As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Birthdays: How Do You Celebrate?

2»

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    I turn 21 exactly on Thanksgiving, 2008.
    I turned 22 on Thanksgiving, 2007.

Thats the day I turned 24.

Edit: I celebrate my birthday with a drink to Kennedy, and a shot for Oswald. Without those two, my birthday would be just another thanksgiving birthday.

As for parties and shit, I think the last time I did anything was maybe 4th grade. Oh, and there was my golden brithday where my wife (then gf) tried to get all my friends together for a surprise party only to realize that all my friends are actually her friends, I just happen to be around. I did get laid though.

Veevee on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I turned 21 on the Superbowl. Elkamil and I drank it up and watched the Seahawks get cheated out of their victory.

Quid on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    On my girlfriend's birthday three years ago, I celebrated by getting into a horrible automobile accident.

I was fine, but my car was almost totalled, some people (from the truck that slammed into me) had to go to the hospital for minor injuries, and a ~50 year old tree had to be removed from someone's yard when the truck killed it by swerving into it after smashing me. Also, I would have been completely dead if the timing were one or two seconds different.

But on the up side (down side?) I now drive slower and more cautiously than a crotchety old man.

Taximes on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    I turned 21 on the Superbowl. Elkamil and I drank it up and watched the Seahawks get cheated out of their victory.

I turned 21 on Easter, 2003. All of my friends went home for the holiday weekend and I had my first legal drink with my parents at my birthday lunch.

Talk about the let down for the ages.

My 25th birthday was awesome, though. We rode the Red Line all over Los Angeles and pub crawled for 8 hours straight.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    MKR wrote: »
    I turn 24 on February 29th. I will celebrate by congratulating myself for surviving another lap around the sun, and go back to doing whatever I was doing.

My roomie will also be celebrating her 6th birthday that day. You're twins!

LaOs on
  • Options
    JastJast Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    LaOs wrote: »
    I turn 24 on February 29th. I will celebrate by congratulating myself for surviving another lap around the sun, and go back to doing whatever I was doing.

You're roomates with a 5 year old? Parents kicked her out about 12 years early.
    Unless you mean 26.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Jast wrote: »
    LaOs wrote: »

You're roomates with a 5 year old? Parents kicked her out about 12 years early.
    Unless you mean 26.

She was quite the little hell-raiser.
    Leap Year baby... twenty-four. Feb. 29th only happens every four years, so 24/4=6.

Why are we talking in spoilers? :P

LaOs on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I have met people who genuinely, and honestly believe that people born on leap year do not gain years during years with no February 29th, and no amount of explaining will convince them.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I have met people who genuinely, and honestly believe that people born on leap year do not gain years during years with no February 29th, and no amount of explaining will convince them.

That... that's just silly.

We have fun with it and all, but she's still going to be twenty-four. It's fun giving someone a Happy 5th Birthday card for their 20th birthday though, especially when it takes everyone else a little while to catch on.

====
    So have you guys ever been involved in planning any big "event" birthdays? For my grandpa's 80th, my mom and her siblings arranged to have the whole family out as well as some of Grandpa's friends to the old homestead (which is still in the family). There were a few key friends that Grandpa didn't expect to see that were hanging out in a mobile home while everyone else surprised him in the house. They then took him out to see the RV and Surprise! Some more old friends!! He seemed to have really enjoyed himself that day.

LaOs on
  • Options
    UnreadableHulkUnreadableHulk Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    For my birthday this year, my friends threw me a combination birthday party/Trapped in the Closet Vol 2 release party, where we marathoned both volumes on DVD. It was the most fantastic gift I could have gotten.

UnreadableHulk on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    For my birthday this year, my friends threw me a combination birthday party/Trapped in the Closet Vol 2 release party, where we marathoned both volumes on DVD. It was the most fantastic gift I could have gotten.

THERE WAS A SECOND ONE MUST HAVE NOW

It's like my birthday, but like four months early!

Satan. on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I remember that Superbowl. I wanted to kill everyone in that stadium, save the 'hawks.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    I remember that Superbowl. I wanted to kill everyone in that stadium, save the 'hawks.

Just when I thought I heard the end of that bitchfest.

Satan. on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hate birthdays.

I never tell anyone my birthday, such that even my best of friends can barely remember. I have a policy of refusing any gifts that are gotten for me, and I make this fact abundantly clear at every opportunity, just like Christmas. I spend my birthday just like I'd spend any other day.

Sadly I can't escape my family. I'm working on getting them to stop the birthday shenanigans, but it's an arduous process.

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It's just over 5 months to my birthday- and for the life of me I can't recall how I spent the last one. I don't think I was drunk...

WTF?

Tach on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I haven't had a birthday party or outing since I was 13.
    It's usually my mom cooking up one of my favorite foods or making homemade french bread pizza. On my 21st birthday, I got sooooooo hiiiiiigh and drunk and I know for sure I slept with one girl but I'm not sure I slept with the one I woke up next to. Nonetheless, that's all I know about that birthday and I don't recall anything other than drinking, smoking, sexing.

This last birthday, my 24th, didn't happen either. Our work posted up "This Month's Birthdays" in the break room and everyone was like "oh hey its your bday lets go do something" blah blah blah. Well it came and went and nothing happened. There's a group of chicks here that buy and bring cakes to birthday people but they seemed to have forgotten mine. I wasn't annoyed at all (I went out for dinner with my sister to celebrate even though I paid) but I was surprised since these chicks even buy cakes for new people.

So yeah, I'm not too big on birthdays. If something happens, then cool. I don't bother planning out getaway trips or crazy outings on my birthdays.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    IIRC my mates refused to let me stop sparring until I nearly threw up.

My brother and I have a tradition of intending to give each other $200 on our respective birthdays, but we just call it even (because it's the thought that counts).

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    UnreadableHulkUnreadableHulk Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

THERE WAS A SECOND ONE MUST HAVE NOW

It's like my birthday, but like four months early!

Indeed. It's just as scandalous, but unfortunately with less surprise midgets.

UnreadableHulk on
  • Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My last (23rd) birthday party was a sad state of affairs. Very few of my so-called friends showed up to the party I was having (for the cynics out there, I did not ask for/expect presents, so it's not like there was an admission fee :p), and I had a mouth infection so bad it was painful to eat or drink anything that wasn't iced water. I had to cancel the dinner with my parents the following night as well due to that sickness. So it was rather unpleasant.

As I advance into my twenties I'm often surprised though by my closest friends and family members who ask me what I want for my birthday... I somehow got the impression that beyond your twenty-first, the only presents you received on your birthday were perhaps a six-pack or a moderately-priced bottle of wine from those who are feeling particularly generous. That's how I feel about birthday gift-giving anyway, but maybe it reveals me as a cheap and thoughtless bastard...

Solvent on
    I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com