Options

[Game On] SW:SE - New Jedi Order - Group 1

mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Critical Failures
STAR WARS
NEW JEDI ORDER
Chapter 1: Knight Falls on Coruscant

WurthSkidderInIthor.jpg

It is a dark time in the galaxy. Just as the conflict between the NEW REPUBLIC and the IMPERIAL REMNANT has mostly been resolved, a new menace appears from outside the galactic rim. The YUUZHAN VONG invaded the galaxy, cutting a bloody path from the outer rim to the inner core worlds of the galaxy.

Serpindal and Ithor have been destroyed. Numerous planets have fallen to the invaders, their inhabitants enslaved or slaughtered. The fall of planets such as Rodia, Falleen, Yag’Dhul, Borleias, and Duro have given the Yuuzhan Vong access to CORUSCANT, the cultural and political center of galactic civilization.

At the forefront of the resistance against the invaders are LUKE SKYWALKER and his new generation of JEDI KNIGHTS. Along with the New Republic military forces, they have managed to strike back against the Yuuzhan Vong, saving millions of refugees and slowing the Vong conquest toward the galactic core. The public leadership of the Jedi has made them a target, culminating in the Yuuzhan Vong attack against the JEDI TEMPLE on Yavin 4.

The only hope for the survival of galactic civilization lies with this NEW JEDI ORDER…

mightyspacepope on

• Options
    edited January 2008
    Dramatis Personae

Aur Tolun - Kel Dor Jedi - JacquesCousteau - Sheet
    Chitha - Near-Human Jedi - INeedNoSalt - Sheet
    Krullssk - Trandoshan Soldier - nefffffffffff - Sheet
    Charn Deha - Human Jedi - KrataLightblade - Sheet

House Rules
    -Use Invisible Castle for dice rolling.
    -Please put your character's full name in the space that says "Character Name".
    -Please use the "Note" space to briefly describe what the roll is for.
    -Please put links to dice rolls in spoiler tags.
    -Description is good. With a look of fury in his eyes, Luke leapt behind Han and brought his saber around, angling for the smuggler's head is a lot cooler than Luke swung his lightsaber at Han.
    -Please disable your sig for the IC posting.
    -If there are any questions, PM!

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The passenger liner lands smoothly at one of Coruscant's smaller spaceports. Beings of numerous species disembark, many of them happy to be back on solid ground.

Among them are a Kel Dor male, a near-human female, and a human male. Slightly behind the human male, a Trandoshan male follows. This group goes unnoticed by the rest of the passengers as they walk into the spaceport concourse.

Monitors and holoprojectors are set up here by the hundreds. Some of them offer updates on the arrival and departure times of various passenger liners, while others offer newscasts from dozens of worlds.

"With Yag'Dhul under Vong control..."

"Anomalous asteroids have been sighted outside of..."

"Chief of State Fey'lya will be holding a press conferece..."

Amidst the barrage of holoprojectors, the words of Jedi Master Kam Solusar, chief instructor at the Jedi Academy, echo in Aur Tolan's mind. With Coruscant open to invasion, the Vong are sure to send advance scouts to sow chaos and panic among the populace. Some of these agents will be Yuuzhan Vong in disguise, but others are likely to be members of the Peace Brigade. Scout the seedier areas of Coruscant and try to keep tabs on any Vong or Brigaders trying to recruit among the criminal element. No crazy heroics, for now, just keep an eye open, investigate any leads you find. Keep an eye on Chitha and Charn, and the Trandoshan that's following him around these days. Try to keep them out of trouble. Aur, you're mission leader on this one. I want you to take charge. You have my utmost confidence, may the force be with you.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    As Aur exits the craft, he quivers slightly as the life of the planet washes over him in a sensation not unlike that of pins and needles.

His voice rings out from the breath-mask in a soothing cantor, with a slight metallic twinge, "so many here to be protected. I hope knowing what is at stake resonates with the rest of you as it does me."

He is still for a moment, and seems almost lighter as he takes an audible breath. He continues speaking, "if we are to complete our task, we should head to the lower levels. The elements we are after should be easier to find there. And remember, we are on a fact-finding mission so be subtle." He turns to look at Krullsk and Chitha.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Subtle. Right. Of course. Charn hoped that didn't mean he had to leave his Lightsaber behind. He wasn't particularly keen on that, not when searching for enemy agents.

"Anything more specific, Aur? I'm not entirely certain what I'm even looking for. Obviously, we've all seen the vids of the Vong, but would they really be foolish enough to send actual Vong to Coruscant?"

His voice was, mercifully, low, as he spoke, so at least not too many random passersby heard him.

"Or are we searching for collaborators?" That word was filled with a certain level of contempt, although there wasn't any actual venom in it.

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Shaking his head slowly, Aur looks at Charn, saying "I'm not sure we can guess at any action our enemy seems to take. In any case, the Masters have told us to watch out for both them and their sympathizers."

He starts walking slowly towards one of the monitors, looking for a map of the city, while keeping an eye on the crowd around them.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    "There's folks what sympathize with them creeps?" Chitha was not amused. "Sounds like a dirty joke to me."

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Krullssk disembarked with the others. While they chatted hey scanned the sea of faces -- something about the whole situation made him a bit uneasy.

He thought he heard one of the Jedi say something about going down to the lower levels, which was an idea he liked. By the time he thought to interject, however, the conversation had moved on, so he again began to eye the crowd.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Aur senses no immediate absences in the Force that would signify a Yuuzhan Vong infiltrator, nor does he sense any sort of malice from the people in his vicinity. He does sense an underlying fear that grips the hearts and minds of most of the populace. He also glimpses deeper feelings of despair from refugees who have lost their homes or their loved ones.

Krullssk does not perceive any suspicious activity around him. A family of Wookiees passing by do growl and bare their fangs at him as they pass by, however. He also notices that there is a Twi'lek in a back corner who appears to be accepting credits from beings who come up to him, and then offering them information in return.

A variety of maps are situated around the spaceport. Areas of note on the map include: Senate District, Commercial District, Financial District, Manufacturing District, Entertainment District, and several residential districts. A series of high-speed mag-lev trains can shuttle you from the spaceport to any area you would prefer.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    "It seems to me that anybody trying to stir up trouble would be most likely to begin in either the manufactiruing or residential districts, Aur, as that's where any disaffected sorts are likely to be found. Conversely, anyone trying to spy would be best off trying the Senate or Financial districts, as that's where much of the power is centered. Should we split off and check them individually, or do you want to stick together? If Krullusk and I are going alone, we would be much better taking the former pair, while you two took the latter pair."

Charn shrugged, his speech entirely emotionless, delivered in a near-monotone. He seemed not to be particularly excited by this at the moment... or perhaps he was saving his energy.

"Either way, I don't want to have wasted the trip, so we need to get looking for something soon."

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Krullssk clicked his teeth a few times at the Wookiees, and stroked the mottled grey pelt on his chest.

It really was a shame that this was neither the time or place for a good hunt. He watched them get on the maglev and depart for the commercial district; their stink was still in his nostrils.

He turned to Charn.

"Maybe he can point us in the right direction" said Krullssk in a muted tone. He nodded in the general direction of the Twi'lek as subtly as he knew how.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Aur looks to where Krullssk points before replying to Charn, "I think it would be best if we stuck together, and maybe this Twi'lek will give us the lead we're looking for. Although I don't sense the enemy around, the masters have warned me that they have sophisticated disguises and we should still be cautious. "

Before starting off toward the Twi'lek, Aur finishes up, "Lets try not to give away our purpose too easily. For all we know, this one is working with the enemy."

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Charn just shrugged. Whether that meant agreement or annoyance, it was impossible to tell.

He just kept his eyes scanning the crowd. The others were focused on the Twi'lek, and it wouldn't do to be snuck up on while they were all watching a random person who may or may not be material. He was looking for anything suspicious, especially people approaching the band who might be packing weaponry, or, well, really, anything suspicious at all. He didn't want to be caught by surprise.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Chitha had wandered off a bit to take a look over one of the maps that seemed plastered all over. She traced her finger over the districts, and tapped on the Entertainment District. Well, if they were looking for seedy types, isn't that where they'd find them? She pulled her belt up, stupid heavy thing, and wandered back to the others. She kept quiet for now; seems they had something in mind.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Charn sees nothing threatening around him. Everyone seems to preoccupied with their own business or with the newscasts.

The Twi'lek appears to be momentarily alone.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    "Now seems as good a time as any." Krullssk said aloud.

"Du kan komme med meg, eller du kan sitte rundt som en bunt av Hutts." he said, in a more muted tone. The comment was followed by a faint hiss.

He then turned and began to walk towards the Twi'lek.
    "You can come with me, or you can sit around like a bunch of Hutts."

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    It took Charn a second to realize what Krullusk was doing, but by the time he caught it, Krullusk was already moving, and Charn was a few seconds behind him.

This wasn't likely to be subtle.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Aur starts the walk toward the Twi'lek, his casual pace showing no worry about overtaking Krullssk.

As they finally approach the Twi'lek, Aur greets him with a slight nod before speaking, the metallic twinge of his breather adding to the seriousness of his speech, "we are looking for information on certain elements," the word seemed to be growing on him, "who have recently showed up on Coruscant in certain sectors. Any new 'players' being seen around?"

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The Twi'lek acknowledges Aur with a condescending look. "I don't know if you've noticed, pal, but about a thousand new elements are showing up here every hour and going to lots of different sectors. Time is money. What are you looking for and how much are you going to pay for it?"

He gestures toward the Trandoshan. "Oh, and if he's going to be listening in, you'd best be paying double or the scale-bag better pay his own. I'm running a business here, not a visitor's center."

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Charn laid a hand on Krullusk's shoulder, shaking his head at the Trandoshan's almost certain reaction, and pulled him back, motioning for Aur to go ahead.

"Let him deal with it. I'm not keen on assaulting people with no evidence in the middle of the street."

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Subtly, one of Aur's hands curls into a fist in at his side as he speaks, his voice taking on an authoratative tone, "I think your sense of doing the right thing will be enough payment."

His voice returning to normal, he continues, "now in regards to who we're looking for. We are looking for people who have been recruiting any large number of people. Perhaps there are some new arrivals? Factions talking of actions against the Republic?"

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Krullssk hissed and his eyes narrowed towards the Twi'lek. After Aur finished speaking, the Trandoshan couldn't take it anymore and burst out:

"We're all together, Twi'lek. You let us pay one price and I won't find and devour your young." there was contempt in his voice.

The Twi'lek rolled his eyes. "You don't frighten me, scale-bag. Look around you: there are people everywhere, and I have friends in some very high places."

Krullssk tapped his toe-claws on the ground a few times, but other than that he did not move. The Twi'lek turned to speak with Aur after a few beats, and Krullssk took the opportunity. His hand shot out like a striking snake, and he grabbed the Twi'lek by one of its Lekku. As Krullssk pulled the Twi'lek towards him, a small trickle of blood came from where his claws had dug in. He spoke in a calm tone:

"Friends in high places? Where are they now? You should not be so confident, you see. I have friends in low places as well as ones up high. If you do as I say I may let you keep both of your fleshy little pig-tails, Twi'lek."

There was a brief pause as the captive Twi'lek squirmed a bit. The Trandoshan awaited a response.
    Intimidate the Twi'lek. (1d20=8)

(FARK!)

EDIT: I just retcon'd it for JC's post.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The Kel Dor's words initially seem to resonate in the Twi'lek's mind. "Well, if it wasn't for the free market economy of the New Republic, I couldn't do business... And it seems like you guys are working in its best interests..."

Just as it seems he's starting to come around, the Trandoshan intrudes. After cowering initially, the Twi'lek begins chuckling. "Trust me, you frakking scalebag, I've got friends in low places too."

He snaps his fingers and a Whiphid, a Rodian, and a rather nasty looking Sullustan materialize from the crowd, surrounding the Kel Dor, the human, and the Trandoshan. In addition, Aur and Charn sense at least three other beings nearby taking a direct interest in them, not quite threatening yet, but the possibility is there.

"Now, we have three options here," the Twi'lek begins, holding up three fingers. "One: we act like the civilized beings we are, well at least most of us are, and you pay me for the services I can provide you."

The Twi'lek ticks one finger down. "Two: you walk away from me and go about your business."

He ticks another down. "Or three: we all cause a very ugly scene. The ball's in your hand. What's it going to be?"

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Charn's voice spoke out, tight with annoyance.

"Krullusk. Let it be."

The Trandoshan was going to have some explaining to do later. And Charn was not going to make it go easy.

"We are not here to start a bloodbath in a public place. Do I make myself clear, Krullusk?"

He didn't even bother waiting for an answer, his fingers gripping his lightsaber, though he did not yet choose to draw it. He spoke to the Twi'lek.

"As for you, do not make threats you are not capable of carrying out. You do not want this to go badly any more than we do. Speak with the Kel'dor."

He fell silent, his annoyance plain in his eyes and tone and posture as he looked back overhis shoulder at the "muscle", sizing them up for any weaponry they, or nearby members of the crowd might have concealed.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    "I was not the one who began throwing threats of violence about," the Twi'lek points out, an edge in his voice. "Furthermore, I do not make threats unless I'm more than capable of carrying them out."

The Twi'lek narrows his eyes with anger, then abruptly, his demeanor changes. He becomes very calm. Through the Force, Charn is able to sense that the information broker's anger was an act, he's been very calm during this whole episode.

"As I said before, I'm a businessman. If you would like to do business, I'd be pleased to assist you. If you do not wish to do business, then I would politely urge you to leave me alone. For the information you're asking for, one hundred and fifty credits would be a fair asking price."

The Twi'lek waits for a reply.
    Charn is able to see that in addition to the already mentioned guards, there is also a Quarren on the Twi'lek's security payroll. The Rodian and the Quarren openly have blaster pistols holstered on their belts, while the Sullustan has a vibrodagger sheathed on his leg. The Whiphid has no visible weapons on him, and doesn't wear enough clothing to have any hidden.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Krullssk was mad at himself for letting himself be put into this situation. He might have been able to work with a rodian or two, get them to see things his way, but he didn't care much for Sullustans and the Whiphid was likely only a little smarter than a mynock. He decided that the Jedi with the breath mask probably would not be too quick to help him out of this bind either, and the out-gunned Trandoshan reluctantly released his grip on the Twi'lek's head-tail.

This was not a proud moment in the eyes of the scorekeeper. Krullssk fumed silently and let the others deal with the Twi'lek. He turned and regarded the Rodian.
    Examine Rodian (knowledge) (1d20+2=12)

try to discern useful information about the Rodian; clan, gender, age, relative strength, etc.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Chitha had kept her distance from the others ... that wasn't an excercise that required four people! That temperamental probably could've handled it well enough himself. Still, she kept to the crowd and kept her head about and down. If that rodian had hands out in the crowd, so would her own crew.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Never even motioning toward his weapons as the situation around him evolves, Aur keeps his focused on the Twi'lek's. As the Twi'lek's mood changes back to a professional one, Aur speaks in his normal calm timbre, "I'm glad we can find a peaceful solution, but I would like to know that you have the information we are looking for before we pay you. Obviously we are not in the position to cheat you."

Without looking away from the Twi'lek, Aur extends a hand to Krullssk, and says flatly, "we clean up our own messes in this group. Do you have this fellow's money?"

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Krullssk's blood was boiling at the situation. He could almost hear the scorekeeper laughing at him, and he knew that this was not the last he would see of the Twi'lek.

"Jeg vil ikke betale for tjenester som jeg ikke trenger..." He was visibly angry -- his head was wobbling up and down as if he suffered from some sort of nervous tick.

"Jeg er akkurat følgende en venn. Hvis han trenger informasjon da pris ham, må jeg ikke høre det." Dosh was Krullssk's native tongue, but when he was mad he spat when he spoke. He turned and began to walk towards one of the many maps of the surrounding area. As he left he gave the Rodian a solid body check. He turned and spoke in Rodese:

"Respeito Rodians -- especialmente Roolek de clã -- tão eu lhe darei algum conselho. Desconte fora antes desta lula recebe o que ele veio."

He turned and walked to one of the large maps of the maglev system. When he got there he didn't actually read it, he just traced one of the routes with a finger and stewed in his own anger. He would have his revenge.

"I won't pay for services I don't need."

"I'm just following a friend. If he needs information then charge him, I don't need to hear it."

"I respect Rodians -- especially clan Roolek -- so I'll give you some advice. Cash out before this squid gets what he has coming."

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Charn gave the Twi'lek one level look, and turned on his heel to follow Krullusk. When he stepped up behind Krullusk, he spoke very softly, very slowly, in the tone Krullusk had, almost certainly by now, begun to associate with Charn's "danger zone" lectures.

"Krullusk. I believe I was very specific. Or was I not clear? Have you forgotten to understand Common? Or do you find joy in risking other's lives along with your own? Is that the case, Krullusk? Do you hope to get us killed? Or are you simply such a fool that you did not recognize the danger? Or are you merely so bloodthirsty that you do not care?"

This entire diatribe was spoken in the same low, soft tone, too quiet for passersby to hear, but enough for Krullusk to hear every syllable.

"We do not assault random personages in the street without good cause, Krullusk. You told me you wanted to learn more of the Jedi? Consider this a lesson, and take it with the humility you failed to allow the Twi'lek. Your pride will not cause us issues again, Krullusk, or you and I will have a very, very long discussion, one that you will find extremely offensive to your honor. Am I perfectly clear? Or shall we have it out here, in the street, where your shame will be public?"

Charn was, it appeared, remarkably angry with Krullusk, though the reason was not entirely clear. Of course, should Krullusk restrain himself and respond quietly, no one need know this exchange ever happened.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    As the Trandoshan walks past him, the Rodian eyes him cooly and replies, in Rodese: "Eu trabalho para Dal'pei para o glory da caça que me permite, não para os créditos me entrega."
    I work for Dal'pei for the glory of the hunt he allows me, not for the credits he hands me.

The Twi'lek looks upon the Trandoshan's anger as if it doesn't matter to him. One of his head-tails idly comes up and scratches his chin. "Hmmm... new arrivals you say? Ones who would seek to act against the mighty New Republic?"

The Twi'lek lowers his voice. "If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say you're looking for the Peace Brigade, yes, if not the Vong themselves. That would make you... New Republic military? Maybe, but you don't have the uniform." He glances toward the Trandoshan. "Or the discipline. Of course, you could always be Special Ops. They rarely play by the rules." He pauses. "But I think not. Which makes who you are an important piece of information, something that would satisfy my... curiosity. I'll make you a deal. Tell me who you are, what you want with the Brigaders. If you do so, I'll tell you where you can find them for only fifty credits. What do you say?"

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    As the others leave him to face the group alone, Aur seems to remain perfectly calm. After listening to the Twi'lek he replies stone-faced, "we're a group of mercenaries tired of all the bloodshed caused by this war. We're looking to put a quick end to it," he pauses, looking around shiftily, "one way or another."

Pulling 80 credits out from his belt, he offers it to the Twi'lek, "a little something extra from one concerned citizen to another."

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Krullssk was still staring at the map with his arms folded over his chest.

"Hrmmm... yes." He grumbled. "I apologize for putting you in harms way, Charn."

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The Twi'lek arches his eyebrows at Aur's explanation, but accepts the payment. "It's the odd mercenary group that fights in order to end the bloodshed. Typically, that's where one in your profession would prefer to be, as the most profits can be found in such a situation."

After this, he grins slightly, "Still, it's the rarer merc who is so free with his credits. I don't believe you for a second, but we can do business. If you're looking for the Brigade, I'd check around Invisec, which is where the Empire used to dump all the non-humans on Coruscant before the NR invaded and took over. Even after the New Republic set up shop here, Invisec is the place where a lot of radicals end up. A lot of the refugees funneling into this planet are being forced there. The rent is cheap and living space is plentiful, if not cramped. Unrest, despair, anger at the government, that's where I'd recruit if I was looking to sow civil unrest in preparation for an invasion. There's an organization there, called 'The Alien Liberation Front'. They've been causing problems for the government for a while, calling for revolution, other nonsense like that. I'd try there first, put your feelers out, make like you're unhappy with the way Fey'lya and his cronies have been running things, and that you'd look forward to a regime change, especially an extragalactic change in leadership, if you catch my drift."

"One more thing. If you decide you want to be upfront and tell me who you really are, what you're really after, I'd be interested. There'd be credits in it for you. You know where to find me."

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Stun baton, meet protein snack.

"Don't worry about it, Krullusk. There are times when violence and threats are appropriate and necessary. Attacking and killing people in the street is counterproductive to the mission, is all."

He clapped Krullusk on the back, his demeanor shifting from controlled annoyance to smiles and friendship again. Funny how he could do that, be his own personal good and bad cop.

"When Aur gets the information he wants, I'm certain he'll lead us into some sort of seedy dive, and there'll be more chances to let your... unique... charm work its magic, yes? Let's see what he's found out."

Charn moved about halfway towards Aur, eyeing him, watching him and catching his eye when the Twi'lek was done with him, motioning him over. He cast about the crowd for Chitha, frowning.

"And where is that girl...?"

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    With a silent, final nod to the Twi'lek, Aur walks back to toward Charn and Krullssk. As he walks by Chitha he breathes out a loud metallic sigh of relief from his breather- the first break in his calm since the tension arose- and says, "Thanks for the backup. Shall we join the others?"

Arriving back with the others he briefs them on the situation about needing to infiltrate the Alien Liberation Front and the information on Invisec, "...so I'm guessing we should start there. Any objections?" He looks to them, awaiting an answer.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    "None. It's a lead, at least. Suspicious to find one so quick, though."

Charn shrugged, then smiled a bit.

"I'd suggest keeping our eyes open, yes?"

KrataLightblade on