As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

tasty fish :]

devicesdevices Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Anyone have super good fish recipes?

Grilled preferably, but fried works too. :)

Any type of fish works, though i'm not partial to salmon...

Thanks in advance!

devices on

• starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Buy swordfish steaks (The kind shaped like a V with the spine still on it.) Cut between the skin and flesh on one of the sides. Fold the skin inside the gap of the steak and fold the other "arm" over that and put the extra skin over it to help partially secure it. Tie around it with some twine. You will have a swordfish medallion, basically. Then make an herb vinaigrette of your choice and baste it, then grill it. Apply sauce once more while cooking.

Wrap fish in foil with lemon and herbs, whatever else you like on fish. Bake in oven.

Get a thin fillet of white fish, pepper it, apply a thin layer of fresh Parmesan cheese. broil.

I can't really give cooking times or anything because all things cook differently and fish is pretty fickle. Also, most cuts are slightly different.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • LoafgoatLoafgoat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Maybe my tastes are just too simple but...

breading_original_pl_sm.jpg + walleye_small.gif = Delicious

Loafgoat on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Here's some of my favorites for grilling.

Take whatever fish you want, salmon, grouper, etc.

1/2 cup barbecue sauce
    1/8 cup moores or worcheshire sauce
    1 whole lemon (juice only)
    Black pepper (or cayenne, depending on your tastes)
    oregano (light)

Marinade the fish in this for an hour on each side in the fridge, then grill. USE A FISH BASKET ON THE GRILL. They sell them at grocery stores, and they're great for vegetables too, but buy one for each.

Fried Catfish
    2 cups buttermilk
    Flour
    Lemon (see above)
    Black Pepper

Dip the fish in the combination of milk, lemon, and black pepper. Add 1 tsb honey if you want to. Go from milk to flour, then to a heavy frying pan with a decent amount of oil. Don't go crazy though, it's not a deep fry, just browning the outsides and make sure the fish is white throughout the middle. The bottom of the fillet is going to have that greyish black look to it, but as long as the fish is white throughout it's done.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • SoggychickenSoggychicken Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I usually just season salmon with salt and pepper. Bake in oven and serve with lemon juice.

Basic but delicious.

Soggychicken on
  • AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I did Alton Brown's fried fish recipe a while back and it was delicious. I highly recommend it.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    4 salmon fillets, 5 to 6 oz each
    1/2 large orange, zest and juice only
    1/2 large lemon -- juice only
    Salt and pepper to taste
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 large garlic clove -- minced
    2 tablespoons butter -- melted

Directions

In a shallow dish large enough to hold the salmon, combine the juices salt and pepper. Add the salmon, turning to coat with the marinade. Let marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes, turning the fillets once.Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a shallow baking pan with aluminum foil and grease with a little of the melted butter.In a small dish, combine the orange zest, brown sugar, chili powder and minced garlic. Rub the marinated salmon with the brown sugar mixture. Place in the pan and drizzle with the remaining melted butter.Bake for 8 to 12 minutes. Cool and serve baked salmon.

soooo damn good.

Xaquin on
  • mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Nice cut of fish smothered in a szechuan sauce is pretty good too, baked in the oven for 15 min.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    I suggest baking as it doesn't dry out a fish like grilling can. Use olive oil and garlic salt.

LondonBridge on
  • mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I've never had trouble with my fish getting dry on the grill. Wrap that bad boy in foil to seal in the juices and flavor

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    good baked fish recipe, esp. when it's cold out: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_14180,00.html

sorry, don't have any grilled recipes, redder and meatier fishes tend to stand up to seasonings (peppercornb or crushed nut crustings) better than the more delicate white fish (i've ruined some really nice snapper just baking it with garlic and oil, the garlic totally overpowered it).

just don't leave it alone, take it off the heat when it's a little underdone. nothing's worse than overdone fish; you just cannot salvage it.

mahi-mahi in a slightly heavy tempura batter is nice.

having a good fish source is key. If you're not on the coast, then I'd recommend whole foods, or HEB central market. go in the mornings and have the guys pull stuff for you. be picky. don't get anything that smells fishy.

Djeet on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Djeet wrote: »
    good baked fish recipe, esp. when it's cold out: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_14180,00.html

sorry, don't have any grilled recipes, redder and meatier fishes tend to stand up to seasonings (peppercornb or crushed nut crustings) better than the more delicate white fish (i've ruined some really nice snapper just baking it with garlic and oil, the garlic totally overpowered it).

just don't leave it alone, take it off the heat when it's a little underdone. nothing's worse than overdone fish; you just cannot salvage it.

mahi-mahi in a slightly heavy tempura batter is nice.

having a good fish source is key. If you're not on the coast, then I'd recommend whole foods, or HEB central market. go in the mornings and have the guys pull stuff for you. be picky. don't get anything that smells fishy.

I can't lime this hard enough. If you live more than four or five hundred miles from a coast, don't just run to wal mart to pick up your fish. Find a good asian market or whole foods as listed above, and get stuff that's shipped fresh, and hasn't been sitting in a freezer for a few weeks longer than it should have.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • devicesdevices Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    just wanted to say thanks to everyone, you guys are a big help! :)

devices on
  • noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Good fresh fish, depending on thickness, 3 mins one side, 2 mins other.

Lemon squeezed over it..

Eat.

When you have bad fish, or frozen fish, you start doing fancy stuff.

noobert on
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    1) Get a tuna steak
    2) Add salt and pepper
    3) Heat a thick pan. I mean HEAT - high heat is important
    4) Add a tablespoon of olive oil
    5) Drop in tuna steak
    6) Cook for a minute and a half to two minutes
    7) Flip steak and repeat

Bam, good fish. Supposing you used a good piece to begin with, of course. And just a heads up if you like it super rare (which you better, because it's afreaking tuna steak) the fish will continue to cook slowly after you remove it from the head unless you slice it into thin pieces right away (which is what I do).

JihadJesus on
  • ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Classic fried fish recipe - works best with white fish.

Fry your fish in a pan with a little oil. When it's near-done, remove it from the pan. Deglaze the pan with white wine or vermouth, add some fish stock, butter and freshly chopped herbs (parsley, tarragon - something like that), and cook till combined. Don't overdo it, and don't let your fish get cold. Serve the fish, pour over the sauce.

Even better, buy a whole small fish (like garfish, whitebait, or whatever), oil and season it, and then grill it whole over a hot barbecue and serve with lemon-wedges. Fiddly, because of the bones, but absolutely delicious.

Also good - put your fillet on a large sheet of baking paper. Put a few thinly sliced vegetables with it, a few slices of lemon, some chopped fresh herbs, and a dash of white wine. Fold the paper over so that it forms a bag/package. Cook it in a pre-heated medium oven for about 15-20 min (depending on the fish, and the thickness of the fillet). Break open the bags to serve.

If you're frying a salmon fillet, keep the skin on. Pat the skin side of the fillet dry and season it liberally with salt. Then, oil the fillet (not the pan) and fry it off skin-side down at a very high temperature. It shouldn't take long. The skin gets really crisp and beautiful.

Also - lots of people tend to avoid delicate white fish and go straight for the meatier fish like salmon, tuna or swordfish. However, white fish tends to have a stronger flavour and is generally much cheaper. Don't be afraid of the less prestigious fishes. I'd ask your fishmonger what's fresh and get that, rather than trying to get one specific kind of fish that may not be that crash-hot.

Finally - to test if baked fish is done, pierce the thickest part with a knife. Touch the flat of the tip of the knife on your lip. If it's hot, the fish is cooked. A lot of fish can be served slightly underdone (or even pretty-much raw. Seared tuna is delicious!), but cheaper white fish tend to taste better when it's fully cooked. That said, don't over-cook your fish - especially if you're frying - it gets slightly rubbery and tends to fall apart.

Zsetrek on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If you're looking at buying whole fish I can recommend Tilapia. Out of all the fried fish I've had, tilapia is the only fish that doesn't lose its taste as much as catfish or other large freshwater fish.

Gut it, scale it, cut some slits on its side, batter it with salt, garlic or whatever you want, fry it until it is brown and crispy. Lemon and some hot sauce and you're in heaven.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My fiancee buys those whole Tilapia for like, $1.20 apiece at the local grocery and steams it with some slivered ginger root inside, and ummm, maybe some other stuff? I don't pay too much attention. I personally hate fish, but from what she and people who've tried that say, it's super good.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Tilapia is also an excellent choice because you can eat it more than once a week, unlike some other fish that can have high mercury contents or what have you.

You can just pan fry it in about a teaspoon of olive oil or butter, grind some fresh black pepper on it and call it a day. You can also coat it in flour and fry it up in a teaspoon of butter, yum.

I like to make a lemon garlic butter sauce for my tilapia. You fry the fish in a teaspoon of butter, then when the fish is almost done you add another teaspoon of butter so that it melts while the fish finishes cooking. Remove the fish from the pan and add a half teaspoon of minced garlic, a tablespoon of lemon juice and maybe some white wine if you're feeling saucy. Also any herbs you might take a shine to--I use thyme or cilantro or basil. Simmer that at low-medium heat for two-three minutes so that some of the liquid evaporates and the garlic flavor gets all up ins, then spoon the liquid over the fish. Add a sprinkle of parsley and voila.

Quoth on