As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Good 360 games on the horizon?

AridholAridhol Daddliest CatchRegistered User regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
I'm wondering what games I should be looking forward to in the next few months, specifically RPG's.

I'm currently playing mass effect and it's excellent but I'm hoping for some more JRPG type fare.

so list em!

Aridhol on

• Options
    Baka_ShadeBaka_Shade Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I have to say, I'm not sure 360 should be your console of choice if you're looking for JRPGs...

But here's a (strategy) RPG from Japan, at least. It looks so cool...

Baka_Shade on
    kanpilgrimsigfinal2.png
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Lost Odyssey is a JRPG that's coming out next month. It's very Final Fantasy-ish, and has been getting solid reviews in Japan (it's already out there). IGN was bashing a hands on of it pretty hard, but then again, that's IGN.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    how many of these threads can we have in one day?
    fuck I miss the megathreads

That being said, I agree with Baka. If you like JRPG's, the 360 is not your console of choice. There are a lot of good games out, and coming out for 360 in the near future, just look in the first few pages here, or do a search, or look at release lists from places like IGN.

The reason there are so few JRPG's on the 360 is because no one in Japan is buying the 360. I think the sales figures for the 360 in Japan for 2007 were somewhere around 270k, for the whole year. and they say about 40% of that was from within 3 weeks of Ace Combat 6 coming out over there.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    wunderbar wrote: »

That being said, I agree with Baka. If you like JRPG's, the 360 is not your console of choice. There are a lot of good games out, and coming out for 360 in the near future, just look in the first few pages here, or do a search, or look at release lists from places like IGN.

The reason there are so few JRPG's on the 360 is because no one in Japan is buying the 360. I think the sales figures for the 360 in Japan for 2007 were somewhere around 270k, for the whole year. and they say about 40% of that was from within 3 weeks of Ace Combat 6 coming out over there.

But the PS3 hardly has any JRPGs

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Pharezon wrote: »

Give it a couple of years. the developers have to figure out how to actually develop for the thing, since it's apparently the most complicated console to develop for, ever.

If I remember right, aside from maybe FF X(dont' remember when that came out) the PS2 didn't have any real good JRPG's in the first year of it's life either. Although i could be totally wrong on that.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Pharezon wrote: »

Give it a couple of years. the developers have to figure out how to actually develop for the thing, since it's apparently the most complicated console to develop for, ever.

If I remember right, aside from maybe FF X(dont' remember when that came out) the PS2 didn't have any real good JRPG's in the first year of it's life either. Although i could be totally wrong on that.

At the present though the 360 has more JRPGs than the PS3

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Buy more PS2 RPGs. Seriously, I love my new 360, and Eternal Sonata is fun, but it can't compare to the games on the PS2 if you're an RPG fan like I am.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, the 360 actually has the strongest JRPG lineup of any of the current gen systems right now and in the immediate future. Blue Dragon & Eternal Sonata are both great games and Lost Odyssey comes out next month and looks fantastic. Throw in the 2 Atlus Q1 games and the 360's JRPG lineup blows the PS3's and the Wii's immediate lineups (i.e. non-existent) out of the water.

Of course, it has nothing on the PS2.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, the 360 actually has the strongest JRPG lineup of any of the current gen systems right now and in the immediate future. Blue Dragon & Eternal Sonata are both great games and Lost Odyssey comes out next month and looks fantastic. Throw in the 2 Atlus Q1 games and the 360's JRPG lineup blows the PS3's and the Wii's immediate lineups (i.e. non-existent) out of the water.

Of course, it has nothing on the PS2.

I dunno, maybe it's just because I'm only about 2-3 hours in, but Eternal Sonata has not grabbed me at all. Certain character's voices are starting to drive me up the wall and I'm really hoping the story ramps up soon. I liked the intro, though, and the battle system is great.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Baka_ShadeBaka_Shade Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I recall also reading that Square Enix had some original RPG planned for the 360 (and might have been PS3 too?), with the intention of creating something new completely independent of Final Fantasy...can't find anything on it at the moment.

Edit: Ah, got something. It's called The Last Remenant, is only for 360, and is already getting fellated. XD

Baka_Shade on
    kanpilgrimsigfinal2.png
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well, not RPGS but I'll list the games I'm looking forward to/buying on day of release for my 360

- Devil May Cry 4
    - Brutal Legend
    - Ninja Gaiden 2
    - Resident Evil 5

Now I'v ever only bought 3 games ever on their day of release, one by accident (didn't know it was being released that day) but I'm buying every one of these on their release day without question. RE5 I'm pretty sure is coming out a lot later than the others but the rest are apparentley coming out in the next few months

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Isn't Square also making a JRPG called Infinite Undiscovery only for the XBox360? Yes, we are all aware that is the most horrific name ever.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Isn't Square also making a JRPG called Infinite Undiscovery only for the XBox360? Yes, we are all aware that is the most horrific name ever.

you are correct on both points.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Fable 2? Although I have no idea what this game is supposed to be like at this point.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    EskimoDave wrote: »

you are correct on both points.

On the marketplace it is written Infinite U N D I S C O V E R Y which makes it even more annoying.

Also, isnt Burnout Paradise out in America in like a day or so?

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Baka_Shade wrote: »
    I recall also reading that Square Enix had some original RPG planned for the 360 (and might have been PS3 too?), with the intention of creating something new completely independent of Final Fantasy...can't find anything on it at the moment.

Edit: Ah, got something. It's called The Last Remenant, is only for 360, and is already getting fellated. XD

Last Remnant is scheduled to be 360/PS3, not 360 exclusive.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Fable 2? Although I have no idea what this game is supposed to be like at this point.

It's looking quite awesome, actually.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Roshin wrote: »

hobbe_01_lrg.jpg

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Roshin wrote: »

Excellent. I didn't get swept up in all the hype about the first one, so I thought it was an excellent game. I'm tempted to go play Lost Chapters right now, actually. So I'm definitely looking forward to this one. The stuff I've heard about it didn't seem to do it any favors, though. One-button combat? A mandatory wolf/dog ally? Wierd.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The only way to enjoy Fable 2 is to not pay attention to any media about it until 3 days before release and just buy it.

Otherwise if you listen to the marketing hype you will think it is the second coming. Not of Jesus, but of Fable, because the first one was hyped that much.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    The only way to enjoy Fable 2 is to not pay attention to any media about it until 3 days before release and just buy it.

Otherwise if you listen to the marketing hype you will think it is the second coming. Not of Jesus, but of Fable, because the first one was hyped that much.

See, The_Scarab and I used to fight a lot over various pointless things, but lately the guy has been proving just what a class act he really is. This is exactly what anyone should do.

I remember bitching and moaning about Fable. Why aren't the tress growing? Why can't I be female? Why can't I get an awesome scar instead of looking like a Sith reject? Etc, etc.

If I actually had played the game without all this nonsense all I'd complain about was a little bit of repetitiveness and the fact that if I sit here all day with this here bow pulled back I can do a hojillion damage to anything!

Hopefully by the time I get into Fable 2 I'll have forgotten all about guns and dogs that seem realer than life itself and just have a good time...for seven to twenty hours.

Anyways, onto the thread at hand. Yep, the 360 has more RPGs than either of the other two systems right now, but nothing really very mindblowing. If you can stomach a little bit of tradtion and a whole lot of reading then Lost Odyssey might be right up your alley.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576