As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

American Paladins are Fun

1424344454648»

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    Muhammad Ali is a terrorist.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    John Adams and George Washington were terrorists too. The King should have tortured the shit out of Ben Franklin until he told him where the others were hiding.

Hunter on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Did... did you just compare Adams, Washington, and Franklin to muslim extremists?

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Did... did you just compare Adams, Washington, and Franklin to muslim extremists?

How do you think the British crown viewed them? Honestly.

How about their warfare tactics? Do you understand how war was supposed to be fought back then and how we basically said fuck that noise?

Yes, if the American War for Independence ocured today, I believe their would be news reports about Minutemen terrorists attacking convoys, Muskets of Mass Destruction, Improvised Rifled Firearms, and the fact that the King was quartering troops in private homes for freedom.

Hunter on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Seriously, battles back then were dumb as hell. I mean, how do people just stand there fully exposed and trade shots with the other side, taking musket and cannon fire all the dooda day. Dudes back then were either hardcore or amazingly dumb.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    And theeen came the Indians, from whom we learned a thing called "guerilla warfare."

Virginia rilfe-men sittin in trees and sniping officers ftw.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    lostwords wrote: »
    Seriously, battles back then were dumb as hell. I mean, how do people just stand there fully exposed and trade shots with the other side, taking musket and cannon fire all the dooda day. Dudes back then were either hardcore or amazingly dumb.

It's how gentlemen did war. You also never specifically targeted officers, took breaks for tea or bad weather, and the opposing generals were known to dine together to discuss potential surrenders. It was so civilized.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    as far as brave or dumb:

if you broke rank, you would be executed

however, firearms back then were blindingly innacurate

so you actually had a better chance of surviving if you stood there, let the enemy fire at you, and then went to the back of the line to reload

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    And theeen came the Indians, from whom we learned a thing called "guerilla warfare."

Virginia rilfe-men sittin in trees and sniping officers ftw.

Nah man, we totally learned all that from Mel Gibson.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I actually do like that movie The Patriot.

Also Mel Gibson totally learned that shit from the indians.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    as far as brave or dumb:

so you actually had a better chance of surviving if you stood there, let the enemy fire at you, and then went to the back of the line to reload

Most of the Americans had rifles though, while their English or Hessian Mercenary opponents had smooth bore muskets. After some time, the leaders of the American forces decided to actually use that advantage. The rest is us winning.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well, yeah, but it's already established that the american revolution changed the way europeans practiced warfare

I was just explaining the rationalization for the old way of doing it

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hunter wrote: »
    as far as brave or dumb:

Most of the Americans had rifles though, while their English or Hessian Mercenary opponents had smooth bore muskets. After some time, the leaders of the American forces decided to actually use that advantage. The rest is us winning.

Wait a sec I thought Americans barely had any rifles, even for the regulars. I know militia almost exclusively used muskets (mostly because they were always thrown into the front lines) but even for trained military men rifles were saved for the few established sharpshooters

Javen on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

No, he learned it from Jesus.

Indians are totally Jew sympathizers and Mel won't have none of that shit.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    SoupSoup Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    does d&d have a time machine or something

because listening to them it sounds like clinton got the nomination and mccain already won the election

Soup on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    as far as brave or dumb:

I have here a book on the history of the military rifle and it says that rifles were rare on the American side (though the English had none) and the war was won by the conventional methods of the day. The English were still scared shit less of the American rifles though and considered them unfair and ungentlemenlike.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Javen wrote: »
    as far as brave or dumb:

Wait a sec I thought Americans barely had any rifles, even for the regulars. I know militia almost exclusively used muskets (mostly because they were always thrown into the front lines) but even for trained military men rifles were saved for the few established sharpshooters

No, the frontiersmen often had rifles for hunting animals for food and skins (cash). Rifles were were common enough, it's just that they were usually custom worked and not massed produced by the standards of the times. Also, large standing armies didn't need rifles for long ranged battles because that not how you fought back then.

Because the American fighters were often regular people who supplied their own weapon, they brought their rifle. They weren't issued a gun by a government or king, because they didn't have one.

On average, a rifle from that time period had nearly a 3x range advantage. It took a bit for the colonists to decide winning was more important than going toe to toe with the English like a good little soldier should. After that, it was ambush city meets picking you off across the field like retards.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Thus setting the trend for the deadliness of American riflemen, baby.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    secret religious affiliations to what

the church of good sense?
    damn that insidious CULT

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Without France the revolution would have failed.

France was like our Iran or Syria.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well without the American revolution, the French peasantry would never have grown the scrote to rebel themselves.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I still have to say there's quite a jump between guerrilla tactics intended to defeat or route a standing military and large-scale attacks against civilian targets.

Americans had more rifles than the Brits, but they were still fairly rare. The British actually had a professional army, their average soldier was better equipped, and they had a much more ready access to artillery and naval support at the beginning of the war.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Seriously, not getting the range upgrade on riflemen? That's retarded. You'd think the English would know that, given that they invented the range upgrade for archers.

Defender on
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited February 2008
    Soup wrote: »
    does d&d have a time machine or something

because listening to them it sounds like clinton got the nomination and mccain already won the election

No, just incredibly cynical and hopeless.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited February 2008
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Geek wrote: »

No, he learned it from Jesus.

Indians are totally Jew sympathizers and Mel won't have none of that shit.

We are not!

Do you see one Indian sitcom on? If we were so buddy buddy with the people who control the media, don't you think that we'd make more of an appearance in it?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    how jewy were they

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    hahaha

aren't jews for jesus just a scam to get the jewish folk to believe in the lord our god

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    oh sweet

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Fallout wrote: »
    hahaha

aren't jews for jesus just a scam to get the jewish folk to believe in the lord our god

considering Jesus was a Jew and all of his original followers were Jews, I don't know how much of a "scam" it would be

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Plus, it's not really a "scam" when you're honestly trying to get them to embrace the truth so they can go to heaven. It's pretty philanthropic, really.

Defender on
  • Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Jews for Jesus started as a (Gentile) Christian ministry evangelizing to Jews. I do't know hoe many Jews were running it in the beginning. While it's still supported financially by many of the same people, it's now run by people who identify as Jewish Christians, mostly former mainstream Jews who converted. They tend to work mostly with non-practicing and liberal Jews because conservative and orthodox Jews have a much stronger tendency to be just happy where they are thank you very much.

Messianic Jewish congregations tend to be small and scattered, often forced to exist as a sub-group within another Christian congregation because there usually just aren't that many of them in any one place. The whole idea is uniformly rejected by mainstream Jewish leaders, for obvious reasons.

The ties between the more conservative side of Judaism and Ethiopic Orthodoxy also always intrigued me. How and why those ties are there isn't all that interesting, I just think it's neat that they are.

laughingfuzzball on