Options

Replace motherboard due to missing hook for chipset heatsink?

splashsplash Registered User regular
My friend has been told by tech support that he needs to replace his motherboard for a miniATX Dell from about 3 years ago because he is missing one metal hook on the motherboard that forces the heatsink down on the chipset. The computer apparently can't run without the heatsink in place. It's the kind that looks like this but with two metal rods coming out that attach to the two hooks.

Somehow one day the hook must have come out and you can see where it started to get hot and burn off some white substance that was there and then detach completely. He found the heatsink lying somewhere else in the case but strangely could never find the broken hook. When he tried to run the computer it indicated the error of no chipset heatsink in place.

When he called Dell about this very small part they didn't seem to have any way of helping him.

1) Do you know of any solution to be able to replace the hook or able to buy a chipset heatsink that doesn't need to be forced down into place?

2) Does thermal or anything else also act like a glue to stick things in place? There's probably no way he can attach it with only one hook right?

3) Last resort: can the computer still be made to run without the heatsink?

Thank you

splash on

• Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It's dangerous running a motherboard without a chipset heatsink if the specific chipset on the motherboard runs hot enough. Irreversible damage will likely occur if he uses it that way.

Does the motherboard have holes where one can use screws? If so, he could try using screws and nuts to attach the heatsink to the motherboard.

He'll need to by some soft (ie plastic) non-conductive washers though, to make sure he doesn't bridge components and scrape off part of the PCB layering/protective skin.

And also, he would need to be careful not to overtighten, only a little bit is enough. It all depends on how fine or how steep the threading is on the screw.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    splashsplash Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I appreciate the help. I don't think there are any screw holes (must have been an oversight for motherboards at the time) but it's good to know what options there are or aren't.

splash on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think its like the dell tech said, your just screwed. Sorry man, sucks to hear about a problem like that.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    ya, I had that happen on someone's machine once. The thing would freeze within 5 minutes of booting without the heatsink chipset, and no way at all to attach a new one.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar