As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Farm team TV shows may get shot at major networks

tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
Since the writer's strike is taking longer than expected networks may rerun past seasons of shows from their sister networks.

CBS to borrow "Dexter" from Showtime

I kinda saw this coming, but not from the pay cable channels. This leads me to question if this is a good decision. Yes, you do potentially vastly increase the audience of a show most people don't watch, but with network TV editing does the show become unwatchable?

Personally, I have never seen an episode of Dexter, but if it's on showtime I know it's there for a reason. I think with some shows you just can't show on network TV. The article above does also mention Weeds, which I have seen. I think it would be slaughtered in the editing room.

I think if the all the big networks do this NBC may come out on top since they have USA. There are a few good shows I think many people would like once they get bigger exposure.

What are your thoughts on this? Can it even be done or is network TV talking out of its ass?

Sorry for any spelling or grammar mistakes. Trying to type this fast at work.:P

edit: link now works, sorry

tallgeeze on

• Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Shows will be primarily unwatchable because they will be unairable, if prospectively from "pay channels".

Since I won't be able to see episodes of Californication, I don't give a damn.

Edit: and I like that they're calling American Gladiators new.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yea, that's what I was thinking, Octoparrot. I know The Sopranos was syndicated to A & E(or some channel like that ), but I hear it's chopped up pretty good.

If NBC does do this I hope they show Burn Notice or The 4400. Those are 2 shows I think would do very well on network TV.

I wonder what shows ABC could run. I forget what channels they own.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Octoparrot wrote: »
    Shows will be primarily unwatchable because they will be unairable, if prospectively from "pay channels".

Since I won't be able to see episodes of Californication, I don't give a damn.

Edit: and I like that they're calling American Gladiators new.

It... it is new. This is a new show. Yes, it's based off the old one. It's not the old show being rebroadcast today. They're calling it New American Gladiators in some areas. New before the title is worlds different than after the title.

Satan. on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Theyll be able to show like 98% of dexter on network tv. It's not big on bad language (with the exception of Doakes) and the violence isnt super gory - usually.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I guess that's good news for Dexter, but the article also mentions Weeds may come to CBS. I've seen most of the first season and I doubt it would stay 90%+ in tact. Half of the interesting things was how the characters ended up sleeping with each other.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Having Weeds move to cable scares me. They'd have to strip out too much of the show. Especially when Kevin Nealon is on the screen.

Satan. on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    There is no way Weeds will ever get to broadcast TV. It could go to a cable network like Spike or FX, but even then it would need to have too much cut. Channels like TBS will not touch it as they seem to cater towards the family side of content.

Veevee on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    geckahn wrote: »
    Theyll be able to show like 98% of dexter on network tv. It's not big on bad language (with the exception of Doakes) and the violence isnt super gory - usually.

Lots of "Pardon my tits" in the second season, though. The ending to season 1 is rather violent and I imagine they'll have to cut some of the more blatant sex scenes (no more Tomb Raider blow job).

Personally, I'd like to see Battlestar Galactica and Monk get put on. NBC has already got lucky with L&O: Criminal Intent, so I'd like to see some of the more different shows make it over.

Invisible on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Invisible wrote: »
    geckahn wrote: »

Lots of "Pardon my tits" in the second season, though. The ending to season 1 is rather violent and I imagine they'll have to cut some of the more blatant sex scenes (no more Tomb Raider blow job).

Personally, I'd like to see Battlestar Galactica and Monk get put on. NBC has already got lucky with L&O: Criminal Intent, so I'd like to see some of the more different shows make it over.

I think Monk would do wonderfully on broadcast if they created a few background episodes and started around season 2. Not sure why, but Season 1 never sits quite right with me.

Veevee on
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    NBC's already said they're picking up Monk and Psych from USA, to start airing in March sometime. I don't think they've said what seasons they're airing or anything.
    (I am somewhat excited about this because Psych is awesome but inexplicably not on TV at all in Canada and I miss it. But then I remember that they're just programming to cover the strike and I am conflicted.)

It'd be nice to see BSG on national TV, but I don't think it's gonna happen unless they get really desperate. Heck, SciFi barely repeats the show. Yeah, NBC'd be able to air it without having to hack it up too much, but it's way serialized and the average joe assumes it's not for them as soon as they hear the title.

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    If they hype BSG like they did Bionic Woman then I think it could do well. It has been called one of the best written shows for the past few years. Alas, good TV shows always seem to struggle since people don't wanna think.

tallgeeze on