Options

I WANT A NEW PHONE!!

124»

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    but not the iPhone (particularly because it doesn't place nice with most corporate e-mail systems)

Are a lot of corporate email systems running exchange-access only, because I hear this nit picked about the iPhone. Yet my corporate email works fine on my iPhone. It's fetching via IMAP.

Or is it the Outlook-dependent features that are missed (calendars and public folder)?

Am I the odd IT guy out? I run our email servers and if I didn't support IMAP/POP3 in addition to Exchange access my users would shit bricks and make my life hell til I did.

Djeet on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    ya, at my company we don't support IMAP at all. it's exchange connection only. Plus, even if you use imap, then you don't get calendar/contact sync, which is the other 2/3 of using a smartphone for work. For some people, the e-mail is the *least* important part of that. I have one guy who's contacts stopped syncing on his blackberry for like, 1 day, and good god, it's like he coudln't work at all.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You're not the odd guy out. I'm in IT and I do things the exact same way. Nobody uses their blackberry as their ONLY email client. If we have a remote user, that user also has a laptop with Outlook, and they are more than happy to sync their iPhone with their computer. Maybe my industry is just less chaotic than other industries?

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I definitely don't need contact synching, but I really am getting tired of having to forward my work email through gmail, since they don't support IMAP for security issues.

My IT feels pretty sure that at some point Apple will address the issue, but I'm going to be ticked off if addressing it means that talked about corporate plan coming which will cost a hell of a lot more than the $15+20 that I'm paying now.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Apprently on the 6th it gets addressed.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    I definitely don't need contact synching, but I really am getting tired of having to forward my work email through gmail, since they don't support IMAP for security issues.

My IT feels pretty sure that at some point Apple will address the issue, but I'm going to be ticked off if addressing it means that talked about corporate plan coming which will cost a hell of a lot more than the $15+20 that I'm paying now.

nah, I'm actually betting iPhone 2 will come with exchange support built in. it's just a simple software thing, it has nothing to do with the data plan or hardware.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So why would you expect a simple software item to require a new piece of hardware?

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    So why would you expect a simple software item to require a new piece of hardware?

Because that's what apple does.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    wunderbar wrote: »

You clearly haven't been following Apple. Like, ever.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    ben0207 wrote: »

I'm sorry, but I'll have to point to your signature now ;)

They've been notorious for not applying updates possible in software to old products, just to sell new ones. iPods are especially bad for this. Is there any reason why 5G iPod's cant get a firmware update to play rentals? Why are they charging $20 for the 5 apps in the iPod touch update? They charged $3 for a fucking Wifi driver for mac computers.

I know, maybe they'll charge $50 to put it into existing iPhones =/

wunderbar on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

My signature? Yeah, that's because I run the Mac thread. If anyone can give a bit of knowledge about Apple round here, it's me. (with much kudos to the other Mac thread regulars)

They've been notorious for not applying updates possible in software to old products, just to sell new ones. iPods are especially bad for this.
    That's interesting, seeing as I've never heard anything about it.

What's that Lassie? Apple are still (just about) supporting G3 hardware with software, which is nearly ten years old now? This guy is talking out of his arse?

Is there any reason why 5G iPod's cant get a firmware update to play rentals?
    Yes, because the 5G iPod is fucking ancient and the replacement for it has been on the market since forever. In other news Office '07 doen't run on Windows 98, and the PS2 can't play Uncharted. Companies are allowed to update their hardware, you know.

Why are they charging $20 for the 5 apps in the iPod touch update?
    Because of some really tedious but legally essential financial reasons. The iPhone has a constant revenue stream from the telcos which the iPod does not. So in order to not massively break the law they had to charge for it.

They charged $3 for a fucking Wifi driver for mac computers.
    Incorrect. They charged $3 to upgrade to wireless N. And most of us got it free, if our computer was new enough that the expense of the upgrade had already been factored in when it was bought. It was certainly not charging $3 for a wireless driver, since the hardware it was compatible with already came with a driver, and it's just that some with older hardware might wish to pay a little more for a faster WiFi connectivity. (which was never included in the price nor advertised at the time of sale)

That's quaint, seeing as how they've already confirmed better Exchange support in the next update.

My responses are italicised, though they don't need to be. Just for look for any text that seems to be complete bullshit, and that would be the guy that isn't me.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Speaking of which, what does 1.1.4 offer over 1.1.3? And when did the SDK come out? They said february but I didn't see anything about it.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Speaking of which, what does 1.1.4 offer over 1.1.3? And when did the SDK come out? They said february but I didn't see anything about it.
    They're supposed to have some sort of a "roadmap" announcement about the SDK tomorrow actually. People are expecting an Alpha or Beta release of the SDK, and it may or may not be an paid/free ADC-member-only thing.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So I received my LG Viewty today and really liking it. I could see it being a really nice alternative to the Iphone. The 5 megapixel camera put it over the top for me though. It's really nice, and it has tons of options (some I'll probably never use)

Kyougu on
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

My signature? Yeah, that's because I run the Mac thread. If anyone can give a bit of knowledge about Apple round here, it's me. (with much kudos to the other Mac thread regulars)

They've been notorious for not applying updates possible in software to old products, just to sell new ones. iPods are especially bad for this.

What's that Lassie? Apple are still (just about) supporting G3 hardware with software, which is nearly ten years old now? This guy is talking out of his arse?

Yes, because the 5G iPod is fucking ancient and the replacement for it has been on the market since forever. In other news Office '07 doen't run on Windows 98, and the PS2 can't play Uncharted. Companies are allowed to update their hardware, you know.

Because of some really tedious but legally essential financial reasons. The iPhone has a constant revenue stream from the telcos which the iPod does not. So in order to not massively break the law they had to charge for it.

Incorrect. They charged $3 to upgrade to wireless N. And most of us got it free, if our computer was new enough that the expense of the upgrade had already been factored in when it was bought. It was certainly not charging $3 for a wireless driver, since the hardware it was compatible with already came with a driver, and it's just that some with older hardware might wish to pay a little more for a faster WiFi connectivity. (which was never included in the price nor advertised at the time of sale)

That's quaint, seeing as how they've already confirmed better Exchange support in the next update.

My responses are italicised, though they don't need to be. Just for look for any text that seems to be complete bullshit, and that would be the guy that isn't me.

Oh hey look, free Exchange support in June for all iPhone users.

(Unfortunately, us iPod touch users will still be SOX-shafted again and have to pay for it, but I'll gladly pay for ActiveSync support on my iPod.)

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Not only is it free but it's really really really good as well. Exchange suport without going through someone else's servers for the win.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    On a ready to go contract what kind of prices are you looking at for data usage? Per kb.

That Dave Fella on
    PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Ronen wrote: »

Oh hey look, free Exchange support in June for all iPhone users.

(Unfortunately, us iPod touch users will still be SOX-shafted again and have to pay for it, but I'll gladly pay for ActiveSync support on my iPod.)

ya, having to pay for it for iPod touch users is total bullshit. And they actually risk slowing sales of the iPod touch if people know that they'll have to actually pay to get the 2.0 software. I love apple products, but what the hell apple, you do things that really make me scratch my head sometimes.

Now I'll reply to the other stuff.

Pointing at your signature was a friendly jab/joke, one that gets misconveyed over the internets

re: updating ipod software:

are you kidding. my old 4G iPod stopped getting updates when newer models were getting some features/bug fixes that could have easily been applied to my model. It happens, not so much with their computers, but with iPods, it does happen.

um, 5G iPods arent' ancient. the absolute oldest video iPods are alittle over 2 years old. if I'm paying $300+ for a device, I don't consider 2 years a long enough period to make it obsolete, especially when a simple firmware update could enable the new features. and what about the 5.5G iPods sold in September. ARe you saying that a 4 month old iPod is obsolete and shouldn't be updated at all?

re: exchange:

Sure, exchange support is free in iPhone, but paid in iPod touch. I was half right there

re: wifi driver

I know that existing users had the wireless G drivers. I never said they didn't. But again, if I had bought a macbook a week before they introduced the N driver upgrade, I would have been pissed for having to pay for a driver. I know that most people got it built into the system, but what about the thousands who had already bout the prodcut that suddenly had to pay for it?

wunderbar on
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    ya, having to pay for it for iPod touch users is total bullshit. And they actually risk slowing sales of the iPod touch if people know that they'll have to actually pay to get the 2.0 software. I love apple products, but what the hell apple, you do things that really make me scratch my head sometimes.

Now I'll reply to the other stuff.

Pointing at your signature was a friendly jab/joke, one that gets misconveyed over the internets

re: updating ipod software:

are you kidding. my old 4G iPod stopped getting updates when newer models were getting some features/bug fixes that could have easily been applied to my model. It happens, not so much with their computers, but with iPods, it does happen.

um, 5G iPods arent' ancient. the absolute oldest video iPods are alittle over 2 years old. if I'm paying $300+ for a device, I don't consider 2 years a long enough period to make it obsolete, especially when a simple firmware update could enable the new features. and what about the 5.5G iPods sold in September. ARe you saying that a 4 month old iPod is obsolete and shouldn't be updated at all?

re: exchange:

Sure, exchange support is free in iPhone, but paid in iPod touch. I was half right there

re: wifi driver

I know that existing users had the wireless G drivers. I never said they didn't. But again, if I had bought a macbook a week before they introduced the N driver upgrade, I would have been pissed for having to pay for a driver. I know that most people got it built into the system, but what about the thousands who had already bout the prodcut that suddenly had to pay for it?

Ok, you clearly haven't heard of Sarbanes-Oxley.

I'm not really going to go into detail here, but the reason Apple has to, BY LAW, charge for the updates to the iPod touch is because the additions do not provide any direct revenue for the company. Google Sarbanes Oxley and read all about it (for days and days and days). No matter how much we may like Apple, they are not immune to the law. So call it bullshit if you want, but Apple's just doing what they have to do to be in compliance with the government.

The paid upgrade to wireless-n in the old iMacs falls under the same category; you weren't paying for the driver, you were paying for a feature unlocked by software that Apple couldn't provide for free.

With regards to the 5G iPod thing, did you ever think that there might be a hardware reason behind why they can't add rentals? Apple is notoriously good for creating hardware that last a long, long time, but in the case of them dealing with the movie companies, things move quickly. It could very well be that a software solution simply isn't possible, so it's not worth arguing about. Do you really think they don't want people with those iPod renting movies from them? If they could do it, they would. It's not about selling more iPods because people want to rent movies.

And yeah, iPods stop getting updates. Like when they completely change the platform (going from a third party OS [PortalPlayer] to OSX is a pretty big jump). I'm not crying because my 4G click wheel iPod isn't getting more functions. It does what I bought it for. Why should I expect anything more than that?

Edit, on the topic of phones: With yesterday's announcement, my company has decided that we'll support the iPhone in our infrastructure. Previously we only supported Blackberries since we own a BES. But since there really won't be much of anything to actually support when using ActiveSync, we're going to go ahead and hook up our iPhone users.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    As I am currently looking into getting a cell phone, should I invest in a iPhone? I'm a student, with wifi all over campus, but on the bus & train I would love to be able to use the internet there as well. Plus, the tremendous benefits of only carrying around one device for my pda/mp3 player/cell phone is a real plus in the iPhone's direction. I've looked at the Blackberry, but the devices internet capabilities remind me too much of "mobile web" nonsense.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Really? Out of all non-touchscreen devices the blackberry probably does it the best due to the trackball. With opera on it, it's ready to go.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Faricazy wrote: »
    Really? Out of all non-touchscreen devices the blackberry probably does it the best due to the trackball. With opera on it, it's ready to go.

Really? Wow, because every blackberry I've tried out in the store has their own proprietary web browser which sucks in ways that only mobile browsers can. I'll have to look into this.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Archgarth wrote: »

Really? Wow, because every blackberry I've tried out in the store has their own proprietary web browser which sucks in ways that only mobile browsers can. I'll have to look into this.
    I hear the stock browser isn't very good but Opera is very much available for it, yes. I'm actually getting a Curve 8310 in a couple of days but not sure about the data plan yet.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Archgarth wrote: »

I hear the stock browser isn't very good but Opera is very much available for it, yes. I'm actually getting a Curve 8310 in a couple of days but not sure about the data plan yet.

I viewed some images of Opera Mini in action, and of Internet Explorer on Windows Mobile 6.0, and I still find myself drawn to the iphone's internet capability more. I spend a lot of time on the bus/train, and having the real internet at my fingertips is a godsend.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hey guys, can you help me out with an American phone system query?

I'm moving to CA in the Fall, and I'm going to buy an iPhone, because I've wanted one since... well... ever. The gf is on Verizon, which I vehemently dislike because I do not like any of their phones. She wants to be able to call me for free.

What she says can happen is this:
    - She has an old handset, that we reactivate for a small charge onto a PAYG plan, or attached as a second phone to her Verizon contract.
    - I never use the handset to do anything but call people on Verizon, which would be on their In-Calling system.

She says if I do this, I've basically just got a phone that I can use to call her for free, without having to pay any charges whatsoever (aside from the small initial charge).

Is this possible? I'm skeptical that you can just have a PAYG phone and use it in that way, but she says she's done it. Not that I don't believe her, just that I think she may have forgotton some small but important detail :) The idea of attaching it to her contract I can believe.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Okay dudes, I saw this thread after popping down to the Verizon store last week, and I thought I might as well pose my question here.

I'm eligible for some upgrade credits like two weeks from now. I fucking hate my current phone, and I really want to upgrade, but I know if I upgrade now I might as well just throw my money away because I know I'm definitely going to want an Android-based phone when they debut.

So, does anyone know when exactly the first Android phones are going to come out? Additionally, will Verizon upgrade credits be valid towards the phones? How much are we looking at here?

@Lewisham: Sounds sketchy. I'm not sure you could do that, and even if you did, is carrying around two handsets really worth it?

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    @Lewisham: Sounds sketchy. I'm not sure you could do that, and even if you did, is carrying around two handsets really worth it?

I researched it. Obviously she remembers wrongly. PAYG will charge a dollar a day (at the minimum) for each call I make or receive. So that's liable to be at least 25 dollars. Activating a second line onto a contract will cost 35 dollars. I don't know where the fuck she got these stupid ideas from.

Anyway, I'm pretty screwed, so I'm asking in the iPod thread for reassurance that an iPod Touch will be OK and I won't always miss the fact I don't have an iPhone because of shitty Verizon and their shitty handsets. I mean, fuck, not one Nokia or Sony Ericsson? Motorola/LG/Samsung are universally bad.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    You could wait for an Android phone like me. They're going to be awesome.

Sushisource on
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    You could wait for an Android phone like me. They're going to be awesome.

I had actually forgotton that Android might be out by the time I arrive. If the price is right, having an Android phone would make a lot of sense (ie. not make me want to slit my wrists)

I just watched http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FJHYqE0RDg

Sergey shouldn't be allowed to talk :) But getting a basic bottom-end Android phone would be great.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yeah. They could've used a little bit of speech coaching...

But really, the platform looks fabulous and the phones can't debut soon enough.

Sushisource on
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    Seaborn111Seaborn111 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    i just ordered:
    motorola-q-q9-1.jpg

anyone have one/experience with one and wanna let me know what to expect?

i'm on a sprint sero plan, only had my phone 15 months and convinced them to give me the two year discount + the mail in rebate, total price 99 bucks. figured i shouldn't pass on it.

Seaborn111 on
    </bush>
    It's impossible for us to without a doubt prove the non-existence of God. We just have to take it on faith that he's imaginary..
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Seaborn111 wrote: »
    i just ordered:
    motorola-q-q9-1.jpg

i'm on a sprint sero plan, only had my phone 15 months and convinced them to give me the two year discount + the mail in rebate, total price 99 bucks. figured i shouldn't pass on it.

If it's anything like the first one, return it immediately. Get a Pearl or 8830.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Seaborn111Seaborn111 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Seaborn111 wrote: »
    i just ordered:
    motorola-q-q9-1.jpg

If it's anything like the first one, return it immediately. Get a Pearl or 8830.

eh, i'd take your advice on that but...2 things

1. both of those phones would cost me alot more, this offer was made for q9 only.

2. i hate blackberries. i hates them.

lol.

Seaborn111 on
    </bush>
    It's impossible for us to without a doubt prove the non-existence of God. We just have to take it on faith that he's imaginary..