As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Libertarianism Thread

• Options
    KevinNashKevinNash Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Scores:

Dyscord: 0
    kaliyama: 7
    titmouse: 7
    Thinatos: 8
    AngelHedgie: 9
    Sal: 9
    zakkiel: 10
    Derrick: 11
    Smasher: 11
    Kartan: 11
    SolidGobi: 12
    Elki: 12
    Ethan Smith: 12
    Picardathon: 14
    The Cat: 15
    Duki: 15
    Kipling217: 16
    ElJeffe: 17
    Shinto: 17
    Argus: 19
    sp1ttle: 19
    Loren Michael: 20
    Apothe0sis: 20
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud: 23
    Jragghen: 30
    KungFu: 36
    Fallout2man: 42
    themightypuck: 43
    slowroll: 44
    Specularity: 47
    Organichu: 48
    Mithrandir86: 49
    KevinNash: 72
    Mace1370: 83
    Onslaught_Fei: 90

Anyone else?

KevinNash on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    KevinNash wrote: »
    Take the Libertarian Purity test here: http://www.bcaplan.com/cgi-bin/purity.cgi

I only scored a 72/155. According to this guy I'm a moderate ;-).

I'd be interested to see how other people score if anyone would care to post their results.

7/155, as a moderate, market-oriented leftie. Of course, this quiz is essentially that scientologist one they give you, where if you answer yes to questions like 'sometimes i am sad, sometimes i am happy', you are a prime candidate for dianetics. Seriously, who doesn't think taxes are too high? Or that "If it has to fight a war, should the U.S. try harder to avoid civilian targets?."

edit: Oh, he's from George Mason. It's like the chicago school of economics, except that you replace all of the erudite paleocons with buck-toothed neocons...

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Small l liberals would be the Tories? Wuh?

Hey man I didn't write the shit, I just quoted it.

And yeah, good luck finding a clear and fully developed definition of any buzzword in politics, Loren. And conservatism is just that nowadays. Different meanings to different people, built up over too long a time in too many different countries to get any clear definition. So much so that now they generally mean what people want them to mean when they're saying them.

I mean, I could tell you what the phrase means to me, but does it really matter? Just one more goddamn unique definition.

Although I always did like El Jeffe's, on his old blog.

Edit: Hell, just looking at the Wikipedia article on it now is a fucking quagmire. All sorts of definitions and a bunch that contradict each other.

Not to mention when the language itself is transformed, like how economic liberalism is actually championed by fiscal conservatives. Then you're just asking for a headache.

Duki on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    kaliyama wrote: »
    Take the Libertarian Purity test here: http://www.bcaplan.com/cgi-bin/purity.cgi

I'd be interested to see how other people score if anyone would care to post their results.

7/155, as a moderate, market-oriented leftie. Of course, this quiz is essentially that scientologist one they give you, where if you answer yes to questions like 'sometimes i am sad, sometimes i am happy', you are a prime candidate for dianetics. Seriously, who doesn't think taxes are too high? Or that "If it has to fight a war, should the U.S. try harder to avoid civilian targets?."

Well sure it's hardly scientific.

But that first question only gives you 1 point with a yes answer. The other sections (where the questions are a lot more extreme) give you 3 or 5. I consider myself pretty hardcore and I answered "No" to almost every question in part 3.

I anticipate most people will score low on this forum.

Edit: I'm not trying to prove a point here I'm just honestly curious.

KevinNash on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2008
    I got a 48. It would probably be a little higher but for me not picking '...by 50 percent' on a few questions. I think cuts are necessary but that seemed like a drastic figure.

Organichu on
  • Options
    SolidGobiSolidGobi Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Scores:

kaliyama: 7
    Loren Michael: 20
    Apothe0sis: 20
    Organichu: 48
    KevinNash: 72

Anyone else?

I got a 12, I was really disturbed that some people would select yes for some of thoses answers....

SolidGobi on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    kaliyama wrote: »

edit: Oh, he's from George Mason. It's like the chicago school of economics, except that you replace all of the erudite paleocons with buck-toothed neocons...

I think I'd end up with a near zero score if the questions were more nuanced/were most than just y/n.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    I got 20 too.

Will you go out with me?
    15, but holy balls, talk about loaded questions dependant on lack of context.

Libertarians aren't too bright.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The Cat wrote: »
    I got 20 too.

Will you go out with me?

Same as you, surprise surprise.

Goddamn that was a shitty quiz.

Duki on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I got 20 too.

Will you go out with me?

I GUESS I'M 20/160 NOT TOO BRIGHT THEN, BITCH

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Duki wrote: »
    I got 20 too.

Will you go out with me?

Same as you, surprise surprise.

Goddamn that was a shitty quiz.

Um ok how about this. The LOWER you score the more AWESOME you are!! Happy now?

Everyone go take the quiz!

KevinNash on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2008

*does a little dance*

*makes a little love*

*is getting down tonight*

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Elki wrote: »

*does a little dance*

*makes a little love*

*is getting down tonight WITH ORGANICHU*

I like your style, Elki.

Organichu on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    An internet quiz full of loaded questions? Never thought I'd see the day.

I am interested in returning to the discussion from the previous Ron Paul thread wherein Onslaught_Fei alleged that federal civil rights laws were unconstitutional, but the ones on the books were somehow permissible because those laws were already enacted.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    I got 20 too.

Will you go out with me?

I GUESS I'M 20/160 NOT TOO BRIGHT THEN, BITCH
    I GUESS YOU DON'T MAKE THE CUT DEAL WITH IT!

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Also I got 0. What do I win?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Dyscord wrote: »
    An internet quiz full of loaded questions? Never thought I'd see the day.

I am interested in returning to the discussion from the previous Ron Paul thread wherein Onslaught_Fei alleged that federal civil rights laws were unconstitutional, but the ones on the books were somehow permissible because those laws were already enacted.

Commerce clause you've foiled us once again.

I'd prefer to see portions of the law made into a constitutional amendment and have the act abolished.

KevinNash on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

A meager ration of bread and cheese from here unto the end of your days.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Don't even like freedom of expression huh? I'll add you to the scores list.

KevinNash on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    After a while I didn't read all the questions anymore, so I might've missed that one.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    That was one of the earliest ones.

Duki on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

I'm guessing the pinnacle score here is a bit (or a bunch) off what most would consider hard-core lib? I mean shit, it was pretty much blanket anarchism "let's-live-in-the-woods-and-trade-berries" kind of questions.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    43 but agree with the lack of context complaints. As a registered Democrat I'm outraged by my views.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So, uh, wait a minute. There are people that actually answer "yes" to some of these questions?

"Should we abolish worker safety regulation?"

"Should we abolish public schools and universities?"

"Should highways and roads be privatized?"

"Should all legislation be replaced by judge-made law, arbitration, and other private rule-suppliers?"

Who the fuck says "yeah, great idea!" to that kind of shit?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    So, uh, wait a minute. There are people that actually answer "yes" to some of these questions?

I believe in free speech and don't have any particular problem with the legalization of MJ (not a user myself, just don't see anything wrong with it). Maybe they also snuck a few other rational questions in there on us. Unlike some, I actually read all the questions :lol:

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

"Should is be morally permissible to have vigilante justice, even against politicians?"

Only if you're batman.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Derrick wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »

I believe in free speech and don't have any particular problem with the legalization of MJ (not a user myself, just don't see anything wrong with it). Maybe they also snuck a few other rational questions in there on us. Unlike some, I actually read all the questions :lol:
    If it has to fight a war, should the U.S. try harder to avoid civilian targets?
    There are, obviously, some very loaded questions. Thinking the U.S. should continue to avoid civilian casualties doesn't make me more Libertarian, it makes me not an uncaring douche.

Quid wrote: »
    QUESTION: How would monopolies keep from forming without government interference?
    Eh? Eh?

Quid on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I got a seven on the test.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2008
    I got 17. I'd be scared to be in a dark alley with anyone who scored more than about 80.
    Quid wrote: »
    QUESTION: How would monopolies keep from forming without government interference?

Well, we never had any actual monopolies before the government formed anti-trust laws. We had big fucking companies like Standard Oil, but they never achieved 100% market share. They were actually well on the decline before they were broken up for being an illegal monopoly, and had dropped from something like a 90% market share to a 60% market share before government stepped in.

In our modern, post anti-trust era? Well, we have the NFL and the MLB, the former of which was found to be an illegal monopoly in the 80s and suffered pretty much no repercussions (and is still essentially a monopoly), and the latter of which hasn't had a successful suit filed against it yet.

So... yeah, go go anti-trust laws.

I mean, there are certainly such things as "unfair business practices", and the regulations against these are Very Good Things. But the existence of monopolies historically has pretty much squat to do with the existence of anti-trust laws.

edit: There are the phone companies, of course, but the government pretty much built AT&T into the behemoth it became in the first place, so it's sort of a screwy example.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    MLB has an explicit antitrust exemption.

As for Standard oil, the two largest companies to come out of the breakup were New Jersey Oil and New York Oil. These later became Exxon and Mobile, respectively. And now, hey, Exxon and Mobile are one company again. We need to get more aggressive in antitrust.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Should the police be privatized? Should the courts be privatized?

IF YOU ANSWERED YES TO THESE QUESTIONS SHOW YOURSELF RIGHT NOW!

There's a room, I need to show you it.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I thought the main problem in the gilded age was that while the companies remained technically independent, the colluded and formed cartels such as trusts to fix prices and eliminate competition.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Political corruption was also pretty terrible at the time.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I like some of the stuff in libertarianism, like the government stepping out of people's lives in a way. The war on drugs, especially the softer drugs like weed, is a huge waste of time and money. The idea of doing whatever the hell I want to as long as it doesn't impinge on the rights of others to do the same thing is pretty great, but that sounds a lot like how society operates right now.

The government should protect its citizens. Different people have different ideas about what exactly protection is. I think there should be national healthcare for every person in the nation, maybe paid for with taxes or something.

"The market" cannot look after itself. Hell, the government can barely look after it. I don't think businesses can be trusted to look after it either-- look at what is going with mortgages in the US right now.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2008
    MLB has an explicit antitrust exemption.

Which has been denied to every other sports league, basically because everyone agrees the MLB exemption is retarded, yet won't lift it.
    As for Standard oil, the two largest companies to come out of the breakup were New Jersey Oil and New York Oil. These later became Exxon and Mobile, respectively. And now, hey, Exxon and Mobile are one company again. We need to get more aggressive in antitrust.

Yes, because Exxon Mobile clearly represents a monopoly, if you completely ignore the existence of BP, Shell, Chevron, and all the others. Two companies merging is not a monopoly, or even necessarily a bad thing. And your post still doesn't address the point that we have more monopolistic behavior following the creation of anti-trust laws than we did before.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Willy-Bob GracchusWilly-Bob Gracchus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    titmouse wrote: »
    I thought the main problem in the gilded age was that while the companies remained technically independent, the colluded and formed cartels such as trusts to fix prices and eliminate competition.

Exactly - oligopoly has all the succulent, wonderful badness of monopoly.

Willy-Bob Gracchus on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Who-hooo 16 on the test.

Apparently that makes me a soft-core libertarian.

I kinda balked at the "do you aprove of vigilante style justice, even against goverment figures" question

The presecution complexs is so much easier to understand now.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    slowrollslowroll __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    It is probably the upper limit for this forum.

slowroll on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

"Should is be morally permissible to have vigilante justice, even against politicians?"

Only if you're batman.

I got 30.

And I answered that one yes, if only because it used the word 'morally.' For example, (pardon the goodwin), I would have found it morally permissible for a German in the 40s to use vigilante justice against Hitler. I would not have been surprised if said vigilante was then held to the law for his actions, but in terms of morals....sure, I can see situations where vigilante justice is perfectly permissible.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    8, and I'm kind of ashamed that it's that high.

Thanatos on