As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] UI stands for "User Interface," not "u idiot"

• Options
    JimBobtheMonkeyJimBobtheMonkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    so how about that slash command to open linklist :D

JimBobtheMonkey on
  • Options
    MephistophelesMephistopheles Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Anyone have a link to a guide for configuring Prat? I can't even figure out how to re-enable a module. Much less how to get my combat log to look all awesome and decipherable. Plus there's no description for what the modules do. Fade Text won't even fade my text out. Any idea if I've got some kind of addon interference going on? The only other chat addon I have is Saeris's.

Oh, and anyone use QuestHelper? It's incredibly awesome, although it's been bugging out on me recently (not picking up quest objectives, etc). LightHeaded and TomTom are great, but it's the automatic clearing of waypoints in QH I love. I don't even have to read what the quest text is with it.

Mephistopheles on
    "Friends are just enemies in reverse."
    - Gary Busey
    A Glass, Darkly
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Anyone have a link to a guide for configuring Prat? I can't even figure out how to re-enable a module. Much less how to get my combat log to look all awesome and decipherable. Plus there's no description for what the modules do. Fade Text won't even fade my text out. Any idea if I've got some kind of addon interference going on? The only other chat addon I have is Saeris's.

Ditto for me. My problem seems to be with the player name module. Does it only display player level and player class color if you can see the other player? Or if they, too, are using Prat? Because it seems to be working only part of the time.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Ditto for me. My problem seems to be with the player name module. Does it only display player level and player class color if you can see the other player? Or if they, too, are using Prat? Because it seems to be working only part of the time.
    It seems to save data of whoever you /who or are in the same guild/party with etc. So it wont work for some dude you've never seen who's chatting in trade or whatever.

815165 on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That's exactly it. Also, Prat doesn't modify the combat log; for that, you'll want something along the lines of SimpleCombatLog.

Here's the Prat thread on the WoWace forums. Most Ace addons have a discussion thread, rather than actual documentation.

Most of the configuration is done through the /prat slash command, or the FuBar menu button. It's possible that it will create a minimap button in the absence of FuBar, but I can't double-check that at the moment due to maintenance.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This my UI with just about everything going on minus maybe my pet. Xperl is a little bulky looking, but all in all I really like my set up. I wish I had a widescreen moniter.

WoWScrnShot_011808_110951.jpg

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Anyone know of a way to change the default text color in Fubar? I've poked around the .lua files and can't find it.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    suttbeckssuttbecks Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I've noticed that a bunch of people's UIs don't have their bags or their character/talent/quest menu on them. Why is that, is it a Titan Panel thing?

suttbecks on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    suttbecks wrote: »
    I've noticed that a bunch of people's UIs don't have their bags or their character/talent/quest menu on them. Why is that, is it a Titan Panel thing?
    I'm guessing most people have them hotkeyed, I don't have any of the above visible on screen either.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    815165 wrote: »
    I'm guessing most people have them hotkeyed, I don't have any of the above visible on screen either.
    Hell the UI I'm working on now doesn't even use action bars. The only things on the screen are unit frames, the minimap, and an auto-shrinking, auto-hiding chat frame. Well, and Fubar.

(well, in all honesty, I do have a hiding action bar, but it's only because shit like my Moonglade portal and leatherworking aren't worth hotkeying)

I don't understand how people deal with all the fugliness and clutter and disgusting over-prevalence of information on most mods. And using Bindpad and hidden action bars with some good macros and/or stance shifting, there's just no reason to deal with it.

Once I finish up my case work for tonight and get some WoW time, I'll post screens of my UI-in-progress.

(and as for the bags, bit, 1. get a decent inventory mod, 2. press b, 3. get rid of that fugly-ass bag bar)

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    s3rial one wrote: »
    Hell the UI I'm working on now doesn't even use action bars. The only things on the screen are unit frames, the minimap, and an auto-shrinking, auto-hiding chat frame. Well, and Fubar.
    I'd so do that if i wasn't playing a tank; need the cooldowns too much. :( Knowing how much screen space i could save that way is actually weirdly depressing.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I'd so do that if i wasn't playing a tank; need the cooldowns too much. :( Knowing how much screen space i could save that way is actually weirdly depressing.
    I think you'd be surprised what you can do with mods like Quartz and ClassCooldown. Alternatively - and this is something I'm toying with doing - I might put a large 6-button action bar up near my unit frames, just for things like Warstomp, Innervate, Barkskin, and Cyclone, and then stick OmniCC in the mix so they work as cooldown displays.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I think you'd be surprised what you can do with mods like Quartz and ClassCooldown. Alternatively - and this is something I'm toying with doing - I might put a large 6-button action bar up near my unit frames, just for things like Warstomp, Innervate, Barkskin, and Cyclone, and then stick OmniCC in the mix so they work as cooldown displays.
    Gonna mess with that tonight, I'm using 24 buttons per stance at the moment but I'm pretty sure I could reduce that alot (when's the last time I used cleave whilst tanking?) and save a pretty cool ammount of space that way.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Here's what I've got so far. Still a fair amount of work to do to get the aesthetic elements as I want them, but it's perfectly functional right now. Raid and group frames are set up. Things like SWstats, oRA, etc. aren't, yet.

ui1sxw3.jpg

ui2spp3.jpg

Visible mods: Aloft, Buffalo, Bartender3, Prat, Minichat, SimpleMiniMap, beql, Fubar (various plugins), Pitbull, Quartz, OmniCC

The raid frames tile down the left edge of the screen. Same basic layout as the target of target one (under the target): charcoal health, small blue mana bar, class-colored name on the health bar.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

I've been moving in the same direction, though I still have one action bar.

As an intermediate step, I left two 5 button bars at super tiny size that are hotkeyed.. gives me a fast visual clue which hotkey is which if I get a brain fart.

Most of my most common spells (flash heal, gheal, pom) don't have on screen buttons anymore, they're keys in the area around wasd that I set up with BindPad. Anything with an on-screen key tends to be rarely used, or something I don't want to fatfinger (ie, stones, cooldown abilities, etc).

xzzy on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2008
    Mods like Hourglass can serve most of your cooldown monitoring needs. I also have Parrot notify me of cooldowns that are ready.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Raid and group frames are set up. Things like SWstats, oRA, etc. aren't, yet.

Raid frames and raid mods are the fast track to a shitty UI. :(

http://xzzy.org/files/games/wow/jan2008.jpg

xzzy on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The last UI thread was all about good interfaces to use and where to get them and people posting screenshots.

This one is just Saeris and Echo being scary to each other.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    xzzy wrote: »

Here's a mock-up of my raid UI as it's currently laid out.

Thinking of breaking up the raid frames by party, hiding the party display in a raid, and putting the entirety of the raid where the party frames currently are.

I like raid frames, aesthetically speaking, because it spares me having to use something like Grid; nothing Click2Cast and Decursive can't handle.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Here's a mock-up of my raid UI as it's currently laid out.

DEE COLON

I'd kill myself if I had to heal a raid using that.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I'd kill myself if I had to heal a raid using that.

Yeah. This is exactly why healers love Grid. You don't have to move across the entire height of the screen to home in on the guy that needs healing.

My current Grid layout that I'm very happy with:

grid.jpg

edit: oh god, the jpeg artifacts. Can't I get it to save as tga or png again somehow?

Echo on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    New raid layout.

EDIT: Hrm... I should reduce the width of the individual raiders.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Also, I demand that maintenace be over with so I can get back to work on my UI!

Echo on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Are there any small spell alert type addons that you can configure to show when the enemy is casting a particular spell? I get too overwhelmed with information and inaccuracy from stuff like NECB in PVP, which I know I should be better about but I'm not going to be. But it would be cool to be able to flag specific things like "SomeMage casts Summon Water Elemental" to pop up in my SCT frame during arenas without being spammed by every one of the spells flying around us.

riz on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hmm... you might give Antagonist a shot. It has three bars by default: one for enemy cooldowns, one for enemy buffs and one for enemy casting, spell names included. By disabling the cooldown and buff modules, you'll just have a castbar that will only show what your current target is casting.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Dongpuller wrote: »
    Hmm... you might give Antagonist a shot. It has three bars by default: one for enemy cooldowns, one for enemy buffs and one for enemy casting, spell names included. By disabling the cooldown and buff modules, you'll just have a castbar that will only show what your current target is casting.

Summon Water Elemental is instant. Unless Antagonist also shows instant casts...

exis on
  • Options
    FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Is there a mod that would automatically click off salv for me when I go into bear form? I seem to have kind of a bad habit of forgetting to do so, which tends to cause problems, but I don't want something that will just automatically click it off since I'm not tanking all the time.

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Fodder wrote: »
    Is there a mod that would automatically click off salv for me when I go into bear form? I seem to have kind of a bad habit of forgetting to do so, which tends to cause problems, but I don't want something that will just automatically click it off since I'm not tanking all the time.

If you use keybindings to switch forms you could make a macro that removes it when you change to bear and just never click the stancebar.

exis on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    exis wrote: »

If you use keybindings to switch forms you could make a macro that removes it when you change to bear and just never click the stancebar.
    What would the macro command to get rid of a buff be?

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Whee.

I keep changing my mind as to what style I want to go for, but I'm happy with this. Switched out to a HUD instead of unit frames, and I like it much, much, more.
    sotcea7.jpg

s3rial one on
  • Options
    suttbeckssuttbecks Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    ugh, I wouldn't be able to stand staring at that font all the time

suttbecks on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The trick is to not stare at it all the time.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

It's surprisingly reminiscent of my old everquest UI. ;)

http://xzzy.org/files/games/eq/bestuiintheworld.jpg

I've always liked the black border and semi-opaque background look.

xzzy on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

It's surprisingly reminiscent of my old everquest UI. ;)

http://xzzy.org/files/games/eq/bestuiintheworld.jpg

I've always liked the black border and semi-opaque background look.

Is that sum FPoK I see on that spellbar?

EDIT: Nevermind, I looked at the combat log :P

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited January 2008

/cancelaura Greater Blessing of Salvation
    /cancelaura Blessing of Salvation
    /cast Dire Bear Form

should do it. Our MT had a macro for sunder or something that would drop buffs she didn't want. Including Fear Ward :(

exis on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    should do it. Our MT had a macro for sunder or something that would drop buffs she didn't want. Including Fear Ward :(
    Maybe it's just because I'm not some uber raider, but I fail to see why anyone would ever not want Fear Ward.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

/cancelaura Greater Blessing of Salvation
    /cancelaura Blessing of Salvation
    /cast Dire Bear Form

Is there anyway that could be adjusted to shift you out if you were in bear form? >.>

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

As an intermediate step, I left two 5 button bars at super tiny size that are hotkeyed.. gives me a fast visual clue which hotkey is which if I get a brain fart.

Most of my most common spells (flash heal, gheal, pom) don't have on screen buttons anymore, they're keys in the area around wasd that I set up with BindPad. Anything with an on-screen key tends to be rarely used, or something I don't want to fatfinger (ie, stones, cooldown abilities, etc).

I'd love to just hide my actionbars. My problem is that I'm a warlock (stupid need a lot of buttons) and I use bartender as a quick and dirty way of changing my keybinds (drag and drop curses, abilities, etc), and it would be hard to break that habit.

Do you have all your frequently used stuff (like trinkets and such) macroed into other buttons? Do you just keep all your rarely used abilities on those small bars, or cast them out of the spellbook or something?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Maybe it's just because I'm not some uber raider, but I fail to see why anyone would ever not want Fear Ward.

It was because when we first got it our priests would all cast it on her every chance we got. She can stance dance through any fear mechanic in the game (the exception maybe being Archimonde) so she did it just to spite us.

exis on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Dyscord wrote: »

I'd love to just hide my actionbars. My problem is that I'm a warlock (stupid need a lot of buttons) and I use bartender as a quick and dirty way of changing my keybinds (drag and drop curses, abilities, etc), and it would be hard to break that habit.

Do you have all your frequently used stuff (like trinkets and such) macroed into other buttons? Do you just keep all your rarely used abilities on those small bars, or cast them out of the spellbook or something?
    Well, in that last shot above, the small bars only have two kinds of abilities: stuff that's not worth macroing, and stuff that I want to monitor cooldowns for.

All of my combat abilities are on hidden BT3 bars that page depending on stance.

Ultimately, I decided that a totally barless build just wasn't worth it, because instead of my screen real estate being taken up by action bars, it was taken up by cooldown timer bars. At least the action bars can look nice.

EDIT: Since it's a new page, posting the image so what I'm talking about makes some sense.
    uiln8.jpg

Also, anyone not using Baggins as their bag mod needs to do so now.

bagginsdj7.jpg

s3rial one on
This discussion has been closed.