As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New to PAX? Read this first and ask questions here

• Options
    ShineyBlueShoesShineyBlueShoes Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ok my mistake, the regular rates on the Sheraton and Roosevelt are like $250 and the Hyatt's $300.

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • Options
    X1ZeroX1Zero Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Probably the easiest, trouble free way to book is to simply call.

I called the Hyatt, dropped the name "Penny Arcade" and got the stated discount rate for the Regency Club rooms. I didn't even need to mention the code. Plus, hotel staff via the phone are very polite :)

X1Zero on
    - X1Zero
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Whats the Regency Club room like?

I don't see any info on it. Just says king/double with a $50 more price tag.

parabola on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'm afraid to ask, but a flight from SoFla to Seattle is most assuredly a bank-breaker, isn't it. :|

I wouldn't even consider arranging a drive that far. Any good suggestions on a reputable airline, and estimated cost/time?

Not really. Considering that you'd be traveling major routes, you'll have an easy time finding good rates. You could try looking into the low-cost carriers like Southwest and JetBlue.

Where you get financially reamed is when you're traveling from or to a minor regional airport. I have to pay about $340 for a flight to Seattle...which is about an hour and a half.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Relativiox wrote: »
    Well to save BigRed from breaking someone that does seem to be the consensus though considering these are all like $300+ a night hotels I don't think you can really go wrong.

Umm, all the hotels are around $150-$160 a night.

I think he was referring to the standard rack rate for the room. Considering that the rate for the corner suites are $300/night normally...

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The entire hotel is $300 a night usually.

parabola on
  • Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'm afraid to ask, but a flight from SoFla to Seattle is most assuredly a bank-breaker, isn't it. :|

I wouldn't even consider arranging a drive that far. Any good suggestions on a reputable airline, and estimated cost/time?

Not really. Considering that you'd be traveling major routes, you'll have an easy time finding good rates. You could try looking into the low-cost carriers like Southwest and JetBlue.

Where you get financially reamed is when you're traveling from or to a minor regional airport. I have to pay about $340 for a flight to Seattle...which is about an hour and a half.

I thought LAX was pretty major but it's still $304 (taxes included) to get up there, and it is a 2.5 hour flight. It's like that the whole month. Though happily it's only $10 more to fly out of Long Beach, which is tons better than having to drive to LA.

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I thought LAX was pretty major but it's still $304 (taxes included) to get up there, and it is a 2.5 hour flight. It's like that the whole month. Though happily it's only $10 more to fly out of Long Beach, which is tons better than having to drive to LA.

Um, if you're leaving out of the LA area, you should seriously look into the West Coast Train Trip.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Okay, here's How Not To Irritate The Front Desk Staff (from an ex-night auditor.)

First off, if your arrival time will be impacted in any serious way (like you're going to be hitting the hotel later than midnight), let the front desk know! The hotel will usually begin doing the night audit (closing out the day's books, determining occupancy rate, etc.) at about 1-2 AM. If you have not checked in or notified the facility of a late check-in, the auditor WILL charge you for the night and cancel the rest of your booking. If, on the other hand, you call ahead, the staff will be happy to make accommodations for your late arrival - be it delaying the audit or changing your booking (I would often times, for a guest with a VERY late check-in that called in, let them get to the room and charge half their rack rate for that night.)

Second, please understand that when the clerk tells you that they can't tell you what room number your buddies are in, it's because the clerk's bound by law not to disclose that information. However, they will be more than happy to ring the room for you. Also, if you ask this at the front desk, you'll probably get redirected to the courtesy phones. Don't take this personal. First, it's easier on the clerk to patch you through that way. Second, you're not clogging up the desk if you're at the white phone.

Third, please remember that depending on what time of day it is, there may limited staff on duty. Especially if it's late, there will be fewer staff on duty. So if you call for something, it may take a bit. Please respect this. Also realize that certain facilities may be closed at certain hours. Usually, access to the gym and pool will be limited late at night, much for the same reasons. It's a liability issue, there's nothing they can do about it, please don't get upset.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    It's all so simple and yet so many people don't get it. Suppose it all goes back to:
    CatBoy wrote: »
    20. Your best public manners. (You'd be surprised how many people forget to bring these along.)

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • Options
    waffleboi9waffleboi9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This is an amazing thread. Thanks to all who contributed some PAX wisdom! Also, thanks for asking good questions.

Here are some nuggets I've culled from going to other cons (this will be my first PAX) to help YOU maximize your enjoyment!

0) Don't forget your phone charger. 'Nuff said.
    0a) Bring a power strip to plug in all your chargeables. If you're sharing a hotel room, it is likely that you will run out of outlets without one.

1) Deodorant has been mentioned before, but it is so important that it deserves it's own bullet point...again.

2) Try to clear your decks as much as possible before departing. Basically, if you have any commitments or obligations that might distract you, and you can easily take care of them before the trip, I say do it. Last time I went to a con I had a paper due a day after I got back. It weighed my mind down during the con, when I couldn't do anything about it anyway, and I definitely would have had a better time if I had taken care of it before I left.

3) I'll add more to this post as I recall more lessons learned.

Peace, K

waffleboi9 on
  • Options
    KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    waffleboi9 wrote: »
    0) Don't forget your phone charger. 'Nuff said.

Oh man, I have left several charges in hotels and friend's houses over the years. Finally I just bought a second one and now KEEP IT IN MY SUITCASE. That way I don't have to pack up the one at home and if I forget the spare at the hotel I know I've got one still.

I'm repeating this, because it bears repeating:

1. YES, you need to shower every day.

2. Use the deodorant/anti-perspirant of your choice at least once per day. Bring a travel size with you to the WSCTC if need be.

3. Like the cake, the Axe commerical is a lie: no shower funk + body spray is NOT, I repeat NOT acceptable.

In fact, throw out all Axe/Tag body sprays you and your friends own. You will be doing them a favor and society at large a great service.

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • Options
    delwyndelwyn Melbourne, AURegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ok, I'm a DS noob, but it seems like they're almost a passport to get in the door at PAX :)

Given that, this seems a likely place for my question - what games should I "absolutely must have" for the shiny DS I'll be getting?

Del. (why isn't it August yet?)

delwyn on
    find / -name base -user you -exec chown -R us {} \;
    vgjxaRK.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Seriously, if Axe was sold 100 years ago it would be miracle snake oil that was supposed to attract skanks.

Well the new Advance Wars Day of Ruin is probably a good start and in a couple days Professor Layton and the Curious Village comes out. Of course there's also New Super Mario Brothers, Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass and Pokemon Diamond/Pearl for more traditional Nintendo franchises. Probably Mario Kart DS too which is arguably the best iteration and the multiplayer always rocks. Otherwise it's all going to depend on what genres you like. Oh and Contra 4, Elite Beat Agents and any Castlevania or Phoenix Wright games you can still find.

There's a lot of stuff going out between now and PAX too that should be great to have with you. I'm really looking forward to some Crystal Chronicles and Civilization multiplayer action.

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    It's all so simple and yet so many people don't get it. Suppose it all goes back to:
    CatBoy wrote: »
    20. Your best public manners. (You'd be surprised how many people forget to bring these along.)

Well, a lot of people forget that the desk clerks are people too.

Oh, that reminds me, and this is a biggie: There's a reason why people staying at a hotel are called "guests". Your continued stay at the hotel is completely at the will of the hotel staff. If you are making too much noise and upsetting the rooms around you - you WILL be asked to leave.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    delwyndelwyn Melbourne, AURegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Thanks for all those recommendations and links Shiney. I'll do some research and start planning purchases.

I have a PSP and prefer turn-based games on that (currently enthralled by Jeanne d'Arc) as the interface doesn't feel comfortable for anything needing a fast response. I realise that the DS is an entirely different proposition in that regard thanks to the stylus and touch screen, so knowing what other gamers have enjoyed (as opposed to game reviewers ;)) is a good starting place.

Del.

delwyn on
    find / -name base -user you -exec chown -R us {} \;
    vgjxaRK.png
  • Options
    KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Last year pretty much everyone was playing Mario Kart and Tetris in multiplayer DS groups at one point or another. Personally, I brought all of my games (okay, less than 10) so I'd say bring what you love to play and you'll be fine. One Tetris catridge supports like 5 other players, so you don't have to bring it unless you want to host.
    Seriously, if Axe was sold 100 years ago it would be miracle snake oil that was supposed to attract skanks.

*laugh* So true.

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Oh yea and Tetris if you can find it at a reasonable price because for some reason it's out of print. Don't know who made that brilliant decision when it's probably the most played game ever and the system isn't really slowing down in sales and it's the game that pretty much single handedly made the Gameboy what it was. At least they still sell Mario Kart.

Also if you're big into the turn based strategy then Advance Wars is about as good as it gets.

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    Don't forget about puzzle quest

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2008
    And so we see the problem with recommending DS games, they just keep going and going and going until you've listed the whole library save titles that end in "Z", involve most animals (see item 1 paragraph 2 'BabyZ' 'HorseZ' 'CatZ' etc.), or are based on movies.

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Oh...if you don't walk much, you better start. Seriously. At least 15 minutes a day.

Otherwise...you WILL suffer.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oh...if you don't walk much, you better start. Seriously. At least 15 minutes a day.

On this line:

BRING COMFORTABLE SHOES

I made the mistake of bringing worn out shoes and woe is me did I regret it.

JPants on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    JPants wrote: »

On this line:

BRING COMFORTABLE SHOES

I made the mistake of bringing worn out shoes and woe is me did I regret it.

Or new insoles at the very least.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    DopeskiDopeski Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hmm, I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to anywhere. What day do we sign up for tournaments? Is it the day of? And where can we do it? Last year my friends and I went for only 1 day (Believe me, I wanted to go for all 3!) and we completely missed out on all the tournaments. This year we want to be prepared.

Thanks!

Dopeski on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Dopeski wrote: »
    Hmm, I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to anywhere. What day do we sign up for tournaments? Is it the day of? And where can we do it? Last year my friends and I went for only 1 day (Believe me, I wanted to go for all 3!) and we completely missed out on all the tournaments. This year we want to be prepared.

Thanks!

All tournaments you sign up for Day of.

For console tournament sign ups you go to console tournament
    For PC tournament sign ups you go to PC tournament
    For tabletop tournament sign ups the best place for that is the Main tabletop desk

For said locations consult the map you have in your PAX program which you will get day of PAX. A show map might be released before PAX.

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ooo, thanks for the quick response. :-)

Hmm, I'm guessing you have to be there first thing in the morning to sign up right?

Dopeski on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Hmm, I'm guessing you have to be there first thing in the morning to sign up right?

Pretty much.
    Most of the tournaments fill up within an hour or two of PAX opening.

If you want to play in one, best bet is to stand in line before PAX opens

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    BigRed wrote: »

Pretty much.
    Most of the tournaments fill up within an hour or two of PAX opening.

If you want to play in one, best bet is to stand in line before PAX opens

Great, thanks for the tip! :-)

Dopeski on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

And amazingly it will improve your general quality of life as well.

Now I've been thinking about picking up a camcorder to take with me since you seem to see a decent number of people in the videos with them. Is it worth it though and enough worth shooting that I won't regret carrying it around? Or will I probably be kicking myself the first time I end up in the BYOC area dumping it onto my computer because it's full?

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Now I've been thinking about picking up a camcorder to take with me since you seem to see a decent number of people in the videos with them. Is it worth it though and enough worth shooting that I won't regret carrying it around? Or will I probably be kicking myself the first time I end up in the BYOC area dumping it onto my computer because it's full?

Depends on how patient you are. You could not film everything, and wait for the official PAX DVD.

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    You mean the one we're still waiting for?

Also, you could film the CCST, because we need more people getting video on that.

Although, if everything goes well, I'll have a couple film major friends going documentary style on our asses.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2008
    Yea I wanted to do some CCST definately. Suppose we'll see if that whole film major thing pans out and how my finances are sitting at the time.

By the way I think we should all buy these for our DS's (DSes? DSeses? DS? What the hell's the plural of DS?) and then have a nerf DS fight. Just wing em at each other.:lol:

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • Options
    bowlofpetuniasbowlofpetunias Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    if I end up doing CCST, I'll definitely have my Digital SLR for some great photo-journalistic shots... or shots of jackassery-- or both!

bowlofpetunias on
  • Options
    FallenEverdarkFallenEverdark Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    In fact, throw out all Axe/Tag body sprays you and your friends own. You will be doing them a favor and society at large a great service.

While I disagree since I love the way Axe smells on my dude, it is NOT a good idea to use it at a CON. The body spray is a BIG NO NO. At 06 Tag body spray was in all the swag bags, and it smelled TERRIBLE in some areas. TOO MANY PEOPLE NOT ENOUGH SHOWERS TAKEN!

The stick deodarant is fine, but ONLY IF YOU SHOWER!
    PLEASE
    PLEASE
    PLEASE
    shower. For the love of all your fellow con goers. <3

FallenEverdark on
    99385a13f2cb9_48x48.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm thinking that I should carry a wire brush on my belt. Not as a threat.

As a promise.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yea if you're going to do one or the other go with the shower.

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • Options
    JimJonesEsquireJimJonesEsquire Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This thread has been really helpful this is my first PAX, but I have a question how much do cigarettes cost in in Seattle? Like the major brands Camels,Basics (because I'm cheap), and Newports or should I just stock up before I go?

JimJonesEsquire on
  • Options
    ProjektSoulProjektSoul Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Just a quick question, since Liger mentioned something of interest to me...how does one become an Omeganaut? =)

ProjektSoul on

TheProjektSoul.jpg
  • Options
    RelativioxRelativiox Halo Nerd Forerunner shield world OnyxRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Just a quick question, since Liger mentioned something of interest to me...how does one become an Omeganaut? =)

Just check the button that says, "I want to be considered to be an Omeganaut" when you pre-reg. That simple. Oh, and get called and answer and accept. But that is just luck.

Relativiox on
    iris_forumsig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    There's only 20 Omeganauts, last year's runner-up and 19 randomly selected individuals who pre-registered for PAX before the drawing.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.