As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pulse beneath Right Eye

Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So about a week and a half ago while I was staying up late watching Arrested Development with my friend, I began to have a noticeable pulse under my right eye. I could feel it, I could see it in the mirror, and it was annoying as shit. I felt nauseous and headachey that night in bed, but when I woke up, all the symptoms were gone.

Fast forward to this week. Either Monday or Tuesday it started up again, I'm not entirely sure. There are times when it's so subtle that I can't feel it, there are times when it intrudes on my vision. I know for a fact I brought it up on Tuesday, so it must have been going then, but beyond that I don't know. From morning to night, every day. I thought it had been getting better lately; last night at a party around 10 or 11, it felt like it was gone, so I asked a friend and she said it was incredibly subtle and she wouldn't have noticed it unless we were directly under light. I later came home and stayed up till 2 on my computer, and it got much, much worse, eventually making me go to bed. Looking in the mirror, it was literally lifting my entire lower eyelid up and my right eye felt aggravated as if I had allergies.

It's definitely not a muscle twitch; it happens with every heartbeat, and isn't actually my eyelid, though my eyelid can be affected by the size of the pulse.

What should I do?

Charles Kinbote on

• nizlopinizlopi Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Its to do with stress and not enough sleep, its totally normal, trust me, I get it a lot too.

nizlopi on
  • ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah its definately stress. I get the same thing sometime. It could last for a while but it will definately go away in a week or two.

Right now i have a wicked annoying twitch on my forehead.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I had heard stress, sleep and dehydration as causes; I'm relieved the answer wasn't an immediate "Get to your doctor".

It's strange, because there are a lot of reasons I could be stressed right now (college, upcoming finals, etc), but I really don't feel that stress. Yesterday, however, a friend tried to give me a back rub and I realized that my back muscles felt like they were stretched across my back incredibly tightly.

Guess I am stressed. Huh.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That's what's great about stress. A lot of people, myself included, don't let out any sort of visible signs of stress, like exasperation, heavy sighs, yelling, crying, freaking out in general, so the symptoms manifest themselves physically. Sometimes it is a cold or sometimes it is a muscle issue or indigestion. It's weird. I get the same thing.

The only thing to do is to get more sleep and to do something relaxing that doesn't cause you to tense up (neither of these things are especially easy. It takes work to relax).

Uncle Long on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I had it when I had a fever. It doesn't really have to be stress-for-something-stressful-stress, your body can get stressed out over a whole lot of things. :(

Related: is there even a way to get rid of the twitch? It annoys me and I'm getting the feeling that people who look at me think I'm going to flip out like a ninja or something.

Aldo on
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    There is a nerve in your face that is dying. As it goes out, it also goes a little haywire. This is from my boss's wife, who is an assistant to an ophthalmologist. She says there is nothing to worry about and it should go away in 2 weeks at the most.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Bebop7Bebop7 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    Craaazy, I developed this same thing exactly when you did! It's definitely worse on days after I get <5 hours of sleep.

Temporary relief = hot washrag on the offending eye.

Let's both hope this goes away... mine is rather annoying and almost painful.

Bebop7 on
    DesolationJones.png