, and although I had fun with it for a couple hours, it just wasn't worth it in the end.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    ThrustinJThrustinJ Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I liked SOCOM II. I'm still working through III occasionally.

Using the headset to do the voice commands usually works really well.

EDIT: Oh. 360 games. Nevermind.

ThrustinJ on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Does EDF2017 count? Because get EDF2017

bruin on
  • Options
    Nitsuj82Nitsuj82 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm in the same boat as the OP. I used to hate FPSs on consoles, as I was a strict PC gamer. After college though, I know play ONLY consoles and own a Mac.

I'm pretty interested in GRAW, GRAW2, and R6: Vegas. But I never even looked at Flashpoint. I'll be staying tuned to this thread.

Nitsuj82 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Nitsuj82.png
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh god, Operation Flashpoint. I remember buying the PC version on a whim back when it came out, and it's pretty much the most realistic military FPS game I've ever played.

Now when I say "realistic", I say that from the perspective of an old, out-of-shape dude who's never even picked up a gun, let alone served in the military.

Playing Operation Flashpoint gave me an idea of what it'd be like if I got plunked down in the middle of a war zone: Long bouts of slow trudging through the woods that mixed fear and boredom, punctuated by panicked, wildly-inaccurate attempts at trying to shoot at something in the distance, followed almost immediately by me having my head blown open.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, for only the 360 (no PC), the clancy games are pretty much your only option

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    GRAW2 = Fantastic. I really really loved this game. Never played it online. Had one of the most organic feels to it of any game I've played.

RB6 = Not quite as good but still a lot of fun. I have it on PS3 and the online quality sucks balls, I'm told it's better on 360 though.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Operation Flashpoint 2 is coming out soon for the 360

1177020608qn1.jpg

I fucking loved Operation Flashpoint. I will fucking love Operation Flashpoint 2.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Wait a sec...I played Flashpoint on my PC years ago. I agree that it can be avoided.

Nitsuj82 on
    Nitsuj82.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Nitsuj82 wrote: »
    Wait a sec...I played Flashpoint on my PC years ago. I agree that it can be avoided.

I guess it's not for everyone. It's not an action game, it's not what you could call a First Person shooter. It's pretty much as much a soldier sim as you're likely to get. Combat is often brutal and punishingly unfair on one side or another depending on how you do things, and just plain on how things go.

But when you get into it, it's really loads of fun.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I do remember that it had a good sniper setup.

Nitsuj82 on
    Nitsuj82.png
  • Options
    ValernosValernos Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    For the 360, don't forget backwards compatible Oxbox games. I'll Recommend Ghost Recon 2 Summit Strike. My friends and I had a blast playing multiplayer against the computer.

Valernos on
  • Options
    Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm not sure on Operation Flashpoint 2, with a different developer I fear it may lose the realism but, if it doesn't I'll be happy! If only ArmA worked well...

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
  • Options
    Bouncing_SoulBouncing_Soul Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I remember going to buy Flashpoint when it came out, and the guy at ebgames or whatever it was asked me if I was sure that I wanted it because it was "complicated".

Bouncing_Soul on
    Umlauf.gif
    Buy some useless stuff at my Cafepress site!
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If you don't mind it being on the PC, I too would recommend Operation: Flashpoint. It is old and extremely ugly at this point, but it's still the best mixed unit military simulation out there. It manages to be a realistic infantry simulation, tank simulation (not to mention all the other wheeled vehicles you can drive), and helicopter simulation, and throw them all into the game in a convincing and compelling manner.

It is by no means an exciting game, though. The missions often throw you into combat, but the combat tends to be led up to by slow and boring patrols or long rides to the combat zone in an APC with nothing to do and no interesting dialogue to listen to like you might find in a modern set piece oriented game. Op:Flash doesn't try to present you with incredible set pieces or exciting battles or non-stop action. It doesn't even expect you to always succeed in a mission.

And then there's a great mod community which I believe is still active so when you've finished with the main campaign, there's a butt load of available scenarios and campaigns for you to download, many of them of extremely high quality.

And if you want, you can get into it yourself. It's surprisingly easy to learn and the utilities the game comes with are very accessible and easy to use and the scripts that drive the scenarios and cutscenes are both simple and very versatile and you can do some really impressive things with very little experience and practice.

If you really want something more modern and better looking and also on the 360, you can't go wrong with the GRAW games either. They aren't perfect (coming back to them, I always, always hate the controls) and they're short, but they are good military themed games. They're a lot more exciting than Op:Flash too. And start with the first one. The two play almost identically and it helps to be familiar with the story from the first.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg